Odd problem with Firefox (and Thunderbird as well)

Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
where it doesn't belong.
2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
clean.
3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
with it.
4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
anybody know why this is happening?
TIA
--
John Corliss
0

💬 33 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 992 Views

On 9/12/2014 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with
> it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it, wmiprvse.exe
> still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does anybody
> know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
Out of curiosity, why does the Windows Management Instrumentation program
bother you? Is it somehow impairing the system? I'd suspect that it was
left there by the devs because they were probably using it to gather
information about the performance of the primary programs. Leaving it
behind may have been intentional or just an oversight. If intentional then
it probably is the mechanism gathering data for the Health Report.
0
John
9/12/2014 4:37:43 PM
On 09/12/2014 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA

Could be a virus.
Install and run these programs, consecutively, not simultaneously.
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
<http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html>
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/>
<https://www.malwarebytes.org/>
If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums
for specialized malware removal help:
<http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
<http://bleepingcomputer.com/>
<http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/>
<http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30>
Steel City Tattoo Convention Sept. 19-21, 2014
<http://shaneoneillproductions.com/show-details>
GO Bucs, Steelers, Pitt and Pens!
0
WaltS48
9/12/2014 4:55:39 PM
On 9/12/2014 9:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
Try this reference:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/wmiprvse/
0
Ron
9/12/2014 5:38:24 PM
Am 12.09.2014 um 16:34 schrieb John Corliss:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
WmiPrvSE.exe is a standard Windows system file applied to: Windows
8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2003/2000/NT/ME/98, 32-bit(x86) and 64-bit(x64)
systems. If in your case you supect it of weird activities in spite of
your VirusTotal results you should follow WaltS48's advice.
0
rebro
9/12/2014 5:44:16 PM
On 14/09/12 9:37 AM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 9/12/2014 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with
>> it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe
>> still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does anybody
>> know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>
> Out of curiosity, why does the Windows Management Instrumentation
> program bother you? Is it somehow impairing the system? I'd suspect that
> it was left there by the devs because they were probably using it to
> gather information about the performance of the primary programs.
> Leaving it behind may have been intentional or just an oversight. If
> intentional then it probably is the mechanism gathering data for the
> Health Report.
It didn't start up before, I don't know why it's starting up now. If
it's not intentional on the part of Firefox's developers, then I want to
know why it IS starting up. It could be indicative of some kind of malware.
Does that answer your question???
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/12 7:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA

My thanks to everybody who has responded, but nobody has answered either
of my questions. I will clarify them:
1. Is anybody else who uses XP SP3 noticing that wmiprvse.exe starts up
whenever Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0 are started?
2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening? Why
FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a while
after either program starts?
If we could stick to answers to either of these two questions I would
appreciate it. If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it
should be happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's
probably no point in replying.
TIA again.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/12 2:14 PM, John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/12 9:37 AM, John McGaw wrote:
>> On 9/12/2014 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>>
>>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>>> where it doesn't belong.
>>>
>>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>>> clean.
>>>
>>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>>> with
>>> it.
>>>
>>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>>> wmiprvse.exe
>>> still starts up along with it.
>>>
>>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>>> anybody
>>> know why this is happening?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why does the Windows Management Instrumentation
>> program bother you? Is it somehow impairing the system? I'd suspect that
>> it was left there by the devs because they were probably using it to
>> gather information about the performance of the primary programs.
>> Leaving it behind may have been intentional or just an oversight. If
>> intentional then it probably is the mechanism gathering data for the
>> Health Report.
>
> It didn't start up before, I don't know why it's starting up now. If
> it's not intentional on the part of Firefox's developers, then I want to
> know why it IS starting up. It could be indicative of some kind of malware.
>
> Does that answer your question???
By the way, John, thanks for your reply. However, I really need to know
for sure what's going on. I have read a few other instances of this
occurring with other people. Right now I'm having problems with my
connection, have spoken to my ISP and they say they can't connect with
my modem. I will try sending this message and hope that it gets through.

--
John Corliss
0
John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
I can find no evidence of wmiprvse.exe being launched by a Mozilla app.
  It is a Windows service launched as needed by the OS.
You really should not be worried about or messing with this service
unless you want to screw up your operating system, IMHO.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/12 2:14 PM, John Corliss wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, why does the Windows Management Instrumentation
>>> program bother you? Is it somehow impairing the system? I'd suspect that
>>> it was left there by the devs because they were probably using it to
>>> gather information about the performance of the primary programs.
>>> Leaving it behind may have been intentional or just an oversight. If
>>> intentional then it probably is the mechanism gathering data for the
>>> Health Report.
>>
>> It didn't start up before, I don't know why it's starting up now. If
>> it's not intentional on the part of Firefox's developers, then I want to
>> know why it IS starting up. It could be indicative of some kind of
>> malware.
>>
>> Does that answer your question???
>
> By the way, John, thanks for your reply. However, I really need to know
> for sure what's going on. I have read a few other instances of this
> occurring with other people. Right now I'm having problems with my
> connection, have spoken to my ISP and they say they can't connect with
> my modem. I will try sending this message and hope that it gets through.

To my knowledge, this had nothing to do with any mozilla operations.
It's purely a normal acctivity of the Windows operating system.
Google it, research it, it's benign.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/12 7:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>

> My thanks to everybody who has responded, but nobody has answered either
> of my questions. I will clarify them:
>
> 1. Is anybody else who uses XP SP3 noticing that wmiprvse.exe starts up
> whenever Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0 are started?

NO!
> 2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening? Why
> FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a while
> after either program starts?
It is a needed process of the OS.

> If we could stick to answers to either of these two questions I would
> appreciate it. If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it
> should be happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's
> probably no point in replying.
>
> TIA again.

Google it and read.  You'll discover it is normal, not connected to
Mozilla, and you can lay your paranoia to rest.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Can you buy anything specific at a general store?
0
Ed
9/13/2014 2:32:08 AM
On 14/09/12 7:26 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>
> I can find no evidence of wmiprvse.exe being launched by a Mozilla app.
>   It is a Windows service launched as needed by the OS.
A. Do you mean that you also run XP SP3 and that you don't see
wmiprvse.exe starting up whenever you run Firefox or Thunderbird? If
you're not running XP SP3, then you have no way of knowing what I'm
talking about.
B. I'm very aware that wmiprvse.exe is launched by the system. However,
in the past this has only been done at system startup. NOW it starts
whenever I start either Firefox or Thunderbird, the current version of
either.
> You really should not be worried about or messing with this service
> unless you want to screw up your operating system, IMHO.
You haven't got all the facts to decide whether or not I should be
worried about wmiprvse.exe running whenever FF or TB start up. That's a
choice that *I* make based on experiences and factors at my end.

--
John Corliss
0
On 09/12/2014 10:29 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:

>>> It didn't start up before, I don't know why it's starting up now.
>>> If it's not intentional on the part of Firefox's developers, then
>>> I want to know why it IS starting up. It could be indicative of
>>> some kind of malware.
>>>
>>> Does that answer your question???
>>
>> By the way, John, thanks for your reply. However, I really need to
>> know for sure what's going on. I have read a few other instances of
>> this occurring with other people. Right now I'm having problems
>> with my connection, have spoken to my ISP and they say they can't
>> connect with my modem. I will try sending this message and hope
>> that it gets through.
>>

> To my knowledge, this had nothing to do with any mozilla operations.
>  It's purely a normal acctivity of the Windows operating system.
>
> Google it, research it, it's benign.

