I can't get no cache, I can't get no cache. 'Cause I try and I try and I try and, I can't get no, I can't get no cache.

I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache.  I have NOT found the 
trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until recently.
Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a 
knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT 
too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern 
matters
Using   about:cache
Information about the Cache Service
Memory cache device
Number of entries:      722
Maximum storage size:   30720 KiB
Storage in use:         7331 KiB
Inactive storage:       7331 KiB
Offline cache device
Number of entries:      0
Maximum storage size:   512000 KiB
Storage in use:         0 KiB
Cache Directory:        C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local 
Settings\Application 
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d9ws2fua.default\OfflineCache
Checking that general folder area, There is a \profiles\xxccvv\cache 
folder - ITS EMPTY, even after visiting several ebay links
Using  about:cache?device=memory
Information about the Cache Service
Memory cache device
Number of entries:      722
Maximum storage size:   30720 KiB
Storage in use:         7331 KiB
Inactive storage:       7331 KiB
using   about:cache?device=disk
Information about the Cache Service
No Other response on the screen for this attempt

Using   browser.cache
browser.cache.check_doc_frequency;              3
browser.cache.compression_level;                0
browser.cache.disk.capacity;                    1048576
browser.cache.disk.enable;                      true
browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size;              151200
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory;            e:\cache
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled;          true
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run;        false
browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value;     194560
browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl;                   true
browser.cache.memory.enable;                    true
browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size;            5120
browser.cache.offline.capacity;                 512000
browser.cache.offline.enable;                   true

As far as I know I have FF set to clear cache upon a complete exit, I 
didn't think that meant Don't Cache at all.
The folder specified in the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory entry is 
a drive that sees no other use so I was hoping that would speed up the 
cache-ing process.
I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays 
EMPTY.........
The drive is accessible all the time.
-1
Hp
5/28/2012 1:30:18 AM
๐Ÿ“ mozilla.support.firefox
๐Ÿ“ƒ 24319 articles.
โญ 10 followers.

๐Ÿ’ฌ 12 Replies
๐Ÿ‘๏ธโ€๐Ÿ—จ๏ธ 4375 Views


On 5/27/2012 9:30 PM, Hp wrote:
> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
> recently.
>
> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>
> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>
> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
> matters
>
> Using about:cache
>
> Information about the Cache Service
> Memory cache device
> Number of entries: 722
> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
>
> I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays
> EMPTY.........
> The drive is accessible all the time.
Dumb question.
Have you tried to find cache when Fire fox is not running?  it could be 
that the cache only exists on the disk when it is saved on exiting fire fox.
1
Keith
5/28/2012 2:59:33 AM
On 5/27/2012 10:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 5/27/2012 9:30 PM, Hp wrote:
>> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
>> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
>> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
>> recently.
>>
>> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
>> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>>
>> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
>> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>>
>> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
>> matters
>>
>> Using about:cache
>>
>> Information about the Cache Service
>> Memory cache device
>> Number of entries: 722
>> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
>> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
>> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
> 
>>
>> I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays
>> EMPTY.........
>> The drive is accessible all the time.
> 
> Dumb question.
> 
> Have you tried to find cache when Fire fox is not running?  it could be
> that the cache only exists on the disk when it is saved on exiting fire
> fox.
I figure that if it is not there then Firefox does not need it. What do
you think?

-- 
  David

-1
David
5/28/2012 3:07:28 AM
On 05/28/2012 03:30 AM, Hp wrote:
> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
> recently.
>
> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>

Could you explain exactly, how you try to find out whether there is a 
cache or not and also what urls you're using for testing.
Did you try creating a brand new profile to see whether the cache is 
working there.
You could use this new profile as a base to look for differences in the 
configurations.
-1
Gelomida
5/28/2012 7:52:25 AM
On Sun, 27 May 2012 21:30:18 -0400, in message <ffqdnRMxX56zSF_SnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d@mozilla.org> 
Hp wrote:
> Subject: I can't get no cache, I can't get no cache. 'Cause I try and I try
>  and I try and, I can't get no, I can't get no cache.

If you are running the portable version of Firefox, the disk cache 
is disabled.
http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable#modifications

-- 
Kind regards
Ralph
-1
Ralph
5/28/2012 8:09:57 AM
Hi there,
> As far as I know I have FF set to clear cache upon a complete exit, I
> didn't think that meant Don't Cache at all.
Last I heard, that๏ฟฝs just what it means. If you set your cache to be
cleared when Firefox is closed, the disk cache is disabled.
If I remember correctly, this is supposed to be a privacy feature, to be
sure that your cache (which you want cleared if Firefox is closed) is
truly ๏ฟฝgone๏ฟฝ even if Firefox crashes.

