Help with Firefox Help

Us there a way to get useful information?

I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=remove%20disabled%20firefox%20plugins&pbx=1&oq=remove%20disabled%20fi&aq=2&aqi=g3g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=sc&gs_upl=433l4710l0l7655l22l14l2l5l5l0l242l2006l3.9.2l21l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b12f5e501efbd0e5&biw=1083&bih=727&pf=p&pdl=300

--
Peter Taylor
0
On 11-10-07 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> Us there a way to get useful information?
>
> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......

Are you talking about support.mozilla.com? If so, I think the problem
that people use different terminology for different things. Going to
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search?q_tags=desktop&product=desktop&q=remove+disabled+plugin>,
the first result has instructions on how to uninstall a plugin.
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting%20plugins#w_manually-uninstalling-a-plugin>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 10/7/2011 2:57 PM, Peter Taylor wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 09:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> Us there a way to get useful information?
>>
>> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
>> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
>> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......
>>

> http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=remove%20disabled%20firefox%20plugins&pbx=1&oq=remove%20disabled%20fi&aq=2&aqi=g3g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=sc&gs_upl=433l4710l0l7655l22l14l2l5l5l0l242l2006l3.9.2l21l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b12f5e501efbd0e5&biw=1083&bih=727&pf=p&pdl=300

OK, that brought up at least one that refers to uninstall buttons that I
can not find.

Nothing about removing disabled plugins.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 8:08:30 PM
On 10/7/2011 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> Us there a way to get useful information?
>
> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......

By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?

Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
anything near Firefox.

I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
from memory.  :-)

Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while.  :-)

Good luck
--

   David
0
On 10/7/2011 2:58 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-10-07 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> Us there a way to get useful information?
>>
>> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
>> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
>> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......
>
> Are you talking about support.mozilla.com?

I'm talking about "Help" at the top of the window.

If so, I think the problem
> that people use different terminology for different things. Going to
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search?q_tags=desktop&product=desktop&q=remove+disabled+plugin>,
> the first result has instructions on how to uninstall a plugin.

When I use that URL I get (what appears to be) the same 254 items I've
already mentioned elsewhere.  (I find no "Uninstall" buttons.)

> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting%20plugins#w_manually-uninstalling-a-plugin>

I did part of that yesterday but got cold feet.  I'll see if I can get
it handled.  And if I don't, I've still got IE, I guess.

Thanks.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 8:15:52 PM
On 10/7/2011 3:10 PM, David wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> Us there a way to get useful information?
>>
>> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
>> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
>> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......
>

> By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?

I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
->Tools->Add-ons=>Plugins, off which on this machine includes Quicktime
and Shockwave Flash

> Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
> anything near Firefox.
>
> I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
> from memory. :-)
>
> Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
> be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
> get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
> name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
> think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
> something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while. :-)

I didn't think about OS level installations.

And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.

But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.

> Good luck

Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 8:38:54 PM
On 10/7/2011 3:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 3:10 PM, David wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>>> Us there a way to get useful information?
>>>
>>> I searched for ->remove disabled plugin<- and got 254 responses, not one
>>> of which (of the 50 or so I have checked) includes the word "remove: in
>>> any context, many make no mention of "disabled" .......
>>

>> By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?
>
> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
> ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins, of which on this machine includes Quicktime
> and Shockwave Flash
>>
>> Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
>> anything near Firefox.
>>
>> I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
>> from memory. :-)
>>
>> Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
>> be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
>> get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
>> name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
>> think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
>> something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while. :-)
>
> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>
> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>
> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.
>
>> Good luck
>
> Thanks

I am now coming to the conclusion that nobody (e.g. about:plugins) knows
about this debris except ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins

I think I'll give up until I delete FF.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 9:07:14 PM
On 10/7/2011 5:07 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 3:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

>>> By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?
>>
>> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
>> ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins, of which on this machine includes Quicktime
>> and Shockwave Flash
>>>
>>> Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
>>> anything near Firefox.
>>>
>>> I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
>>> from memory. :-)
>>>
>>> Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
>>> be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
>>> get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
>>> name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
>>> think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
>>> something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while. :-)
>>
>> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>>
>> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>>
>> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.
>>
>>> Good luck
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I am now coming to the conclusion that nobody (e.g. about:plugins) knows
> about this debris except ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins
>
> I think I'll give up until I delete FF.