If it is benign why did my Google search turn up a reference to a
wmiprvse.exe virus, prompting my post to do a thorough check of his system.
"Note: The wmiprvse.exe file is located in the folder
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem. In other cases, wmiprvse.exe is a virus,
spyware, trojan or worm!"
REF: [wmiprvse.exe Windows process - What is
it?](http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html)
Steel City Tattoo Convention Sept. 19-21, 2014
<http://shaneoneillproductions.com/show-details>
GO Bucs, Steelers, Pitt and Pens!
0
WaltS48
9/13/2014 11:38:42 AM
In
WaltS48 <thalionusa@EVOMERaim.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 10:29 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> > John Corliss wrote:
> > Google it, research it, it's benign.
>
> If it is benign why did my Google search turn up a reference to a
> wmiprvse.exe virus, prompting my post to do a thorough check of his
> system.
IME, a search for almost any Windows system file will turn up
references to viruses that have infected it.
> "Note: The wmiprvse.exe file is located in the folder
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem. In other cases, wmiprvse.exe is a virus,
> spyware, trojan or worm!"
>
> REF: [wmiprvse.exe Windows process - What is
> it?](http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html)
John has said his wmiprvse.exe is in the normal place, and he's run it
through virustotal.
My guess is that the service is called because something changed wrt
the way Firefox integrates with Windows.
0
UTF
9/14/2014 12:14:09 AM
On 14/09/12 7:32 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> On 14/09/12 7:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>>
>>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>>> where it doesn't belong.
>>>
>>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>>> clean.
>>>
>>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>>
>>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> My thanks to everybody who has responded, but nobody has answered either
>> of my questions. I will clarify them:
>>
>> 1. Is anybody else who uses XP SP3 noticing that wmiprvse.exe starts up
>> whenever Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0 are started?
>
> NO!
Of course, I hope you're only speaking for yourself. There's no way for
you to know what's going on with other people's computers. So you also
use XP SP3 then? It's important that you note that my situation is
happening in that version of Windows. In other versions of Windows, I've
read that WMI is handled differently.
>> 2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening? Why
>> FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a while
>> after either program starts?
>
> It is a needed process of the OS.
I am fully aware of this. Have been for quite some time.
>> If we could stick to answers to either of these two questions I would
>> appreciate it. If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it
>> should be happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's
>> probably no point in replying.
>>
>> TIA again.
>
> Google it and read.  You'll discover it is normal, not connected to
> Mozilla, and you can lay your paranoia to rest.
Ed, you're assuming that I haven't Googled the topic to death before I
posted to this group and you're wrong in that assumption. I spent well
over TWO HOURS researching the situation and could find almost nothing
about it:
Info describing what wmiprvse.exe actually is:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145955.0
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985811
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29010940-Firefox-27.0-released (see
first post by EmoHobo)
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19586212
(see post by iroc9555 about 2/5 of the way down)
and that's about all. None of those websites and discussions are of any
help. That's why I've posted my questions in this group.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/12 7:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
I should probably add this:
5. Whenever I see wmiprvse.exe running after starting FF or TB (by using
Sysinternal's Process Explorer) I can kill that process and it doesn't
start back up during that session with either program. If I restart
either FF or TB though, wmiprvse.exe also starts back up again until I
kill it again.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/12 9:55 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>
> Could be a virus.
>
> Install and run these programs, consecutively, not simultaneously.
>
> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
> <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html>
> <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/>
> <https://www.malwarebytes.org/>
>
> If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums
> for specialized malware removal help:
>
> <http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
> <http://bleepingcomputer.com/>
> <http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/>
> <http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30>
Thanks WaltS48 and that is basically my gameplan, but before I start
doing all that stuff, I need to find out if this is normal behavior on
an XP SP3 system for FF & TB or not.
--
John Corliss
0
El 12/09/2014 a las #4, John Corliss escribió:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
Is not notmal to start with Fx, perhaps is a plugin but in my case with
only flash enabled  no start wmiprvse.exe.
Donwload process explorer to view the extact path of the file launched
Donwload a live boot up antivirus from another clean pc(USB or CD), if
the pc have avast, make a rescuecd.
0
MrGatoChile
9/15/2014 1:01:01 AM
On 14/09/14 6:02 PM, MrGatoChile wrote:
> El 12/09/2014 a las #4, John Corliss escribió:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
> Is not notmal to start with Fx, perhaps is a plugin but in my case with
> only flash enabled  no start wmiprvse.exe.
Once again I have to ask, are you speaking from personal experience with
XP SP3 or do you run a different version of Windows or some other OS?
> Donwload process explorer to view the extact path of the file launched
I thought I've explained a couple of times in this thread that this is
what I've done.
> Donwload a live boot up antivirus from another clean pc(USB or CD), if
> the pc have avast, make a rescuecd.
Thanks, but I'm not really looking for advice at this point. As I've
repeatedly asked in this thread, I would really like to stick to answers
to my OP questions:
1. _Is anybody else who uses XP SP3_ noticing that wmiprvse.exe starts
up whenever Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0 are started?
2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening? Why
FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a while
after either program starts?
If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it should be
happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's probably no point
in replying.

