What is the "Website Navigation Bar" used for ?

My running/working "AutoPlay Toggle On/Off" stopped working on day last
week.
Been "fixing" my SeaMonkey Menu "Bars" since I RE-INSTALLED the
"AutoPlay Toggle On/Off" and it  boogered up my SM setup.
Installing that add-on changed my settings W/O ASKING ME !

OK....my question -  what does the "Website Navigation Bar" DO ?
it is greyed out right now.   It has (left to right):
"Top....Up....First......Previous.....Next.....Last.....Document....More......Subscribe"
Greyed out !  I tried looking up what it is for, but get nonsense
(gibberish) web sites
THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO TELL ME WHAT IT IS FOR.

BTW - How can I trust Mozilla's functions if they change my established,
running system
when I install a function ?  THAT is not right !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
9/21/2020 5:46:54 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13721 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 9/21/20 6:46 AM, DoctorBill wrote:

> OK....my question -  what does the "Website Navigation Bar" DO ?
> it is greyed out right now.   It has (left to right):
> "Top....Up....First......Previous.....Next.....Last.....Document....More......Subscribe"

A web page can have certain metadata that identifies other pages to
which the user might want to navigate, named as in the list you quoted.
This might be useful, eg, for an online manual. According to the
metadata available in the page being shown, the browser will enable the
corresponding toolbar buttons.

This is a feature from the 90s that's not much used now, as developers
prefer to ship megabytes of buggy JavaScript to achieve the same thing.

You probably want

  View>Show/Hide>Website Navigation Bar>Show Only As Needed

/df

--
London
UK
Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 9/21/20 6:46 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
>>
>> OK....my question -  what does the "Website Navigation Bar" DO ?
>> it is greyed out right now.   It has (left to right):
>> "Top....Up....First......Previous.....Next.....Last.....Document....More......Subscribe"

> A web page can have certain metadata that identifies other pages to
> which the user might want to navigate, named as in the list you quoted.
> This might be useful, eg, for an online manual. According to the
> metadata available in the page being shown, the browser will enable the
> corresponding toolbar buttons.
>
> This is a feature from the 90s that's not much used now, as developers
> prefer to ship megabytes of buggy JavaScript to achieve the same thing.
>
> You probably want
>
>   View>Show/Hide>Website Navigation Bar>Show Only As Needed
>
> /df

OK.  Thanks.  I set it to "Only As Needed" - but I'd probably never use
it sice
I have no idea what you described !  Do you have a link where one might
use that ?
As an example, as it were !

DB
0
DoctorBill
9/21/2020 3:19:43 PM
On 9/21/20 1:46 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
> My running/working "AutoPlay Toggle On/Off" stopped working on day last=
=20
> week.
> Been "fixing" my SeaMonkey Menu "Bars" since I RE-INSTALLED the=20
> "AutoPlay Toggle On/Off" and it=C2=A0 boogered up my SM setup.
> Installing that add-on changed my settings W/O ASKING ME !
>=20
> OK....my question -=C2=A0 what does the "Website Navigation Bar" DO ?
> it is greyed out right now.=C2=A0=C2=A0 It has (left to right):
> "Top....Up....First......Previous.....Next.....Last.....Document....Mor=
e......Subscribe"=20
>=20
> Greyed out !=C2=A0 I tried looking up what it is for, but get nonsense =

> (gibberish) web sites
> THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO TELL ME WHAT IT IS FOR.
>=20
> BTW - How can I trust Mozilla's functions if they change my established=
,=20
> running system
> when I install a function ?=C2=A0 THAT is not right !
>=20
> DoctorBill

Don't know how updated it is, but have you tried using Help > Help=20
Contents from the Menu Bar?

"The Navigation Toolbar, pictured here, helps you move around the Web."

The pictured image is using the SeaMonkey Modern theme, but you can get=20
the idea.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48
9/21/2020 7:33:39 PM
On 2020-09-21, DoctorBill wrote:

> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>> On 9/21/20 6:46 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
>>>
>>> OK....my question -  what does the "Website Navigation Bar" DO ?
>>> it is greyed out right now.   It has (left to right):
>>> "Top....Up....First......Previous.....Next.....Last.....Document....More......Subscribe"

>> A web page can have certain metadata that identifies other pages to
>> which the user might want to navigate, named as in the list you
>> quoted. This might be useful, eg, for an online manual. According to
>> the metadata available in the page being shown, the browser will
>> enable the corresponding toolbar buttons.
>>
>> This is a feature from the 90s that's not much used now, as
>> developers prefer to ship megabytes of buggy JavaScript to achieve
>> the same thing.
>>
>> You probably want
>>
>>   View>Show/Hide>Website Navigation Bar>Show Only As Needed
>>
>> /df
>>

> OK.  Thanks.  I set it to "Only As Needed" - but I'd probably never
> use it sice
> I have no idea what you described !  Do you have a link where one
> might use that ?
> As an example, as it were !
>
> DB

One example of a site which sets these relative links is the SeaMonkey
project website. For example, at

    https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features

"Top" will get you to the site front page,
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/, and "Up" will go to the
documentation section, https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/.

At the front/home page, the atom news feed will be under "Subscribe".

Some webforums and content management systems will also have information
that shows up in the Website Navigation Toolbar, for example, WordPress
shows "Next" and "Previous" to navigate between posts:

    https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/2020/07/07/seamonkey-2-53-3-has-been-released/

--
Nuno Silva
0