How to uninstall firefox 11 and keep settings same as in firefox 10 & reinstall firefox 10

Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. 
I want to roll back to firefox 10 

Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
they are now? 
0
Private
3/24/2012 1:30:51 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 10 followers. Post Follow

30 Replies
2188 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. 
> I want to roll back to firefox 10 
> 
> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
> they are now? 

It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
version 11?

-- 
Christian
0
Christian
3/24/2012 5:27:36 AM
On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>
>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>> they are now?
>
> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
> version 11?
>

I d/l install file for last 3.6 version, just in case. I may go back to 
it. Why? Because for the first time in since I switched to Win 7, I 
experienced glitches that were occasional annoyances with FF 3 and XP:
a) _System_ freeze-up for no apparent reason; this resolved itself after 
a minute or two.
b) "Firefox is already running", fixed via task manager and End Process.

This is not good. Apparently, I should keep FF11 because it's more 
secure than FF3.x. Maybe so. I can't tell, as I have shields that have 
AFAICT protected this system more than adequately (1). So I'm thinking 
about going back to FF 3.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Wolf K.

Footnote:
(1) The most recent scan found 11 tracking cookies, no doubt installed 
when websites wouldn't behave properly until I "temporarily allowed all 
this page." No symptoms/signs of malware, but a "Vipre has blocked a 
known bad file" message every other week or so.
0
Greywolf
3/24/2012 1:42:58 PM
On 3/24/2012 8:42 AM, Greywolf wrote:
> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>
>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>> they are now?
>>
>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>> version 11?
>>
>
> I d/l install file for last 3.6 version, just in case. I may go back to
> it. Why? Because for the first time in since I switched to Win 7, I
> experienced glitches that were occasional annoyances with FF 3 and XP:
> a) _System_ freeze-up for no apparent reason; this resolved itself after
> a minute or two.
> b) "Firefox is already running", fixed via task manager and End Process.
>
> This is not good. Apparently, I should keep FF11 because it's more
> secure than FF3.x. Maybe so. I can't tell, as I have shields that have
> AFAICT protected this system more than adequately (1). So I'm thinking
> about going back to FF 3.
>
> Just thought you'd like to know.
>
> Wolf K.
>
> Footnote:
> (1) The most recent scan found 11 tracking cookies, no doubt installed
> when websites wouldn't behave properly until I "temporarily allowed all
> this page." No symptoms/signs of malware, but a "Vipre has blocked a
> known bad file" message every other week or so.

Wouldn't it make more sense to figure out what is causing your problems, 
and fix it, then you can enjoy the benefits of the newer versions?

0
Ron
3/24/2012 5:46:19 PM
On 24/03/2012 1:46 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 8:42 AM, Greywolf wrote:
[...]
>> I d/l install file for last 3.6 version, just in case. I may go back to
>> it. Why? Because for the first time in since I switched to Win 7, I
>> experienced glitches that were occasional annoyances with FF 3 and XP:
>> a) _System_ freeze-up for no apparent reason; this resolved itself after
>> a minute or two.
>> b) "Firefox is already running", fixed via task manager and End Process.
>>
>> This is not good. Apparently, I should keep FF11 because it's more
>> secure than FF3.x. Maybe so. I can't tell, as I have shields that have
>> AFAICT protected this system more than adequately (1). So I'm thinking
>> about going back to FF 3.
>>
>> Just thought you'd like to know.
>>
>> Wolf K.
>>
>> Footnote:
>> (1) The most recent scan found 11 tracking cookies, no doubt installed
>> when websites wouldn't behave properly until I "temporarily allowed all
>> this page." No symptoms/signs of malware, but a "Vipre has blocked a
>> known bad file" message every other week or so.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to figure out what is causing your problems,
> and fix it, then you can enjoy the benefits of the newer versions?
>

Well, that's logical, but IMO not reasonable. If FF 3.6.x works just 
fine, and FF11 does not, then FF11 is at fault. I can't fix FF11, so ---

Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/24/2012 7:08:52 PM
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 24/03/2012 1:46 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>> On 3/24/2012 8:42 AM, Greywolf wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I d/l install file for last 3.6 version, just in case. I may go back to
>>> it. Why? Because for the first time in since I switched to Win 7, I
>>> experienced glitches that were occasional annoyances with FF 3 and XP:
>>> a) _System_ freeze-up for no apparent reason; this resolved itself after
>>> a minute or two.
>>> b) "Firefox is already running", fixed via task manager and End Process.
>>>
>>> This is not good. Apparently, I should keep FF11 because it's more
>>> secure than FF3.x. Maybe so. I can't tell, as I have shields that have
>>> AFAICT protected this system more than adequately (1). So I'm thinking
>>> about going back to FF 3.
>>>
>>> Just thought you'd like to know.
>>>
>>> Wolf K.
>>>
>>> Footnote:
>>> (1) The most recent scan found 11 tracking cookies, no doubt installed
>>> when websites wouldn't behave properly until I "temporarily allowed all
>>> this page." No symptoms/signs of malware, but a "Vipre has blocked a
>>> known bad file" message every other week or so.
>>
>>
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to figure out what is causing your problems,
>> and fix it, then you can enjoy the benefits of the newer versions?
>>
>
> Well, that's logical, but IMO not reasonable. If FF 3.6.x works just fine,
> and FF11 does not, then FF11 is at fault. I can't fix FF11, so ---

You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012? EOL
means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security fixes.
0
David
3/24/2012 9:11:26 PM
On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>> On 24/03/2012 1:46 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]
>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to figure out what is causing your problems,
>>> and fix it, then you can enjoy the benefits of the newer versions?
>>>
>>
>> Well, that's logical, but IMO not reasonable. If FF 3.6.x works just fine,
>> and FF11 does not, then FF11 is at fault. I can't fix FF11, so ---
>
> You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012? EOL
> means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security fixes.

No more bug fixes? No matter, it runs fine on this system. No crashes, 
no freezes, no nuthin'.

No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields appear 
to be impermeable. There was a trojan detected while I was still using 
XP, about 18 months ago. I think. I didn't make a note, so it may have 
been longer ago than that. Anyhow, it was quarantined by my anti-malware 
protection.

IOW, I see no need for F11, and if it messes up again, I'll revert to 
FF.3.6. And wait to see what problems people have with FF12.

HTH,
Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/24/2012 10:38:24 PM
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:24 -0400
Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:

> > You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012? EOL
> > means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security fixes.  

[snip]

> No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields
> appear to be impermeable.

No system is impermeable, and using an outdated browser for which there
will be published exploits will make it a lot more permeable.
0
UTF
3/25/2012 12:19:20 AM
See Post above "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 06:27:36 +0100, Christian Riechers
<chriechers@netscape.net.invalid> wrote:

>On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. 
>> I want to roll back to firefox 10 
>> 
>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>> they are now? 
>
>It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>version 11?
0
Private
3/25/2012 6:27:50 AM
WOW!

Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
questions. 

Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded 
to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best 
browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping. 

Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there. 




On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:42:58 -0400, Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>
>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>> they are now?
>>
>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>> version 11?
>>
>
>I d/l install file for last 3.6 version, just in case. I may go back to 
>it. Why? Because for the first time in since I switched to Win 7, I 
>experienced glitches that were occasional annoyances with FF 3 and XP:
>a) _System_ freeze-up for no apparent reason; this resolved itself after 
>a minute or two.
>b) "Firefox is already running", fixed via task manager and End Process.
>
>This is not good. Apparently, I should keep FF11 because it's more 
>secure than FF3.x. Maybe so. I can't tell, as I have shields that have 
>AFAICT protected this system more than adequately (1). So I'm thinking 
>about going back to FF 3.
>
>Just thought you'd like to know.
>
>Wolf K.
>
>Footnote:
>(1) The most recent scan found 11 tracking cookies, no doubt installed 
>when websites wouldn't behave properly until I "temporarily allowed all 
>this page." No symptoms/signs of malware, but a "Vipre has blocked a 
>known bad file" message every other week or so.
0
Private
3/25/2012 6:35:04 AM
On Sunday 25 March 2012 12:05 PM, Private wrote:
> WOW!
>
> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
> questions.
>

I hope I'm not late!

> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>
> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
> they are now?
What OS are you using?

Well, to be on the safe side, backup/(export) all your bookmarks.
Next, there are two ways,
First you could just install FF10 over your current version
Or, you could uninstall FF11 and then FF10. (there might be an option to 
retain bookmarks and settings while un-installation)

I've tried both of them but a long time ago so there might be some changes

0
Onkar
3/25/2012 7:18:23 AM
On 03/25/2012 08:35 AM, Private wrote:
>> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>>
>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>> they are now?
>>>
>>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>>> version 11?
>>>
> WOW!
>
> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
> questions.
>
> Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded
> to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best
> browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
> firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping.
>
> Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
> have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there.
>

You will get help when you state what problems you have with FF11.
Again, going back to FF10 without understanding what your problem is
doesn't make sense.
If you decide to dump FF please post what you're going to use instead.
Just curious.

