How disable save file popup error message: file "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." ; jor

When I save web pages (complete, not merely html, in order to save
images) to my disk, while offline, I get about 10 pop up messages saying
it can't load .js & .php files. I have to close each one of those 10
windows individually - a big waste of human time.

Firefox 3.6.10 on Ubuntu Linux 10.4

Is there a way to
1) disable those info messages so they don't pop up, or
2) have ff put all the messages into merely one window, so I only have
to close one window per web page.

Thanks. :)

=
Popup window error message:
{filename path to folder on disk} "could not be saved, because the
source file could not be read.
Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

==  Example page to save, after loading the page, then going offline
internet.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/01/12/bloomberg1376-LETC1907SXKY01-082QN19KJFNJTJC4RU2ECRFK0R.DTL
Android Beats Apple App Store's Growth, Distimo Says

=====  Reference: Knowledge base mozillazine,  from search.
Only 1 result in search, which isn't about this exact issue:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files#Change_or_reset_actions_for_file_types
Unable to save or download files
5) Change or reset actions for file types

Firefox may be set to handle certain types of files with an automatic
action and sometimes it is not what you want or may result in errors.
For example, Firefox may automatically open a certain file type with an
application or plugin, when you would rather save the file. Check for
entries related to the problem file type via "Tools -> Options ->
Content / File Types -> Manage..." (Firefox 2 ) or

"Tools -> Options -> Applications" (Firefox 3)

and change the action. For more information, see File types and download
actions.

You can reset all file download actions to the default settings by
removing the mimeTypes.rdf file from the Firefox profile folder, as
follows:

   1. Close Firefox completely
   2. Open the Firefox profile folder. Important: this folder is hidden
   by default on Windows and Linux. Read this for help finding it.
   3. Delete (or rename) the "mimeTypes.rdf" file (a new file will be
   created when you next start Firefox)

    * <filename>.exe could not be opened, because an unknown error
    occurred. Try saving to disk first and then opening this file.

If you see this error, delete (or rename) the mimeTypes.rdf file in the
Firefox profile folder, as explained above. This will resolve an issue
in which Firefox tries to open executable (exe) files, which causes this
error to occur. [17] [18]

=

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search?w=2&q=could+not+be+saved%2C+because+the+source+file+could+not+be+read.

search: "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."

gives 1 result:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/674183?s=could+not+be+saved%2C+because+the+source+file+could+not+be+read.&as=s
In trying to update I received this message: Firefox 3.6.3(2).dmg.part
could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

giovanni_re

giovanni_re wrote:
> [...]
>
> If you see this error, delete (or rename) the mimeTypes.rdf file in the
> Firefox profile folder, as explained above. This will resolve an issue
> in which Firefox tries to open executable (exe) files, which causes this
> error to occur. [17] [18]
>
> =
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search?w=2&q=could+not+be+saved%2C+because+the+source+file+could+not+be+read.
>
> search: "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."
>
> gives 1 result:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/674183?s=could+not+be+saved%2C+because+the+source+file+could+not+be+read.&as=s
> In trying to update I received this message: Firefox 3.6.3(2).dmg.part
> could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
>
> ==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW&  Culture

PHP is a programming language that runs on a web server.  The file
extension ".php" tells the server to run a program which follows
instructions in the .php file to create, usually, an html file that your
web browser can read.  PHP will not run on your computer unless you have
a web server and a PHP interpreter installed there.

What might work for you when you save a .php file as "Web page complete"
is to change the file extension of the saved file from .php to .html,
since, in most cases, the files your Firefox actually sees is the HTML
file that was created on the server and sent to you.

Dave Pyles
0
David
1/13/2011 12:44:00 AM
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:44:00 -0500, "David Pyles" <noname@user.invalid>
said:
> giovanni_re wrote:
> > When I save web pages (complete, not merely html, in order to save
> > images) to my disk, while offline, I get about 10 pop up messages saying
> > it can't load .js&  .php files. I have to close each one of those 10
> > windows individually - a big waste of human time.
> >
> > Firefox 3.6.10 on Ubuntu Linux 10.4
> >
> > Is there a way to
> > 1) disable those info messages so they don't pop up, or
> > 2) have ff put all the messages into merely one window, so I only have
> > to close one window per web page.
> >
> > Thanks. :)
> >
> > =
> > Popup window error message:
> > {filename path to folder on disk} "could not be saved, because the
> > source file could not be read.
> > Try again later, or contact the server administrator."
> >

> PHP is a programming language that runs on a web server.  The file
> extension ".php" tells the server to run a program which follows
> instructions in the .php file to create, usually, an html file that your
> web browser can read.  PHP will not run on your computer unless you have
> a web server and a PHP interpreter installed there.
>
> What might work for you when you save a .php file as "Web page complete"
> is to change the file extension of the saved file from .php to .html,
> since, in most cases, the files your Firefox actually sees is the HTML
> file that was created on the server and sent to you.
>
> Dave Pyles

Thanks Dave, for your help.  :)  Please let me clarify a bit, cause it
seems I didn't communicate this question understandably.

I'm not trying to:
"when you save a .php file as "Web page complete" "

So, it seems to be irrelevant that I would try
"to change the file extension of the saved file from .php to .html"

I'm only trying to save a web page (the html part) plus the images on
the page.  I _don't_ want to save the .php or .js files which might be
referred to in the web page I'm trying to save.  All I want is to save
the page text (including formatting text formatting info) & the images.

I've already pulled the page into the firefox browser while I was
online.  so, the web page & the images are already stored in my computer
within Firefox.  Then, I go offline, & later decide to save that
particular page, which is visible in the ff window tab.

I do 'ctrl-s', select to save the "web page, complete"  & click to save
the page to my disk.

That's when those unwanted popup notifications, about .js & .php files,
popup.

I'd like to be able to make a setting in firefox telling it:
"When I save a complete web page, which is displaying in ff, while I am
offline:
Then: do not try to save the .js & .php files referred to within the web
page, &
do not give me popup notice messages that those files can't be located."

That will save me from having to make about 10 "ok" button mouse clicks
(one for each of those popup message) per web page I'm trying to save.

Note: The firefox "save page" dialog box only has 4 options of what to
save, & the only one that seems to be able to save the text plus images
is "web page, complete".

Point there: I don't have a way in the save-page dialog box to tell it
not to save the .js & don't save the .php pages reffered to within the
page.

PS: here's a page more accurate than the above example, because this
page includes a picture, which is the usual case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Summer_Olympics

Note that when, while offline, I do 'ctrl-s' to save the page,
the file name for the page to be saved ends in ".html" extension.
So, it's not as you suggested, that there is some way for me
"to change the file extension of the saved file from .php to .html"

So: Is there some way to tell FF to not save those .js & .php pieces?

Thanks again. :)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

giovanni_re
1/13/2011 1:38:06 AM
giovanni_re wrote:

> [...]
> is "web page, complete".
>
> Point there: I don't have a way in the save-page dialog box to tell it
> not to save the .js&  don't save the .php pages reffered to within the
> page.
>

> PS: here's a page more accurate than the above example, because this
> page includes a picture, which is the usual case.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Summer_Olympics
>
> Note that when, while offline, I do 'ctrl-s' to save the page,
> the file name for the page to be saved ends in ".html" extension.
> So, it's not as you suggested, that there is some way for me
> "to change the file extension of the saved file from .php to .html"
>

> So: Is there some way to tell FF to not save those .js&  .php pieces?
>
> Thanks again. :)
>
> ==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW&  Culture

Using the Wikipdia link you provided, I loaded the page, then disabled
my internet connection and saved it as web page complete.  When I load
the saved page into Firefox, I see it but without the Wikipedia logo,
without the image in the 10th Anniv. ad and with the styling slightly
changed, but with all the other images showing in the page.

I do not get the pop-ups that are causing you problems, so I don't know
what to say about how to stop them.

Dave Pyles
0
David
1/13/2011 3:21:06 AM
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:21:06 -0500, "David Pyles" <noname@user.invalid>
said:
> giovanni_re wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:44:00 -0500, "David Pyles"<noname@user.invalid>
> > said:

Popup window name in title bar: "Download Error <10>"

> Using the Wikipdia link you provided, I loaded the page, then disabled
> my internet connection and saved it as web page complete.  When I load
> the saved page into Firefox, I see it but without the Wikipedia logo,
> without the image in the 10th Anniv. ad and with the styling slightly
> changed, but with all the other images showing in the page.
>
> I do not get the pop-ups that are causing you problems, so I don't know
> what to say about how to stop them.

Thanks again Dave. :)

Hmm. very interesting.

So, I am using several add-on extensions in firefox.

I'm also using the multiple user profiles capability of firefox.

So, I started up a new instance of firefox, and created a new profile
"Test", and that profile starts up without any add-ons.

I then loaded that wikipedia page, did my normal "File > work offline",
then saved that page to disk.  And, it saved fine, without any Download
Error popup message.

I then repeated this with a new wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens
in my regular browser profile, which has the add-on extensions, & that
failed as usual.

So, I'm guessing this might likely be due to the add-on extensions, or
some other setting in my browser.