--
John Corliss
0
John
9/15/2014 2:41:32 AM
In
John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote:
> 2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening?
> Why FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a
> while after either program starts?
Or perhaps why Windows XP needs to run wmiprvse.exe when Firefox is
executed.  Either way, there are people here who could find out, but
it's looking like they're not willing to spend the time to satisfy your
curiosity.  You could search bugzilla or the source, or try to find
what communication channels the people who work on Windows integration
use and ask them directly.  Or try getting to someone at Microsoft who
understands the service.
> If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it should be
> happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's probably no
> point in replying.
You've posed your questions as a "problem" (see the Subject).  Offering
advice about "problems" is kinda the ethos of this group, hard to
avoid.  If you're not looking for advice at this point, as you've said,
just ignore the advice you don't want.
0
UTF
9/15/2014 2:58:52 AM
�Q� wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> 2. If this is normal behavior, does anybody know why it's happening?
>> Why FF & TB need to have wmiprvse.exe running in the background for a
>> while after either program starts?
>
> Or perhaps why Windows XP needs to run wmiprvse.exe when Firefox is
> executed.
Yes, perhaps that's what's happening.
> Either way, there are people here who could find out, but
> it's looking like they're not willing to spend the time to satisfy your
> curiosity.  You could search bugzilla or the source, or try to find
> what communication channels the people who work on Windows integration
> use and ask them directly.  Or try getting to someone at Microsoft who
> understands the service.
All very good ideas. I had also been thinking about posting a bug, but
since I'm not sure this is a bug that's why I posted to this group first.
>> If you're not running XP SP3 or you don't know why it should be
>> happening (assuming it's normal behavior) then there's probably no
>> point in replying.
>
> You've posed your questions as a "problem" (see the Subject).  Offering
> advice about "problems" is kinda the ethos of this group, hard to
> avoid.  If you're not looking for advice at this point, as you've said,
> just ignore the advice you don't want.
Yes, I suppose I could have used different words in the subject line of
the OP. Perhaps simply:
"Why is wmipvrse.exe is started along with Firefox (and Thunderbird)"
--
John Corliss
0
On 2014-09-12 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>
> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
> where it doesn't belong.
>
> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
> clean.
>
> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
> with it.
>
> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>
> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
> anybody know why this is happening?
>
> TIA
Google is your friend:
http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/wmiprvse/19202/
Have a good day,
--
Best,
Wolf K.
Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2014-09-12 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>
> Google is your friend:
>
> http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/wmiprvse/19202/
>
> Have a good day,

Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
before starting FF.
Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
I am, however, using ICS.
Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
sure if it was before or after starting FF).

--
The Frosted Flake
+------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+
On 09/15/2014 09:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
[snip[
> Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
> before starting FF.
> Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
> try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
> Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
> Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
> I am, however, using ICS.
> Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
> One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
> sure if it was before or after starting FF).

I tried it on my XP system. That process started and killed itself after
a few minutes. User is listed as "NETWORK SERVICE" and it's using 5,888K
memory".
I do not use ICS or firewall.
On Win 7, that process never showed.
--
101 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
Am 15.09.2014 um 18:26 schrieb Mark Lloyd:
> On 09/15/2014 09:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>
> [snip[
>
>> Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
>> before starting FF.
>> Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
>> try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
>> Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
>> Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
>> I am, however, using ICS.
>> Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
>> One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
>> sure if it was before or after starting FF).
>>

> I tried it on my XP system. That process started and killed itself after
> a few minutes. User is listed as "NETWORK SERVICE" and it's using 5,888K
> memory".
>
> I do not use ICS or firewall.
>
> On Win 7, that process never showed.

Here, on Win7, two wmiprvse.exe-processes show, users are listed as
NETWORK and SYSIEM.
0
rebro
9/15/2014 4:41:30 PM
On 14/09/15 6:25 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2014-09-12 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>
>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>> with it.
>>
>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>
>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>
>> TIA
>
> Google is your friend:
>
> http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/wmiprvse/19202/
>
> Have a good day,
? Didn't you read my post to this thread where I provided the following
link:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html
Didn't you read my multiple posts to this thread where I very clearly
explained that I had researched this issue for *hours* using Google
before I started this discussion?
Thanks for replying, but I already know what the process executable is
and what it's for. My questions are very simple ones that so far, nobody
has answered.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/15 7:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
> Wolf K. wrote:
>> On 2014-09-12 10:34 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>>> Every time I start either Firefox 32.0 or Thunderbird 31.1.0, either
>>> program will instantly start up wmiprvse.exe as a running process in the
>>> background. If I don't kill it, it'll stop running after a short while.
>>>
>>> 1. I've been able to find no other instances of wmiprvse.exe in folders
>>> where it doesn't belong.
>>>
>>> 2. I checked the file out which is running  at Virustotal and it came up
>>> clean.
>>>
>>> 3. When I run Firefox in safe mode, wmiprvse.exe still starts up along
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> 4. When I create a new profile and start Firefox up using it,
>>> wmiprvse.exe still starts up along with it.
>>>
>>> Is anybody else noticing this happening who uses XP SP3? OR, does
>>> anybody know why this is happening?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Google is your friend:
>>
>> http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/wmiprvse/19202/
>>
>> Have a good day,
>>
> Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
> before starting FF.
> Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
> try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
> Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
> Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
> I am, however, using ICS.
> Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
> One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
> sure if it was before or after starting FF).
Thanks very much for replying!!!  80)>
Yes, when I first boot my computer I get one instance of wmiprvse.exe
starting up. After a while, it goes off but I usually kill it before it
does it by itself. Since I have both the Windows Firewall and ICS
disabled, I don't get any warning.
What I've been doing is starting up my copy of Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
and then once that window is open and with wmiprvse.exe not running as a
process, I start Firefox or Thunderbird. When I do this, I can see
wmiprvse.exe start instantly and then after a while, the FF or TB window
opens. I usually kill the wmiprvse.exe process quickly after starting
either FF or TB. In fact, I've created a batch file to do this:
taskkill /f /im wmiprvse.exe
but right clicking on wmiprvse.exe in Process Explorer and pressing
"Delete" usually works faster.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/15 9:26 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 09/15/2014 09:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>
> [snip[
>
>> Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
>> before starting FF.
>> Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
>> try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
>> Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
>> Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
>> I am, however, using ICS.
>> Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
>> One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
>> sure if it was before or after starting FF).
>>