-- 
Christian
0
Christian
3/25/2012 7:28:41 AM
On 24/03/2012 8:19 PM, =BBQ=AB wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:24 -0400
> Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>
>> On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:
>
>>> You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012? EOL
>>> means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security fixes.
>
> [snip]
>
>> No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields
>> appear to be impermeable.
>
> No system is impermeable, and using an outdated browser for which there=

> will be published exploits will make it a lot more permeable.

True, which is why I'm relieved to see "...has prevented a bad file from =

executing". Which has happened a couple of times, each time when a=20
friend sent me one of those cute bunnies or Inspirational Power Point or =

wow-ain't-this-amazing attachments. So far, nuthin' via the web, so I=20
guess I'm avoiding the sites that baddies use to infect unsuspecting=20
visitors. Or else the Random Factor is with me.

Wolf K.

0
Greywolf
3/25/2012 12:24:59 PM
On 25/03/2012 2:35 AM, Private wrote:
> WOW!
>
> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
> questions.
>
> Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded
> to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best
> browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
> firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping.
>
> Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
> have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there.
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:42:58 -0400, Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>>
>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>> they are now?

Yes, just d/l FF10 (google on "Firefox 1o download"), then copy the 
Profiles folder to a safe place, uninstall FF11, and install FF10. If 
you've used Windows uninstall applet, then the old Profile should still 
be in place, but if it isn't, copy the back-up Profile over the new one. 
That should do it.

Have fun,
Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/25/2012 12:28:31 PM
On 25/03/2012 3:28 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
[...]
> You will get help when you state what problems you have with FF11.
> Again, going back to FF10 without understanding what your problem is
> doesn't make sense.
> If you decide to dump FF please post what you're going to use instead.
> Just curious.

Christian, IMO it makes perfect sense to go back to an earlier, working 
version. Please keep in mind that the average user, such as OP, can't 
figure out how to fix F11. _You_ can do it, but I can't, and I'm an 
above-average user.

Not to mention that the average user shouldn't have to learn middle to 
advanced level computer skills to fix an errant application. The days 
when every car owner had to be a mechanic are long gone. Why should a 
computer owner have to be a computer tech?

Have fun,
Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/25/2012 12:32:54 PM
On 03/25/2012 02:24 PM, Greywolf wrote:
> On 24/03/2012 8:19 PM, �Q� wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:24 -0400
>> Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>>
>>> On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:
>>
>>>> You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012? EOL
>>>> means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security fixes.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields
>>> appear to be impermeable.
>>
>> No system is impermeable, and using an outdated browser for which there
>> will be published exploits will make it a lot more permeable.
>
> True, which is why I'm relieved to see "...has prevented a bad file from
> executing". Which has happened a couple of times, each time when a
> friend sent me one of those cute bunnies or Inspirational Power Point or
> wow-ain't-this-amazing attachments. So far, nuthin' via the web, so I
> guess I'm avoiding the sites that baddies use to infect unsuspecting
> visitors. Or else the Random Factor is with me.
>
> Wolf K.
>
Either that or you just didn't notice. :)

0
dillinger
3/25/2012 3:53:47 PM
My Problems were explained in the previous post!! 
No response to that one!!!    

DO I need to have multiple threads to get help????????????

I thought that was a NO NO!  

My first post listed the issues I was having!   As I stated last night
and again today!    

Check the post I did a few threads before this

 "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"

There I also listed my OS  I am using. 

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:28:41 +0200, Christian Riechers
<chriechers@netscape.net.invalid> wrote:

>On 03/25/2012 08:35 AM, Private wrote:
>>> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>>>
>>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>>> they are now?
>>>>
>>>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>>>> version 11?
>>>>
>> WOW!
>>
>> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
>> questions.
>>
>> Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded
>> to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best
>> browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
>> firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping.
>>
>> Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
>> have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there.
>>
>
>You will get help when you state what problems you have with FF11.
>Again, going back to FF10 without understanding what your problem is
>doesn't make sense.
>If you decide to dump FF please post what you're going to use instead.
>Just curious.
0
Private
3/25/2012 7:03:41 PM
For the ones that did not pay attention to my previous thread that I
posted my problems.   Here they are again.

a few days ago upgraded to firefox 11 but it seems to be doing some
funny things.  Never had any problem with 10 in these areas. 

I have found some websites that worked with firefox 10 and previous do
not work with 11.   One that I use fairly often is mapquest.  But
could not get it to load in firefox 11. 

Anyone else having problems???

Also,  if I have a few tabs open,  after a while it will quit letting
me switch tabs,  and my mouse quits scroling.   The only way to fix
the problem is to close firefox,  then restart it.   So I had to
change my settings to reload the tabs that were open when I close
firefox. 

Is there a way to go back to firefox 10 and still keep all my profile
settings,  prefences and bookmarks etc.  