For what it's worth, Microsoft DRM plug-in was installed as part of
Windows Media Player.  To find out how to uninstall it without
uninstalling Windows Media Player, you would have to contact Microsoft.
Dave Pyles
0
Dave
10/7/2011 9:27:15 PM
On 10/7/2011 4:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 3:10 PM, David wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>>

>> By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?
>
> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
> ->Tools->Add-ons=>Plugins, off which on this machine includes Quicktime
> and Shockwave Flash
>>
>> Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
>> anything near Firefox.
>>
>> I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
>> from memory. :-)
>>
>> Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
>> be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
>> get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
>> name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
>> think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
>> something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while. :-)
>
> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>
> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>
> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.

Google is your friend  :-)  5th hit.

"WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?"

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=418289>

And the names of 'the others' are?
--

   David
0
On 10/7/2011 4:27 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

> For what it's worth, Microsoft DRM plug-in was installed as part of
> Windows Media Player. To find out how to uninstall it without
> uninstalling Windows Media Player, you would have to contact Microsoft.
> Dave Pyles

That is good to know.  Thanks for the info.  I'll pass on the "contact
Microsoft"  -- no entertainment value there at all.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 9:33:50 PM
On 10/7/2011 5:07 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 3:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 3:10 PM, David wrote:
>>
>> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
>> ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins, of which on this machine includes Quicktime
>> and Shockwave Flash
>>
>> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>>
>> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>>
>> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.
>>

>> Thanks
>
> I am now coming to the conclusion that nobody (e.g. about:plugins) knows
> about this debris except ->Tools->Add-ons;>Plugins
>
> I think I'll give up until I delete FF.

Deleting (uninstalling) Firefox won't solve this unless you also find
and delete your profile. Careful here that will trash your passwords,
extensions, and bookmarks.

Is it that you don't want 'some plugin' to 'do something' in Firefox?

Options > Applications > find the 'Content Type' > select/change the
'action'.

This won't remove the plugin but Firefox will no longer use it.
--

   David
0
On 10/7/2011 4:30 PM, David wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 3:10 PM, David wrote:
>>> On 10/7/2011 3:42 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>>>

>>> By plugins do you mean things like 'Flash' and 'Quicktime"?
>>
>> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
>> ->Tools->Add-ons=>Plugins, off which on this machine includes Quicktime
>> and Shockwave Flash
>>>
>>> Those actually install to 'where ever they want to' and not, normally to
>>> anything near Firefox.
>>>
>>> I see that you're on XP so bear with me it has been a while. This is all
>>> from memory. :-)
>>>
>>> Control Panel > (I think the name is) Add or Remove Programs. It should
>>> be near the top and to the left side of the explorer window. You should
>>> get an alphabetical list of installed programs. Look for the plugin by
>>> name and highlight it (mouse click it) then click the button (again i
>>> think) that says remove. It might that the admins password. It might ask
>>> something like 'Are you sure?' As I said - it has been a while. :-)
>>
>> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>>
>> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>>
>> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.
>

> Google is your friend :-) 5th hit.
>
> "WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?"
>
> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=418289>

I guess I forgot to mention that the "problems" are no listed in
about:plugins.

> And the names of 'the others' are?

not on any listing I can find except ->Tools->Add-Ons->Plugins (Sorry, I
meant to mention that.)

Two versions of the DRM thing, Mozilla ActiveX, RealJukebox, two
RealPlayer things, Windows Media Player, and Windows Presentation
Foundation.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 10:18:18 PM
On 10/7/2011 4:34 PM, David wrote:

> Deleting (uninstalling) Firefox won't solve this unless you also find
> and delete your profile. Careful here that will trash your passwords,
> extensions, and bookmarks.

When I finally give up, I won't care.

> Is it that you don't want 'some plugin' to 'do something' in Firefox?

I mostly want FF to go back to an operating speed that will let me do
what I want to do.  Cleaning up dead stuff seemed like a good idea at
one point.

> Options > Applications > find the 'Content Type' > select/change the
> 'action'.
>
> This won't remove the plugin but Firefox will no longer use it.

After waiting a very long time for it to populate, I gave up--that is
not going to be useful.

