Sunbird going backwards?

Greetings!

I was using Sunbird .2 and successfully using a remote calendar server (with
password protection).  Upgrading to .3 seems to have reduced functionality
to zero - can't import ics files, can't download from remote servers.

Calendar Tab has no indicater for visible or invisible for 'default
calendar' - anyone know what they are referring to at
mozilla.org/projects/calendar?

Is there a blog or anything to indicate what is going on with this product?

Hope I am missing something...seems like we're going backwards!

Tom

0
Thomas
1/23/2006 8:23:44 PM
mozilla.support.calendar 2589 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Thomas  Hearne wrote on 23. Jan 2006

> I was using Sunbird .2 and successfully using a remote calendar server
> (with password protection).  Upgrading to .3 seems to have reduced
> functionality to zero - can't import ics files, can't download from
> remote servers.

That's a pretty general statement. Does it no work with every .ics fil
that you've tried or will it not work with particular calendar files

Unfortunately Sunbird had some pretty bad bugs and generated .ic
files that were invalid and Sunbird 0.3a1, which is much more correc
in the way it generates and accepts .ics files, suffers from thes
invalid files

> Is there a blog or anything to indicate what is going on with this
> product?

The calendar website links directly to
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calenda

--
Simon Paquet
Sunbird/Calendar website maintainer
Thomas Hearne wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I was using Sunbird .2 and successfully using a remote calendar server (with
> password protection).  Upgrading to .3 seems to have reduced functionality
> to zero - can't import ics files, can't download from remote servers.
>
> Calendar Tab has no indicater for visible or invisible for 'default
> calendar' - anyone know what they are referring to at
> mozilla.org/projects/calendar?
>
> Is there a blog or anything to indicate what is going on with this product?
>
> Hope I am missing something...seems like we're going backwards!
>
> Tom

It's not all that unusual for there to be apparent "backwards" progress
from an official release to an alpha release.  As I understand it, the
Calendar team was starting to find limitations in how the original
Calendar backend was implemented that was preventing them from adding
some much-needed features, so they had to re-write a lot of that code.
There are some things that broke in the process that have yet to be
fixed.  I've seen a lot of progress from 0.3alpha to the most recent
nightly builds, so you may want to try those and see if they're any
better for you.  (Of course, the usual caveat that using nightly builds
can be dangerous to your health and may cause problems ranging from
dataloss to your computer imploding into a black hole and destroying the
solar system applies.)

I would expect that the final 0.3 release will be in all aspects better
than 0.2, but there are no guarantees as to the quality of the product
at any point in between.

--
Jeff Beal
0