"Firefox for devs"

Daniel Buchner and I were talking about MDN the other day and we noticed =
that the front page of MDN does not actually have a useful, discoverable =
link about things like Firefox's developer tools.

The "Firefox for Devs" image on the front page takes you to a page =
listing what's new for developers in the latest Firefox. While that's =
interesting, it seems like we should have a page that aggregates =
information for web developers who use Firefox. That would include the =
"what's new in the latest Firefox" page as well as the Tools page.

Does that make sense? Is there already such a page? Are there other =
resources that we'd want to link to that provide more information for =
web developers that use Firefox?

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor
product manager, developer tools

work: http://mozilla.com/
blog: http://blueskyonmars.com/
@dangoor

0
Kevin
4/17/2012 5:42:14 PM
mozilla.engagement.developers 983 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Firefox" or "Gecko"
Hi, In a lot of places in MDN, like in https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Attr#Deprecated_properties_and_methods one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by a template. This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I think). This i...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Renaming of "Firefox only" to "Toolkit only"
As discussed on irc, lots of pages have the mention "Firefox only", or "Not in Firefox" [1] [2]. That's not very correct technically, as other apps like XULRunner or Thunderbird are also concerned by the "Firefox only" texts. It was proposed to rename those to "Toolkit only" / "Not in toolkit". Those texts should be templatized for easier management. It was also discussed if pre-toolkit stuff should be supported, but I guess that's another debate ;-) I'm not taking action on this personally, that was to open the d...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

firefox "bookmarks manager" "bookmarks toolbar" "same order"
I did a web and groups search for the subject line to try to find an answer, but came up dry. I'm running Firefox2 on an XP machine. The problem is this: For some reason, Bookmarks Manager does not list the bookmarks in the same order as the bookmarks toolbar. It used to. How can I make it do it again? "Restore natural order" does nothing. I want the order in Bookmarks Manager to change to reflect the order on the bookmarks toolbar. I used to be able to make a change in Bookmarks Manager and it would immediately be reflected in the bookmarks toolbar and would li...

the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox
Name: ets3rodamar@hotmail.com Email: ets3rodamarathotmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox Comments: I received the following info when I tried to access the "Help Central" service of "Windows Live" "http://g.live.com/9uxp9en-us/ftr2?productkey=wlhomepage"...: https://account.live.com/error.aspx?errcode=1047&mkt=de-de [quote] Browser wird nicht unterstützt Versuchen Sie, Ihren Browser auf eine neuere Version zu aktualisieren, um sich be...

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"Me" is better than "You"

Using "+" or "||"

replace the "." with a ","

"Using" or "With"

"To" and "From" missing

double quote

Web resources about - "Firefox for devs" - mozilla.engagement.developers