"Firefox" or "Gecko"

Hi,
In a lot of places in MDN, like in
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Attr#Deprecated_properties_and_methods
one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by
a template.
This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm
wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented
documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to
just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I
think). This is the information that webdevs are looking for.
Other developers (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey) know that Firefox 7 is using
Gecko 7 and know for what platform they developing for and
correspondance, so they don't need the information I think.
Thoughts?
David
0
David
9/27/2011 11:35:38 AM
📁 mozilla.dev.mdc
📃 2326 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 7 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1438 Views

On Sep 27, 7:35=A0am, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a lot of places in MDN, like inhttps://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/At=
tr#Deprecated_properties_and_m...
> one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
> Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by
> a template.
>
> This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm
> wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented
> documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to
> just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I
> think). This is the information that webdevs are looking for.
> Other developers (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey) know that Firefox 7 is using
> Gecko 7 and know for what platform they developing for and
> correspondance, so they don't need the information I think.
Others have already chimed in on this, but there are a couple of
reasons to keep using the template:
* As already mentioned, this helps SeaMonkey developers.
* It gives us flexibility in the future; for example, if the version
system changes again in the future for some reason, we can easily
tweak the template and keep on going.
Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
Mozilla
http://www.bitstampede.com/
0
Sheppy
9/27/2011 1:03:15 PM
(11/09/27 21:03), Sheppy wrote:
> Others have already chimed in on this, but there are a couple of
> reasons to keep using the template:
>
> * As already mentioned, this helps SeaMonkey developers.
> * It gives us flexibility in the future; for example, if the version
> system changes again in the future for some reason, we can easily
> tweak the template and keep on going.
I think we'll agree using templates is a good idea, and the question is
what the content of this template should be.
I second David's idea to have the shortest version (i.e. Firefox 7) but
I think we can make the longer line (i.e. Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)) as part of the tooltip.
That is, I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
0
Kang
10/1/2011 12:41:34 PM
On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?
--
Colby Russell
0
Colby Russell wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>
> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?

Not sure I can acknowledge this as a vote thing. Since both myself (a
heavy SeaMonkey user/Project Manager) and sheppy (as "owner" of MDC)
doesn't want to change this.
But if *sheppy* chooses to, I won't argue too vocally, since I'm not the
one doing the changes, but I do feel very strongly to keep (roughly)
what we have as far as products we mention.
--
~Justin Wood (Callek)
0
(11/10/09 3:47), Colby Russell wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>
> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?
No. What I was voting for was
* The whole string "Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey
2.4)" should be generated by a single template, not just the part in the
parenthesis.
* The whole string should just become '<span title="Gecko 7.0 (Firefox
7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)">Firefox 7.0'
0
Kang
10/10/2011 12:40:24 PM
On 10/10/2011 07:40 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> (11/10/09 3:47), Colby Russell wrote:
>> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>>
>> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?
>
> No. What I was voting for was
I was pointing out that you gave "optimizing for the majority" as your
reason for "Firefox…".  Actually optimizing for the majority would be a
vote for "Gecko…".
--
Colby Russell
0
Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> No. What I was voting for was
>
> * The whole string "Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey
> 2.4)" should be generated by a single template, not just the part in the
> parenthesis.
This sounds like a reasonable change.
> * The whole string should just become '<span title="Gecko 7.0 (Firefox
> 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)">Firefox 7.0'
This I wholeheartedly disagree with.
0
Justin