Question on deploying FF 60 with customizations

I run a small computer store, and I'm trying to get all of my clients to
switch to FF, which means that I install FF on all new computers I sell,
and on all computers that come into the shop.

I'm trying to implement the following customizations during install.

Turn on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar
Add a bookmark to both the Bookmarks and Bookmarks toolbar
Install the Canadian English Dictionary
Set the proxy to none.
Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
additional search engines.

I've been doing this with CCK2, but that doesn't seem to work with FF60,
and as far as I can tell, is EOL now that Mozilla is adding enterprise
customizations.

The problem is that I don't have all Windows Pro machines, so Group
Policies are out of the question, and I don't want to run ESR.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

0
Thane

Thane K. Sherrington wrote:
> I run a small computer store, and I'm trying to get all of my clients to
> switch to FF, which means that I install FF on all new computers I sell,
> and on all computers that come into the shop.
>
> I'm trying to implement the following customizations during install.
>
> Turn on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar
> Add a bookmark to both the Bookmarks and Bookmarks toolbar
> Install the Canadian English Dictionary
> Set the proxy to none.
> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
> additional search engines.
>
> I've been doing this with CCK2, but that doesn't seem to work with FF60,
> and as far as I can tell, is EOL now that Mozilla is adding enterprise
> customizations.
>
> The problem is that I don't have all Windows Pro machines, so Group
> Policies are out of the question, and I don't want to run ESR.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Give me your address to avoid sending or buying computers to/from your
store.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
0
Luis
7/12/2018 6:36:09 PM
Thane K. Sherrington wrote, in part:

> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
> additional search engines.

Please reconsider doing the above. Why would you want to restrict your
customers to only a spying company such as Google? Give them this instead:

https://duckduckgo.com/
0
Richard
7/12/2018 7:37:45 PM
On 07/12/2018 01:15 PM, Thane K. Sherrington wrote:
> I run a small computer store, and I'm trying to get all of my clients to
> switch to FF, which means that I install FF on all new computers I sell,
> and on all computers that come into the shop.
>
> I'm trying to implement the following customizations during install.
>
> Turn on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar
> Add a bookmark to both the Bookmarks and Bookmarks toolbar
> Install the Canadian English Dictionary
> Set the proxy to none.
> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
> additional search engines.
>
> I've been doing this with CCK2, but that doesn't seem to work with FF60,
> and as far as I can tell, is EOL now that Mozilla is adding enterprise
> customizations.
>
> The problem is that I don't have all Windows Pro machines, so Group
> Policies are out of the question, and I don't want to run ESR.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Would it be too simple to just setup one PC and then copy the entire
profile folder as a rubber stamp?
C:\users\name\appdata\roaming\Mozilla
If you never run Firefox on a new machine this folder is not there yet.
If you did, you can just remove it and replace it with your rubber stamp
copy.

I do it all the time I load a Virtual Machine or reload my system.

Al
0
Big
7/12/2018 10:31:38 PM
On 12-Jul-18 3:36 PM, Luis via support-firefox wrote:

> Give me your address to avoid sending or buying computers to/from your
> store.
> Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Wow.  Just wow.  Not sure what triggered you, but I was under the
(clearly mistaken) understanding that this was a support list where one
was supposed to ask questions and get support.

0
Thane
7/13/2018 12:53:58 AM
On 12-Jul-18 4:37 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
> Thane K. Sherrington wrote, in part:
>
>> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
>> additional search engines.
> Please reconsider doing the above. Why would you want to restrict your
> customers to only a spying company such as Google? Give them this instead:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/
Yeah, I considered this, but the reason I didn't go with it is that many
of my clients are older, and I'm not sure if they could handle a switch
from familiar Google.

The main reason I was doing this was to try to prevent all the scam
search engines from getting installed (I'm seeing that a lot these days).

0
Thane
7/13/2018 12:55:30 AM
Thane K. Sherrington wrote:

> On 12-Jul-18 4:37 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
>> Thane K. Sherrington wrote, in part:
>>> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
>>> additional search engines.
>>
>> Please reconsider doing the above. Why would you want to restrict your
>> customers to only a spying company such as Google? Give them this
>> instead:
>>
>> https://duckduckgo.com/
>
> Yeah, I considered this, but the reason I didn't go with it is that many
> of my clients are older, and I'm not sure if they could handle a switch
> from familiar Google.

Older?  Heck, I'm approaching the end of septuagenarianhood and I don't
have any problem using different search engines. If they really can't
figure it out, a few minutes of training should take care of it.

