Firefox keeps running in the background after I quit

Hi there:
I found something strange with Firefox. I have been using Firefox from
its early versions many years ago (I am a fan of it), nowdays I am
using the latest version for Windows Vista (3.5.7).
The problem: When I quit Firefox everything seems right, but then when
I try to clean all my cache using CCleaner I receive the message that
I must close Firefox first to clean my cache (I have already closed
Firefox). I launch Windows Task Manager and although Firefox doesn't
show in "Applications" lo and behold it shows Firefox in "processes".
After I end Firefox from Task Manager I can run Ccleaner without a
problem.
If I try to relaunch Firefox before terminating it with Task Manager I
receive the message that Firefox is running but not responding.
In other words Firefox keeps running in the background.

0
Alberto
1/15/2010 12:28:17 AM
mozilla.support.planning 663 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Firefox keeps running in the background!
Name: Atul Dixit Email: dratuldixit"gmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox keeps running in the background! Comments: I am a heavy user of Firefox. Thank you Team Firefox. Of late I am facing a problem. After closing the browser, when I open it again, I get a message "Firefox is running in the background. First close it and try again". As a result, I have to reboot my system to be able to use Firefox again. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2b5) Gecko/20091204 Firefox/3.6b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox 3.6 keeps running in the background for a long time after I close the program
After I shut down Firefox 3.6, safe mode or not, the program keeps running a long time in the background and it eats up tremendous (>98%) amounts of my ram. I used Sysinternal's Process Explorer to determine that this is the case. Can anybody tell me what's going on here? On a couple of occasions, I've actually had to shut the program down by using the Task Manager. TIA -- John Corliss On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 03:32:46 -0800, John Corliss <q34wsk20@yahoo.com> wrote: >After I shut down Firefox 3.6, safe mode or not, the program keeps >running a l...

New release 2.0.0 does not apple-q quit or Firefox-Quit quit, application stays running
Name: Steven Bender Email: bitbanger55atmacdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: New release 2.0.0 does not apple-q quit or Firefox-Quit quit, application stays running Comments: I'm running iBook G4 with MacOSX 10.3.9 Panther and after updating to the new version of the Firefox 2.0.0.3 downloaded on 2007-04-28, I can no longer close the application using the apple-Q key combination, or the dropdown menu Firefox-quit firefox. I consider this a serious bug. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

After closing Firefox 3.5.3, firefox.exe keeps running
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: After closing Firefox 3.5.3, firefox.exe keeps running Comments: After closing Firefox 3.5.3 by clicking X, firefox.exe keeps running for minutes, with spikes of high CPU usage. This issue is terribly common. Happens 8-9 out of 10 times and has been present since Firefox 3.5.0. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 GTB5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you mus...

firefox running in background
Name: stephanie Product: Firefox Summary: firefox running in background Comments: uninstalled and re-installed several times yet firefox says when i try to start it that it is running in the background and its not running nor is their an app or process that i can see in the task manager. Thus I cant use firefox at all Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you...

firefox keeps running
Name: sunny Email: harjinderpaulathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: firefox keeps running Comments: even when closed the new firefox beta keeps on running.. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 GTB5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox is already closed but still running on background.. closed firefox using CTRL-W
Name: Mike Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox is already closed but still running on background.. closed firefox using CTRL-W Comments: I have a habit of pressing CTRL-W to quickly turn off tabs inside firefox. And i even close Firefox by pressing CTRL-W repeatedly until all the tabs are gone instead of pressing ALT-F4. Having thought that I have closed Firefox, I double clicked on my firefox icon and receive a message that "Firefox is already running, please close the browser or restart the system." I turn on my task manager and finds firefox still running although i...

