Google Calendar now supports CalDAV - Need better "New Calendar" dialogs

Google Calendar now supports CalDAV! Great news!?

- What are the consequences of this for Mozilla Calendar? Better? How?
It seems at least we don't need the "Provider for Google Calendar"
add-on anymore!?

- Google's CalDAV "Location" includes the user's e-mail address
(actually, the "Calendar ID") - including the "@" symbol. Can Mozilla
Calendar handle this special symbol? (in my simple tests it does, but
there might be other scenarios)

- It would be useful to be able to set the "Read Only" check-box while
creating new (especially network) calendars. It kinda sucks to have to
don't have write access to (e.g., all family members or colleagues).

+----------------------------------+
| Name:        [_________________] |
| Color:       [  ]                |
| Show Alarms: [x]                 |
| Read-only:   [x]                 |  <-- add this selection!
| E-Mail:      [________________V] |
|                                  |
| Select "Read Only" if you cannot |  <-- add explanation based on
| or don't want to be able to write|      which item has focus above!
| to this calendar. This should be |
| set for calendars others have    |
| shared with you, but for which   |
| you don't have "write" privileges|
|                                  |
|        [Back] |Next] [Cancel]    |
+----------------------------------+

- Lightning 0.9 allows to select "Google Calendar" (Lightning 1.0pre
too?). How is this different from the iCalendar or CalDAV selections?
I've successfully used the iCalendar and CalDAV selections for my Google
Calendar.

This also brings up the more general point that each bullet selection
should yield an explaining text that appears in that dialog (or a
tooltip - but that might be too much text for a tooltip):

+----------------------------------+
| Format: ( ) iCalendar            |
|         ( ) CalDAV               |
|         ( ) Sun Java...          |
|         (o) Google Calendar      |
|                                  |
| Location: [___________________]  |
|                                  |
| The Google Calendar setting will |  <-- add explanation based on
| automatically...                 |      which item has focus above!
|                                  |
|        [Back] |Next] [Cancel]    |
+----------------------------------+

PS. I don't have time to file bugs ATM. This post used-up all my
available time. Sorry.
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:  www.Firefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com

Dangers of Islam:           http://www.jihadwatch.org/islam101/
Israel (Myths & Facts):     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/
0
Peter
12/15/2008 1:06:23 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.calendar 1161 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Difference between "new" calendar and "opening" a calendar
I'm getting Lightning set up in a small business. Everything looks OK, but I'm a little confused about some of the instructions I'm seeing. I've created two calendars so far and saved them as .ics files on the network. One will be a company calendar to show vacations, holidays, people out sick, etc. The other will be my personal calendar, but I'll still want to make most events public because my coworkers need to know what times I'm available for training. Given that these preexisting .ics files already exist on the network, is there any difference between...

Wish: show "calendar" and "calendars" at the same time
Hi, I am really impressed with the calendar and am starting to use it seriously. Thanks and well done. At our office we make good use of multiple calendars, ticking and unticking them to see different categories of event. Because "calendar" (current month) and "calendars" (which calendars to view) are tabs, you can't see them both at the same time. Could "calendars" move down so it is a section between "calendar" and "tasks"? People like me could choose to view both of them. Others could hide "calendars" by dr...

New Calendar inherits all the events from my "regular" calendar
How come when I create a new calendar that the new calendar inherits all the events from my "personal" calendar? Moreover, if I delete events off the new one, those events are also deleted from my "personal" calendar. What I want is an independent new calendar totally unrelated to my personal one. On 12/08/2014 03:29 PM, Bill Stanton wrote: > How come when I create a new calendar that the new > calendar inherits all the events from my "personal" > calendar? Moreover, if I delete events off the new > one, those events are also deleted from...

Can Atlas implement drag-to-select on calendar like the "google calendar"?
Hi all, I would like to implement my calendar project which provide the same functionality as "google calendar", that user can drag and drop to select the range of days on the calendar. Please advise your comments, really thanks for your kindly attention ...^^ Beachboy      ...

Wanted: "Read-only Calendar" option for remote calendars.
Hi! The "Subscribe to Remote Calendar" should have and option that says "Read-only Calendar" to prevent users from (accidentally?) adding events to remote calendars that they don't have any PUT-priviliges to. The current implementation lets the user do that, and then at the next refresh, the events are deleted without any error-messages or warnings. This behaviour could have nasty consequences if the user really meant to put the event in a local calendar, but accidentally put it in the wrong calendar. But, as I keep saying, your program is super, and...

