What is the future of side-loading?

I created an Internet Filtering addon back in 2010 and it has been bundled =
with an installer and side-loaded using the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOF=
TWARE\Wow6432Node\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions.

I recently converted it to webextension format.  It still uses the same ins=
tallation method, but I'm getting indications from mozilla IRC channels tha=
t the future of side-loading is unclear.  This is reinforced by the fact th=
at references to details on how to accomplish side-loading point to obsolet=
e content in:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Extension_Packaging
and
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Installing_extensions

Yet, I see that unlisted addons are still supported.  The only reason I can=
 think of for having an unlisted addon is to side-load it as part of a pack=
age.

What is the future of side-loading?
0
afodata
8/10/2016 8:11:42 PM
mozilla.dev.extensions 5694 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 8/10/16 2:11 PM, afodata@gmail.com wrote:
> I created an Internet Filtering addon back in 2010 and it has been bundled with an installer and side-loaded using the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions.
>
> I recently converted it to webextension format.  It still uses the same installation method, but I'm getting indications from mozilla IRC channels that the future of side-loading is unclear.  This is reinforced by the fact that references to details on how to accomplish side-loading point to obsolete content in:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Extension_Packaging
> and
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Installing_extensions
>
> Yet, I see that unlisted addons are still supported.  The only reason I can think of for having an unlisted addon is to side-load it as part of a package.
>
> What is the future of side-loading?

There are different cases where developers want to distribute add-ons on
their own, and some (most, probably) go with the web-install method
rather than side-loading.

At the moment there aren't any plans to drop this installation method,
but it might happen in the future. When/if there's the intention of
doing this, we will announce it.

Jorge
0
Jorge