TB as secure mail app with Yahoo

I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo applications in a few weeks time. Has anyone else using Yahoo mail received a message like this today?

I use TB (68.12.0) on a Mac with Yahoo accounts set up for fetching with POP and sending with SMTP.

One of the options Yahoo gives is to continue using my non-Yahoo app, but apparently I have to remove my account from the app, then add it back again. Seems very strange to me. Does anyone know what to make of this?

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 8 Views

Never mind. I found the solution explained all here, step by step on this Mozilla support page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-yahoo

It appears to be updated now, but I will need to wait until the 20th of October (Yahoo will stop supporting the "old" sign-in method) to be sure.

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

--
Regards

Jim Wood, Cairns
0
Jim
9/16/2020 2:04:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I already used the other method (Oauth2) for Thunderbird, but option #3 came in handy for my iPad as I don't see any Oauth2 option there.

It worked as explained in the link from Yahoo https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN15241.html but I'm a little confused... a password is generated at Yahoo's website (the link above) but is this a password unique to that specific mail app on my iPad?

And is there a way to change the password?

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0