XP question

XP machine has gone "berserk" downloading
and installing SP's / updates etc.  Has gotten itself
to the point where it's almost useless.
Any process takes "forever"
Thinking of uninstalling all SP's etc and starting over.
Any tips, advice etc.
A clean "reinstall" is not really an option at this time.

Or, should I just uninstall Norton System "Slow works"
and go with AVG??

tia
--
95isalive
This site is best viewed..................

If your machine really has gone "berserk", and you cannot at least identify
the cause of the problem, you have no choice but to reinstall (preferably
clean install).

Quinoa S

"95isalive" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote in message
> XP machine has gone "berserk" downloading
> and installing SP's / updates etc.  Has gotten itself
> to the point where it's almost useless.
> Any process takes "forever"
> Thinking of uninstalling all SP's etc and starting over.
> Any tips, advice etc.
> A clean "reinstall" is not really an option at this time.
>
> Or, should I just uninstall Norton System "Slow works"
> and go with AVG??
>
> tia
> --
> 95isalive
> This site is best viewed..................
> ..............................with a computer

0
Quinoa
5/6/2003 3:38:00 PM
First try uninstalling M$ security patch 811493. That is an
acknowledged troublemaker of exactly the type you
describe.  I had big problems with it on XPSP1, as have many others.
M$ has downgraded it from a critical update and posted an advisory
about it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634
It has been reported that Tech TV says after uninstalling it,
if you turn off your virus scanner and reinstall all is well.
I can't confirm that as I never reinstalled it.

> "95isalive" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote in message
> > XP machine has gone "berserk" downloading
> > and installing SP's / updates etc.  Has gotten itself
> > to the point where it's almost useless.
> > Any process takes "forever"
> > Thinking of uninstalling all SP's etc and starting over.
> > Any tips, advice etc.
> > A clean "reinstall" is not really an option at this time.
> >
> > Or, should I just uninstall Norton System "Slow works"
> > and go with AVG??
0
Pen

windows ME questions, questions, questions.......
Hi, my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my work, so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred 98 SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the Windows ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor FDisk. Is this really possible? No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage working with licensed software only. Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS? Will I be able to ...

XP Question
Anyone know of a utility that will record what files / folders / registry keys an application accesses when it is starting? Do you also know if it is possible to list what permissions it needs to access the files e.g. administrator permissions or user permissions? Thanks. go to ms site - search sysinternals - lotsa gadgets like procmon, psmon, filemon, regmon -- http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog sysinternals regmon/filemon -- http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals - "Arthur" <Arthur@Novell.com> wrote in message news:6kezj.7230$Ec...

XP questions...
I just switched to XP SP1 Professional-slowly getting the hang of it...just wanted to know a few things... 1) I've noticed that it shows zip files along with folders in the tree pane of Explorer-even if u have winzip installed for handling zip files by default. How do u prevent them from coming in the tree pane? 2) Anyone seen a theme for xp that resembles Sun Java's Swing interface? (If you've used Morpheus P2P software-it has a 'java' skin-thats the kind of theme im looking for) 3) How does one turn off msn (or rather windows) messenger?? i haven't told it to...

XP question.
Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user account names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks. On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:49:10 +0000, John wrote: > Is there a simple way to list all the user profile folders or user account > names on an XP PC that can be used in a batch file? Thanks. um, dir "c:\documents and settings" ? -- Joe "Mostly me, mostly you." I'll research that tonight. -- Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Joseph Marton wrote: > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:49:...

XP Question
Not sure which group to post this in. Anyway, does anyone know how to startup windows XP without showing windows screens? I want the pc to start up without showing any microsoft specific stuff. How to do that? Any hints? I know how to bypass the login screen, but before that there is a windows screen with a progress bar.. Thanks, Totte Il Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:59:12 -0700, totte karlsson <tottek@gmail.com> ha scritto: >Not sure which group to post this in. > >Anyway, does anyone know how to startup windows XP without showing windows >screens? I want the p...

Question about questions
Name: Edward Newill Email: ernewillatyahoodotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Question about questions Comments: Is there an email address that I can send a question too? I could not find one in the Service area of your site. I would like to know how I create signatures for my Thunderbird email? Best regards, E. Newill Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

XP Question
Is it normal to get a process accessing the net without giving it access through ZoneAlarm??? It only seems to happen when I give IE6 access to the net. The process is 69? and 712 I have had a Trojen active on my system but have re-installed with XP since and have run a complete check with AVG and nothing has shown up. any ideas??? Kaos <kaos@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >Is it normal to get a process accessing the net without giving it access >through ZoneAlarm??? > >It only seems to happen when I give IE6 access to the net. > >The process is 69? an...

xp question
I ran across some info (rumor?) that xp came w/ spyware/adware? Sounds like smart tags to me?? Is anyone aware of other inclusions w/ xp? Thanks in advance >>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "Taylors" <starksuggs@charter.net> >>Newsgroups: grc.spyware >>Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 8:29 AM >>Subject: xp question >>I ran across some info (rumor?) that xp came w/ spyware/adware? Sounds like >>smart tags to me?? Is anyone aware of other inclusions w/ xp? I guess it depends on your point of view. Microsoft prob...

