Upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.9

The docs say NOT to install on top of an existing installation so I
didn't.  Instead I created an empty directory e:\SeaMonkey119 and
installed there.  Now how do I get my address book, bookmarks, filed
messages, ... to the new one?  I sincerely hope I don't have to type in
everything by hand! :-(

Ted
0
user
4/5/2008 11:05:47 PM
📁 mozilla.dev.ports.os2
📃 2255 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 243 Views

Sir:

user@domain.invalid wrote:
> The docs say NOT to install on top of an existing installation so I
> didn't.  Instead I created an empty directory e:\SeaMonkey119 and
> installed there.  Now how do I get my address book, bookmarks, filed
> messages, ... to the new one?  I sincerely hope I don't have to type in
> everything by hand! :-(

IF you been using the Mozilla_Home environmental variable (config.sys
entry), then there is nothing to move.  However, If you been just using
the default profile location under the SeaMonkey program tree, then move
(copy until you've checked everything is okay) the profile from the
current location to under SeaMonkey119 (or move it and rename
SeaMonkey119 to whatever the current location is named) and change the
addresses in prefs.js file to reflect the new location.  Steve has an
excellent FAQ page here <http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html>.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
William L. Hartzell wrote:
> IF you been using the Mozilla_Home environmental variable (config.sys
> entry), then there is nothing to move.

I haven't been using that so

> However, If you been just using
> the default profile location under the SeaMonkey program tree, then move
> (copy until you've checked everything is okay) the profile from the
> current location to under SeaMonkey119 (or move it and rename
> SeaMonkey119 to whatever the current location is named) and change the
> addresses in prefs.js file to reflect the new location.

so I'll do that.  Once the copy/move is complete and checked, is there
any disadvantage to put that in my config.sys?

> Steve has an
> excellent FAQ page here <http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html>.

Thanks for the tips.

Ted
0
Ted
4/6/2008 12:05:05 AM
William L. Hartzell wrote:
> Steve has an
> excellent FAQ page here <http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html>.

Clicking on that link gives a well formatted page but if I save it using
File=>Save Page as and enter (say) h:\apps\SeaMonkey\Warpzilla.html all
formatting is lost when I attempt to open it from the file.  This seems
to happen more and more but not always.  Have I messed up a setting or ???

Ted

0
Ted
4/6/2008 3:39:36 AM
William L. Hartzell wrote:
> IF you been using the Mozilla_Home environmental variable (config.sys
> entry), then there is nothing to move.

Can this be done after the fact?  i.e. can I set Mozilla_Home in
config.sys and have 1.1.9 work correctly?

Ted
0
Ted
4/6/2008 3:45:22 AM
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 03:45:22 UTC, Ted Edwards <Ted_Espamless@telus.net> wrote:
> William L. Hartzell wrote:

> > IF you been using the Mozilla_Home environmental variable (config.sys
> > entry), then there is nothing to move.
>
> Can this be done after the fact?  i.e. can I set Mozilla_Home in
> config.sys and have 1.1.9 work correctly?

The most pain-free way would be to point MOZILLA_HOME at your _old_
Seamonkey directory (e.g. e:\SeaMonkey114).  This will let you leave
your existing profile where it is.  When you're comfortable that
v1.1.9 is working OK, you can return to the old directory and delete
everything in it *except* the Mozilla subdirectory where your profile
is stored.

> > Steve has an excellent FAQ page here
> > <http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html>.
>
> Clicking on that link gives a well formatted page but if I save it using
> File=>Save Page as and enter (say) h:\apps\SeaMonkey\Warpzilla.html all
> formatting is lost when I attempt to open it from the file.  This seems
> to happen more and more but not always.  Have I messed up a setting or ???

I don't know about this page in particular but many pages use a separate
stylesheet file (*.css) that describes the formatting.  If you have only
the html file, the page won't be laid out correctly.  Next time, choose
either "Plain Text" or "Web Page, complete".

--
== == almost usable email address:  Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

                |         DragText v3.9 with NLS support
Rich Walsh      |   A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
Ft Myers, FL    |         http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

Rich
4/6/2008 8:44:08 AM
Rich Walsh wrote:
> The most pain-free way would be to point MOZILLA_HOME at your _old_
> Seamonkey directory (e.g. e:\SeaMonkey114).  This will let you leave
> your existing profile where it is.  When you're comfortable that
> v1.1.9 is working OK, you can return to the old directory and delete
> everything in it *except* the Mozilla subdirectory where your profile
> is stored.

Thanks Rich.  Worked a treat.

Ted
0