History security

Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?
Alec

Alec wrote:
> Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?

Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.

Set a master password to protect your profile:
Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password

or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179
0
Nir
9/22/2006 1:17:12 PM
Nir wrote:
> Alec wrote:
>> Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?
>
> Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.
>
> Set a master password to protect your profile:
> Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password
>
> or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179

As I understand it, the Master Password protects only the passwords,
requiring that the user enter the Master Password before the stored
passwords can be used.

I may be wrong, since I don't use the Master Password, but I don't think
it will have any effect on the history.

The extension,once installed and enabled, will require the user to enter
a password before even opening the profile.

Lee

Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
9/22/2006 2:15:26 PM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Nir wrote:
>> Alec wrote:
>>> Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?
>>
>> Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.
>>
>> Set a master password to protect your profile:
>> Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password
>>
>> or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
>> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179
>
> As I understand it, the Master Password protects only the passwords,
> requiring that the user enter the Master Password before the stored
> passwords can be used.
>
> I may be wrong, since I don't use the Master Password, but I don't think
> it will have any effect on the history.

No, you are right .
> The extension,once installed and enabled, will require the user to enter
> a password before even opening the profile.

although safe mode can disable it :(
also here are some other methods to secure profile folder :
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protect_the_profiles_contents
> Lee

0
Nir
9/22/2006 2:26:20 PM
Nir wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
/snip/

> No, you are right .
>> The extension,once installed and enabled, will require the user to
>> enter a password before even opening the profile.
>>
> although safe mode can disable it :(
> also here are some other methods to secure profile folder :
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protect_the_profiles_contents
>> Lee

As the extension writer noted, it can be easily bypassed.

Lee

Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
9/22/2006 2:40:10 PM
T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/22/2006 9:17 AM:

> Alec wrote:
>> Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?
>
> Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.
>
> Set a master password to protect your profile:
> Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password
>
> or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179

That master password is only for the passwords file.  There is an
extension that can provide Profile password protection. This URL is the
page with more info for the extension to Tbird. Site has several other
addins including a Mail Mbox import/export tool for mail archiving.

https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.
Ron K. wrote:
> T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/22/2006 9:17 AM:
>
>> Alec wrote:
>>> Is there a way to password-protect browsing history?
>>
>> Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.
>>
>> Set a master password to protect your profile:
>> Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password
>>
>> or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
>> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179
>
> That master password is only for the passwords file.  There is an
> extension that can provide Profile password protection. This URL is the
> page with more info for the extension to Tbird. Site has several other
> addins including a Mail Mbox import/export tool for mail archiving.
>
> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html

So there's no way to password protect just history?
Alec
9/22/2006 9:41:47 PM
_Alec_ spoke thusly on 22/09/2006 5:41 PM:
> Ron K. wrote:
>
>> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html
>
> So there's no way to password protect just history?

Exclusively? No.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Alec wrote:
> Ron K. wrote:
>> T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/22/2006 9:17 AM:

>>> Browsing History is a part of Firefox profile.
>>>
>>> Set a master password to protect your profile:
>>> Goto Tools>Options>Privacy>Password>Set Master Password
>>>
>>> or use this extension "ProfilePassword 0.3.1" :
>>> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2179
>>
>> That master password is only for the passwords file.  There is an
>> extension that can provide Profile password protection. This URL is
>> the page with more info for the extension to Tbird. Site has several
>> other addins including a Mail Mbox import/export tool for mail archiving.
>>
>> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html
>>

> So there's no way to password protect just history?

You could set 'Remember visited pages' to 0 days to hide browsing history.

--
100% money back guarantee!
If at any time you are dissatisfied with the performance of your Mozilla
clay wrote:
> Alec wrote:
>> Ron K. wrote:
>>> T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/22/2006 9:17 AM:

>>> That master password is only for the passwords file.  There is an
>>> extension that can provide Profile password protection. This URL is
>>> the page with more info for the extension to Tbird. Site has several
>>> other addins including a Mail Mbox import/export tool for mail
>>> archiving.
>>>
>>> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/profilepassword-en.html
>>>

>> So there's no way to password protect just history?
>
> You could set 'Remember visited pages' to 0 days to hide browsing history.

That doesn't hide them, it simply doesn't remember them. I want to
access history, but securely.
Alec

Password Security for Firefox (Can future version of Firefox pass all 21 security tests?)
Name: HY Tan Email: elfelleatgmaildotcom Product: Shiretoko Summary: Password Security for Firefox (Can future version of Firefox pass all 21 security tests?) Comments: http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE7-vs-Chrome-1-0-vs-Opera-9-62-vs-Firefox-3-0-4-vs-Safari-3-2-vs-Password-Security-100103.shtml Above link is not based on 3.1b2 results but hope firefox can pass all security tests to make it the leading secure browser. Speed is one area but Security is another key area where it will attract more people to switch to most secure browsers with the less loopholes :) Browser De...

full DOD level deletion of browsing history for security and company use of Firefox
Name: Michael Davis Email: davismikedatyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: full DOD level deletion of browsing history for security and company use of Firefox Comments: What happened to the ability to use third party erase tools for full DOD level deletion of browsing history for security and company use of Firefox? In previous versions the browse temp files were located in one place and could be easily deleted with effective tools for PC security. This no longer is the case. Perhaps a bulletin on how to delete all browsing history is in order (the clear private d...

Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions.
Name: Poul Wittig Email: poulwittigatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions. Comments: I own a laptop, and there are many situations in which a classmate/parent/whatever wish to borrow my computer to either check there email, calender or simply just surf the web. Now it would be great if there was an option to start Firefox with no personal information such as Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History...

