How so I make Seamonkey use the system default browser (chrome)?

I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses Seamonkey's browser. 
How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've been 
using Seamonkey for decades - this is not a newbie's uninformed question.
0
flyguy
12/2/2020 3:21:44 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13721 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
295 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 2
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

flyguy wrote:
> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses 
> Seamonkey's browser. How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in 
> Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've been using Seamonkey for decades - 
> this is not a newbie's uninformed question.

I think you would need to change some settings in about:config for 
network protocol external handlers.  I am not certain about which ones 
would be essential for that.  Possibly:

network.protocol-handler.external.ps -> true
network.protocol-handler.external.tps -> true
network.protocol-handler.external.ttp -> true
network.protocol-handler.external.ttps -> true

You would need to experiment to see which are needed.
0
EE
12/2/2020 8:29:53 PM
On 2020-12-02 10:21 a.m., flyguy wrote:
> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses 
> Seamonkey's browser. How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in 
> Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've been using Seamonkey for decades - 
> this is not a newbie's uninformed question.

Hi flyguy,
If you click on a link in SeaMonkey mail and newsgroups, it will open in 
the SeaMonkey browser, regardless of what your system default is set to. 
SeaMonkey is hard-coded to do that.

-- 
Newsgroup moderator
0
Chris
12/2/2020 9:08:05 PM
Chris Ilias wrote on 12/2/2020 1:08 PM:
> On 2020-12-02 10:21 a.m., flyguy wrote:
>> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses Seamonkey's browser. 
>> How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've 
>> been using Seamonkey for decades - this is not a newbie's uninformed question.
> 
> Hi flyguy,
> If you click on a link in SeaMonkey mail and newsgroups, it will open in the SeaMonkey browser, 
> regardless of what your system default is set to. SeaMonkey is hard-coded to do that.

How about this extension I just discovered:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/

Are there any side effects from using this? Anyone here using it?
0
flyguy
12/2/2020 9:30:37 PM
On 02/12/2020 15:21, flyguy wrote:
> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses 
> Seamonkey's browser. How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in 
> Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've been using Seamonkey for decades - 
> this is not a newbie's uninformed question.

This is a long-standing (but not quite as long as your use of the 
program, even if that can't be longer than 1.5 decades) "feature":
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108455>

Perhaps try this, which is the closest to a fix I've heard about:
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/>

/df

-- 
London
UK
0
Dirk
12/2/2020 11:38:49 PM
Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 12/2/2020 3:38 PM:
> On 02/12/2020 15:21, flyguy wrote:
>> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses Seamonkey's browser. 
>> How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've 
>> been using Seamonkey for decades - this is not a newbie's uninformed question.
> 
> This is a long-standing (but not quite as long as your use of the program, even if that can't 
> be longer than 1.5 decades) "feature":
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108455>
> 
> Perhaps try this, which is the closest to a fix I've heard about:
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/>
> 
> /df

I started with Netscape and continued all the way to Seamonkey 2.53.4 so "decades" in that 
sense ;^)

0
flyguy
12/3/2020 12:43:50 AM
flyguy wrote on 3/12/2020 2:21 AM:
> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses 
> Seamonkey's browser. How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in 
> Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've been using Seamonkey for decades - 
> this is not a newbie's uninformed question.

flyguy, when you think about it, SeaMonkey is just one program, so when 
in the "Mail & News" screen, you click on a link another part of the one 
program starts up to display that screen!!

However, there used to be a preference which you could change so that, 
when you clicked a link in the "Mail & News" screen, the link would show 
in your chosen Browser.

Unfortunately, I think that preference has been removed/disabled. ;-(

But, that raises the question, flyguy .... If the email part of 
SeaMonkey is based on Thunderbird and you want to use Chrome as your 
browser, why are you sticking with SeaMonkey and not switching to 
Thunderbird for your email??
-- 
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
12/3/2020 4:12:22 AM
flyguy wrote:
> How about this extension I just discovered:
> 
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/ 
> 
> 
> Are there any side effects from using this? Anyone here using it?

I've been using that add-on for a couple of months now, currently with 
SM 2.53.5.1, using SM as my mail client and Firefox as my browser. Works 
great!  -JW
0
J
12/3/2020 5:15:34 AM
Daniel wrote on 12/2/2020 8:12 PM:
> flyguy wrote on 3/12/2020 2:21 AM:
>> I've set Chrome as my system default, but Seamonkey still shows and uses Seamonkey's browser. 
>> How do I get it to use Chrome when I click links in Seamonkey mail? Please note that I've 
>> been using Seamonkey for decades - this is not a newbie's uninformed question.
> 
> flyguy, when you think about it, SeaMonkey is just one program, so when in the "Mail & News" 
> screen, you click on a link another part of the one program starts up to display that screen!!
> 
> However, there used to be a preference which you could change so that, when you clicked a link 
> in the "Mail & News" screen, the link would show in your chosen Browser.
> 
> Unfortunately, I think that preference has been removed/disabled. ;-(
> 
> But, that raises the question, flyguy .... If the email part of SeaMonkey is based on 
> Thunderbird and you want to use Chrome as your browser, why are you sticking with SeaMonkey and 
> not switching to Thunderbird for your email??
I'm happy with SM email, so I'm avoiding the hassle of setting up a new email program. If it 
causes me problems in the future, I'll take a look at Thunderbird. So far, no problems, unlike 
the SM browser, which has had increasing problems with sites over the last couple of years that 
Chrome handles well. My wife hates SM with Facebook, like Chrome with Facebook, and that's what 
began our transition to Chrome. Chrome also seems to work easier and smoother; eg, auto updates.
0
flyguy
12/3/2020 10:48:59 PM
Reply: