Firefox XP 2.0.0.8 ubuntu 2.0.0.6. Why?

I am using XP and Ubuntu 7.10. In both operating system I am using the same profile.
(Symbolic link to XP partition).
However, due to the difference in versions Firefox always start with a addon check.
So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8. That would solve this problem.
Arjen
0
Arjen
10/22/2007 7:03:28 PM
📁 mozilla.support.firefox
📃 24319 articles.
⭐ 10 followers.

💬 5 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1406 Views

On 10/22/2007 3:03 PM, Arjen Meijer wrote:
> I am using XP and Ubuntu 7.10. In both operating system I am using the
> same profile.
> (Symbolic link to XP partition).
>
> However, due to the difference in versions Firefox always start with a
> addon check.
>
> So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8. That would solve this problem.
>
> Arjen
Ubuntu modifies the Firefox files to create a hook into the Ubuntu help system.
  Also, they need to pack it into a .deb to be distributed through the Ubuntu
package manager.  I'm sure that 2.0.0.8 will be available, but, because Firefox
is always updating, 2.0.0.9 or 2.0.0.10 may be out then :-(
You can install the latest .tar.gz from the Mozilla site but it will probably
disable help in _all_ Ubuntu applications.

--
G. R. Woodring
Arjen Meijer wrote:
> So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8.
I heard something that 2.0.0.7 was released, but not a total fix to the problem (security related?), so I understood that for that reason Ubuntu held off on deploying it.
They might subscribe to the Debian philosophy of only patching security holes rather than upgrade to the latest version... I know Debian does that with Samba, I think everything Debian...
Now 2.0.0.8 is out, still did not receive it via an update.
I suggest we look towards Ubuntu forums for answers.
--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
Michael Lueck wrote:
> Arjen Meijer wrote:
>> So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8.
>
> I heard something that 2.0.0.7 was released, but not a total fix to the
> problem (security related?), so I understood that for that reason Ubuntu
> held off on deploying it.
>
> They might subscribe to the Debian philosophy of only patching security
> holes rather than upgrade to the latest version... I know Debian does
> that with Samba, I think everything Debian...
>
> Now 2.0.0.8 is out, still did not receive it via an update.
>
> I suggest we look towards Ubuntu forums for answers.

I know everyone says you can't... but...
in terminal -gksudo firefox.
FF will open  and you can Click -Help- check for
updates and it will update you to 2.0.0.8.
caver1
0
caver1
10/23/2007 1:57:25 AM
In article <wNOdnVGeTNSRaYHanZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@mozilla.org>,
arjenmeijer@nietbereikbaar.nl says...
> I am using XP and Ubuntu 7.10. In both operating system I am using the same profile.
> (Symbolic link to XP partition).
>
> However, due to the difference in versions Firefox always start with a addon check.
>
> So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8. That would solve this problem.
>
> Arjen

FireFox 2.0.0.8 was in this morning's ubuntu update.
--
Claude
0
Claude J wrote:
> FireFox 2.0.0.8 was in this morning's ubuntu update.
Thanks for that good word. Indeed FF 2.0.0.8 and a newer TB 2.0.0.6 were waiting for me to fetch.