Or maybe uninstall and reinstall 11,  if it seems that maybe I just
had a bad upgrade. 

I am using windows 7,  x64,   have 8 gb memory. 

I have disabled addons but still same problems. 

Thanks for your suggestions and help.   I hate to have to start up IE
to go to a web site. 

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:28:41 +0200, Christian Riechers
<chriechers@netscape.net.invalid> wrote:

>On 03/25/2012 08:35 AM, Private wrote:
>>> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>>>
>>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>>> they are now?
>>>>
>>>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>>>> version 11?
>>>>
>> WOW!
>>
>> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
>> questions.
>>
>> Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded
>> to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best
>> browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
>> firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping.
>>
>> Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
>> have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there.
>>
>
>You will get help when you state what problems you have with FF11.
>Again, going back to FF10 without understanding what your problem is
>doesn't make sense.
>If you decide to dump FF please post what you're going to use instead.
>Just curious.
0
Private
3/25/2012 7:05:04 PM

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:32:54 -0400, Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On 25/03/2012 3:28 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>[...]
>> You will get help when you state what problems you have with FF11.
>> Again, going back to FF10 without understanding what your problem is
>> doesn't make sense.
>> If you decide to dump FF please post what you're going to use instead.
>> Just curious.
>
>Christian, IMO it makes perfect sense to go back to an earlier, working 
>version. Please keep in mind that the average user, such as OP, can't 
>figure out how to fix F11. _You_ can do it, but I can't, and I'm an 
>above-average user.
>
>Not to mention that the average user shouldn't have to learn middle to 
>advanced level computer skills to fix an errant application. The days 
>when every car owner had to be a mechanic are long gone. Why should a 
>computer owner have to be a computer tech?
>
>Have fun,
>Wolf K.


Well said Wolf,   I too am above average user,   but it makes wondar
why so many releases,  without working out the bugs first.  It will
destroy their user base fast!!   As most people will dump them and use
something else.  
0
Private
3/25/2012 7:07:25 PM
Thanks Wolf  sounds like a good plan to me.  

I have three computers running firefox 10,  but only one I upgraded,
but will  not upgrade the others until they iron out these bugs.  if
they do.  

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:28:31 -0400, Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On 25/03/2012 2:35 AM, Private wrote:
>> WOW!
>>
>> Seems like my thread has been highjacked with no one responding to my
>> questions.
>>
>> Above in Post "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"   no one responded
>> to my issues or how to fix them.   So perhaps Firefox is not the best
>> browser anymore,   I have used netscape until it was gone, then
>> firefox.   Have loved them up to now,  seems like they are slipping.
>>
>> Certainly do not trust Google,  and hate Microsoft.  So guess I will
>> have to go looking to see what other browsers are out there.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:42:58 -0400, Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 24/03/2012 1:27 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11.
>>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10
>>>>>
>>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>>> they are now?
>
>Yes, just d/l FF10 (google on "Firefox 1o download"), then copy the 
>Profiles folder to a safe place, uninstall FF11, and install FF10. If 
>you've used Windows uninstall applet, then the old Profile should still 
>be in place, but if it isn't, copy the back-up Profile over the new one. 
>That should do it.
>
>Have fun,
>Wolf K.
0
Private
3/25/2012 7:09:48 PM
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:27:50 -0700, Private <privateNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>See Post above "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"
>
>On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 06:27:36 +0100, Christian Riechers
><chriechers@netscape.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. 
>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10 
>>> 
>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>> they are now? 
>>
>>It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>>version 11?

Again copy of previous post!! 

a few days ago upgraded to firefox 11 but it seems to be doing some
funny things.  Never had any problem with 10 in these areas. 

I have found some websites that worked with firefox 10 and previous do
not work with 11.   One that I use fairly often is mapquest.  But
could not get it to load in firefox 11. 

Anyone else having problems???

Also,  if I have a few tabs open,  after a while it will quit letting
me switch tabs,  and my mouse quits scroling.   The only way to fix
the problem is to close firefox,  then restart it.   So I had to
change my settings to reload the tabs that were open when I close
firefox. 

Is there a way to go back to firefox 10 and still keep all my profile
settings,  prefences and bookmarks etc.  

Or maybe uninstall and reinstall 11,  if it seems that maybe I just
had a bad upgrade. 

I am using windows 7,  x64,   have 8 gb memory. 

I have disabled addons but still same problems. 

Thanks for your suggestions and help.   I hate to have to start up IE
to go to a web site. 