Does EAServer support Web service Security (ws-security)?
I have been searching through documentation and newsgroups and the entire web with no luck finding the answer to this question. I know that EAServer uses Apache AXIS to implement webservices. I was wondering if it also included WSS4J to implment ws-security or not? thx Casey Loveland Comsys IT Partners casey.loveland@earthlink.net wrote... > I have been searching through documentation and newsgroups and the entire > web with no luck finding the answer to this question. > I know that EAServer uses Apache AXIS to implement webservices. I was > wondering if it...

security too secure

when is secure, secure?

About Firefox security.
Hello Guys, My name is Carlos Alberto=85 I=92m working at the Bolsa de Valores = (Stock Exchange, http://www.bmv.com.mx ) of M=E9xico in some software that is = going to be used for the non repudiation of the exchange instructions. My team has put some pressure under supporting Firefox in our portal. = But this time that got us into a problem, it seems that the PKCS #7 = signature is different from Firefox than from IE and we haven=B4t being able to = detect how is it different (rather than the most obvious places) for us to tweak = our process. We are trying to validate t...

History is not history
Name: Dr J R Stockton Product: Firefox Summary: History is not history Comments: Firefox 3.6.8 (others presumed likewise) has a menu item History". But that does not show a history; rather, it seems to give a Most Recently Used list. (1) If it is an MRU list, it should be named correspondingly. (2) A true History, with dates and times, would be much more useful - especially combined with a kill list for sites visited too frequently. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.126 Safari/533...

Firefox history
Last week I downloaded the latest version of Firefox (v1.0). Before that I was using version 0.9x. One of the differences I have seen is in the history side bar. When I open my history bar (ctrl+H), I am unable to select multiple entries, for example, by shift clicking. In the old version I could multi-select entries and press delete on the ones that I dont need any more. This doesnt seem to work in version 1.0. Has anyone else observed this? Is there a solution? -- Fahd Shariff http://www.fahdshariff.cjb.net "Let the code do the talking..." ...

FIREFOX history
Sorry ! ! ! I asked the history question and meant Firefox...Not TB. Again......sorry. So here goes again. Using the latest FIREFOX, one of the options is to clear personal data. I have attempted to delete web 'history' by checking the appropriate box and selecting clear data. The web site history is not cleared. Any ideas ? ? Thanks Zork wrote: > Sorry ! ! ! I asked the history question and meant Firefox...Not TB. > Again......sorry. So here goes again. > Using the latest FIREFOX, one of the options is to clear personal data. > I have attempted to del...

Once more and Firefox is history.....
Name: Dennis Kochan Email: dgk196atptddotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Once more and Firefox is history..... Comments: Once again, firefox updated itself and all of my bookmarks have disappeared. This is something like the third time in as many months! IF THIS HAPPENS ONE MORE TIME FIREFOX IS HISTORY ON MY COMPUTER! I'll spend the day trying to build it back up, it took weeks last time. The really sad part is, I don't see any changes or additional fuctions. In short, all this headache for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dennis Browser Details: Mozill...

Firefox security
Name: Leslie Howard Email: les972atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox security Comments: I am a member of Facebook and have noticed that whenever I get an e mail on Firefox from someone new Facebook then asks me if I want to add that person as a friend. I do not want Facebook to know who e mails me and I think that it is a breach of my security. How do I stop this anomaly happening or is it an agreement that Firefox have made with Facebook, to intercept my e mails Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/200...

How secure is secure?

Firefox History
Name: John Malkavia Email: fatla00atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox History Comments: I just wanted to say that Firefox is an awesome web browser but I feel that when you delete something in the history (ctrl + h) it should also be deleted in the history drop down bar from the top. I couldn't find a place to input suggestions so I just sent it here. Thanks. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 ...

Web resources about - History security - mozilla.support.firefox

Krebs on Security
The House Financial Services Committee is slated to hold a hearing this Friday on the impact of cyber heists against small- to mid-sized businesses. ...

Security Middle East - Latest news from the Middle East.
Security Middle East is a news portal for the entire security industry, focussed specifically on latest security news from the Middle East. Security ...

Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com
IT Security News and Information Security News, Cyber Security, Network Security, Enterprise Security Threats, Cybercrime News and more. Information ...

Committee on National Security Systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National Security Telecommunications and Information Systems Security Committee (NSTISSC) was established under National Security Directive ...

Poll finds Tony Abbott's assumed security strength a misconception
Tony Abbott's principal perceived strength over Malcolm Turnbull &ndash; his uncompromising approach to national security &ndash; is an illusion, ...

Hello Barbie: Wi-fi-enabled doll labelled a bedroom security risk
Security experts warn the new Hello Barbie doll is a disaster waiting to happen.

Security breaches don't lead to a change in IT policy
... by training company QA , reveals that eight out of ten (81 percent) UK IT decision makers experienced some sort of data or cyber security breach ...

Security flaw can expose your real IP address when using a VPN
... activity to enhance privacy protection. However, a discovery has revealed that VPN services aren’t as secure as you’d think, as a huge security ...

Defending Our Homeland: The New Normal In Personal And Collective Security
This is the first installment of a 10 part series from Pulse O2DA Firearms Training

This crowdfunded router updates its own security
It's really, really, really hard to make a router sound exciting, but the folks behind the Turris Omnia are betting the device's focus on keeping ...