No password asked for CalDav calendar (ownCloud)

Hello everybody,

I am changing caldav provider (switching to ownCloud) but no password is being asked after calendar setup, and therefore no sync is taking place.

How could I force the authentication dialog to show up?

More details:
- Here are the steps I am following:
    - I create a remote caldav calendar, with address
    - https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/user/mycalendar
    - The box "online cache" is checked (I aslo tried without, doesn't change).
- The calendar appears in the calendar list as greyed.
- The error log shows
    - CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar
    - [JavaScript Error: "[calCachedCalendar] replay action failed: null, uri=https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycalendar, result=2147500037, op=[xpconnect wrapped calIOperation]"]
So far as I understood, that means that Lightning tries to access a page that it is not allowed to. Makes sense...

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Nicolas
0
zinzolin
11/4/2013 8:56:03 AM
mozilla.support.calendar 2589 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Note: I am using Thunderbird 24.1.0 with Lightning 2.6.1 on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (same issue).
0
zinzolin
11/4/2013 10:18:21 AM
Hello,

Am 04.11.2013 09:56, schrieb zinzolin@gmail.com:
> I am changing caldav provider (switching to ownCloud) but no password is being asked after calendar setup, and therefore no sync is taking place.
>
> How could I force the authentication dialog to show up?
>
> More details:
> - Here are the steps I am following:
>      - I create a remote caldav calendar, with address
>      - https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/user/mycalendar
>      - The box "online cache" is checked (I aslo tried without, doesn't change).
> - The calendar appears in the calendar list as greyed.
> - The error log shows
>      - CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar
>      - [JavaScript Error: "[calCachedCalendar] replay action failed: null, uri=https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycalendar, result=2147500037, op=[xpconnect wrapped calIOperation]"]
> So far as I understood, that means that Lightning tries to access a page that it is not allowed to. Makes sense...
>
> Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It seems like you are missing the last slash
https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycalendar/

Try that, it works in my Lightning

Best regards
Marcel

--
www.mrgeneration.de - The home of Anime
Marcel Herrguth   Tel: 0176/65 92 44 85

The home of Anime @
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/mrgeneration.de
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mr_Generation

0
Marcel
11/4/2013 11:14:36 AM
On Monday, November 4, 2013 12:14:36 PM UTC+1, Marcel Herrguth wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Am 04.11.2013 09:56,
>=20
> > I am changing caldav provider (switching to ownCloud) but no password i=
s being asked after calendar setup, and therefore no sync is taking place.
>=20
> >
>=20
> > How could I force the authentication dialog to show up?
>=20
> >
>=20
> > More details:
>=20
> > - Here are the steps I am following:
>=20
> >      - I create a remote caldav calendar, with address
>=20
> >      - https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/user/mycal=
endar
>=20
> >      - The box "online cache" is checked (I aslo tried without, doesn't=
 change).
>=20
> > - The calendar appears in the calendar list as greyed.
>=20
> > - The error log shows
>=20
> >      - CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar
>=20
> >      - [JavaScript Error: "[calCachedCalendar] replay action failed: nu=
ll, uri=3Dhttps://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/myc=
alendar, result=3D2147500037, op=3D[xpconnect wrapped calIOperation]"]
>=20
> > So far as I understood, that means that Lightning tries to access a pag=
e that it is not allowed to. Makes sense...
>=20
> >
>=20
> > Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>=20
> >
>=20
>=20
>=20
> It seems like you are missing the last slash
>=20
> https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycalendar/
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Try that, it works in my Lightning
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Best regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> www.mrgeneration.de - The home of Anime
>=20
> Marcel Herrguth   Tel: 0176/65 92 44 85
>=20
> Kl=FCberstr. 25
>=20
> 12249 Berlin, Germany
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The home of Anime @
>=20
> Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/mrgeneration.de
>=20
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mr_Generation

Hi Marcel and thanks for the help!

I tried adding the last slash, but without success. I still get the same er=
ror (CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar)

I also tried with and without www and https. No effect.

