Calendar:Improving the Calendar Views

Hi!

Some points for discussion concerning:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Improving_the_Calendar_Views

First of all: this locks great to me - please go forward in this
direction! And thanks for this nice little ASCII arts!

1. I think its great to have just one surface, either Calendaring or
Mail (including all toolbar buttons and so on) exposed at one time, and
easily switch between them by just klicking one button (what will hide
all non usable toolbar buttons and so on).

2. In Respect to the agreement (Toronto) that Lightning will be a
Calendaring program with some Task capabilities and not a Project
Management Software, would it not be better to just split the left Pane
into two parts - Mail and Calendaring and using Joeys Proposal
(http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Task_View) for a Task View in the Main
View Area? This one you could switch easily like day/week/month view
(perhaps tabs)! And the user would not have to care about whether he is
dealing with Tasks or Events. They are exposed alongside, on the same
level: And additional this also could provide some searching
capabilities that are still missing in Lightning.
But this is not my main point - just for discussion!

3. Concerning the additional Windows on the right side:
I hope this solution would be OPTIONAL!!! You loose very much horizontal
space (what is very precious!!!) and I don't want to have all my tasks
(ToDo) appearing when I'm reading Mail!
Why would you always expose ToDos? You wouldn't do this for Events,
wouldn't you? I think they should be somehow on the same level of
Exposure to the user.
If Someone wants to read mail he uses the mail modus, and if he wants to
see his Agenda or ToDos/Events he should switch (press one button) to
Calendaring and/or Task view (meaning the from me so called "Modus").
So from my point of view it would be a good solution to take the
lefthand Pane from Sunbird and modify it in the way that you pull out
the Tasks (to a separate "modus" or into an additional view - see above)
and use vertical space to arrange the calendar list (groupable), the
Minimonth and the Agenda somehow! And in this way (if you win the space
from the docking windows on the right side) the width of the Agenda
could even be a little bit increased, what makes it more informative.

But, why not, if the user feel comfortable he could dock an additional
Agenda and/or ToDo list (then perhaps minimizing/hiding the standard one
   on the left hand pane. Additional, what would be very interesting, is
another "Modus" (perhaps called Today) grouping some overview
Information like how many new Mails, the Agenda, important ToDos,...
whatever you could think of. See Outlook, Evolution,...

Best regards and happy discussions!

Matthias
0
ISO
11/8/2006 5:58:59 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.calendar 1161 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Matthias,
thanks for your feedback. Please find my comments below.

Regards,
Christian

Matthias Sch�fer schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Some points for discussion concerning:
>
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Improving_the_Calendar_Views
>
> First of all: this locks great to me - please go forward in this
> direction! And thanks for this nice little ASCII arts!

:-)

> 1. I think its great to have just one surface, either Calendaring or
> Mail (including all toolbar buttons and so on) exposed at one time, and
> easily switch between them by just klicking one button (what will hide
> all non usable toolbar buttons and so on).
> 2. In Respect to the agreement (Toronto) that Lightning will be a
> Calendaring program with some Task capabilities and not a Project
> Management Software, would it not be better to just split the left Pane
> into two parts - Mail and Calendaring and using Joeys Proposal
> (http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Task_View) for a Task View in the Main
> View Area? This one you could switch easily like day/week/month view
> (perhaps tabs)! And the user would not have to care about whether he is
> dealing with Tasks or Events. They are exposed alongside, on the same
> level: And additional this also could provide some searching
> capabilities that are still missing in Lightning.
> But this is not my main point - just for discussion!

This sounds interesting. Having a Tasks Tab would be a nice option, but
with the disadvantage that same thing would behave different.

For example. Switching from Mail to Calendar could be done by a single
click. But for switching from Mail to Tasks users need to click the
"Calendar" button, followed by the Task tab. Why shouldn't this behave
in the way like switching from Mail to Calendar? Or are task
intrinsically tied to events?

> 3. Concerning the additional Windows on the right side:
> I hope this solution would be OPTIONAL!!!

Yes, these would be optional. As shown in the mock-up these panes
provide a closer, so it is very easy to get rid of them.

You loose very much horizontal
> space (what is very precious!!!) and I don't want to have all my tasks
> (ToDo) appearing when I'm reading Mail!

16:10 is your friend ;-)

> Why would you always expose ToDos? You wouldn't do this for Events,
> wouldn't you? I think they should be somehow on the same level of
> Exposure to the user.

> If Someone wants to read mail he uses the mail modus, and if he wants to
> see his Agenda or ToDos/Events he should switch (press one button) to
> Calendaring and/or Task view (meaning the from me so called "Modus").

For me (personally) it is very convenient to have the Agende pane always
visible. Most of the time I'm working with e-mail not with calendaring.
But I agree, todos seem to be to unimportant to have them displayed
initially.