[BTW, as I was typing that last graph I got one of those busy script
messages on top of the unpopulated window "A script on this page....."
and listing a script resource (I don't remember ever seeing that
before--I may need to apologize for recent rants that that info should
be provided).  This one says (I wish the clipboard thing worked):
Script:  resource:///components/nsHandlerService.js:432}

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/7/2011 10:30:37 PM
On 10/07/2011 03:18 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:30 PM, David wrote:

>>> I mean things like what gets listed when I chase
>>> ->Tools->Add-ons=>Plugins, off which on this machine includes Quicktime
>>> and Shockwave Flash

>>> I didn't think about OS level installations.
>>>
>>> And indeed, some of the functional Plugins are listed there.
>>>
>>> But the disabled ones are not, e. g. Microsoft DRM and others.
>>

>> Google is your friend :-) 5th hit.
>>
>> "WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?"
>>
>> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=418289>
>
> I guess I forgot to mention that the "problems" are no listed in
> about:plugins.
>
>> And the names of 'the others' are?
>
> not on any listing I can find except ->Tools->Add-Ons->Plugins (Sorry, I
> meant to mention that.)
>
> Two versions of the DRM thing, Mozilla ActiveX, RealJukebox, two
> RealPlayer things, Windows Media Player, and Windows Presentation
> Foundation.

look in the folder mozilla/plugins and see if they are there - don't
know where that folder is in windows but its somewhere.
Then, theres Firefox/plugins.
You may delete them from there and sit back to see what happens -
shouldn't be too much, if there is no call for them.
0
goodwin
10/7/2011 10:46:48 PM
On 10/7/2011 6:18 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:30 PM, David wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 4:38 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Google is your friend :-) 5th hit.
>>
>> "WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?"
>>
>> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=418289>
>
> I guess I forgot to mention that the "problems" are no listed in
> about:plugins.
>
>> And the names of 'the others' are?
>
> not on any listing I can find except ->Tools->Add-Ons->Plugins (Sorry, I
> meant to mention that.)
>
> Two versions of the DRM thing, Mozilla ActiveX, RealJukebox, two
> RealPlayer things, Windows Media Player, and Windows Presentation
> Foundation.

First. None of these plugins just installed themselves. You, or someone
using your computer, had to do that. Some install online after you
agree. Most of them you (someone) had to download it and then install it.

"the DRM thing" belongs to Windows Media Player. It plays videos and
sounds files.

Digital rights management means that has to do with copy protection.
--------

"Mozilla ActiveX Control"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_ActiveX_Control"

---------
"RealJukebox"

Came from Realplayer and you had to install that and it should be listed
in the control panel I mentioned. A Realplayer 'something'. If not is
*used to install to* a folder name realplayer. In Program Files. Long
time ago note sure today.

----------

"Windows Media Player"

Again part of Windows. Plays videos and music.

_________

"Windows Presentation Foundation"

Is also a part of Windows. The .NET feature which I don't thin that you
can remove from Windows but it odd to see it in Firefox. I have the .NET
installed and I don't have that listed as a plugin.

I do not know of any, there could be some for sure, plugin that just
'installs itself' without you saying 'ok' at some time. Maybe a site
needs it to function, offers it, and you accept. Or you install
something that actually is a plugin. For example 'Flash".

To repeat. None of these just 'happen' you had to agree to them before
they were installed.

--

   David
0
On 10/7/2011 6:30 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:34 PM, David wrote:
>
>> Deleting (uninstalling) Firefox won't solve this unless you also find
>> and delete your profile. Careful here that will trash your passwords,
>> extensions, and bookmarks.
>
> When I finally give up, I won't care.
>
>> Is it that you don't want 'some plugin' to 'do something' in Firefox?
>
> I mostly want FF to go back to an operating speed that will let me do
> what I want to do. Cleaning up dead stuff seemed like a good idea at one
> point.
>>
>> Options > Applications > find the 'Content Type' > select/change the
>> 'action'.
>>
>> This won't remove the plugin but Firefox will no longer use it.
>
> After waiting a very long time for it to populate, I gave up--that is
> not going to be useful.
>
> [BTW, as I was typing that last graph I got one of those busy script
> messages on top of the unpopulated window "A script on this page....."
> and listing a script resource (I don't remember ever seeing that
> before--I may need to apologize for recent rants that that info should
> be provided). This one says (I wish the clipboard thing worked): Script:
> resource:///components/nsHandlerService.js:432}

:-)  The script warning is a bad script on the page you were trying to
go to.