Any other idea?
0
zinzolin
11/4/2013 1:42:00 PM
On 11/04/2013 11:18 AM, zinzolin@gmail.com wrote:
> Note: I am using Thunderbird 24.1.0 with Lightning 2.6.1 on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (same issue).

You need Lightning 2.6.2.

--
Christian

0
Christian
11/4/2013 8:21:29 PM
On Monday, November 4, 2013 9:21:29 PM UTC+1, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 11:18 AM
>
> > Note: I am using Thunderbird 24.1.0 with Lightning 2.6.1 on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (same issue).
>

> You need Lightning 2.6.2.
>

> --
>
> Christian

I actually have Lightning 2.6.2. A typo, sorry.
0
zinzolin
11/5/2013 10:07:01 AM
I remember doing tests with owncloud not so long ago and everything worked.

I a suspecting now some kind of password corruption: an old password stored for a previous installation. Therefore the password is not being asked any more.

Would this make any sense?

I then tried to reset Lightning to its initial state by
- deinstalling it
- deleting the calendar cache folder in thunderbird's profile folder
- deleting all the "calendar.something" lines in prefs.js
- deleting all calendar passwords in the password manager
- reinstalling it

But no success :-(
0
zinzolin
11/5/2013 10:46:08 AM
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:46:08 AM UTC+1, zinz...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember doing tests with owncloud not so long ago and everything worked.
>

> I a suspecting now some kind of password corruption: an old password stored for a previous installation. Therefore the password is not being asked any more.
>

> Would this make any sense?
>

> I then tried to reset Lightning to its initial state by
>
> - deinstalling it
>
> - deleting the calendar cache folder in thunderbird's profile folder
>
> - deleting all the "calendar.something" lines in prefs.js
>
> - deleting all calendar passwords in the password manager
>
> - reinstalling it
>

> But no success :-(

Well, maybe something is wrong with ownCloud after all.

When trying another caldav provider, fruux, the password is being asked. And if I don't enter anything, it's being asked again on the next start.
They use the following address type:
https://dav.fruux.com/calendars/user/calendar/
0
zinzolin
11/6/2013 9:49:57 AM
I tried with another calendar server (baikal) and I get the exact same error: a 403 on the initial PROPFIND because no credentials are being used.

And actually, accessing to ownCloud's calendar works just fine in other programs or directly via the browser.

Note that both baikal and owncloud are installed on the same server.

I then think that, for some reason, Lightning does not prompt for password when given an url from my server.

Any idea why?
0
zinzolin
11/19/2013 8:45:52 AM
On 11/19/13 9:45 AM, zinzolin@gmail.com wrote:
> I tried with another calendar server (baikal) and I get the exact same error: a 403 on the initial PROPFIND because no credentials are being used.
>
> And actually, accessing to ownCloud's calendar works just fine in other programs or directly via the browser.
>
> Note that both baikal and owncloud are installed on the same server.
>
> I then think that, for some reason, Lightning does not prompt for password when given an url from my server.
>
> Any idea why?

baikal has a known issue, I'm not sure if its resolved. Try SabreDAV
maybe, I know that one works for me and is fairly easy to set up.

Philipp
0
Philipp
11/22/2013 4:00:48 PM
On Monday, 4 November 2013 09:56:03 UTC+1, zinz...@gmail.com  wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I am changing caldav provider (switching to ownCloud) but no password is =
being asked after calendar setup, and therefore no sync is taking place.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> How could I force the authentication dialog to show up?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> More details:
>=20
> - Here are the steps I am following:
>=20
>     - I create a remote caldav calendar, with address
>=20
>     - https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/user/mycalend=
ar
>=20
>     - The box "online cache" is checked (I aslo tried without, doesn't ch=
ange).
>=20
> - The calendar appears in the calendar list as greyed.
>=20
> - The error log shows
>=20
>     - CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar
>=20
>     - [JavaScript Error: "[calCachedCalendar] replay action failed: null,=
 uri=3Dhttps://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycale=
ndar, result=3D2147500037, op=3D[xpconnect wrapped calIOperation]"]
>=20
> So far as I understood, that means that Lightning tries to access a page =
that it is not allowed to. Makes sense...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Nicolas