0
Private
3/25/2012 7:10:36 PM
On 03/25/2012 03:10 PM, Private wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:27:50 -0700, Private <privateNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> See Post above "Firefox 11 upgrade being quirky"
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 06:27:36 +0100, Christian Riechers
>> <chriechers@netscape.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 03/24/2012 02:30 AM, Private wrote:
>>>> Something must have not worked right with my upgrade to Firefox 11. 
>>>> I want to roll back to firefox 10 
>>>>
>>>> Is this possible to do so and keep all my settings, bookmarks, etc. as
>>>> they are now? 
>>>
>>> It's possible, but it doesn't make sense. What problem did you have with
>>> version 11?
> 
> Again copy of previous post!! 
> 

So are you not seeing the replies to your previous post?

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_thread/thread/c1e029f1372c647c#

-- 
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
Humans aren't a color of skin, a religion, a sex, a sexual orientation,
or a flag. We are human beings and that is how we need to see and treat
each other. - Justin Sane
0
WLS
3/25/2012 8:20:08 PM
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:24:59 -0400
Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 24/03/2012 8:19 PM, =C2=BBQ=C2=AB wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:24 -0400
> > Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
> >
> >> On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:
> >
> >>> You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012?
> >>> EOL means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security
> >>> fixes.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields
> >> appear to be impermeable.
> >
> > No system is impermeable, and using an outdated browser for which
> > there will be published exploits will make it a lot more permeable.
>=20
> True, which is why I'm relieved to see "...has prevented a bad file
> from executing". Which has happened a couple of times, each time when
> a friend sent me one of those cute bunnies or Inspirational Power
> Point or wow-ain't-this-amazing attachments. So far, nuthin' via the
> web, so I guess I'm avoiding the sites that baddies use to infect
> unsuspecting visitors. Or else the Random Factor is with me.

You're using a browser that's up-to-date with security fixes, at least
until April.  Once you have an easily exploited browser, maybe your
other software will alert you to attempted exploits, maybe not.  And if
not, you won't know about them.

0
UTF
3/25/2012 9:06:49 PM
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM, =BBQ=AB <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:24:59 -0400
> Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 24/03/2012 8:19 PM, =BBQ=AB wrote:
>> > On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:38:24 -0400
>> > Greywolf<wekirch@sympatico.ca> =A0wrote:
>> >
>> >> On 24/03/2012 5:11 PM, David Boles wrote:
>> >
>> >>> You are aware that the 3.6.x series will be EOL April 24th 2012?
>> >>> EOL means no more updates. No more bug fixes. No more security
>> >>> fixes.
>> >
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> >> No security fixes? As I said, no malware here on W7. My shields
>> >> appear to be impermeable.
>> >
>> > No system is impermeable, and using an outdated browser for which
>> > there will be published exploits will make it a lot more permeable.
>>
>> True, which is why I'm relieved to see "...has prevented a bad file
>> from executing". Which has happened a couple of times, each time when
>> a friend sent me one of those cute bunnies or Inspirational Power
>> Point or wow-ain't-this-amazing attachments. So far, nuthin' via the
>> web, so I guess I'm avoiding the sites that baddies use to infect
>> unsuspecting visitors. Or else the Random Factor is with me.
>
> You're using a browser that's up-to-date with security fixes, at least
> until April. =A0Once you have an easily exploited browser, maybe your
> other software will alert you to attempted exploits, maybe not. =A0And if
> not, you won't know about them.


You are wasting your breath here. Some users are "Ten feet tall and
bullet proof". Well. At least they *think* that they are.
0
David
3/25/2012 10:04:47 PM
On 25/03/2012 6:04 PM, David Boles wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM, =BBQ=AB<boxcars@gmx.net>  wrote:
[...]
>> You're using a browser that's up-to-date with security fixes, at least=

>> until April

Actually, I'm using FF11. So far, no additional glitches, so who knows.

>> Once you have an easily exploited browser, maybe your
>> other software will alert you to attempted exploits, maybe not.  And i=
f
>> not, you won't know about them.

Um, according to the rumour mill, FF is no longer the most secure=20
browser....

> You are wasting your breath here. Some users are "Ten feet tall and
> bullet proof". Well. At least they *think* that they are.

FWIW, I did have a _really_ nasty infection about 3 years ago, on XP. I=20
could tell you about how I fixed it, and how I've protected this system=20
since then, but I guess it wouldn't impress you.....

Wolf K.

0
Greywolf
3/25/2012 11:02:04 PM
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Greywolf <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 25/03/2012 6:04 PM, David Boles wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM, =BBQ=AB<boxcars@gmx.net> =A0wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> You're using a browser that's up-to-date with security fixes, at least
>>> until April
>
>
> Actually, I'm using FF11. So far, no additional glitches, so who knows.
>
>
>>> Once you have an easily exploited browser, maybe your
>>> other software will alert you to attempted exploits, maybe not. =A0And =
if
>>> not, you won't know about them.
>
>
> Um, according to the rumour mill, FF is no longer the most secure
> browser....