The add-on extensions I have currently installed & turned on are:
Adblock Plus 1.2, BetterPrivacy 1.47.4, DownloadHelper 4.7.3, Flashblock
1.5.13, Ghostery 2.1.1, and NoScript 1.9.9.74

Tomorrow I will try disabling them, to see if this problem then stops.

Other than DownloadHelper, those are important extensions I'd hate to
have to stop using.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be the cause,
please let me know any ideas you have.

Thanks.  :)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

giovanni_re
1/13/2011 4:54:35 AM
giovanni_re wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:21:06 -0500, "David Pyles"<noname@user.invalid>
> said:
>> giovanni_re wrote:

> Popup window name in title bar: "Download Error<10>"

>> Using the Wikipdia link you provided, I loaded the page, then disabled
>> my internet connection and saved it as web page complete.  When I load
>> the saved page into Firefox, I see it but without the Wikipedia logo,
>> without the image in the 10th Anniv. ad and with the styling slightly
>> changed, but with all the other images showing in the page.
>>
>> I do not get the pop-ups that are causing you problems, so I don't know
>> what to say about how to stop them.
>
> Thanks again Dave. :)
>
> Hmm. very interesting.
>
> So, I am using several add-on extensions in firefox.
>
> I'm also using the multiple user profiles capability of firefox.
>
> So, I started up a new instance of firefox, and created a new profile
> "Test", and that profile starts up without any add-ons.
>
> I then loaded that wikipedia page, did my normal "File>  work offline",
> then saved that page to disk.  And, it saved fine, without any Download
> Error popup message.
>
> I then repeated this with a new wikipedia page
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens
> in my regular browser profile, which has the add-on extensions,&  that
> failed as usual.
>

> So, I'm guessing this might likely be due to the add-on extensions, or
> some other setting in my browser.
>
> The add-on extensions I have currently installed&  turned on are:
> Adblock Plus 1.2, BetterPrivacy 1.47.4, DownloadHelper 4.7.3, Flashblock
> 1.5.13, Ghostery 2.1.1, and NoScript 1.9.9.74
>
> Tomorrow I will try disabling them, to see if this problem then stops.
>
> Other than DownloadHelper, those are important extensions I'd hate to
> have to stop using.
>
> If you have any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be the cause,
> please let me know any ideas you have.
>
> Thanks.  :)
>
> ==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW&  Culture
> http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/

You don't have a lot of extensions.  I would suggest disabling them all
then adding them back one at a time to see which is causing the problem.
  For what it's worth, I have none of the extensions that you list
installed.
Dave Pyles
0
David
1/13/2011 2:55:20 PM
I'm having the same problem as giovanni. I'm using firefox ver. 3.6.13
No extensions.
That is really annoying as I'm saving lots of pages...

Don't remember having this kind of problem when I was using older
versions (ver 2).

I just thought maybe this is just the way the new versions work. (-
_-')

Any ideas? Thanx...
0
Sathanas

superreview requested: [Bug 298478] Downloads fail with "..could not be saved, because the source file could not be read" (error in JS Console: "Error: uncaught exception:Permission denied to get prop
Chase Phillips <chase@mozilla.org> has asked Daniel Veditz <dveditz@cruzio.com> for superreview: Bug 298478: Downloads fail with "..could not be saved, because the source file could not be read" (error in JS Console: "Error: uncaught exception:Permission denied to get property RegExp.constructor") https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298478 Attachment 187169: Alternative approach, give the component loader its own compilation context https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=187169&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 298478] Downloads fail with "..could not be saved, because the source file could not be read" (error in JS Console: "Error: uncaught exception:Permission denied to get proper
Daniel Veditz <dveditz@cruzio.com> has granted Chase Phillips <chase@mozilla.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 298478: Downloads fail with "..could not be saved, because the source file could not be read" (error in JS Console: "Error: uncaught exception:Permission denied to get property RegExp.constructor") https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298478 Attachment 187169: Alternative approach, give the component loader its own compilation context https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=187169&action=edit ------- Additional Comm...

Shortcut Key for "File" -> "Save As File"
Hi all, We can save as DataWindow Object into .XML file through "File-> Save As File" option (after opening DataWindow Object in PB). Here I am unable to identify shortcut key for "Save As File", can any one tell me the shortcut key is available or not? if yes, could you please tell me the shortcut key for "Save As File" menu item. Advanced thanks for your help. -Siva On Feb 4, 7:45=A0pm, Siva Prasad <sivamc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > We can save as DataWindow Object into .XML file through "File-> Save > As...

