using more than one "firefox compat" -- howto specify a firefox to use a specific profile path

I'd like to be able to install alternate versions of firefox without
trashing
my main version.

Is it possible to install a registry key, so that if
I want to try a different version, I could have it invoke with
a different profile specification all the time so I could use different
shortcuts on my system to use specific versions?

Thanks!
Linda

0
LAWalsh

On 01/01/2014 05:11 PM, LAWalsh wrote:
> I'd like to be able to install alternate versions of firefox without
> trashing
> my main version.
>
> Is it possible to install a registry key, so that if
> I want to try a different version, I could have it invoke with
> a different profile specification all the time so I could use different
> shortcuts on my system to use specific versions?
>

> Thanks!
> Linda

These may help you.

[Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles)

[Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge
Base](http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager)

I use the stand alone profile manager to manage the profiles for my 3
installations of release, beta and Nightly versions.

[Profile Manager |
MDN](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Profile_Manager)

Old screen shot of my setup using the stand alone profile manager.

<http://imgur.com/UKwfFPb>

0
WaltS
1/2/2014 12:18:15 AM
WaltS wrote:

> These may help you.
>
> [Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles |
> Firefox
> Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles)
>

> [Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge
> Base](http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager)
>
> I use the stand alone profile manager to manage the profiles for my 3
> installations of release, beta and Nightly versions.
>
> ----
Yeah, found various links that claim to do what I want...

Need to be able to try some different versions w/o burning my bridges...

Thanks!

0
Linda
1/2/2014 5:59:44 AM
Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> WaltS wrote:
>>

>> These may help you.
>>
>> [Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles |
>> Firefox
>> Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles)
>>

>> [Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge
>> Base](http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager)
>>
>> I use the stand alone profile manager to manage the profiles for my 3
>> installations of release, beta and Nightly versions.
>>
>> ----
> Yeah, found various links that claim to do what I want...
>
> Need to be able to try some different versions w/o burning my bridges...
>
> Thanks!

The last time I tried this on Windows 7 the install of the test version
in a different place set the Windows 7 default firefox to the last
version I had installed.  And when I uninstalled the test version,
windows was just broken until I reinstalled the base version.  So be
warned.  (I can't be sure this is still the case).

Also, you can launch firefox with a profile option naming the profile to
be used.  I thus make a shortcut with the test profile named.  The
option looks like pathoftestversion\firefox -P profilename
0
Millwood
1/2/2014 4:15:57 PM
Millwood wrote:

> The last time I tried this on Windows 7 the install of the test
> version in a different place set the Windows 7 default firefox to the
> last version I had installed.  And when I uninstalled the test
> version, windows was just broken until I reinstalled the base
> version.  So be warned.  (I can't be sure this is still the case).
----
   I'd expect this to still be true, as the installers mess w/the
registry so an installed
version can be the default browser.  So am expecting to have to fix such
things.

> Also, you can launch firefox with a profile option naming the profile
> to be used.  I thus make a shortcut with the test profile named.  The
> option looks like pathoftestversion\firefox -P profilename
----
The above is what I want for now... so I can keep FF or TB's "internal
options" separate from
each other.

Too bad FF wasn't designed so that multiple instances could use the same
profile and not
lock it.

Would have been alot easier to have each FF window run in a separate
process and get a
fully multithreaded / multiprocessor FF with an active and separate
profile manager that
talks to the instances  for storing and sharing long-term data (would be
approaching the
multithreading of FF from the other direction -- allowing multi
instances of FF to talk
to 1 session manager -- but this is just some musing on my part...;-)).

0
Linda

How to remove "Set Up Firefox Sync" button and related "Sync" items using userChrome.css on Firefox 4.0 final
I'm reporting this question in hopes someone else will see it. Hi all, I've already done my homework and found a page (http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla/topics/exploitable_vulnerability_in_firefox_sync) detailing the necessary items to be put into userChrome.css. However, when I try the options detailed by the author, I still see that "Set Up Firefox Sync" under Tools > Options > Sync. Basically, it doesn't seem to work. I've pasted the below into my userChrome.css but I still see the Set Up Firefox Sync button. menu[label="Tools"] m...

I have been happily using firefox, now, suddenly, cannot get in, browse or use my email or anything to do with firefox. I have downloaded new version and still no result. Is there a "worm" against fir
Name: judith nelson Email: jitkaauatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I have been happily using firefox, now, suddenly, cannot get in, browse or use my email or anything to do with firefox. I have downloaded new version and still no result. Is there a "worm" against firefox? Comments: There is no response to any firefox tabs when i click on them, however, the apple safari tabs work fine and so do internet explorer tabs, which keep asking me to select them as the default - I have reset everything to do with making firefox my default browser and have installed an...

Firefox Made Me Sad Because I can't use "Firefox Made Me Sad Because"
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Made Me Sad Because I can't use "Firefox Made Me Sad Because" Comments: I am running 4.0 beta 7, which I downloaded TODAY. I went to give feedback, and was told I had to download the newest beta. When I checked, the newest beta was still 4.0 beta 7. The original feedback I wanted to submit was that the lack of a status bar is very annoying. I can't see what address a link goes to, and I can't see whether a failed load is even connecting or what's going on. Boo :-( Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U...