So you justify running a soon to be out of date version with that argument?


>> You are wasting your breath here. Some users are "Ten feet tall and
>> bullet proof". Well. At least they *think* that they are.
>
>
> FWIW, I did have a _really_ nasty infection about 3 years ago, on XP. I
> could tell you about how I fixed it, and how I've protected this system
> since then, but I guess it wouldn't impress you.....


Good for you. XP is really old and was not very secure, by default,
from the beginning. It could be made secure but it was more effort
than most general users could handle.

All that I was trying to impress upon you is this.

"Mozilla Foundation Security Advisories"

<http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/>

As you can see these are the *fixed* problems in various releases. In
the first paragraph is a link to the list of *known but not yet fixed*
vulnerabilities in the releases. The items on that list *never* get
fixed in EOLs. And since your browser announces itself by version it
is actually easy for a 'robot' to search The Internet and find those
people using those browsers.

The same is true for Thunderbird.

As for "it wouldn't impress you....."? I am sure that you are doing
everything that you can... But you are still not "Ten feet tall and
bullet proof".

I have been 'lucky' and 'careful' for a long, long time. The only
actual virus I have ever had that actually did damage was named
"Montezuma's Revenge" and that was back with DOS 3.3. I go back as far
as DOS 1.0 and real IBM XTs with 5 1/4 floppies and 348 k memories.
Actually before that. Z80's come to mind. I had a beta copy of Windows
2 as well as OS/2 2.0. And computers is not even my 'job',

Sir you are certainly free to do as you wish but I would suggest that
if you have a problem with Firefox that you ask for help before you
run known to be insecure software.

but again. That is you choice. Have a nice day.
0
David
3/25/2012 11:43:57 PM
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:47 -0400
David Boles <thetinsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are wasting your breath here. Some users are "Ten feet tall and
> bullet proof". Well. At least they *think* that they are.

I've seen a few people post here and elsewhere that they may stay with
Firefox 3.6.x;  if this thread convinces even one of them to transition
to a modern browser, the breath isn't wasted IMO.
0
UTF
3/26/2012 3:40:40 AM
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM, =BBQ=AB <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:47 -0400
> David Boles <thetinsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You are wasting your breath here. Some users are "Ten feet tall and
>> bullet proof". Well. At least they *think* that they are.
>
> I've seen a few people post here and elsewhere that they may stay with
> Firefox 3.6.x; =A0if this thread convinces even one of them to transition
> to a modern browser, the breath isn't wasted IMO.



Your choice friend. And a noble cause. However... In my line of work
there is a rule.

The law of diminishing returns (also law of diminishing marginal
returns or law of increasing relative cost) states that in all
productive processes, adding more of one factor of production, while
holding all others constant, will at some point yield lower per-unit
returns.

Simply put? The return, after a point, does nor justify the expense of
the effort.
0
David
3/26/2012 4:15:21 AM
On 25/03/2012 7:43 PM, David Boles wrote:
> I have been 'lucky' and 'careful' for a long, long time. The only
> actual virus I have ever had that actually did damage was named
> "Montezuma's Revenge" and that was back with DOS 3.3. I go back as far
> as DOS 1.0 and real IBM XTs with 5 1/4 floppies and 348 k memories.
> Actually before that. Z80's come to mind. I had a beta copy of Windows
> 2 as well as OS/2 2.0. And computers is not even my 'job',

Oh, goody, let's wallow in nostalgia!

I go back to TRS-80, Atari, a handful of Z-80 machines, Amiga, the first 
Apples, PETs, and XTs. All owned by friends, relations, or the school. 
My first exposure to computers was on an IBM mainframe. I took a 
machine-language coding course which started with binary codes and 
progressed to 2-character op-codes. We filled in little boxes on cards 
which were read and converted to punched paper tape... Ah, them wuz the 
days!

The first machine I actually owned was a C-64. I still feel nostalgia 
for that one, got a 1MB memory expansion cartridge, did a fair amount of 
machine-language programming for it (following Jim Butterfield's 
recipes), and later used Comal.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx is making C-64 and Vic-20 
boxes with modern innards, at reasonable prices compared to similar 
specced systems. They're also promising an updated Amiga. H'mm.