> So from my point of view it would be a good solution to take the
> lefthand Pane from Sunbird and modify it in the way that you pull out
> the Tasks (to a separate "modus" or into an additional view - see above)
> and use vertical space to arrange the calendar list (groupable), the
> Minimonth and the Agenda somehow! And in this way (if you win the space
> from the docking windows on the right side) the width of the Agenda
> could even be a little bit increased, what makes it more informative.
>
> But, why not, if the user feel comfortable he could dock an additional
> Agenda and/or ToDo list (then perhaps minimizing/hiding the standard one
>   on the left hand pane. Additional, what would be very interesting, is
> another "Modus" (perhaps called Today) grouping some overview

Yeah, an overview/welcome page, cool designed, would be really nice.

> Information like how many new Mails, the Agenda, important ToDos,...
> whatever you could think of. See Outlook, Evolution,...
>
> Best regards and happy discussions!
>
> Matthias
0
Christian
11/9/2006 3:03:53 PM
Hi!

Please see comments

Matthias

Christian Jansen schrieb:
>> 2. In Respect to the agreement (Toronto) that Lightning will be a
>> Calendaring program with some Task capabilities and not a Project
>> Management Software, would it not be better to just split the left
>> Pane into two parts - Mail and Calendaring and using Joeys Proposal
>> (http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Task_View) for a Task View in the
>> Main View Area? This one you could switch easily like day/week/month
>> view (perhaps tabs)! And the user would not have to care about whether
>> he is dealing with Tasks or Events. They are exposed alongside, on the
>> same level: And additional this also could provide some searching
>> capabilities that are still missing in Lightning.
>> But this is not my main point - just for discussion!
>
> This sounds interesting. Having a Tasks Tab would be a nice option, but
> with the disadvantage that same thing would behave different.
>
> For example. Switching from Mail to Calendar could be done by a single
> click. But for switching from Mail to Tasks users need to click the
> "Calendar" button, followed by the Task tab. Why shouldn't this behave
> in the way like switching from Mail to Calendar? Or are task
> intrinsically tied to events?

Why???
You have one Application with two parts: each one is handling its
special purpose. One for Mail (handling communication based topics), and
one for Tasks and events (handling time/planning related topics).
I think there would be no difference between Tasks and Events, they are
just on the same level!!!
If you switch from Calendaring to Mail, there is no guarantee that you
are already in the folder you want to see! So if you came from
Calendaring and want to mails in Folder XY you have to switch maybe from
the Inbox to the desired folder! Same would be with Calendar. Maybe you
have to press a second button to change to the desired day view!!!
So in general you always have to klick twice to change to your desired
view, if you only need one klick, it's just luck!!!

And the big win would be some kind of search capability!!!

>> 3. Concerning the additional Windows on the right side:
>> I hope this solution would be OPTIONAL!!!
>
> Yes, these would be optional. As shown in the mock-up these panes
> provide a closer, so it is very easy to get rid of them.

OK, but where would my agenda appear if I close this additional pane???
It should be possible to display it in the left hand pane (maybe bottom
or top), if I want to!
Then I have all time/planning related things if I switch to Calendaring
and all communication related things in the Mail Component.

> You loose very much horizontal
>> space (what is very precious!!!) and I don't want to have all my tasks
>> (ToDo) appearing when I'm reading Mail!
>
> 16:10 is your friend ;-)
>

>> Why would you always expose ToDos? You wouldn't do this for Events,
>> wouldn't you? I think they should be somehow on the same level of
>> Exposure to the user.
>
>> If Someone wants to read mail he uses the mail modus, and if he wants
>> to see his Agenda or ToDos/Events he should switch (press one button)
>> to Calendaring and/or Task view (meaning the from me so called "Modus").
>
> For me (personally) it is very convenient to have the Agende pane always
> visible. Most of the time I'm working with e-mail not with calendaring.
> But I agree, todos seem to be to unimportant to have them displayed
> initially.

If you prefer, why not! Use this "dockable" pane, but please do not
force all users to do so!!!

>> So from my point of view it would be a good solution to take the
>> lefthand Pane from Sunbird and modify it in the way that you pull out
>> the Tasks (to a separate "modus" or into an additional view - see
>> above) and use vertical space to arrange the calendar list
>> (groupable), the Minimonth and the Agenda somehow! And in this way (if
>> you win the space from the docking windows on the right side) the
>> width of the Agenda could even be a little bit increased, what makes
>> it more informative.
>>
>> But, why not, if the user feel comfortable he could dock an additional
>> Agenda and/or ToDo list (then perhaps minimizing/hiding the standard
>> one   on the left hand pane. Additional, what would be very
>> interesting, is another "Modus" (perhaps called Today) grouping some
>> overview
>
> Yeah, an overview/welcome page, cool designed, would be really nice.
>
>> Information like how many new Mails, the Agenda, important ToDos,...
>> whatever you could think of. See Outlook, Evolution,...
>>
>> Best regards and happy discussions!
>>
>> Matthias
ISO
11/10/2006 4:22:48 PM
Christian Jansen wrote:

> This sounds interesting. Having a Tasks Tab would be a nice option, but
> with the disadvantage that same thing would behave different.
>
> For example. Switching from Mail to Calendar could be done by a single
> click. But for switching from Mail to Tasks users need to click the
> "Calendar" button, followed by the Task tab. Why shouldn't this behave
> in the way like switching from Mail to Calendar? Or are task
> intrinsically tied to events?

