Problem with my problem?

Hi, folks.  Three days ago, I posted that Sunbird was refusing to import
the ICS file from the Firefox Calendar Extension.  Nobody replied, so I
can only assume that one of three situations exists:
1) The file is corrupt, and no one wants to give me the bad news;
2) This is a known problem with Sunbird, but no one knows the solution;
3) Everyone is hard at work 24/7 trying to figure out the solution to my
problem (LOL).
I've already discovered that I can copy and paste each event from the
calendar extension to Sunbird one by one.  Before I devote many hours of
my life to that chore, does anyone know of a quicker way to transfer
them? Thanks!
0
Storm
10/23/2006 8:57:53 PM
📁 mozilla.support.calendar
📃 2589 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2377 Views

Storm wrote:
> Hi, folks.  Three days ago, I posted that Sunbird was refusing to import
> the ICS file from the Firefox Calendar Extension.  Nobody replied, so I
> can only assume that one of three situations exists:
> 1) The file is corrupt, and no one wants to give me the bad news;
> 2) This is a known problem with Sunbird, but no one knows the solution;
> 3) Everyone is hard at work 24/7 trying to figure out the solution to my
> problem (LOL).
>
> I've already discovered that I can copy and paste each event from the
> calendar extension to Sunbird one by one.  Before I devote many hours of
> my life to that chore, does anyone know of a quicker way to transfer
> them? Thanks!
Indeed it sounds like the file is corrupt, or there's some detail
in it that's not handled in the same way by the two
applications... Maybe the following MozillaZine thread can help
you. At least it mentions an error similar to the one you
reported, also associated with the import of an .ics file. But I
can't fully understand the suggestion given there (in the third
message), without having an offending file to test with. Feel free
to email me your file; I'd be happy to have a look (though I'm no
expert in this...).
Telmo
10/25/2006 1:05:59 AM
Telmo Amaral wrote:
> Storm wrote:
>> Hi, folks.  Three days ago, I posted that Sunbird was refusing to
>> import the ICS file from the Firefox Calendar Extension.  Nobody
>> replied, so I can only assume that one of three situations exists:
>> 1) The file is corrupt, and no one wants to give me the bad news;
>> 2) This is a known problem with Sunbird, but no one knows the solution;
>> 3) Everyone is hard at work 24/7 trying to figure out the solution to
>> my problem (LOL).
>>
>> I've already discovered that I can copy and paste each event from the
>> calendar extension to Sunbird one by one.  Before I devote many hours
>> of my life to that chore, does anyone know of a quicker way to
>> transfer them? Thanks!
>
> Indeed it sounds like the file is corrupt, or there's some detail in it
> that's not handled in the same way by the two applications... Maybe the
> following MozillaZine thread can help you. At least it mentions an error
> similar to the one you reported, also associated with the import of an
> .ics file. But I can't fully understand the suggestion given there (in
> the third message), without having an offending file to test with. Feel
> free to email me your file; I'd be happy to have a look (though I'm no
> expert in this...).
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=338880
Thanks, Telmo.  I just emailed the file to you.  I did find two of those
characters, but not in the format described in the Bugzilla string.  I
got rid of them, since they weren't important, but I still can't import
the file (same error message, which seems to be the same error message
described in the Bugzilla string).  Cheers! - Storm
0
Storm
10/25/2006 11:24:54 AM
Storm wrote:
> Telmo Amaral wrote:
>> Storm wrote:
>> Indeed it sounds like the file is corrupt, or there's some detail in
>> it that's not handled in the same way by the two applications... Maybe
>> the following MozillaZine thread can help you. At least it mentions an
>> error similar to the one you reported, also associated with the import
>> of an .ics file. But I can't fully understand the suggestion given
>> there (in the third message), without having an offending file to test
>> with. Feel free to email me your file; I'd be happy to have a look
>> (though I'm no expert in this...).
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=338880
>
> Thanks, Telmo.  I just emailed the file to you.  I did find two of those
> characters, but not in the format described in the Bugzilla string.  I
> got rid of them, since they weren't important, but I still can't import
> the file (same error message, which seems to be the same error message
> described in the Bugzilla string).  Cheers! - Storm
Hmm, I didn't receive it - could you send it again? (It could be a
delivery delay, but I sent to myself a test message from another
account and it worked...).
