SM does not get rid of xxx.msf or xxx.dat on unsubscribing from xxx?

When I unsubscribe from a newsgroup xxx, why does SM not get rid of
the xxx.msf or xxx.dat files in the pppppppp/News/{server} folder.
0
Rostyslaw
7/16/2008 11:43:03 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13721 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
> When I unsubscribe from a newsgroup xxx, why does SM not get rid of
> the xxx.msf or xxx.dat files in the pppppppp/News/{server} folder.

Built in. In case you want to re-subscribe. You can delete them if you wish
0
Moz
7/17/2008 1:47:08 AM
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
>> When I unsubscribe from a newsgroup xxx, why does SM not get rid of
>> the xxx.msf or xxx.dat files in the pppppppp/News/{server} folder.
>

> Built in. In case you want to re-subscribe. You can delete them if you wish

But if I subscribe to a newsgroup xxx to which I was not previously
subscribed, SM builds the necessary xxx.msf file. Also deleting the
..msf file is a commonly prescribed fix for whenever groups article
header list gets out of synch with what's on the server.
So what possible advantage does keeping an old version of xxx.msf
file offer?
Also since the record for xxx in the .rc file _is_ _deleted_ ,
when one unsubscribes, versus just being marked as unsubscribed
(xxx!), when one resubscribes the xxx record in .rc and the xxx.msf
file will be out of synch and xxx.msf will be rebuilt anyway.
--
Rostyk
0
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
>>> the xxx.msf or xxx.dat files in the pppppppp/News/{server} folder.
>>

>> Built in. In case you want to re-subscribe. You can delete them if you
>> wish
>
> But if I subscribe to a newsgroup xxx to which I was not previously
> subscribed, SM builds the necessary xxx.msf file. Also deleting the
> .msf file is a commonly prescribed fix for whenever groups article
> header list gets out of synch with what's on the server.
> So what possible advantage does keeping an old version of xxx.msf
> file offer?
> Also since the record for xxx in the .rc file _is_ _deleted_ ,
> when one unsubscribes, versus just being marked as unsubscribed
> (xxx!), when one resubscribes the xxx record in .rc and the xxx.msf
> file will be out of synch and xxx.msf will be rebuilt anyway.

Keeping the .msf files is not intended to be an advantage. Non deletion
is simply easier and less complicated

I suppose if anyone wanted to, they could write an extension to do the
job, but it hardly seems worth the effort. As I said, you can delete
them if you wish.
1
Moz
7/17/2008 3:01:44 AM
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>

>>> Built in. In case you want to re-subscribe. You can delete them if
>>> you wish
>>
>> But if I subscribe to a newsgroup xxx to which I was not previously
>> subscribed, SM builds the necessary xxx.msf file. Also deleting the
>> .msf file is a commonly prescribed fix for whenever groups article
>> header list gets out of synch with what's on the server.
>> So what possible advantage does keeping an old version of xxx.msf
>> file offer?
>> Also since the record for xxx in the .rc file _is_ _deleted_ ,
>> when one unsubscribes, versus just being marked as unsubscribed
>> (xxx!), when one resubscribes the xxx record in .rc and the xxx.msf
>> file will be out of synch and xxx.msf will be rebuilt anyway.
>
> Keeping the .msf files is not intended to be an advantage.
> Non deletion  is simply easier and less complicated

OF course, or course. :-)

> I suppose if anyone wanted to, they could write an extension to do the
> job, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

I'm at ATT. One of those companies which just stopped carrying
a couple of whole hierarchies of newsgroups. :-(
Picked up ~60meg deleting the .msf and .dat files.

> As I said, you can delete  them if you wish.
0
Rostyslaw

Tarpitting active for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ??
Sending email to a particular domain is giving me a message on GWIA "DMN: Send Failure: 421 4.0.0 Tarpitting active for [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the public IP of my GWIA. What is this? I see some references on the Internet to tarpitting intended as a form of mailbomb protection if you're trying to send to tons of recepients at a particular mail server/domain, but my message only listed 4 recepients. James JJB wrote: > What is this? > > I see some references on the Internet to tarpitting intended as a form of > mailbomb prot...

Did Not receive identification string from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Hello. I was checking my /var/log/messages this morning and found two strings with the above format i.e: - Did not receive identification from 61.152.223.195 Did not receive identification string from 222.242.199.132 Both are appearing as entries for sshd. I have enabled ssh and port 22 is opened. What does this mean? -- gakiimurerwa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:56:02 +0000, gakiimurerwa wrote: > > Hello. > > I was checking my /var/log/messages this morning and found two string...

request for authentication with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/ipp
When I use the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/ipp tool to install a printer or to install the ipp client, I get a request to authenticate. To authenticate, I have to use the full user context identification ie. efarmer.mt.mvctc. Ironically, if I cancel the authentication--do no authentication-- I can still do the same updates, no problem. Is there a way to not have the request for authentication come up? If not, is there a way to have contextless login? Ed There is no way currently to use contextless login with iprint. As far as authenticating on port 631, there should...

Received a Decline packet for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
I get these errors every once in a while Received a Decline packet for address... Today I noticed that the IP address it has listed was being used (DHCP) earlier, but the person using that machine has rebooted so it grabbed a new IP. Now that machine is holding 2 IP addresses, one Dynamic (in use) and the other one is marked Unathorized by the DNS/DHCP client. For some reason DHCP is holding onto that IP address for the machine even though it's not using it. I wanted to manually release it, but the only option I could see was "Delete" and that doesn't sound good. I ...