Two questions. More to follow.  :-)

When was the last time you ran chkdisk?

When was the last time that you defraged your harddrive?

And. If you feel uncomfortable here I would be willing to help you off
list. As long as you agree to post your success to the list. Not for my
ego but for someone in the future that might find this useful.

--

   David
0
On 10/7/2011 6:22 PM, David wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 6:30 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 4:34 PM, David wrote:
>>
>>> Deleting (uninstalling) Firefox won't solve this unless you also find
>>> and delete your profile. Careful here that will trash your passwords,
>>> extensions, and bookmarks.
>>
>> When I finally give up, I won't care.
>>
>>> Is it that you don't want 'some plugin' to 'do something' in Firefox?
>>
>> I mostly want FF to go back to an operating speed that will let me do
>> what I want to do. Cleaning up dead stuff seemed like a good idea at one
>> point.
>>>
>>> Options > Applications > find the 'Content Type' > select/change the
>>> 'action'.
>>>
>>> This won't remove the plugin but Firefox will no longer use it.
>>
>> After waiting a very long time for it to populate, I gave up--that is
>> not going to be useful.
>>
>> [BTW, as I was typing that last graph I got one of those busy script
>> messages on top of the unpopulated window "A script on this page....."
>> and listing a script resource (I don't remember ever seeing that
>> before--I may need to apologize for recent rants that that info should
>> be provided). This one says (I wish the clipboard thing worked): Script:
>> resource:///components/nsHandlerService.js:432}
>
> :-) The script warning is a bad script on the page you were trying to go
> to.

It locked up the contact-type screen.

> Two questions. More to follow. :-)
>
> When was the last time you ran chkdisk?

Probably a year ago.

> When was the last time that you defraged your harddrive?

About the same.  Is there something about 7 that would disclose a
problem?  (That is what changed at the time the onset of the current
unpleasantness.

Chkdsk did find some errors, I'll go see what that is about.

> And. If you feel uncomfortable here I would be willing to help you off
> list. As long as you agree to post your success to the list. Not for my
> ego but for someone in the future that might find this useful.

I will advise, if able.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 12:03:36 AM
On 10/7/2011 7:03 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

>> When was the last time you ran chkdisk?
>
> Probably a year ago.
>
>> When was the last time that you defraged your harddrive?
>
> About the same. Is there something about 7 that would disclose a
> problem? (That is what changed at the time the onset of the current
> unpleasantness.
>
> Chkdsk did find some errors, I'll go see what that is about.

I don't know what chkdsk was talking about--I ran it as part of a
boot--no errors reported.

Defrag said it was not necessary--did it any way.

No discernible difference in long load times.

This exercise may have been an interesting head-fake.
--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 1:18:17 AM
On 10/7/2011 6:12 PM, David wrote:

> First. None of these plugins just installed themselves. You, or someone
> using your computer, had to do that. Some install online after you
> agree. Most of them you (someone) had to download it and then install it.

No doubt--I'm only peripherally interested in where they came from,

> "the DRM thing" belongs to Windows Media Player. It plays videos and
> sounds files.

Several copies are disabled--how do I remov them?

> "Mozilla ActiveX Control"
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_ActiveX_Control"
>
> ---------
> "RealJukebox"
>
> Came from Realplayer and you had to install that and it should be listed
> in the control panel I mentioned. A Realplayer 'something'. If not is
> *used to install to* a folder name realplayer. In Program Files. Long
> time ago note sure today.

OK--there is a version installed--how do I delete the disabled version?

> ----------
>
> "Windows Media Player"
>
> Again part of Windows. Plays videos and music.
>
> _________
>
> "Windows Presentation Foundation"
>
> Is also a part of Windows. The .NET feature which I don't thin that you
> can remove from Windows but it odd to see it in Firefox. I have the .NET
> installed and I don't have that listed as a plugin.
>
> I do not know of any, there could be some for sure, plugin that just
> 'installs itself' without you saying 'ok' at some time. Maybe a site
> needs it to function, offers it, and you accept. Or you install
> something that actually is a plugin. For example 'Flash".