I have mixed feelings about this.  Often times, tasks are really
unscheduled events (iCal's ease of scheduling by dropping from the task
list into the calendar is really nice).  On the other hand, they are
currently stored as part of a "Calendar".

>> 3. Concerning the additional Windows on the right side:
>> I hope this solution would be OPTIONAL!!!
>
> Yes, these would be optional. As shown in the mock-up these panes
> provide a closer, so it is very easy to get rid of them.

I think it's important that the user should have a good user experience
without having anything in the right column so that we can play nicely
on smaller screens.  The main implication of this in the current mockups
is that it strikes me that the Agenda should stay in the left-hand pane
of mail mode.

> You loose very much horizontal
>> space (what is very precious!!!) and I don't want to have all my tasks
>> (ToDo) appearing when I'm reading Mail!
>
> 16:10 is your friend ;-)

We do need to make some sort of decision on the minimum screen size we
support.  Without any particular data in hand, I speculate that we need
to do well at least on 1024x768, maybe on even smaller screens.  It
would be interesting to get some sort of understanding of the
distribution of laptop screen size as well what Thunderbird claims to
support.

One thing we need to do is decide what we think about the various
different Thunderbird layouts.  Right now, all we support is the default
layout, and we could certainly stick to that.  However, a reasonable way
to address some of the space questions that we're discussing right now
might be to have different behaviors for the three different Thunderbird
layouts.

>> Why would you always expose ToDos? You wouldn't do this for Events,
>> wouldn't you? I think they should be somehow on the same level of
>> Exposure to the user.
>
>> If Someone wants to read mail he uses the mail modus, and if he wants
>> to see his Agenda or ToDos/Events he should switch (press one button)
>> to Calendaring and/or Task view (meaning the from me so called "Modus").
>
> For me (personally) it is very convenient to have the Agende pane always
> visible. Most of the time I'm working with e-mail not with calendaring.
> But I agree, todos seem to be to unimportant to have them displayed
> initially.

Worth keeping in mind is that the Agenda does display Todos, though not
ones that don't have any dates.  So I tend to agree that a separate ToDo
box is less important here.

Dan
0
Dan
11/28/2006 4:15:35 AM
Matthias Sch�fer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some points for discussion concerning:
>
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Improving_the_Calendar_Views
>
> First of all: this locks great to me - please go forward in this
> direction! And thanks for this nice little ASCII arts!

Agreed; these mock ups feel like they're on the right track.  Nice work,
Christian!

> 1. I think its great to have just one surface, either Calendaring or
> Mail (including all toolbar buttons and so on) exposed at one time, and
> easily switch between them by just klicking one button (what will hide
> all non usable toolbar buttons and so on).

Whatever affordance is used for mode switching, I think this is in many
ways equivalent to how tabs are used in Firefox.  I tend to feel that we
should go one step closer to Firefox, and make it easy for the user to
open the appropriate view in its own OS-level window.  This would be
handy for users with larger screens to view both the Calendar and Mail
views simultaneously (something I often want to do).

A few other random thoughts about the wiki proposals:

* calendar mode probably (eventually) wants a notifications box, a la
iCal.  Mail mode might want this too, or it could just be a separate
node in the Agenda tree.

* the work vs. home may want to eventually be consistent across all
views (i.e. if I'm on vacation, I may well not want to see any
work-related calendar entries, mail or tasks).

* I almost wonder if "Tasks" mode really wants to be "List" mode.  In
particular, the bigger tasks view is always going to be a list, much
like the unifinder already is today.  This goes back to Joey's wiki
proposals, IIRC.  I'm not sure what the right thing here is.

Anyway, I'm now back to vacationing; I plan to be back to work a week
from today (Monday, December 4).

Dan
0
Dan
11/28/2006 4:46:46 AM
Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Christian Jansen wrote:
>>
>> This sounds interesting. Having a Tasks Tab would be a nice option,
>> but with the disadvantage that same thing would behave different.
>>
>> For example. Switching from Mail to Calendar could be done by a single
>> click. But for switching from Mail to Tasks users need to click the
>> "Calendar" button, followed by the Task tab. Why shouldn't this behave
>> in the way like switching from Mail to Calendar? Or are task
>> intrinsically tied to events?
>
> I have mixed feelings about this.  Often times, tasks are really
> unscheduled events (iCal's ease of scheduling by dropping from the task
> list into the calendar is really nice).  On the other hand, they are
> currently stored as part of a "Calendar".
I agree with Dan's position here, and it doesn't strike me as 'the same
thing behaving differently'.  My calendar is at least half 'tasks'
(mostly homework, review requests, and household chores) that I then
schedule around the fixed events (classes, meetings, etc).  Breaking out
tasks as separate from my calendar would seem very weird to me.

>>> 3. Concerning the additional Windows on the right side:
>>> I hope this solution would be OPTIONAL!!!
>>
>> Yes, these would be optional. As shown in the mock-up these panes
>> provide a closer, so it is very easy to get rid of them.
>
> I think it's important that the user should have a good user experience
> without having anything in the right column so that we can play nicely
> on smaller screens.  The main implication of this in the current mockups
> is that it strikes me that the Agenda should stay in the left-hand pane
> of mail mode.