superreview requested: [Bug 418961] "Save Page As" "Text Files" saves file but Downloads window doesn't show completion : [Attachment 305432] v1
Edward Lee (Mardak) <edilee@gmail.com> has asked Christian :Biesinger <cbiesinger@gmx.at> for superreview: Bug 418961: "Save Page As" "Text Files" saves file but Downloads window doesn't show completion https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418961 Attachment 305432: v1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=305432&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Edward Lee (Mardak) <edilee@gmail.com> Similar to what we needed to do for exthandler.. set the NETWORK bit. All places in webbrowserpersist that have a STATE_START ...

superreview granted: [Bug 418961] "Save Page As" "Text Files" saves file but Downloads window doesn't show completion : [Attachment 305432] v1
Christian :Biesinger <cbiesinger@gmail.com> has granted Edward Lee (Mardak) <edilee@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 418961: "Save Page As" "Text Files" saves file but Downloads window doesn't show completion https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418961 Attachment 305432: v1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=305432&action=edit ...

Saving the "File path" string to DB using "File upload"
Hi, I'm using a "File upload" control (<input type="file"/>) to obtain the file path and then save this path to a db.(Not the file itself)I've put this control inside a DetailsView control. The problem is,even if I select a path, by clicking the Insert(or Edit) from DetailsView,nothing will be inserted. How can I make DetailsView to save the file path inside the TextBox of this control? <asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateRows="False"            DataKeyNames="id" DataSourceID="SqlDa...

When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file
Name: Beavis Product: Firefox Summary: When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file Comments: When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file. If you uninstall firefox and re-instal it, then it will work until you re-boot or shut down. After a startup it again will not save an image as using the "save image as" right click function Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Disable File Download prompt "Do you want to open or save this file?"
  I'm using asp.net and everytime I try to open a pdf or a .fdf file I get a windows prompt asking "Do you want to open or save this file?" instead if it just opening in the browser window.    Any help on how to turn this off is appreciated. Thanks Below is code example string fileName = "1.pdf"; Response.Clear(); Response.ClearHeaders(); Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition","inline;filename=" + fileName); Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"; Response.WriteFile(Server.MapPath("~") + "/" + fileName); Response.Flush(); Response.End(); HCHaissam Abdu...

while saving the file "Save as Type" in SaveDialogBox shows "MicrosoftExcelSheet" and "AllFiles", how can i restrict "AllFiles" and show only "MicrosoftExcelSheet" ..
Below is code written for opening XLFile.  HttpContext.Current.Response.Clear();HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" + astr_FileName); HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", abyte_Data.Length.ToString()); HttpContext.Current.Response.ContentType = astr_ContentType; //octet-stream"; or //"application/vnd.ms-excel"; HttpContext.Current.Response.BinaryWrite(abyte_Data);    Udaya.M...

I create the file like this System.IO.File.Create("pallingtest1.txt") but how do I tell it where to save the file?
can anyone help? Why don't you specify the fully qualified path where you want to write the file rather than try and figure out where its going to write it? Jeev~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.  From the MSDN docs: <i>The path parameter is permitted to specify relative or absolute path information. Relative path information is interpreted as relative to the current working directory. To obtain the current working directory, see GetCurrentDirectory.</i>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us...

Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options
Name: Eric Carter Email: mozillafeedback Product: Firefox Summary: Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options Comments: When i click a download link I'm presented with the choice to open that file with a program on my computer, or save it to a location. After that, depending on my configuration I either get a second dialog asking where i want to save that file, or it goes to the default download location. Most of the time i want to save to my default downloads location, but sometime...

Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options #2
Name: Eric Carter Email: mozillafeedback Product: Firefox Summary: Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options Comments: When i click a download link I'm presented with the choice to open that file with a program on my computer, or save it to a location. After that, depending on my configuration I either get a second dialog asking where i want to save that file, or it goes to the default download location. Most of the time i want to save to my default downloads location, but sometime...

"File" to "File$date"
Okay... Thanks for all your answers! From all, I combinded the perfext solution: rename("test.txt", "test" . &heute() . ".txt"); sub heute { return (localtime(time))[3] . (localtime(time))[4] . = ((localtime(time))[5] 1900); } Thanks ;) Andreas -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht----- Von: Sudarshan Raghavan [mailto:sraghav@india.hp.com]=20 Gesendet: Samstag, 14. September 2002 15:21 An: Perl beginners Betreff: Re: AW: Rename "File" to "File$date" On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Sudarshan Raghavan wrote: >=20 > #!/...

File write error on file "acct" in module "GWEACCT"
Getting this on GWIA 6.02 scrolling across the screen. Runs on a Win2ksp3 box. Searching TID's...... JG I'd probably whack most of the subdirs under gwia and let gwia rebuild. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless specifically identified as such. Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Enhance...

Web resources about - How disable save file popup error message: file "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." ; jor - mozilla.support.firefox