0
Telmo
10/25/2006 4:51:33 PM
Telmo Amaral wrote:
> Storm wrote:
>> Telmo Amaral wrote:
>>> Storm wrote:
>> Thanks, Telmo.  I just emailed the file to you.  I did find two of
>> those characters, but not in the format described in the Bugzilla
>> string.  I got rid of them, since they weren't important, but I still
>> can't import the file (same error message, which seems to be the same
>> error message described in the Bugzilla string).  Cheers! - Storm
>
> Hmm, I didn't receive it - could you send it again? (It could be a
> delivery delay, but I sent to myself a test message from another account
> and it worked...).
Sorry, no need to resend the message: it had simply been caught by
Google Mail's spam filter (I don't use that account much, so I'm a
bit unfamiliar with its settings...).
0
Telmo
10/25/2006 4:58:06 PM
Storm wrote:
> Telmo Amaral wrote:
>> Storm wrote:
>> Feel free to email me your file; I'd be happy to have a look
>> (though I'm no expert in this...).
>
> Thanks, Telmo.  I just emailed the file to you.  I did find two of those
> characters, but not in the format described in the Bugzilla string.  I
> got rid of them, since they weren't important, but I still can't import
> the file (same error message, which seems to be the same error message
> described in the Bugzilla string).  Cheers! - Storm
Storm, please find the corrected file attached (by email), inside
a zipped file. I'll post the text of this message at the
newsgroup, for the benefit of others who may run into the same
problem. The import now appears to be done correctly, in spite of
an incomprehensible error message that pops up at the end.
The error message you saw was in fact from SB. It's a shame one
can't copy text from it, but it reported the line at which the
error occurred in a SB JavaScript file. Inspecting that file, it
becomes apparent that .ics files are expected to be in UTF-8
format. Opening your .ics in UltraEdit revealed that it was is
ASCII format instead, so I did File / Conversions / ASCII to UTF-8
and saved the file with a different name. Importing the file into
a new calendar in SB, everything seems to go normally, and then an
'Error getting calendar' message pops up, saying '310 items failed
to import. ...'. However, precisely 310 items were imported (275
events and 35 tasks). For confirmation, I did File / Open Calendar
File and again 310 items show up (this is a worse solution than
importing, though, as SB's database is supposed to be more
efficient).
Disclaimer (always wanted to write a disclaimer :-) ) - I'll keep
your attachment, file, and imported calendar for a day or two,
just in case, and then I'll delete them.
0
Telmo
10/25/2006 6:29:36 PM
Telmo Amaral wrote:
> Storm wrote:
>> Telmo Amaral wrote:
>>> Storm wrote:
>>> Feel free to email me your file; I'd be happy to have a look (though
>>> I'm no expert in this...).
>>
>> Thanks, Telmo.  I just emailed the file to you.  I did find two of
>> those characters, but not in the format described in the Bugzilla
>> string.  I got rid of them, since they weren't important, but I still
>> can't import the file (same error message, which seems to be the same
>> error message described in the Bugzilla string).  Cheers! - Storm
>
> Storm, please find the corrected file attached (by email), inside a
> zipped file. I'll post the text of this message at the newsgroup, for
> the benefit of others who may run into the same problem. The import now
> appears to be done correctly, in spite of an incomprehensible error
> message that pops up at the end.
>
> The error message you saw was in fact from SB. It's a shame one can't
> copy text from it, but it reported the line at which the error occurred
> in a SB JavaScript file. Inspecting that file, it becomes apparent that
> .ics files are expected to be in UTF-8 format. Opening your .ics in
> UltraEdit revealed that it was is ASCII format instead, so I did File /
> Conversions / ASCII to UTF-8 and saved the file with a different name.
> Importing the file into a new calendar in SB, everything seems to go
> normally, and then an 'Error getting calendar' message pops up, saying
> '310 items failed to import. ...'. However, precisely 310 items were
> imported (275 events and 35 tasks). For confirmation, I did File / Open
> Calendar File and again 310 items show up (this is a worse solution than
> importing, though, as SB's database is supposed to be more efficient).
>
> Disclaimer (always wanted to write a disclaimer :-) ) - I'll keep your
> attachment, file, and imported calendar for a day or two, just in case,
> and then I'll delete them.
Just for the record (since we've already communicated by email), you're
my hero, Telmo.  This was definitely going way above and beyond the call
of duty. Thank you!
0
Storm