Let me add another vote strongly in favor of this.  I find the
right-panel quite distracting and a case of information overload.  I'd
want to be able to use the calendar effectively without having it turned on.

-Joey
0
Joey
11/28/2006 4:15:06 PM
Joey Minta wrote:
> I agree with Dan's position here, and it doesn't strike me as 'the same
> thing behaving differently'.  My calendar is at least half 'tasks'
> (mostly homework, review requests, and household chores) that I then
> schedule around the fixed events (classes, meetings, etc).  Breaking out
> tasks as separate from my calendar would seem very weird to me.

Let's not have this discussion here. There is a thread for discussiong
what a task is. Repeating all the arguments here won't make things any
easier to follow...

Michiel
0
Michiel
11/28/2006 7:35:46 PM
Then perhaps that's a sign that this discussion is a bit pre-mature,
absent a conclusion from the tasks/events thread.  If we are to only
have Mail and Calendar (without Tasks), then the arguments made against
a tabbed interface disappear and suggest that we should move away from
this weird rectangle-control widget suggested.

In other words, I'd submit that the event/tasks discussion has a very
important effect on this discussion, and that trying to resolve it
without a conclusion on events/tasks could easily lead to problems later on.

-Joey
0
Joey
11/28/2006 8:46:16 PM
Joey Minta wrote:
> Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> Christian Jansen wrote:
>>>
>>> This sounds interesting. Having a Tasks Tab would be a nice option,
>>> but with the disadvantage that same thing would behave different.
>>>
>>> For example. Switching from Mail to Calendar could be done by a
>>> single click. But for switching from Mail to Tasks users need to
>>> click the "Calendar" button, followed by the Task tab. Why shouldn't
>>> this behave in the way like switching from Mail to Calendar? Or are
>>> task intrinsically tied to events?
>>
>> I have mixed feelings about this.  Often times, tasks are really
>> unscheduled events (iCal's ease of scheduling by dropping from the
>> task list into the calendar is really nice).  On the other hand, they
>> are currently stored as part of a "Calendar".
> I agree with Dan's position here, and it doesn't strike me as 'the same
> thing behaving differently'.  My calendar is at least half 'tasks'
> (mostly homework, review requests, and household chores) that I then
> schedule around the fixed events (classes, meetings, etc).  Breaking out
> tasks as separate from my calendar would seem very weird to me.

>>> Yes, these would be optional. As shown in the mock-up these panes
>>> provide a closer, so it is very easy to get rid of them.
>>
>> I think it's important that the user should have a good user
>> experience without having anything in the right column so that we can
>> play nicely on smaller screens.  The main implication of this in the
>> current mockups is that it strikes me that the Agenda should stay in
>> the left-hand pane of mail mode.

Ok, but our users are telling us something different. They' are saying
(even in this ML) that the tabbed interface (Agenda, Todo, Calendar) +
plus the mini month consumes too much vertical space.

> Let me add another vote strongly in favor of this.  I find the
> right-panel quite distracting and a case of information overload.

Having the mail tree visible while working in the calendar is no
information overload?

-Christian

> -Joey
0
Christian
11/29/2006 8:37:23 AM
Matthias Sch�fer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some points for discussion concerning:
>
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Improving_the_Calendar_Views

[...]

Hi,
I would like to thank all of you for your valuable feedback.
But I have to say that my overall impression is that we're not moving
really forward.

The discussion moves more and more into a details discussion. But I'd be
happy to see some agreement on higher level first, before we start
talking about the details. For example:

- Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
   between Mail & Calendar?
- If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable

- Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?

- Is there willingness to move the tabs (Agenda, Todo/Calendar)?

Thanks,
Christian
0
Christian
11/29/2006 9:24:15 AM
Christian Jansen wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to thank all of you for your valuable feedback.
> But I have to say that my overall impression is that we're not moving
> really forward.
>
> The discussion moves more and more into a details discussion. But I'd be
> happy to see some agreement on higher level first, before we start
> talking about the details. For example:
>
> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>    between Mail & Calendar?

Definitely. This is a *very* common user suggestion that we should
definitely integrate.

> - If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable

You probably mean "expandable", right?

Yes, this should be expandable.

> - Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?

I don't like the tab approach, since you lose too much vertical space
with that approach. I really think that moving to a tabbed interface
for the different views is like solving a problem that does not exist,
since having the view options in the toolbar seems to be a perfectly
usable situation for me.

Looking at your ascii mockups on the wiki, I don't really like the
situation with the agenda in the mail and task screen and the todo
list in the mail and calendar screen. Therefore I added my slightly
edited own version to that page.

Cya
Simon

0
Simon
11/29/2006 4:20:52 PM
Christian Jansen wrote:
> I would like to thank all of you for your valuable feedback.
> But I have to say that my overall impression is that we're not moving
> really forward.
I also feel this is true.