I had the same problem at first. For me it worked to go to Edit->Preference=
s in TB and clean out all passwords related to that server URL, then add th=
e calendar. It still didn't ask for password but then I restarted TB and vo=
ila! It asked for password and it started to sync my calendar again.
1
oderlandab
4/3/2014 5:43:23 PM
Le lundi 4 novembre 2013 09:56:03 UTC+1, zinz...@gmail.com a =E9crit=A0:
> Hello everybody,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I am changing caldav provider (switching to ownCloud) but no password is =
being asked after calendar setup, and therefore no sync is taking place.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> How could I force the authentication dialog to show up?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> More details:
>=20
> - Here are the steps I am following:
>=20
>     - I create a remote caldav calendar, with address
>=20
>     - https://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/user/mycalend=
ar
>=20
>     - The box "online cache" is checked (I aslo tried without, doesn't ch=
ange).
>=20
> - The calendar appears in the calendar list as greyed.
>=20
> - The error log shows
>=20
>     - CalDAV: Status 403 on initial PROPFIND for calendar mycalendar
>=20
>     - [JavaScript Error: "[calCachedCalendar] replay action failed: null,=
 uri=3Dhttps://myserver/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/nicolas/mycale=
ndar, result=3D2147500037, op=3D[xpconnect wrapped calIOperation]"]
>=20
> So far as I understood, that means that Lightning tries to access a page =
that it is not allowed to. Makes sense...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Nicolas

Bonsoir,

I had exactly the same issue with tbird and owncloud. The solution was to g=
o to my owncloud page, via the web browser.
Then click on the calendar.
Then go to options
Then in the option window, on the right of the name of your calendar, there=
 are some small icons. The second when is "Caldav link".=20
You click on it. A link will show up.
Copy/Paste this link in Tbird.
And Voil=E0, for me it works.

Hoping it will solve your issue.

Rgds

T.D
0
tristan
4/4/2014 6:41:39 PM
Nice hint, was too blind to see the direct link for the calendar. The final=
 trick was, however, to restart Thunderbird. Only after the restart, it ask=
ed for my login and now it's working fine!

Am Freitag, 4. April 2014 20:41:39 UTC+2 schrieb tristan...@gmail.com:
> [...]
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Nicolas
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Bonsoir,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I had exactly the same issue with tbird and owncloud. The solution was to=
 go to my owncloud page, via the web browser.
>=20
> Then click on the calendar.
>=20
> Then go to options
>=20
> Then in the option window, on the right of the name of your calendar, the=
re are some small icons. The second when is "Caldav link".=20

0
tobias

Web resources about - No password asked for CalDav calendar (ownCloud) - mozilla.support.calendar

One-time password - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A one-time password (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction. OTPs avoid a number of shortcomings that are ...

Oregon To Consider Bill Blocking Employers From Demanding Applicants’ Facebook Passwords
The Oregon House of Representatives will hear a bill Friday that would prevent employers from demanding that job applicants reveal their passwords ...

Keeping Passwords Secure
The Facebook Security team has always kept a close eye on data breach announcements from other organizations. Theft of personal data like email ...

New Facebook Security Features: One-Time Passwords, Security Info
Facebook has launched two new security features to help users stay in control of their accounts. Users can now receive a one-time password from ...

Password management app Enpass goes 5.0 with new design and features
If you care about your online privacy and security which you very well should youre probably already using a password management app. In all ...

Security solution RapID wants to kill the password
At a time where cyber security is infiltrating the consciousness of consumers and businesses alike, finding the right balance between security ...

Unhackable brain scans may some day replace passwords
Security breaches affecting millions of users have come to light in recent years, yet we’re no better at protecting our personal data, or at ...

CISOs say advanced authentication methods must be used with traditional passwords
A group of leading Chief Information Security Officer’s (CISOs) say that days are numbered for the password as the sole authentication method ...

How to master the art of passwords
With no easy and reliable alternative to passwords in sight, you either have to memorize cryptic passphrases or use a password manager to access ...

Ta-ta to passwords and PINs; faces and fingerprints to rule the future
Facial and fingerprint recognition technologies are expected to see accelerated growth over the next five years as security applications emerge ...