> I tried it on my XP system. That process started and killed itself after
> a few minutes. User is listed as "NETWORK SERVICE" and it's using 5,888K
> memory".
Do mean that the process started along with FF or TB or are you
referring to the instance that begins when you boot the computer?
> I do not use ICS or firewall.
>
> On Win 7, that process never showed.
That sounds about right. What I've read in my research is that W7
handles WMI differently than XP SP3.
--
John Corliss
0
John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/15 9:26 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 09/15/2014 09:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>>
>> [snip[
>>
>>> Running XP, SP3.  On startup 2 copies of wmiprvse are started.  This is
>>> before starting FF.
>>> Going to Services, and finding Windows Management Instrumentation, if I
>>> try to stop the service, I get a warning that it will also stop Security
>>> Center and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
>>> Since I am not using the Windows Firewall, that is not a concern.
>>> I am, however, using ICS.
>>> Perhaps ICS is causing wmiprvse.exe to start, if you are using it.
>>> One of the instances of wmiprvse.exe eventually gets turned off (I'm not
>>> sure if it was before or after starting FF).
>>>

>> I tried it on my XP system. That process started and killed itself after
>> a few minutes. User is listed as "NETWORK SERVICE" and it's using 5,888K
>> memory".
>
> Do mean that the process started along with FF or TB or are you
> referring to the instance that begins when you boot the computer?
>
>> I do not use ICS or firewall.
>>
>> On Win 7, that process never showed.
>
> That sounds about right. What I've read in my research is that W7
> handles WMI differently than XP SP3.

On all of my W7 systems the process starts with system boot, before any
Mozilla app starting.  This was also true with legacy WXP systems.
Someone up-thread posted a very useful link to an explanation of the
process.  It is not related to Mozilla apps, it is a normal Windows
process related to networking.  It also can be used by other programs
but I am not seeing any use of it by Mozilla apps here in W7.  Haven't
used XP since March but I am pretty sure the same was true of it.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On 14/09/15 6:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> On 14/09/15 9:26 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>> On 09/15/2014 09:30 AM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip[

>>> I tried it on my XP system. That process started and killed itself after
>>> a few minutes. User is listed as "NETWORK SERVICE" and it's using 5,888K
>>> memory".
>>
>> Do mean that the process started along with FF or TB or are you
>> referring to the instance that begins when you boot the computer?
>>
>>> I do not use ICS or firewall.
>>>
>>> On Win 7, that process never showed.
>>
>> That sounds about right. What I've read in my research is that W7
>> handles WMI differently than XP SP3.
>
> On all of my W7 systems the process starts with system boot, before any
> Mozilla app starting.  This was also true with legacy WXP systems.
Yes, I observed that in one of my posts to this thread.
> Someone up-thread posted a very useful link to an explanation of the
> process.  It is not related to Mozilla apps, it is a normal Windows
> process related to networking.
I also posted such a link on one of my messages in this thread. I'm very
aware of the fact that wmiprvse.exe is a normal process. However, it's
for the Windows Management Instrumentation service. I guess you could
say it has something to do with networking insomuch as it's for allowing
network managers to control client machines.
> It also can be used by other programs
> but I am not seeing any use of it by Mozilla apps here in W7.  Haven't
> used XP since March but I am pretty sure the same was true of it.
That's what I'm also thinking, but I would really appreciate it if one
of the FF or TB developers would say for sure whether or not this is the
case.
--
John Corliss
0
John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/15 6:03 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> Do mean that the process started along with FF or TB or are you
>>> referring to the instance that begins when you boot the computer?

>>> That sounds about right. What I've read in my research is that W7
>>> handles WMI differently than XP SP3.
>>
>> On all of my W7 systems the process starts with system boot, before any
>> Mozilla app starting.  This was also true with legacy WXP systems.
>
> Yes, I observed that in one of my posts to this thread.
>
>> Someone up-thread posted a very useful link to an explanation of the
>> process.  It is not related to Mozilla apps, it is a normal Windows
>> process related to networking.
>
> I also posted such a link on one of my messages in this thread. I'm very
> aware of the fact that wmiprvse.exe is a normal process. However, it's
> for the Windows Management Instrumentation service. I guess you could
> say it has something to do with networking insomuch as it's for allowing
> network managers to control client machines.
>
>> It also can be used by other programs
>> but I am not seeing any use of it by Mozilla apps here in W7.  Haven't
>> used XP since March but I am pretty sure the same was true of it.
>
> That's what I'm also thinking, but I would really appreciate it if one
> of the FF or TB developers would say for sure whether or not this is the
> case.