> The discussion moves more and more into a details discussion. But I'd be
> happy to see some agreement on higher level first, before we start
> talking about the details. For example:
>
> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>   between Mail & Calendar?
Yes, absolutely.
We likely also want the ability to see an email while looking at a
calendar view, so a user can determine when whatever's being proposed
(not via iMIP/iTIP) in the email can fit into their schedule.

> - If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable
If you truly mean expendable, as in "throw-away", I think the lack of
agreement in this thread already points out that we're very unlikely to
come up with a solution that pleases everyone on our first attempt.
Anything is expendable, and user feedback would go a long way to helping
us make better decisions.

If you mean expAndable, I'm not sure I understand how expandability
plays into this decision.

> - Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?
Tabs are one way to do it. Another is adding buttons to the Tb toolbar
by default. I wouldn't mind seeing how this looks with tabs.

> - Is there willingness to move the tabs (Agenda, Todo/Calendar)?
I think we _should_ move that in some fashion. The minimonth is
obviously a vertical space eater.  I'm open to proposals here.

-lilmatt
0
Matthew
11/29/2006 4:34:25 PM
Christian Jansen wrote:
> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>   between Mail & Calendar?
Ofcourse. Else you would be stuck in calendar forever. In other words, I
don't really understand the question.

> - If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable
What do you mean with expandable? You mean like the sidebar you
proposed? I think that looks good. It saves a lot of space.

> - Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?

I'm not so sure about that. Switching to a different view is like
zooming in or zooming out. The different views are not independent. But
in for example firefox, the tabs are independent. So i'm afraid that
using tabs for the views breaks the usual model used in tabs.

For now, we could stick to toolbar buttons, right? Especially if we
create a way to have the toolbars in tb/ltn depend on the choosen 'mode'
(calendar or mail/news)

> - Is there willingness to move the tabs (Agenda, Todo/Calendar)?

Yes. Very much. They are not placed logically at all at the moment.

Michiel
0
Michiel
11/29/2006 5:27:57 PM
Christian Jansen wrote:
> Ok, but our users are telling us something different. They' are saying
> (even in this ML) that the tabbed interface (Agenda, Todo, Calendar) +
> plus the mini month consumes too much vertical space.
Yes, because it's occupying space for calendar items where they are
trying to manage their mail folders.  That tells me that perhaps we
should be hiding 1 or the other (or both of these) when the user is in
mail mode, not that we should move them to another sidebar, where I
suspect we'll have users equally complain about it taking up too much
horizontal space.

My suggestion would be: Hide the agenda/tasks/calendar list when in
mail-mode, leaving the minimonth in the bottom left.  This minimonth
then can be a drop-target for mails.  Coloring the minimonth, based on
availability, then gives the needed calendar-context while viewing mail,
while reducing vertical space occupied.  Once a calendar view is shown,
the agenda/tasks/calendars can return.  (And perhaps the calendar list
should then replace the mail-folders list)

> Having the mail tree visible while working in the calendar is no
> information overload?
If by mail tree you mean the list of accounts/folders then my answer is
that I find it virtually useless in the calendar mode, but not
information overload, because it conveys almost no information at all.

-Joey
0
Joey
11/29/2006 7:02:16 PM
> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>   between Mail & Calendar?
> - If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable

I want to correct this Freudian slip ;-) I meant exTendable. For example
adding another button for switching into a third or fourth mode.

- Christian

> - Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?
>
> - Is there willingness to move the tabs (Agenda, Todo/Calendar)?
>
> Thanks,
> Christian
0
Christian
11/30/2006 8:21:06 AM
Simon Paquet schrieb:
> Christian Jansen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to thank all of you for your valuable feedback.
>> But I have to say that my overall impression is that we're not moving
>> really forward.
>>
>> The discussion moves more and more into a details discussion. But I'd be
>> happy to see some agreement on higher level first, before we start
>> talking about the details. For example:
>>
>> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>>    between Mail & Calendar?
>
> Definitely. This is a *very* common user suggestion that we should
> definitely integrate.
>
>> - If yes, do we want to have a solution which is expendable
>
> You probably mean "expandable", right?
>
> Yes, this should be expandable.
>
>> - Should it be possible to switch between Day/Week/Month by using tabs?
>
> I don't like the tab approach, since you lose too much vertical space
> with that approach. I really think that moving to a tabbed interface
> for the different views is like solving a problem that does not exist,
> since having the view options in the toolbar seems to be a perfectly
> usable situation for me.

Ok. We make the toolbar items visible by default.

> Looking at your ascii mockups on the wiki, I don't really like the
> situation with the agenda in the mail and task screen and the todo
> list in the mail and calendar screen. Therefore I added my slightly
> edited own version to that page.

Thanks :-) I'll take a look at these.

- Christian
> Cya
> Simon

0
Christian
11/30/2006 8:43:21 AM
Matthew Willis wrote:

>> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>>   between Mail & Calendar?
>
> Yes, absolutely.

I agree.

> We likely also want the ability to see an email while looking at a
> calendar view, so a user can determine when whatever's being proposed
> (not via iMIP/iTIP) in the email can fit into their schedule.

This would not fit into our mode switching model. What we could do
is adding the minimonth to the mail mode.