new Firefox keeps quitting
Name: Laura Camp Email: lcampatsstxdotorg Product: Firefox Summary: new Firefox keeps quitting Comments: Till further notice - I'm through with Firefox. My MacBook Pro hates the new FF 3.0 It keeps flaming out and then asking me if I want to restore the session. Back to Safari. Pity cuz I was a real FFox fan when Explorer was the alternative lmc Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Support Firefox Day planning
Hi everyone, It's time to plan the Firefox 3 release Support Firefox Day. As Live Chat has the least amount of work needed (relatively) going in to the release I've volunteered to coordinate planning this time around. *Planning meeting Wednesday June 9th, 10am PDT* We're going to have a phone meeting very soon to kick off the planning and hopefully solidify most of the details. If you're interested in helping out this time around, or if you just have some comments about the last SFD that you think we should address please call in! If you can't call in please...

Firefox Running in Background after closed
Name: Martha Harrell Email: harrellmarthaatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Running in Background after closed Comments: Re: a Win XP Pro/early release w/upgrades. 1. Situation. In the past 2 months or so, Firefox grabs up to 200MB of memory & remains running in the background at lower mem level (50-100K as I recall). 2. Effects. The main effect from this and possibly other XP/hardware issues is the system 1) advises Virtual Mem is low & being increased,* 2) lately & regularly, 100% PC usage essentially requiring reboot. *Yes, several prog...

Firefox sometimes continues to run in the background
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox sometimes continues to run in the background Comments: Often, when I close the browser. it fails to shut down completely and does not allow my system to shut down. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100105 Firefox/3.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

firefox.exe is still running after quit
Name: Werner Schultheis Email: wschultheisatfreenetdotde Product: Firefox Summary: firefox.exe is still running after quit Comments: often firefox.exe is still running after quit of firefox (3.0.11, Windows XP SP3), restart impossible. Work around: stop firefox.exe in task manager or restart system. regards werner Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you ...

Firefox Continues to run in background after closing down
Name: Tyler Baumann Email: ducmonkeyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Continues to run in background after closing down Comments: When I close Firefox down, the screen disappears and seems to close, but when I go to open firefox again later, a message box appears telling me that firefox is already running. When I check the task manager, the firefox.exe is still running. I have to use the "end process" command and then restart firefox. THis is only with the beta - help! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2...

Web resources about - Firefox keeps running in the background after I quit - mozilla.support.planning

Discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The accidental discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation is a major development in modern physical cosmology . Although predicted by ...

Android App OStream Speeds Up Facebook Experience By Synchronizing Content In Background
Facebook’s newly revamped Android application was rebuilt with a focus on speed, and startup oStream wants to help users of devices on that operating ...

Background for Dick Armey’s Endorsement of “Nothing for the Nation”
To truly grasp the profound nature of Dick Armey’s endorsement of Nothing for the Nation: Who Got What Out of Iraq, one must understand the events ...

Facebook Photos Gets Polish: White Background, Bigger Images That Load Faster
... Facebook product manager Justin Shaffer describes a new version of Facebook’s photo viewer coming out now. In place of the black lightbox background ...

Easy Background Tasks in ASP.NET
As I work on the badge implementation for Stack Overflow, I needed a way to call the code that detects and awards the badges out of band. Traditionally ...

Camera Amazing with Pictures Background Remover for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch ...
Get Camera Amazing with Pictures Background Remover on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Obama tightening online loophole for gun sales, requiring background checks
... and Explosives to require those selling guns, whether at a flea market or online, to register as a firearms dealer and to perform background ...

THE WORLD’S GREATEST GUN SALESMAN: Nearly 25 million background checks in 2015 alone
... 100 million firearms have been sold during the Obama presidency . Now, ia Gun Free Zone we get the latest data dump on federal firearm background ...

Obama Broadening Background Check Requirements for Gun Sellers
The Obama administration is broadening the definition of who qualifies as a gun dealer as part of a package of executive actions intended to ...

Obama moves to close loopholes for gun background checks
The administration on Monday announced a series of executive actions they'll implement to reduce gun violence