Regards
Michael
1
windows
5/28/2012 9:46:02 AM
On 05/27/2012 11:07 PM, David wrote:
> On 5/27/2012 10:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> On 5/27/2012 9:30 PM, Hp wrote:
>>> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
>>> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
>>> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
>>> recently.
>>>
>>> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
>>> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>>>
>>> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
>>> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>>>
>>> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
>>> matters
>>>
>>> Using about:cache
>>>
>>> Information about the Cache Service
>>> Memory cache device
>>> Number of entries: 722
>>> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
>>> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
>>> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
>>
>>>
>>> I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays
>>> EMPTY.........
>>> The drive is accessible all the time.
>>
>> Dumb question.
>>
>> Have you tried to find cache when Fire fox is not running?  it could be
>> that the cache only exists on the disk when it is saved on exiting fire
>> fox.
> 
> I figure that if it is not there then Firefox does not need it. What do
> you think?
> 
> 
Good answer.
Firefox is only going to use Disk Cache when there is no memory left to
use. Disk Cache is a swap file.
http://pcnineoneone.com/howto/swpfile1/
Each users about:cache should be different depending on the size of
physical RAM.
Mine is currently.
Memory cache device
Number of entries:      200
Maximum storage size:   29696 KiB
Storage in use:         2251 KiB
Inactive storage:       2251 KiB
List Cache Entries
Offline cache device
Number of entries:      0
Maximum storage size:   512000 KiB
Storage in use:         0 KiB
Cache Directory:        ~/.mozilla/firefox/n5f35n6u.Aurora/OfflineCache
If the user wants to see Disk Cache they should try opening many other
applications until the system needs to use swap memory.
-- 
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2

-1
WLS
5/28/2012 12:48:57 PM
On 2012-05-27 18:30, Hp wrote:
> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
> recently.
>
> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>
> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>
> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
> matters
>
> Using about:cache
>
> Information about the Cache Service
> Memory cache device
> Number of entries: 722
> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
>
> Offline cache device
> Number of entries: 0
> Maximum storage size: 512000 KiB
> Storage in use: 0 KiB
> Cache Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local
> Settings\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d9ws2fua.default\OfflineCache
>
> Checking that general folder area, There is a \profiles\xxccvv\cache
> folder - ITS EMPTY, even after visiting several ebay links
>
> Using about:cache?device=memory
>
> Information about the Cache Service
>
> Memory cache device
> Number of entries: 722
> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
>
> using about:cache?device=disk
>
> Information about the Cache Service
>
> No Other response on the screen for this attempt
>
>
> Using browser.cache
>
> browser.cache.check_doc_frequency; 3
> browser.cache.compression_level; 0
> browser.cache.disk.capacity; 1048576
> browser.cache.disk.enable; true
> browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size; 151200
> browser.cache.disk.parent_directory; e:\cache
> browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled; true
> browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run; false
> browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value; 194560
> browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl; true
> browser.cache.memory.enable; true
> browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size; 5120
> browser.cache.offline.capacity; 512000
> browser.cache.offline.enable; true
>
>
> As far as I know I have FF set to clear cache upon a complete exit, I
> didn't think that meant Don't Cache at all.
>
> The folder specified in the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory entry is
> a drive that sees no other use so I was hoping that would speed up the
> cache-ing process.
>
> I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays
> EMPTY.........
> The drive is accessible all the time.
I ended up enabling the offline cache, but setting its capacity to 0 
because I did not like the way the cache was being handled.  That seemed 
to fix the problems for me.

1
EE
5/28/2012 6:37:17 PM
On 2012-05-27 19:59, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 5/27/2012 9:30 PM, Hp wrote:
>> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
>> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
>> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
>> recently.
>>
>> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
>> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>>
>> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
>> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>>
>> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
>> matters
>>
>> Using about:cache
>>
>> Information about the Cache Service
>> Memory cache device
>> Number of entries: 722
>> Maximum storage size: 30720 KiB
>> Storage in use: 7331 KiB
>> Inactive storage: 7331 KiB
>
>>
>> I Do NOT See anything happening in that drive, the cache folder stays
>> EMPTY.........
>> The drive is accessible all the time.
>
> Dumb question.
>
> Have you tried to find cache when Fire fox is not running? it could be
> that the cache only exists on the disk when it is saved on exiting fire
> fox.
That is not true.  I empty all the data before I close the browser, 
except for site preferences and cookies.  I have been browsing for a 
while, and the disk cache has content in it from this session.