> The main reason I was doing this was to try to prevent all the scam
> search engines from getting installed (I'm seeing that a lot these
> days).

That's commendable. But don't stifle them...
0
Richard
7/13/2018 1:08:20 AM
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:15:08 -0300, "Thane K. Sherrington"
<thane@computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:

>I run a small computer store, and I'm trying to get all of my clients to
>switch to FF, which means that I install FF on all new computers I sell,
>and on all computers that come into the shop.
>
>I'm trying to implement the following customizations during install.
>
>Turn on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar
>Add a bookmark to both the Bookmarks and Bookmarks toolbar
>Install the Canadian English Dictionary
>Set the proxy to none.
>Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
>additional search engines.
>
>I've been doing this with CCK2, but that doesn't seem to work with FF60,
>and as far as I can tell, is EOL now that Mozilla is adding enterprise
>customizations.
>
>The problem is that I don't have all Windows Pro machines, so Group
>Policies are out of the question, and I don't want to run ESR.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Check out Autoconfig

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-autoconfig
0
Lab
7/13/2018 3:31:15 AM
In message
<mailman.110.1531444170.17372.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
Richard Alan <ralan@nospam.org> writes:
>Thane K. Sherrington wrote:

>>> Please reconsider doing the above. Why would you want to restrict your
>>> customers to only a spying company such as Google? Give them this
>>> instead:
>>>
>>> https://duckduckgo.com/
>>
>> Yeah, I considered this, but the reason I didn't go with it is that many
>> of my clients are older, and I'm not sure if they could handle a switch
>> from familiar Google.
>
>Older?  Heck, I'm approaching the end of septuagenarianhood and I don't
>have any problem using different search engines. If they really can't
>figure it out, a few minutes of training should take care of it.

The fact that you're here at all means you're probably different from
the majority of his clients!

>> The main reason I was doing this was to try to prevent all the scam
>> search engines from getting installed (I'm seeing that a lot these
>> days).
>
>That's commendable. But don't stifle them...

How would you suggest he prevents the scam search engines from getting
installed (which you approve of) without stifling (which you don't)?
Genuine question ...

Veni Vidi Visa [I came, I saw, I did a little shopping] - Mik from S+AS Limited
(mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> Richard Alan wrote:
>> Thane K. Sherrington wrote:

>>> Yeah, I considered this, but the reason I didn't go with it is that many
>>> of my clients are older, and I'm not sure if they could handle a switch
>>> from familiar Google.
>>
>> Older?  Heck, I'm approaching the end of septuagenarianhood and I don't
>> have any problem using different search engines. If they really can't
>> figure it out, a few minutes of training should take care of it.
>
> The fact that you're here at all means you're probably different from
> the majority of his clients!

Then so am I.
But age++ is no reason for getting bad choices forced upon you.

>>> The main reason I was doing this was to try to prevent all the scam
>>> search engines from getting installed (I'm seeing that a lot these
>>> days).
>>
>> That's commendable. But don't stifle them...
>
> How would you suggest he prevents the scam search engines from getting
> installed (which you approve of) without stifling (which you don't)?
> Genuine question ...

Genuine answer: give them at least a choice by installing multiple search
engines, then blocking installing more. I'd recommend:
1. startpage
2. duckduckgo
3. google (in case the others fail)

-p

0
PietB
7/13/2018 10:12:44 AM
In message
<mailman.110.1531476794.17373.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, PietB
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> writes:
[]
>> How would you suggest he prevents the scam search engines from getting
>> installed (which you approve of) without stifling (which you don't)?
>> Genuine question ...
>
>Genuine answer: give them at least a choice by installing multiple search
>engines, then blocking installing more. I'd recommend:
>1. startpage
>2. duckduckgo
>3. google (in case the others fail)
>
>-p

Although you're still "stifling", good compromise answer. [I've never
heard of startpage.]

On 12-Jul-18 10:08 PM, Richard Alan wrote:

> That's commendable. But don't stifle them...

I'm not stifling anyone.  FF comes standard with: Google, Bing, Amazon,
DuckDuckGo, eBay, Twitter, and Wikipedia.  They aren't locked into Google.

I'm giving them what is the most common (and arguably the best) search
engine.  It is my understanding that DDG uses Yahoo & Bing,
which are vastly inferior to Google.  Perhaps you're thinking of
Startpage (a privatization of Google) which should give superior results
to DDG.
I should probably add that one to the list so they have the option.
Thanks for making me think of that.

0
Thane
7/13/2018 12:18:03 PM
> Then so am I.
> But age++ is no reason for getting bad choices forced upon you.

For Christ's sake.  No one is "forcing" anything on anyone.  Google is
the default engine for FF.  I'm simply making sure
it doesn't get switched to some scam program (or an inferior engine like
Yahoo or Bing).

To repeat:  FF come standard with: Google, Bing, Amazon, DuckDuckGo,
eBay, Twitter, and Wikipedia.  Anyone is free to switch anytime.

None of my changes "lock" anyone into anything.  They are just the best
options for the widest number of people.

0
Thane
7/13/2018 12:20:37 PM
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> PietB writes:
>>> How would you suggest he prevents the scam search engines from getting
>>> installed (which you approve of) without stifling (which you don't)?
>>> Genuine question ...
>>
>> Genuine answer: give them at least a choice by installing multiple search
>> engines, then blocking installing more. I'd recommend:
>> 1. startpage
>> 2. duckduckgo
>> 3. google (in case the others fail)
>
> Although you're still "stifling", good compromise answer. [I've never
> heard of startpage.]

I know it better as Ixquick, because that's how it started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick
Its biggest advantage, besides privacy, is that you don't have
to save your settings, but can turn them into a url, which you
can subsequently use in other browsers and/or other computers.
Its biggest disadvantage is that the search results are limited.

F'up set to mozilla.general.

-p

0
PietB
7/13/2018 1:10:05 PM
On 12-Jul-18 7:31 PM, Big Al wrote:

> Would it be too simple to just setup one PC and then copy the entire
> profile folder as a rubber stamp?
> C:\users\name\appdata\roaming\Mozilla
> If you never run Firefox on a new machine this folder is not there yet.
> If you did, you can just remove it and replace it with your rubber
> stamp copy.
>
> I do it all the time I load a Virtual Machine or reload my system.

Hmmm.  That might work.  I'd just need to copy history, bookmarks and
saved logins.  Great idea!

Thanks Al.

0
Thane
7/13/2018 2:24:40 PM
On 2018-07-12 1:15 PM, Thane K. Sherrington wrote:
> I run a small computer store, and I'm trying to get all of my clients to
> switch to FF, which means that I install FF on all new computers I sell,
> and on all computers that come into the shop.
>
> I'm trying to implement the following customizations during install.
>
> Turn on the Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toobar
> Add a bookmark to both the Bookmarks and Bookmarks toolbar
> Install the Canadian English Dictionary
> Set the proxy to none.
> Set the search engine to Google and disable the installation of
> additional search engines.
>
> I've been doing this with CCK2, but that doesn't seem to work with FF60,
> and as far as I can tell, is EOL now that Mozilla is adding enterprise
> customizations.
>
> The problem is that I don't have all Windows Pro machines, so Group
> Policies are out of the question, and I don't want to run ESR.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

This is exactly what ESR is for. Why don't you want to use ESR?

--
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Chris
On 13-Jul-18 11:35 AM, Chris Ilias wrote:

> This is exactly what ESR is for. Why don't you want to use ESR?

Because I'd like my clients to get the latest features when they come out.

0
Thane
7/13/2018 2:44:35 PM
In article
<mailman.126.1531484509.17372.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Thane K. Sherrington <thane@computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:

> > Then so am I.
> > But age++ is no reason for getting bad choices forced upon you.

> For Christ's sake.  No one is "forcing" anything on anyone.  Google is
> the default engine for FF.  I'm simply making sure
> it doesn't get switched to some scam program (or an inferior engine like
> Yahoo or Bing).

> To repeat:  FF come standard with: Google, Bing, Amazon, DuckDuckGo,
> eBay, Twitter, and Wikipedia.  Anyone is free to switch anytime.

> None of my changes "lock" anyone into anything.  They are just the best
> options for the widest number of people.

Mmmnnn!
Age+ is indeed no reason/bar, and it's all fine and dandy if your A+ is
moderately computerate and capable of handling a computer in this
dangerous environment called the internet.

The problem arises time and time again with Seniors (I've helped a number
of them over the years) who've gone from a life of never having used a
computer to suddenly having one at home in front of them.

As well as tutoring them in the ways of the machine and apps, until they
become proficient, and far more importantly AWARE of the pitfall of the
net, they need some protection/shielding.   No and if or but about it.

Once they become proficient, confident and aware, they'll go off and
plough their own furrow...

Dor

0
Ormail