Someone on address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx wants to send ICMP packet to your machine?
application tcpip.kernal driver Anyone know what this is? the IP address resolves to serial1-10.xxx.xxxx.alter.net. I keep getting the same request over and over again Thanks SE "Lawrence Baldwin" <baldwinL@mynetwatchman.com> wrote in message news:a6o8pu$259o$1@news.grc.com... > Given that the source is a UUnet router, this could be the root cause: > http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/security/backscat.htm > "SE" <watertoo@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:a6m3uv$2sa4$1@news.grc.com... > > application tcpip.kernal dri...

use of Inherits="xxx.xxx.xxx"
Can someone please tell me the exact use of Inherits word used in the page level directive? example, <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="default_new.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="myapp.default_new" %> thanks in advancefeed the creative machine Hi, taken from this url: @ Page I found this: Inherits Defines a code-behind class for the page to inherit. This can be any class derived from the Page class. For information about code-behind classes, see Web Forms Code Model. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. H...

IP alerts in ZAP for 216.xxx.xxx.xxx
Hi I have been getting a lot of alerts from IP's begining with the IP 216. It always appears to try and get in on port 80. These have been happening at an interval of about every 5 to 10 min. The rest of the IP number after 216 is different but some are the same. this has been happening for several days now Is there any need to worry about this?? Thanks in advance Examples The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (HTTP) from 216.214.141.171 (TCP Port 2535) [TCP Flags: S]. Time: 8/10/2001 9:14:30 AM The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer...

NTP server error.
Just switched all our servers over from timesync to ntp. I have setup 2 servers, one on each side of a wan link to get time from the internet and also be peer to peer with each other. I get the following error on the one. - peer authentication failure Unable to take time from the server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as the keys are not matching. Ensure that you have the right keys I looked for the error, but couldn't find it. Any ideas here? Thanks Bill Hmmm, I didn't think NTP required any form of authentication or used keys at all. In any case you might run sdidiag an...

What about 169.254.xxx.xxx ?
Steve, Thought you might like to add to the web pages somewhere that Microsoft Windows' single desktops that aren't already in a Network often "autoconfig" their LAN cards to: 169.254.xxx.xxx at bootup! Any idea why they do that? I looked it up at IANA, and it comes back as: =========================================== NetRange: 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 CIDR: 169.254.0.0/16 NetName: LINKLOCAL NetHandle: NET-169-254-0-0-1 Parent: NET-169-0-0-0-0 NetType: IANA Special Use NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IA...

Receive a decline packet for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxt/unauthorized assignment type
Hi, I am running netware 5.1 sp7 and dhcpsrvr 313c and this is the dilemma: I am receiving decline packets on the dhcp server console and the addresses that are showing up are in the dhcp console with an assignment type of Unauthorized. If I check through the IP range the machine that holds the Unauthorized assignment type will have more than one IP address listed for each machine that is reporting this error. I tried TID 10014757 and had the SET UNAUTHORIZED IP SCAN INTERVAL =1. That released the IP's back to dynamic so I changed it to =8 so that it would have less impact on the netw...

xxx
Name: Dzeen Email: hicksichatmaildotru Product: Firefox Summary: xxx Comments: фаерфокс реально жжот. крутой бровсер) Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 ...

xxx
Name: internetcafe Product: Bon Echo Summary: xxx Comments: aa Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1 ...

xxx
Name: Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: xxx Comments: Best Firefox yet. Opens much much quicker. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

xxx
[This followup was posted to mozilla.test and a copy was sent to the cited author.] ...

Web resources about - SM does not get rid of xxx.msf or xxx.dat on unsubscribing from xxx? - mozilla.support.seamonkey

Gmail makes unsubscribing from pesky mailing lists easier in new web update
Google has just announced a new feature for Gmail web users that should make it a lot easier to unsubscribe to any mailing lists they might be ...

Unsubscribing From Unwanted Email
Image by Getty Images via Daylife There's a sense out there that clicking on an unsubscribe link will just give your email address to more spammers. ...

New Gmail Feature Makes Unsubscribing from E-Mail Lists Easier
Ever been frustrated in your attempts to unsubscribe from a mailing list? Links that allow you to change communication preferences may be mandated ...

Unsubscribing from email: how top fashion retailers try to persuade you to stay
Signing up to receive a retailer’s email newsletters always seems like a good idea at the time, but it’s almost inevitable that at some point ...

Gmail Just Made Unsubscribing From Bulk Emails Easier Than Ever
You probably still get a bunch of bulk emails, simply because it's a pain scrolling around to find the elusive "Unsubscribe" link. Gmail just ...

Unsubscribing simplified Email is a handy way to get updates from your favorite…
Unsubscribing simplified Email is a handy way to get updates from your favorite brands, social networks, discussion boards and more. But sometimes ...

Unfriending, Unfollowing, Unsubscribing... Less Is More
The world of social media and networking is much too consumed with numbers , and it seems at times, we are making sacrifices of our time and ...

Too much unwanted email? Use these tricks for identifying and unsubscribing
Reader Betina Baylor would like to do something about removing her name from marketing email. She writes: Over the years I’ve purchased items ...

The Dreadful Cycle of Unsubscribing
... you continue to receive those emails SEE ALSO: More Comics on Mashable In this comic, Manu Cornet from Bonkers World points out that unsubscribing ...

Google Eases Unsubscribing; Facebook Drops Its E-Mail
No matter what new technologies come out, e-mail is still one of the most common forms of communication, with more than 2 billion users. It's ...