Please note again, the ones I am trying to delete are currently (and for
a long time, I guess, disabled.

> To repeat. None of these just 'happen' you had to agree to them before
> they were installed.

I repeat.  I know that, never doubted that, don't currently care.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 1:31:08 AM
On 10/08/2011 03:31 AM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 6:12 PM, David wrote:
>
>> First. None of these plugins just installed themselves. You, or someone
>> using your computer, had to do that. Some install online after you
>> agree. Most of them you (someone) had to download it and then install it.
>
> No doubt--I'm only peripherally interested in where they came from,
>
>> "the DRM thing" belongs to Windows Media Player. It plays videos and
>> sounds files.
>
> Several copies are disabled--how do I remov them?
>
>> "Mozilla ActiveX Control"
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_ActiveX_Control"
>>
>> ---------
>> "RealJukebox"
>>
>> Came from Realplayer and you had to install that and it should be listed
>> in the control panel I mentioned. A Realplayer 'something'. If not is
>> *used to install to* a folder name realplayer. In Program Files. Long
>> time ago note sure today.
>
> OK--there is a version installed--how do I delete the disabled version?
>

>> ----------
>>
>> "Windows Media Player"
>>
>> Again part of Windows. Plays videos and music.
>>
>> _________
>>
>> "Windows Presentation Foundation"
>>
>> Is also a part of Windows. The .NET feature which I don't thin that you
>> can remove from Windows but it odd to see it in Firefox. I have the .NET
>> installed and I don't have that listed as a plugin.
>>
>> I do not know of any, there could be some for sure, plugin that just
>> 'installs itself' without you saying 'ok' at some time. Maybe a site
>> needs it to function, offers it, and you accept. Or you install
>> something that actually is a plugin. For example 'Flash".
>
> Please note again, the ones I am trying to delete are currently (and for
> a long time, I guess, disabled.
>

>> To repeat. None of these just 'happen' you had to agree to them before
>> they were installed.
>
> I repeat. I know that, never doubted that, don't currently care.

Had you started to reinstall Windows when you first posted this, you
would be done by now.

--
Peter Taylor
0
On 10/7/2011 9:31 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 6:12 PM, David wrote:
>
>> First. None of these plugins just installed themselves. You, or someone
>> using your computer, had to do that. Some install online after you
>> agree. Most of them you (someone) had to download it and then install it.
>
> No doubt--I'm only peripherally interested in where they came from,

"peripherally"  Wow. Big words said to dumb old guy.  :-)

As i said you had to install then after saying yes. Google the name works.

>> "the DRM thing" belongs to Windows Media Player. It plays videos and
>> sounds files.
>
> Several copies are disabled--how do I remov them?

Here my *guess* would be Windows Registry errors cause by crappy program
on. This *might* help. Careful here.

>> "Mozilla ActiveX Control"
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_ActiveX_Control"
>>
>> ---------
>> "RealJukebox"
>>
>> Came from Realplayer and you had to install that and it should be listed
>> in the control panel I mentioned. A Realplayer 'something'. If not is
>> *used to install to* a folder name realplayer. In Program Files. Long
>> time ago note sure today.
>
> OK--there is a version installed--how do I delete the disabled version?
>

>> ----------
>>
>> "Windows Media Player"
>>
>> Again part of Windows. Plays videos and music.
>>
>> _________
>>
>> "Windows Presentation Foundation"
>>
>> Is also a part of Windows. The .NET feature which I don't thin that you
>> can remove from Windows but it odd to see it in Firefox. I have the .NET
>> installed and I don't have that listed as a plugin.
>>
>> I do not know of any, there could be some for sure, plugin that just
>> 'installs itself' without you saying 'ok' at some time. Maybe a site
>> needs it to function, offers it, and you accept. Or you install
>> something that actually is a plugin. For example 'Flash".
>
> Please note again, the ones I am trying to delete are currently (and for
> a long time, I guess, disabled.
>

>> To repeat. None of these just 'happen' you had to agree to them before
>> they were installed.
>
> I repeat. I know that, never doubted that, don't currently care.

--

   David
0
David
10/8/2011 12:53:14 PM
On 10/7/11 1:58 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> If so, I think the problem
> that people use different terminology for different things.