Most devs aren't monitoring the support groups.  You'd be better off
asking in one of the dev groups.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On 14/09/16 6:30 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:

>>> On all of my W7 systems the process starts with system boot, before any
>>> Mozilla app starting.  This was also true with legacy WXP systems.
>>
>> Yes, I observed that in one of my posts to this thread.
>>
>>> Someone up-thread posted a very useful link to an explanation of the
>>> process.  It is not related to Mozilla apps, it is a normal Windows
>>> process related to networking.
>>
>> I also posted such a link on one of my messages in this thread. I'm very
>> aware of the fact that wmiprvse.exe is a normal process. However, it's
>> for the Windows Management Instrumentation service. I guess you could
>> say it has something to do with networking insomuch as it's for allowing
>> network managers to control client machines.
>>
>>> It also can be used by other programs
>>> but I am not seeing any use of it by Mozilla apps here in W7.  Haven't
>>> used XP since March but I am pretty sure the same was true of it.
>>
>> That's what I'm also thinking, but I would really appreciate it if one
>> of the FF or TB developers would say for sure whether or not this is the
>> case.
>>

> Most devs aren't monitoring the support groups.  You'd be better off
> asking in one of the dev groups.
Thanks for that info! I'll give it a go.
--
John Corliss
0
On 14/09/16 9:23 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/16 6:30 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> Yes, I observed that in one of my posts to this thread.

>>> I also posted such a link on one of my messages in this thread. I'm very
>>> aware of the fact that wmiprvse.exe is a normal process. However, it's
>>> for the Windows Management Instrumentation service. I guess you could
>>> say it has something to do with networking insomuch as it's for allowing
>>> network managers to control client machines.

>>> That's what I'm also thinking, but I would really appreciate it if one
>>> of the FF or TB developers would say for sure whether or not this is the
>>> case.
>>>

>> Most devs aren't monitoring the support groups.  You'd be better off
>> asking in one of the dev groups.
>
> Thanks for that info! I'll give it a go.
Well, I just did that. I found this message:

--
John Corliss
0
On 09/16/2014 12:27 PM, John Corliss wrote:
> On 14/09/16 9:23 AM, John Corliss wrote:

>>> Most devs aren't monitoring the support groups.  You'd be better off
>>> asking in one of the dev groups.
>>
>> Thanks for that info! I'll give it a go.
>
> Well, I just did that. I found this message:
>
>> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:25:59 -0500
>> From: »Q« <boxcars@gmx.net>
>> Newsgroups: mozilla.dev.apps.firefox
>> Subject: don't use this group
>>
>> Just FYI:
>>
>> Both news.mozilla.org and Google Groups still carry
>> mozilla.dev.apps.firefox as an active group, but it's no longer used
>> for Firefox development discussion.  The bug to remove the group is
>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=871282>.
>>
>> This group has been superceded (superseded, if spelling counts) by the
>> mailing list at <https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/firefox-dev>.
>>
>> See
>> <http://www.gavinsharp.com/blog/2013/02/26/announcing-the-firefox-dev-mailing-list/>
>>
>> for information about what prompted the change.

If you don't want to subscribe to the firefox-dev mailing list just to
ask this question, you could try irc.mozilla.org in your favorite chat
client. I use Thunderbird.
[IRC - MozillaWiki](https://wiki.mozilla.org/IRC)
I believe the relevant channel would be #developers or you could ask in
#firefox first.
There is also <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/get-community-support>
Steel City Tattoo Convention Sept. 19-21, 2014
<http://shaneoneillproductions.com/show-details>
GO Bucs, Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!
0
WaltS48