0
Simon
12/1/2006 10:15:24 AM
Simon Paquet wrote:
> Matthew Willis wrote:
>
>>> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>>>   between Mail & Calendar?
>> Yes, absolutely.
>
> I agree.
>
>> We likely also want the ability to see an email while looking at a
>> calendar view, so a user can determine when whatever's being proposed
>> (not via iMIP/iTIP) in the email can fit into their schedule.
>
> This would not fit into our mode switching model. What we could do
> is adding the minimonth to the mail mode.

I think a mini-month would not really help in that case. The mini-month
only tell me that have an events at day XYZ. It neither provides
information about the event duration, nor about the number of events at
day XYZ.

May, we want to have something like a mini calendar....

  <    This Week     >
-----------------------
    8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 5
MO |X| |X|X| | | | | |
-----------------------
TU | | | | | |X|X| | |
-----------------------
WE | | | | | |X| | | |

Regards,
Christian

0
Christian
12/1/2006 3:30:12 PM
Simon Paquet wrote:
> Matthew Willis wrote:
>
>>> - Do we want to have a the possibility to switch
>>>   between Mail & Calendar?
>> Yes, absolutely.
>
> I agree.

Ig you all agree on this, can you please explain to me what it means?
What would not being able to switch between mail and calendar mean? That
you are stuck in mail and can't view your calendar? I just don't get it.

Michiel
0
Michiel
12/1/2006 6:32:53 PM
Matthew Willis wrote:
> We likely also want the ability to see an email while looking at a
> calendar view, so a user can determine when whatever's being proposed
> (not via iMIP/iTIP) in the email can fit into their schedule.

That's easy. Double-click the email in the thread pane, and it opens in
a new window.
And even if that's not perfect UI, it means that we can punt on solving
this issue, because there is a quite easy workaround.

Michiel
0
Michiel
12/1/2006 9:42:00 PM
Michiel van Leeuwen wrote:

>>> Yes, absolutely.
>>
>> I agree.
>
> If you all agree on this, can you please explain to me what it means?

For me it means that we have a clear distinction between a mail mode
and a calendar mode (different toolbars, different menus, etc.). It is
similar (although not equal) to the current situation with mail and
addressbook in Thunderbird.

Have you looked at the wiki proposals? I think they make this
distinction pretty clear.

> What would not being able to switch between mail and calendar mean?

It would either mean that you are stuck or that you have some kind of
mixup (current situation) with some UI elements that are
calendar-oriented and some that are mail-oriented. I believe that a
clear distinction is absolutely desirable.

Simon
--
Sunbird/Lightning Website Maintainer:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar
Simon Paquet wrote:
> For me it means that we have a clear distinction between a mail mode
> and a calendar mode (different toolbars, different menus, etc.). It is
> similar (although not equal) to the current situation with mail and
> addressbook in Thunderbird.

If it is distinction, that sounds like something we _don't_ want. The
entire idea of lightning was to create integration. If you want
separation, you can use sunbird.

Michiel
0
Michiel
12/10/2006 4:04:51 PM
And on the seventh day Michiel van Leeuwen spoke:

>> For me it means that we have a clear distinction between a mail mode
>> and a calendar mode (different toolbars, different menus, etc.). It is
>> similar (although not equal) to the current situation with mail and
>> addressbook in Thunderbird.
>
>If it is distinction, that sounds like something we _don't_ want. The
>entire idea of lightning was to create integration. If you want
>separation, you can use sunbird.

I don't think that we're at odds here. What we want is an integrated mail
& calendar app (a personal information manager if you want to call it
that) under the hood of Thunderbird.

But inside Thunderbird there needs to be some deeply integrated parts
(the proposal for the integration of calendar subscription into the TB
account manager comes to mind here) and some more clearly separated
parts.

For example I don't think that having the mail folders view on the left
and the calendar views to the right is the optimal UI solution as other
apps and user feedback seem to suggest.

Simon
--
Sunbird/Lightning Website Maintainer:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar
Sunbird/Calendar blog: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar
0
Simon
12/10/2006 9:01:21 PM
Simon Paquet wrote:
> I don't think that we're at odds here. What we want is an integrated mail
> & calendar app (a personal information manager if you want to call it
> that) under the hood of Thunderbird.

Yes, I agree with that. I was a bit confused when i wrote my previous
post. But that made me thing that we should define what we want with
lightning. So far, it mostly is 'an integrated calendar app inside
thunderbird'. But what does integrated mean? How does it play with
Thunderbird?

But to get back to the original question: I do like the proposed UI
changes. We do need to get work done here. And I now agree that we can
split the UI between mail and calendar (to some level)

Michiel
0
Michiel
12/11/2006 9:03:12 PM
Michiel van Leeuwen wrote:

> But to get back to the original question: I do like the proposed UI
> changes. We do need to get work done here. And I now agree that we can
> split the UI between mail and calendar (to some level)

As far as I can see we seem to have an agreement that the proposal
from Christian moves us to the right direction and that we should
definitely start development on it.

Does anyone disagree?