Calendar, "Today" is "Today" in swedish
Hello  I got my calendarcontrol to work, but the word "Today:" doesnt get translated automatically, is there a way to fix that? Or some workaround? removing the word or summet? /S Hi, You need to edit CalendarBehavior.js I just found how to do it in french! In :AjaxControlToolkit/Calendar/CalendarBehavior.jsGo t the line 1058Just before this._today.date = todaysDate; ad this this._today.innerHTML = "Aujourd'***: " + todaysDate.localeFormat("MMMM d, yyyy");this._today.date = todaysDate; Just replace "Aujourd'***:" with the wor...

Monthly calendar "jumps" or "rewinds"
I'm pretty sure this is a WAD (working as designed), just a poor one, IMO. Open the monthly calendar view. You will see "gray" days at the beginning (previous month) and gray days at the end (next month) If you have an appointment, whatever, and you double-click on it, it opens it. Users EXPECT this behavior. BUT, if you do that on a "gray" day (double-click) you get "fast forwarded" or "rewound" TWO months. Apparently if you click ONCE on a gray day it opens NEXT month, and then you have to double-click on the appointment fr...

Events sync'ed from Lightning HOME calendar to G-calendar using Provider for Google calendar don't transfer up to Google server calendar
Hi, I'm running T'bird 17.0.2, Lightning 1.9, Provider for Google Calendar = 0.18 on multiple PCs running Window 7 Home Premium (64bit) and want to keep= calendars in sync... I have 2 calendars showing on Lightning - the original Lightning Home calen= dar and the downloaded Google calendar (G-cal). I am finding that entries = I make directly into the G-cal in Lightning transfer up to Google and back = to another PC without problem. Also, if I make an entry in the Lightning H= ome calendar and hit the sync button it apears in the G-cal in Lightning bu= t it does not transfe...

calendar and "skins"
See this post: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=70704&postdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=0 ...

"Findcontrol" in a Calendar?
Hello,   Trying to “find” a textbox placed on a Calendar control.   Fill the calendar as follows:   ‘///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////   Protected Sub Calendar1_DayRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DayRenderEventArgs) Handles Calendar1.DayRender           If Month(e.Day.Date) = Month(Calendar1.VisibleDate) Then                 e.Cell.Text = ""         &...

Where is the Calendar in "Lightning"?
I just downloaded the nightly build of Lightning(1). After loading it, it looks just like Thunderbird, but I couldnt find anywhere in the UI where to open a calendar. :-\ am I misunderstanding something? Do I also have to install lightning.xpi into the "special" version of Thunderbird? (I'll try that now...) If so, why isn't the XPI pre-packaged into the "special"(?) Thunderbird installer? (1) http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-trunk/ -- Peter Lairo This is a *developer* newsgroup. For end-user discussion a...

"old" calendar?
see here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=459222#459222 junk@invalid.com wrote: > see here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=459222#459222 > further description: "Posted: Wed 31st Mar 2004 6:32pm JTw: 2004.03.31(O2/GAL6 Optimized+Inspector) 2004.04.01 --> No build I removed the Calendar from today's build cuz 1) Calendar increase the size of the zip file (duh ) and 2) It's ooooold (20040109) Instead i put in some experimental patch " junk@invalid.com wrote: > junk@invalid.com wrote: > >> see her...

Change the D2009 trial period to "run days" instead of "calendar days".
I'm moving to D2009 at the beginning of the year, so I got the trial and installed it to mess with. I've only ran D2009 twice, but now have only 5 days left on the trial. I think CG should change to a "15 run" trial approach. rich k wrote: > I'm moving to D2009 at the beginning of the year, so I got the trial > and installed it to mess with. > I've only ran D2009 twice, but now have only 5 days left on the trial. I don't see how your failure to plan constitutes a problem with D2009. > {quote:title=rich k wrote:}{quote} > I'm m...

Please add a link in "Related links" to Google calendar
Hi, In this page (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/links.html), could someone please add a little sentence to point users to setup Google calendar with Thunderbird, please? The URL is http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#sunbird TIA PS: I had sent this post last week in newsgroup through Thunderbird but the post never showed up. The rule to post in newsgroup has been changed and we need to "subscribe" something first? ...

Google Calendar and Gnome Calendar
Hi, I found a nice trick in gnome calendar. This calendar can be synchronized with Google's calendar. I found the explanation in the website below: 'Cagdas&#8217;s Blog � Blog Archive � Google Calendar & Gnome' (http://altinkaya.org/wp/linux/google-calendar-gnome/) Unfortunately, it seems to not work in openSuse 11. Someone knows how can I made the same thing in openSuse 11? The problem is the path. There is no /usr/lib/evolution-webcal in openSuse. Maybe I just have to change the path, but I didn't find anything like it. Thanks in advance for the...

Web resources about - Google Calendar now supports CalDAV - Need better "New Calendar" dialogs - mozilla.dev.apps.calendar