*Exactly* why Mozilla needs real manuals you can download.

No matter where or what I search, I never seem to be able to find
anything, because I search and can't find anything, even Google proves
problematic for me.  :-(

Sorry for the O.T.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1
Thunderbird 7.0.1
LibreOffice 3.3.3
0
Ken
10/8/2011 2:37:32 PM
On 10/7/2011 6:30 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 4:34 PM, David wrote:
>
>> I mostly want FF to go back to an operating speed that will let me do
> what I want to do. Cleaning up dead stuff seemed like a good idea at one
> point.

It's sometimes tedious to rebuild your browser just the way you like it,
but you might try creating a new profile and adding back the
customizable items (add-ons and plug-ins) you want.  If you don't care
about saved passwords, and don't want to go on a search and rescue
mission to manually locate your bookmarks file in your old profile, you
can just export your existing bookmarks to a file and import them into
your new profile.  When you are satisfied with the content of your new
profile, delete the old one.  You might also want to experiment with
mozbackup and try just backing up selective items from the mozbackup
checkbox choice list and then "restoring" that selective backup into a
clean new profile.

P.S. Are you sure that IE is operating significantly faster than your
existing FF setup?  If IE is also sluggish, you might consider testing
your throughput (upload/download speeds) compared to what you are paying
for.  If you aren't getting close to what you should have, you might
need to tweak your TCP/IP settings or change the IP addresses of the DNS
servers you're using, or both.

0
Peter
10/8/2011 3:12:03 PM
On 10/8/2011 7:53 AM, David wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 9:31 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 6:12 PM, David wrote:
>>
>>> First. None of these plugins just installed themselves. You, or someone
>>> using your computer, had to do that. Some install online after you
>>> agree. Most of them you (someone) had to download it and then install
>>> it.
>>
>> No doubt--I'm only peripherally interested in where they came from,
>

> "peripherally" Wow. Big words said to dumb old guy. :-)

Interesting how the censorship works here.

> As i said you had to install then after saying yes. Google the name works.
>

>>> "the DRM thing" belongs to Windows Media Player. It plays videos and
>>> sounds files.
>>
>> Several copies are disabled--how do I remove them?
>

> Here my *guess* would be Windows Registry errors cause by crappy program
> on. This *might* help. Careful here.

Thanks.  I've been wondering about that.  I am fearful of dinking with
the registry although I sometimes that is over-hyped.  Is there a
favored registry tool among the folks here?

>>> "Mozilla ActiveX Control"
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_ActiveX_Control"
>>>
>>> ---------
>>> "RealJukebox"
>>>
>>> Came from Realplayer and you had to install that and it should be listed
>>> in the control panel I mentioned. A Realplayer 'something'. If not is
>>> *used to install to* a folder name realplayer. In Program Files. Long
>>> time ago note sure today.
>>
>> OK--there is a version installed--how do I delete the disabled version?

How do I delete the disabled version?

>>> ----------
>>>
>>> "Windows Media Player"
>>>
>>> Again part of Windows. Plays videos and music.

Again how do I delete the disabled version?

>>> _________
>>>
>>> "Windows Presentation Foundation"
>>>
>>> Is also a part of Windows. The .NET feature which I don't thin that you
>>> can remove from Windows but it odd to see it in Firefox. I have the .NET
>>> installed and I don't have that listed as a plugin.
>>>
>>> I do not know of any, there could be some for sure, plugin that just
>>> 'installs itself' without you saying 'ok' at some time. Maybe a site
>>> needs it to function, offers it, and you accept. Or you install
>>> something that actually is a plugin. For example 'Flash".
>>
>> Please note again, the ones I am trying to delete are currently (and for
>> a long time, I guess, disabled.
>>

>>> To repeat. None of these just 'happen' you had to agree to them before
>>> they were installed.
>>
>> I repeat. I know that, never doubted that, don't currently care.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 4:26:44 PM
On 10/8/2011 10:12 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 10/7/2011 6:30 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 4:34 PM, David wrote:
>>
>>> I mostly want FF to go back to an operating speed that will let me do
>> what I want to do. Cleaning up dead stuff seemed like a good idea at one
>> point.
>>>