FireFox doesn't tell how to "Stop Google from using Firefox Geolocation Feature"
Name: alq Email: alqattpgdotcomdotau Product: Firefox Summary: FireFox doesn't tell how to "Stop Google from using Firefox Geolocation Feature" Comments: Where: Firefox Support Forum Page: "Stop Google from using Firefox Geolocation Feature" does not have an answer for doing it. This frustrates me as I like Firefox, but due to history and my preference for privacy when browsing, I am very wary of anything to do with Google. I find it insulting that I have to read through so many mental gymnastics relating to Google Privacy, only to have it...

Using "tab" key on any version of Firefox using a Mac
Name: Penn Product: Firefox Summary: Using "tab" key on any version of Firefox using a Mac Comments: I have noticed that when using a Mac and Firefox, when attempting to advance fields on a form using the "tab" key, the function works properly unless the next field is a drop-down menu or a check box: Firefox then skips over that field. I do not experience this problem when using a PC or Safari. In future versions of Firefox for Mac, it would be nice to see this problem remedied. Other than that, Firefox is GREAT. Thank you so much for all you have done! ...

"Padding" does not space correctly in Firefox 3 while using "px" as the unit.
Name: Aaron Jacobs Email: samusaaron3atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: "Padding" does not space correctly in Firefox 3 while using "px" as the unit. Comments: In Firefox 3 for Mac OSX (I am using a computer with a PowerPC Processor), the spacing for "Padding" is incorrect while using "px" as the unit (it seems to be too large). You can view an example at the following address: http://naturedesigns.net/sep/about.html The names of each person should start at the tops of their respective pictures. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0...

session expires in firefox when using mode="sqlserver" cookieless="false"
hi when i uses mode="sqlserver" and cookieless="false" to store session in the sqlserver2005.  The session expires after first login  when jump to any page(click on any link). At seccond login time it doesn't expire.  but Works fine for IE. any one know the solution, Plz help me.  Thanks in advance....

Firefox 3 Beta 2 menus inconsistently use "..." and "…"
Name: Patrick Bernier Email: patatTZoNEdotORG Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 2 menus inconsistently use "..." and "…" Comments: I am running Firefox 3 Beta 2, English version, on a Japanese version of Windows XP. The "Help" menu looks like this: Report Broken web site… Report Web Forgery... Check for Updates… It looks very inconsistent and not very professional. IMHO all English menus should simply use three ASCII periods. Besides, the glyph for … tends to look very different depending on the font used (sometimes it's on the...

can't open my Firefox profile because it is "in use"?????
When I try to open a link from some program, and I already have Firefox 3.6x running, first I get the box/menu where I chose which profile I want to use, and when I choose the one that is currently open I get the error message that "Firefox cannot use the profile 3.6 because it is in use", and I'm told to close it or choose a different profile. This is annoying and I'd like to find a way to be able to open links in the Firefox that is currently running. Any suggestions? John On 12/31/2010 03:09 PM, jbclem wrote: > When I try to open a link from some p...

the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox
Name: ets3rodamar@hotmail.com Email: ets3rodamarathotmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox Comments: I received the following info when I tried to access the "Help Central" service of "Windows Live" "http://g.live.com/9uxp9en-us/ftr2?productkey=wlhomepage"...: https://account.live.com/error.aspx?errcode=1047&mkt=de-de [quote] Browser wird nicht unterstützt Versuchen Sie, Ihren Browser auf eine neuere Version zu aktualisieren, um sich be...

when using "firefox gp"
Name: meir Email: meirabatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: when using "firefox gp" Comments: when using "firefox gp" i tested this url: http://www.jeep.com/en/commander/index.html this site is in english but the text next to the picture is not located where it should be. (overlap problem). Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) ...

Firefox uses Firefox.

Firefox add-on "slogger" no longer supported with Firefox 3.x
Hello everyone, I did some research on my own to find a replacement or a way to make it work with Firefox 3.x since I found it so convenient. Since this was not really successful I turn to the group if anyone has advice :-) slogger is an add-on that (as I configured it) keeps a monthly log of URLs that I loaded (with timestamps) and a text-only-version of the pages (named with the timestamp) so that I can do full-text-search. Whenever I didn't remember where I had been seeing some information I searched through these logs and I did find what I was looking for quite ...

Using IE's ActiveX Control for Firefox "Compatibility Mode"
I'd love to change some of my customers' users over to Firefox permanently, but there's always the handful of sites they just *gotta* use in IE (e.g., Web-based timesheet app that requires IE). The "IE View" extension would help, but... Would it be practical to extend Firefox on Windows to offer a compatibility mode that actually uses the IE engine? Bookmarks flagged as "view in IE compatibility mode" would launch in a tab/window that used IE's control for viewing the HTML instead of Gecko. That tab/window would keep using IE's control for all ...

BrowserBookmarksApplet, and "firefox -chrome ..." can't use default profile
First, a shameless plug about the Gnome panel applet that I wrote to access my bookmarks: http://browserbookapp.sourceforge.net/ It's still a work-in-progress, but it should read the right bookmarks file if your preferred browser is firefox, mozilla, epiphany, galeon, or konqueror. I want to add a menu item that launches the bookmarks manager. For epiphany, it's a simple "epiphany -b". For firefox (or mozilla), I need some help. As per http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Chrome_URLs, I tried "firefox -chrome chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bo...

Web resources about - using more than one "firefox compat" -- howto specify a firefox to use a specific profile path - mozilla.support.firefox