0
Simon
12/12/2006 10:00:15 AM
Simon Paquet wrote:
> As far as I can see we seem to have an agreement that the proposal
> from Christian moves us to the right direction and that we should
> definitely start development on it.
>
> Does anyone disagree?

Not I.
Patches welcome.

-lilmatt
0
Matthew
12/12/2006 6:47:18 PM
I've created a HTML-mockup [1] which illustrates the tab-box much better
than the ascii art [2]

To start the demo click the "Calendar" Tab.

Depending on the view, the toolbar should also change its content, but I
left this out for this demo.

Regards,
Christian

[1] http://cjansen.com/lightning-demo/accordion.htm
[2]
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Improving_the_Calendar_Views#Simon.27s_.28sipaq.29_approach

Matthew Willis wrote:
> Simon Paquet wrote:
>> As far as I can see we seem to have an agreement that the proposal
>> from Christian moves us to the right direction and that we should
>> definitely start development on it.
>>
>> Does anyone disagree?
>
> Not I.
> Patches welcome.
>
> -lilmatt
0
Christian
12/13/2006 4:36:08 PM
Christian Jansen escribi=F3:
> I've created a HTML-mockup [1] which illustrates the tab-box much bette=
> than the ascii art [2]
>=20
> To start the demo click the "Calendar" Tab.
>=20
> Depending on the view, the toolbar should also change its content, but =
> left this out for this demo.
>=20

Wow, nice demo! :-)

I see a problem, though (not with this solution, but with the overall
design approach). It seems that it is taken for granted that no one
will be using the "wide" view, in which the message content pane
expands from left to right in Thunderbird window. With the wide
layout, Calendar view would still be too tall.

The only solution I can think of would be to allow two simultaneouly
opened Thunderbird windows, in which one would be used for mail and
the other one for calendaring, like it can be done with SeaMonkey.

And, to be honest, this is not a problem for me right now, because I
use SeaMonkey and so I'm forced to use Sunbird instead of Lightning,
but when SeaMonkey 1.5 gets released using the new toolkit, this could
become a problem if the sliding bars (Mail, Calendar, Summary) are too
thick.

JMO

--=20
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?
0
Ricardo
12/13/2006 5:27:58 PM
agreed, it doesn't seem other Tb 3 pane views are handled well by=20
Lightning.  the wide message list view (experimental in Tb2) for another =

example.

it's a rather important, and preliminary, design issue to get figured=20
out - how Lighting behaves in the Tb 'box'.

---On 2006.Dec.13 12:27 PM, Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:
> Christian Jansen escribi=EF=BF=BD:
>> I've created a HTML-mockup [1] which illustrates the tab-box much bett=
er
>> than the ascii art [2]
>>
>> To start the demo click the "Calendar" Tab.
>>
>> Depending on the view, the toolbar should also change its content, but=
>> left this out for this demo.
>>
>=20
>=20
> Wow, nice demo! :-)
>=20
> I see a problem, though (not with this solution, but with the overall
> design approach). It seems that it is taken for granted that no one
> will be using the "wide" view, in which the message content pane
> expands from left to right in Thunderbird window. With the wide
> layout, Calendar view would still be too tall.
>=20
> The only solution I can think of would be to allow two simultaneouly
> opened Thunderbird windows, in which one would be used for mail and
> the other one for calendaring, like it can be done with SeaMonkey.
>=20
> And, to be honest, this is not a problem for me right now, because I
> use SeaMonkey and so I'm forced to use Sunbird instead of Lightning,
> but when SeaMonkey 1.5 gets released using the new toolkit, this could
> become a problem if the sliding bars (Mail, Calendar, Summary) are too
> thick.
>=20
> JMO
>=20
0
alta88

Calendar View Week and Calendar
Hi, after Upgrade to GW 7.0.2 (from 6.5) we have a Problem with the Calender View "Week and Calendar". This is our Default Calendar View and look fine when we open the Calendar with the Calendar Icon on the left Site in Groupwise(Folder View). Wee see then on the left Site of the Calendar 3 ore 4 Month and 7 Day's of the Week. But when we try to open this View with help of the "Calendar" Button on the Symbolborder, we see only one Month on the Calendar witch besides overlab the Hours. This looks like to be a different view. How can i change this ...

view Calendar of other user (muti-user calendar view)
I am looking for a way to view other user's calendar. I understand that I can do this with Multi-user Calendar. However, it allows me to view in "Day" only. Is there any way to see other's calendar in different format such as Weeks, months, etc.? -- anlong ------------------------------------------------------------------------ * anlong, you sure? IIRC you can set different views even in the multiuser calendar. Open the external calendar window and proxy into the other user's account from there. Uwe -- Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP) ...

Shared calendar viewed in main calendar
Is it true that I can't see a calendar which is shared to me in my main calendar? There isn't a checkbox in order to filter the shared calendars. Thanks, Peter > Is it true that I can't see a calendar which is shared to me in my main > calendar? Yes. It is one shared calender at a time... > There isn't a checkbox in order to filter the shared calendars. AFAIK, this is planned for the next version of GW. Georg This is very disappointing. We see shared calendars as team calendars and I don't know any reason why they shouldn't be display...