;-)

Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/26/2012 3:17:20 PM
On 26/03/2012 3:32 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 3/25/2012 11:15 PM, David Boles wrote:
[...]
>> The law of diminishing returns (also law of diminishing marginal
>> returns or law of increasing relative cost) states that in all
>> productive processes, adding more of one factor of production, while
>> holding all others constant, will at some point yield lower per-unit
>> returns.
>>
>> Simply put? The return, after a point, does nor justify the expense of
>> the effort.
>
> A great argument for staying with the Model T.
> And a reason many businesses fail. Lack of progress, and refusal to even
> contemplate change.
>

I think David B is talking about same-old, existing technology. They 
"mature". Game-changing, disruptive technologies are a different story.

The Model T was actually such a technology, or rather, Ford's adaptation 
of  the assembly line, which entailed standardized parts. the car, as 
personal transportation technology, has matured: the assembly line is 
now largely automated, and (apart from styling changes and engineering 
tweaks) cars are the same from year to year. What's the future of 
personal transportation? In the short term I think we'll stick with 
cars, and slowly improve mass transit. Beyond that? I see a few glimmers 
of new technology, or old technology reinvented. The electric car needs 
a game-changing battery and charging system, there are a few hints of 
such a technology.

The browser is a disruptive technology: it's what made the development 
of the Web possible. It's difficult for people who never experienced 
closed e-mail networks, or privately run bulletin boards, to imagine how 
limited the original internet was. To get data from another machine, you 
had to dial its telephone number. Etc.

IMO Facebook and the like are really extensions or variations of the 
browser concept: your Facebook page is after all just a website with 
more or less controlled access. But the browser is IMO a technology that 
has matured very, very quickly.

The next disruptive computer technology is already here: the touch 
screen on a thin, flexible display. The tablet is IMO merely the first 
device to take full advantage of the touch screen, but the iPad is 
deficient. Combined with thin, flexible screens, the touch screen will 
make computing anywhere and everywhere possible. You won't carry a phone 
to the coffee shop, you'll just swipe the table top, touch the 
fingerprint scanner, and do whatever you want. As long as you have 
enough credit in your account, that is. ;-)

Anyhow, that's how I see the story,
Wolf K.
0
Greywolf
3/26/2012 3:50:37 PM
On 3/26/2012 10:50 AM, Greywolf wrote:
> On 26/03/2012 3:32 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 3/25/2012 11:15 PM, David Boles wrote:
> [...]
>>> The law of diminishing returns (also law of diminishing marginal
>>> returns or law of increasing relative cost) states that in all
>>> productive processes, adding more of one factor of production, while
>>> holding all others constant, will at some point yield lower per-unit
>>> returns.
>>>
>>> Simply put? The return, after a point, does nor justify the expense of
>>> the effort.
>>
>> A great argument for staying with the Model T.
>> And a reason many businesses fail. Lack of progress, and refusal to even
>> contemplate change.
>>
>
> I think David B is talking about same-old, existing technology. They
> "mature". Game-changing, disruptive technologies are a different story.
>
> The Model T was actually such a technology, or rather, Ford's adaptation
> of the assembly line, which entailed standardized parts. the car, as
> personal transportation technology, has matured: the assembly line is
> now largely automated, and (apart from styling changes and engineering
> tweaks) cars are the same from year to year. What's the future of
> personal transportation? In the short term I think we'll stick with
> cars, and slowly improve mass transit. Beyond that? I see a few glimmers
> of new technology, or old technology reinvented. The electric car needs
> a game-changing battery and charging system, there are a few hints of
> such a technology.
>
> The browser is a disruptive technology: it's what made the development
> of the Web possible. It's difficult for people who never experienced
> closed e-mail networks, or privately run bulletin boards, to imagine how
> limited the original internet was. To get data from another machine, you
> had to dial its telephone number. Etc.
>
> IMO Facebook and the like are really extensions or variations of the
> browser concept: your Facebook page is after all just a website with
> more or less controlled access. But the browser is IMO a technology that
> has matured very, very quickly.
>
> The next disruptive computer technology is already here: the touch
> screen on a thin, flexible display. The tablet is IMO merely the first
> device to take full advantage of the touch screen, but the iPad is
> deficient. Combined with thin, flexible screens, the touch screen will
> make computing anywhere and everywhere possible. You won't carry a phone
> to the coffee shop, you'll just swipe the table top, touch the
> fingerprint scanner, and do whatever you want. As long as you have
> enough credit in your account, that is. ;-)
>
> Anyhow, that's how I see the story,
> Wolf K.

Follow up set to mozilla.general

If by 'flexible display, one that can be built into various shapes, or 
moulded into other device, that may happen, but I can't imaging that we 
will see displays that one unfolds, or unrolls, onto a tabletop.  Too 
many serious problems with durability.
0
Ron
3/26/2012 8:13:36 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download-process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail%2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web_form_id=10
Name: bunny Email: 1waskwywabbitatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download-process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail%2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web_form_id=105814493&name=bunny&unit=firefox%2dorg Comments: are you aware of this website? http://www.firefox-community-edition.org/firefox-download- process/firefox-offer-premium.php?from=1waskwywabbit%40gmail% 2ecom&meta_adtracking=ffdoi&meta_message=1&meta_required=from&meta_web...