> It's sometimes tedious to rebuild your browser just the way you like it,
> but you might try creating a new profile and adding back the
> customizable items (add-ons and plug-ins) you want. If you don't care
> about saved passwords, and don't want to go on a search and rescue
> mission to manually locate your bookmarks file in your old profile, you
> can just export your existing bookmarks to a file and import them into
> your new profile. When you are satisfied with the content of your new
> profile, delete the old one. You might also want to experiment with
> mozbackup and try just backing up selective items from the mozbackup
> checkbox choice list and then "restoring" that selective backup into a
> clean new profile.
>
> P.S. Are you sure that IE is operating significantly faster than your
> existing FF setup? If IE is also sluggish, you might consider testing
> your throughput (upload/download speeds) compared to what you are paying
> for. If you aren't getting close to what you should have, you might need
> to tweak your TCP/IP settings or change the IP addresses of the DNS
> servers you're using, or both.

It may come to that.  Thanks.
--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 4:29:12 PM
Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/8/2011 9:37 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
>> On 10/7/11 1:58 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> If so, I think the problem
>>> that people use different terminology for different things.
>>
>> *Exactly* why Mozilla needs real manuals you can download.
>>
>> No matter where or what I search, I never seem to be able to find
>> anything, because I search and can't find anything, even Google proves
>> problematic for me. :-(
>
> Amen.
>
>> Sorry for the O.T.
>
> I don't think it is Off Topic, is is Old Testament.

Get Involved

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/community/

--

SeaMonkey 2.6a2 on openSUSE 11.3 Linux
0
On 10/8/11 10:42 AM, WLS wrote:
> Get Involved

I have thought about it, but my interest would be in documentation, such
as a manual.

If I were to do so, it wouldn't be for Mozilla, it would be with The
Document Foundation, aka LibreOffice, a version of Open Office.  They,
at least, are producing manuals.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1
Thunderbird 7.0.1
LibreOffice 3.3.3
0
Ken
10/8/2011 5:41:28 PM
Ken Springer wrote:
> On 10/8/11 10:42 AM, WLS wrote:
>> Get Involved
>
> I have thought about it, but my interest would be in documentation, such
> as a manual.
>
> If I were to do so, it wouldn't be for Mozilla, it would be with The
> Document Foundation, aka LibreOffice, a version of Open Office. They, at
> least, are producing manuals.

I guess our views differ. I feel the Getting Started link under Help is
a good starting point.

--

SeaMonkey 2.6a2 on openSUSE 11.3 Linux
0
WLS
10/8/2011 6:20:09 PM
On 10/8/2011 12:42 PM, WLS wrote:
> Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>> On 10/8/2011 9:37 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
>>
>> Amen.
>>

>> I don't think it is Off Topic, is is Old Testament.
>>

> Get Involved
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/community/

Excellent suggestion.

--

   David
0
On 10/08/2011 06:26 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/8/2011 7:53 AM, David wrote:

>>> No doubt--I'm only peripherally interested in where they came from,
>>

>> "peripherally" Wow. Big words said to dumb old guy. :-)
>

> Interesting how the censorship works here.
>>
>> As i said you had to install then after saying yes. Google the name
>> works.

>>> Several copies are disabled--how do I remove them?
>>

>> Here my *guess* would be Windows Registry errors cause by crappy program
>> on. This *might* help. Careful here.
>
> Thanks. I've been wondering about that. I am fearful of dinking with the
> registry although I sometimes that is over-hyped. Is there a favored
> registry tool among the folks here?

Regedit.

>>> OK--there is a version installed--how do I delete the disabled version?
>
> How do I delete the disabled version?

Uninstall Realplayer, or reinstall it, and hope you get a chance to
uncheck RealJukebox.

> Again how do I delete the disabled version?

Uninstall Windows.

>>> Please note again, the ones I am trying to delete are currently (and for
>>> a long time, I guess, disabled.

>>> I repeat. I know that, never doubted that, don't currently care.

Repeat, uninstall Windows.
0
dillinger
10/8/2011 6:22:55 PM
On 10/8/2011 12:26 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/8/2011 7:53 AM, David wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 9:31 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
>>

>> "peripherally" Wow. Big words said to dumb old guy. :-)
>

> Interesting how the censorship works here.
>>
>> As i said you had to install then after saying yes. Google the name
>> works.
>>

>> Here my *guess* would be Windows Registry errors cause by crappy program
>> on. This *might* help. Careful here.
>
> Thanks. I've been wondering about that. I am fearful of dinking with the
> registry although I sometimes that is over-hyped. Is there a favored
> registry tool among the folks here?