View My Calendar & Other Calendar in a Blog
Code generated to view My Calendar or to view an additional calendar(s), but not both at the same time. For example, I see holidays on my Google Calendar when the check mark to the left of the calendar dialog is checked. Although calendars are combined there that are not in the web view of the calendars, i.e., I cannot see both at the same time. Has anyone found a way to have both display within a blog? Jim, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem bee...

After viewing calendar, Mailbox displays calendar
I have one user that is having this issue. When they click the calendar and go back to the Mailbox the calendar is still displayed. She has to go to View > Display Settings and select Details to get back to her normal view. What could be causing this, and more importantly, how can I fix it? Thanks Todd -- tjetzer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ --____DTRGGTNLHQQBOFBWMZRE____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue,...

Thunderbird Calendar with Exchange 2003 Calendar and Public Folders Calendar
Hi all, I'm looking high and low for any way to make Thunderbird Calendar read/edit my Exchange calendar and/or a calendar on our Exchange public folders. So far I'm having no luck. Has anybody had any luck with this? I'd also be open to using any free/open source utility that could read/edit these calendars. Regards, jd ...

Make Calendar or Sunbird Default Calendar App
Using Windows XP Pro, I do not see Sunbord or Calendar in the list for Default Applications. When I go to Internet Properties, click Programs, Select down arror next to calendar Outlook is my only option. Should Sunbord or Calendar be there? bstancil@gmail.com wrote: > Using Windows XP Pro, I do not see Sunbord or Calendar in the list for > Default Applications. When I go to Internet Properties, click > Programs, Select down arror next to calendar Outlook is my only option. > Should Sunbord or Calendar be there? > "Internet Properties" are in fact t...

Entering Calendar items in Calendar View (created folder)
--____BKMUXWXTICLFBNGVQBIO____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Several employees would like to create additional calendars that they can = use for specific projects or departments....without creating a new = GroupWise account for the calendar. I've shown them how to create a new folder with the view set to = Calendar.=20 But..anytime an item is posted, it is also posted on their own Calendar = folder. Is there a way to post items ONLY on the newly created calendar folder? Thank you, Trish --____BKMUXWXTICLF...

Print Calendar in Checklist view, or export Calendar to Excel?
I have a user who keeps tons of info on her Calendar - meetings and rentals of buildings for our school district. She would like to print a daily listing in Checklist View. I cannot find a way to do that. Is there a way? If not, is there a way to export a day's or week's or month's Calendar items into Excel with Subject, Time, Date, etc included? Thanks, Dave Olson Dave, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not,...

Having a public calendar for the calendar team
Hi all, We talked about doing this before the 0.3 release, got busy and shelved the idea. Just the other day, I was asked about this on IRC, so I'm going to bring it up again. Should we have a public calendar detailing events of the Sunbird/Lightning effort? I think so. The main questions (in my mind) are: * Where should it be hosted? There was some talk of using the public Cosmo server for this at one point, we even experimented with putting one on the wiki.mozilla.org site as well. I'm certain there are many good ideas. * Who will update it? I think it should b...

My Calendar and Team (Role) Calendar
Are there any modules that show Events/Calendars with two different views: i) All entries ii) My entries only?Jonathan Palmer ...

Events sync'ed from Lightning HOME calendar to G-calendar using Provider for Google calendar don't transfer up to Google server calendar
Hi, I'm running T'bird 17.0.2, Lightning 1.9, Provider for Google Calendar = 0.18 on multiple PCs running Window 7 Home Premium (64bit) and want to keep= calendars in sync... I have 2 calendars showing on Lightning - the original Lightning Home calen= dar and the downloaded Google calendar (G-cal). I am finding that entries = I make directly into the G-cal in Lightning transfer up to Google and back = to another PC without problem. Also, if I make an entry in the Lightning H= ome calendar and hit the sync button it apears in the G-cal in Lightning bu= t it does not transfe...

asp:Calendar or any calendar control....
Hi, I would like to put a calendar on my webpage that informs users of special events coming up.  I would like the users to be able to mouse over a date and for a balloon or something to pop up and inform them of any events on that date. How do I go about writing the code for something like this?  Thank you. Hi kmj2384, U can dynamically add any Html tag to Calendar Contol Cell from DayRender Method. U can use e.Cell.Text  = <Dynamically Generated Html DATA> in DayRender method. In the HTML u can put onmouseover and onmouseout to hide and show any div. I hope...

Hijri Calendar in Calendar Extender
I'm using some calendar extender controls in my ASP.NET 2.0 website but i would like for them to show the Hijri calender in the control even if the value inserted into the textbox after choosing a date in Gregorian . I've searched the forums and i found this post http://forums.asp.net/p/1244824/2284455.aspx i tried the way explained there but i only got the month in Hijri the year and days remained in Gregorian. Any way to fix this?   Thanks any help? After some search on the Internet it looks like the Calendar Extender doesn't support fully the Hijri Calendar ye...

Web resources about - Calendar:Improving the Calendar Views - mozilla.dev.apps.calendar