XP privacy question
I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to review privacy concerns with XP. I have searched for sites pertaining to this matter but most are from 2001. I would like to provide him with some more recent updated sites for him to read. Would anyone happen to have links to sites of this nature? TIA (That's Thank You In Advance rather than Total Information Awareness! lol) In article <at333m$1vj2$1@news.grc.com>, Dave says... >I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to >review privacy concerns with XP. I...

XP server question
If I have resource allocation in my share library which will be link with ESP, when can I release those resources I have allocated? For instance, I have a share library called examples.so contains xp_echo function which is built by OS function(BTW this is sybase sample), I have created a procedure call xp_echo by isql command "create procedure xp_echo @in varchar(255) as external name "examples.so", so I can call this procedure from isql. Up to now everything goes well, then I expanded this function a little bit to let it do more work, it will connect with another ...

XP question. #2
I need to run a batch file with administrator rights when users without administrator rights log on to the local PC. Is there any freeware programs that will do this that you know of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I think I have it sorted. "Arthur" wrote in message news:OHBcr.7098$V43.2381@kovat.provo.novell.com... I need to run a batch file with administrator rights when users without administrator rights log on to the local PC. Is there any freeware programs that will do this that you know of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Not offhand ...

XP Account question
Using XP Pro. Is there a way to setup an account for File Sharing but pevent it from being used at the Console? JC schreef: > Using XP Pro. > > Is there a way to setup an account for File Sharing but pevent it from > being used at the Console? Sure. Open regedit with administrator rights and got to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList Right click in right pane / create / new / DWORD Give the new value the name of the account you want to hide and set value to 0. Now you don't see it on the wel...

XP permissions question
On XPh I'm trying to install a program that needs to be set for 'all users' but it keeps barking "access denied". If I go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users in explorer is barks the same error. My login is definitely Administrator and I've checked all the permission stuff I can find but so far I haven't found any settings that help. Is there a way to drill down to advanced user permissions in XP like you can in W2k? -- -Scott Lab1 wrote: > On XPh I'm trying to install a program that needs to be set for 'all > users' but ...

XP Security Questions
I recently installed XP pro on both my new box and the old that I'm taking to my mother-in-law in a few days. I have 2 days on this OS and have 2 to go before I have to explain it to "mom". I'm new to NT OS's in general and XP's GUI is a new XPeriance to say the least. I have enabled the ICF with default settings. I would like/prefer to run ZAF as I am familiar with this app. Can I run both? What other loose ends do I need to tie up. Having trouble seeing the forest because of the trees! Any help much appreciated, TIA, ~cat~ At one stage I did run Z...

Web resources about - XP question - grc.techtalk

Ohio Removes Question About Driver's Licenses From Job Form
Ohio has removed the question asking job applicants if they have a driver's license from the state's online hiring system.

Questions About the National Guard: Clarification on Title 10 Versus Title 32
Several questions have arisen over the past few days about whether the National Guard could be mobilized by the Oregon governor and sent to Harney ...

All-inclusive honeymoon destinations and other travel questions answered
Q: My nephew is getting married in August and has asked for my help planning his honeymoon to the Caribbean. He doesn’t have a lot of money to ...

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ script reveals answers to our burning questions
One of the things many of us did this Christmas was see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters. The first movie in the new Star Wars saga is ...

"When Chris Wallace asks Bush if he squandered his initial advantage by failing to come up with a 'message' ...
"... which the media cares about more than he does. Instead, Bush wants to talk about how he's 'on the ballot in every state,' which is 'hard' ...

At Some Point Something Will Make Everyone Question If They Still Want To Acquiesce To A Lesser-Of-Two ...
I keep seeing one of those annoying automated spam tweets-on-endless-repeat from The Hill : "Billionaire George Soros said he regretted backing ...

Question #6 for 2015: Will real wages increase in 2016?
Earlier I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'll try to add some thoughts, and maybe some predictions for ...

Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ...
Chippewa Herald Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ... Chippewa Herald Replacing stellar safeties Michael ...

Seven questions to help you keep your New Year resolutions
We know from bitter experience that New Year's resolutions seem to disappear faster than a cold turkey sandwich. Have you made your New Year's ...