Firefox or not Firefox
Name: M B Fletcher Email: mf38794atntlworlddotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox or not Firefox Comments: You asked why I took it off but did not ask more than the basics. I put security but in fact I put on Fire fox today and found a GOOGLE front page for searching when I had nothing there before. I wondered if I had been hijacked or you had done a very stupid update. I still do not know for sure. I do not ever use Google that I know of. The biggest spy on computers in the world and you should know better. If I find it is correct on Firefox I will go back to IE. At...

When quit firefox, it keeps firefox-bin and firefox running!
When I quit firefox (closing the window) and I run "ps -C firefox" and "ps -C firefox-bin" both are shown as still running even a minute later! How do I get firefox to actually close? -- 6tr6tr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It could be killall firefox.bin -- joerione ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joerione's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38077 View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=431275 On Wed, 20 Jan 201...

Firefox 3.5.1 / MacOs 10.4.11 Firefox extremly slow
Name: thb Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5.1 / MacOs 10.4.11 Firefox extremly slow Comments: if I click on tabs it takes more than 5 sec until the tab changed, also when i fill this form - i have to wait for every letter ... 3.o was fine, but 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 is absolutly terrible, waiting, waiting, waiting and than crashs ....... sorry, but after some great years with firefox, i change back to safari .... Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; de; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: H...

Firefox Releases for the 10 Years of Firefox Campaign
Hi localizers! First and foremost, thank you all for being so responsive to 10 years of Firefox campaign. Landing new en-Us strings in Beta can be a terribly tricky process, but it was thrilling to see how quickly you responded and engaged in this campaign. Because of your efforts, we've seen the highest number of updated and signed off localizations for Firefox 33 than we've seen in several releases (70 locales, 80% of the total). Thank you! 9 November is the 10 year anniversary. While Firefox 33 will be in the release channel on 9 Nov, Firefox 34 (in Beta) and Fir...

Firefox & Firefox 3
Name: Steve Sadler Email: grstevesadlerathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox & Firefox 3 Comments: Hi I downloaded Firefox 3 both because I prefer your browser & because I thought it might fix a problem I have had for some time... I can't access my Gmail account. The sign up process to access my account always ends with a blank screen. I have been forced to revert to explorer to get my mail. Any thoughts? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

what the hell, Firefox? Constant freezing by Firefox 2.0.0.12/Mac OS 10.4.11
Name: hhw Product: Firefox Summary: what the hell, Firefox? Constant freezing by Firefox 2.0.0.12/Mac OS 10.4.11 Comments: I'm sending this comment via Safari, where I plan to stay despite several happy years using your browser. However, I'm sick of having to force-quit the app dozens of times a day when a slow network connection while an image or blog widget attempts to load makes the browser freeze up permanently. Here's a description of the problem by the founder of Livejournal: http://brad.livejournal.com/2369648.html Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Ma...

Firefox 3.0.10 & Firefox 3.5 beta 4 'add-on' error
Name: Ronald Chang Email: ronchangatnetvigatordotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.0.10 & Firefox 3.5 beta 4 'add-on' error Comments: Firefox 3.0.10 & Firefox 3.5 beta 4 some times will got one crazy thing as follows: If the tabs so many and then crash, after restart then click the Add-On (Plug-In) window – it will freeze and can't choose any item on all four basic tabs and one extra tab such as 'get add-on', 'add-on', 'themes', 'external programs' and 'update'. It most happen on Firefox 3.0.10 and MUST shutdo...

Firefox uses Firefox.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/07/07/please-i-can-has-firefox/ :P -- "It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. Ant wrote: ...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Firefox graphics issues on Windows 10 + Firefox 40
Hey, people on reddit.com/r/firefox are reporting a fair amount of graphics related issues. It seems like most of it boils down to newly blacklisted drivers? Is there a bug for this somewhere? Thanks, Tom ...

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox crashes without warning = using Vista Premium and Firefox 3.0.11, started in 3.0.10
Name: Ian Gribble Email: iangribbleatbigponddotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox crashes without warning = using Vista Premium and Firefox 3.0.11, started in 3.0.10 Comments: as in summary - when reporting from Error Summary page there is no indication of successful report. Fire fox is a great product, this crashing started in v 3.0.10, I have not installed any new software. Firefox restarts OK with prior session - more annoying than fatal. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) ...