-1
EE
5/28/2012 6:48:28 PM
On 5/28/2012 2:37 PM, EE wrote:
> On 2012-05-27 18:30, Hp wrote:
>> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
>> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
>> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
>> recently.
>>
>> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
>> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>>
>> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
>> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>>
>> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
>> matters
>>
snip
To all that have been here trying to read this and participate,
it seems at some point in the not to distant past the FF programmers 
made the "Clear History When FireFox Closes" Privacy option into a 
simple toggle,
  Unchecked FireFox uses disk caching,
  checked and FireFox Does NOT use Disk Caching.
Me thinks I don't like this!!!!

1
Hp
5/30/2012 1:57:14 AM
On 05/29/2012 09:57 PM, Hp wrote:
> On 5/28/2012 2:37 PM, EE wrote:
>> On 2012-05-27 18:30, Hp wrote:
>>> I have fiddled out for days tinkering with the setting in about:config
>>> trying to get FireFox 12 to use the disk cache. I have NOT found the
>>> trick. This One Trick Pony ain't doing it like it used to up until
>>> recently.
>>>
>>> Pray tell anyone, What information can I share that will point a
>>> knowledgeable person to aid me in getting FF to disk.cache?
>>>
>>> I have also tried restarting FF with add-ons disabled, (There were NOT
>>> too many to do this to, so it was quick and easy)
>>>
>>> Here is my stab at trying to convey the information that MIGHT govern
>>> matters
>>>
> 
> snip
> 
> To all that have been here trying to read this and participate,
> it seems at some point in the not to distant past the FF programmers
> made the "Clear History When FireFox Closes" Privacy option into a
> simple toggle,
>  Unchecked FireFox uses disk caching,
>  checked and FireFox Does NOT use Disk Caching.
> 
> Me thinks I don't like this!!!!
> 
> 
> 
Just tested that out, and you are right. With clear cache unchecked, I
have Disk cache.
Disk cache device
Number of entries:      59
Maximum storage size:   1048576 KiB
Storage in use:         297 KiB
Cache Directory:        ~/.mozilla/firefox/27ydo2g6.opensuse/Cache
With clear cache checked, I have memory cache.
Memory cache device
Number of entries:      58
Maximum storage size:   29696 KiB
Storage in use:         202 KiB
Inactive storage:       202 KiB
Don't know why the difference of Storage in use, but methinks I do like it.
-- 
Thunderbird (15.0a1) Daily | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
I love the Australis look of TB 15!
Can't wait for it to show up in Firefox.

-1
WLS
5/30/2012 2:33:27 AM
On 05/30/2012 03:57 AM, Hp wrote:
>
> To all that have been here trying to read this and participate,
> it seems at some point in the not to distant past the FF programmers
> made the "Clear History When FireFox Closes" Privacy option into a
> simple toggle,
> Unchecked FireFox uses disk caching,
> checked and FireFox Does NOT use Disk Caching.
>
If this is the case, then the text is absolutely misleading.
For Above functionality the message should then be.
something like
Use Disk cache
Cache data on Disk
However it could of course be, that Firefox starts caching to disk only 
when running out of RAM.
Did you try to cache so many entries, that Firefox couldn't fit them 
anymore into RAM?
It might be they just decided to delay writing to disk as long as 
possible, knowing, that everything written to disk had to be deleted 
when quitting Firefox.

-1
Gelomida
5/30/2012 10:14:22 AM
On 5/30/2012 6:14 AM, Gelomida wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 03:57 AM, Hp wrote:
>
>>
>> To all that have been here trying to read this and participate,
>> it seems at some point in the not to distant past the FF programmers
>> made the "Clear History When FireFox Closes" Privacy option into a
>> simple toggle,
>> Unchecked FireFox uses disk caching,
>> checked and FireFox Does NOT use Disk Caching.
>>
>
> If this is the case, then the text is absolutely misleading.
>
> For Above functionality the message should then be.
> something like
>
> Use Disk cache
> Cache data on Disk
>
> However it could of course be, that Firefox starts caching to disk only
> when running out of RAM.
> Did you try to cache so many entries, that Firefox couldn't fit them
> anymore into RAM?
>
> It might be they just decided to delay writing to disk as long as
> possible, knowing, that everything written to disk had to be deleted
> when quitting Firefox.
Yes I loaded FireFix up to the point it CRAWLED trying to do anything, 
It also sucked up so much of my RAM (4giggles, .5G assigned to ramdrive) 
that everything was effected. Task manager showed totol usage to be over 
3.5G at that point. The mian recovery was to totaly close FF and then 
WAIT for the system to get memory back as FF took a little time to turn 
loose all the RAM space it consumed.
1
Hp
5/30/2012 4:09:09 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: