It's not about 1st amendment, it's about condoning Mozilla's despicable behavior.

Today I got a nice email from someone inside Mozilla, in response to my ang=
ry post elsewhere, explaining Mozilla's actions. He ended his email with:
"Open dialogue is an important part of Mozilla's commitment to open, honest=
 and community-driven communication, and we remain committed to a free, ope=
n web."
In the spirit of open dialogue, let me share here my response to him.
Ze'ev
---------
Dear ...,
I appreciate your position yet I remain convinced that Mozilla's behavior w=
as despicable.
Mozilla caved in to public pressure about one of its employees' personal be=
liefs. Instead of publicly stepping forward and defending its CEO, Mozilla =
allowed him to take the fall for the company. That he chose to do so speaks=
 volumes for his personal integrity and his love for Mozilla, yet it does n=
ot absolve the board for its cowardice.
This is no different from Khomeini issuing a fatwa on Salman Rushdie and th=
e publication houses expecting him to withdraw his book. That the publisher=
s didn't ask him to do it is a tribute to their beliefs in individual right=
s and human dignity. Contrast that with Mozilla's board cowardly behavior.
This is not much different from McCarthyism that expected workplaces to "vo=
luntarily" not employ people associated with communism, or having friends a=
mong them, in the 1950s. That McCarthyism is now universally condemned is a=
 tribute to American society. I hope that Mozilla's board will be similarly=
 condemned in the future.
Until such condemnation happens, I will not use Mozilla, I will recommend t=
o people to uninstall Mozilla, and I will speak against Mozilla at every op=
portunity that I have.
In fact, if you and your colleagues have any personal dignity left, you wil=
l consider resigning from a company behaving in such despicable way.
Regards,
0
Ze
4/17/2014 10:18:48 PM