The Windows Registry can be a dangerous place to 'play' but here is a
harmless, and fre to use,  program

"CCleaner

<http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER>

> How do I delete the disabled version?

It could be listed in the Control Panel that I mentioned before. And
(this is XP 32bit one hardrdrive) in C:\Program Files\<the name of the
application. For example for Realplayer it *might* be C:\Program
Files\Realplayer. Inside that folder *might* be (should be) an
executable named uninstall,exe which does that.  :-)

> Again how do I delete the disabled version?

--

   David
0
David
10/8/2011 6:29:58 PM
On 10/8/2011 1:41 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 10/8/11 10:42 AM, WLS wrote:
>> Get Involved
>
> I have thought about it, but my interest would be in documentation, such
> as a manual.
>
> If I were to do so, it wouldn't be for Mozilla, it would be with The
> Document Foundation, aka LibreOffice, a version of Open Office. They, at
> least, are producing manuals.

Virtualbox has one of the finest manuals I have seen.

--

   David
0
On 10/8/2011 1:22 PM, dillinger wrote:

>> Thanks. I've been wondering about that. I am fearful of dinking with the
>> registry although I sometimes that is over-hyped. Is there a favored
>> registry tool among the folks here?
>>
> Regedit.

Thanks, I've used that in the past.

>> Again how do I delete the disabled version?
>>
> Uninstall Windows.

I'm thinking "Uninstall Firefox" makes more sense in the instant case.

Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 6:40:00 PM
On 10/8/2011 1:29 PM, David wrote:

>> How do I delete the disabled version?
>
> It could be listed in the Control Panel that I mentioned before. And
> (this is XP 32bit one hardrdrive) in C:\Program Files\<the name of the
> application. For example for Realplayer it *might* be C:\Program
> Files\Realplayer. Inside that folder *might* be (should be) an
> executable named uninstall,exe which does that. :-)

That would seem to uninstall the working software--the questions are
about deleting disabled plugins.

But I have lot interest in the questions--trying to get answers is less
satisfying than pissing into a strong wind.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data:  http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
0
Laurence
10/8/2011 6:56:30 PM
On 11-10-08 10:37 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 10/7/11 1:58 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> If so, I think the problem
>> that people use different terminology for different things.
>
> *Exactly* why Mozilla needs real manuals you can download.
>
> No matter where or what I search, I never seem to be able to find
> anything, because I search and can't find anything, even Google proves
> problematic for me. :-(
>
> Sorry for the O.T.

I don't think it's OT, because this is about helping people find Firefox
documentation.

I think what you want is an alternative to search on the support site,
not necessarily a downloadable manual. That's partly what the front page
is supposed to address. If you have any issues or suggestions, try
posting in the contributors forum at
<https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/contributors>.

Articles in the KB can have multiple names, to cater to different search
terms, so although the article has the proper tags to make it the first
result when searching for "remove disabled plugin", if users are still
not thinking to click on it, it can be given an alternate name.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 11-10-08 12:42 PM, WLS wrote:
> Get Involved
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/community/

Unfortunately, that page has a 404 link to helping with end-user
documentation. I'll file a bug for that.

The correct link is
<https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/improve-knowledge-base> or
<https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/superheroes-wanted>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 10/8/2011 2:56 PM, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/8/2011 1:29 PM, David wrote:
>

>> It could be listed in the Control Panel that I mentioned before. And
>> (this is XP 32bit one hardrdrive) in C:\Program Files\<the name of the
>> application. For example for Realplayer it *might* be C:\Program
>> Files\Realplayer. Inside that folder *might* be (should be) an
>> executable named uninstall,exe which does that. :-)
>
> That would seem to uninstall the working software--the questions are
> about deleting disabled plugins.
>
> But I have lot interest in the questions--trying to get answers is less
> satisfying than pissing into a strong wind.

The plugins are part of the installed software. When you installed
Realplayer you also got the plugin with it. More than likely it is a
..dll file located in the Realplayer folder.

--

   David
0