windows ME questions, questions, questions.......

Hi,

my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my work,
so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred 98
SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the Windows
ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden
partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor FDisk.
Is this really possible?

No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage working
with licensed software only.
Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS?
Will I be able to repartition the disk with Partition Magic Pro to make it a
dual boot, I am planning to co-install Linux (RH 7.1). This must  (ofcourse)
be able without destroying the 'hidden partition'.

My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this is not
possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on the PM
site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.

Enough questions for now,

regards,

Fokke Zwaan

e-mail: fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl
home page: http://home.wxs.nl/~fokke.zwaan
0
Fokke
5/5/2001 8:45:00 PM
grc.techtalk 27358 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 Replies
3768 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

PM version 6 works with ME  prior versions don't.
I don't know if PM will see the hidden partition or not.  I am not
familiar with that method of installation.
CK
"Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> wrote in message
news:nQx0zRa1AHA.1900@colossus.SMG...
> Hi,
>
> my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my
work,
> so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred
98
> SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the
Windows
> ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden
> partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor
FDisk.
> Is this really possible?
>
> No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage
working
> with licensed software only.
> Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS?
> Will I be able to repartition the disk with Partition Magic Pro to
make it a
> dual boot, I am planning to co-install Linux (RH 7.1). This must
(ofcourse)
> be able without destroying the 'hidden partition'.
>
> My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this
is not
> possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on
the PM
> site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.
>
> Enough questions for now,
>
> regards,
>
> Fokke Zwaan
>
> e-mail: fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl
> home page: http://home.wxs.nl/~fokke.zwaan
>
>
>
>
>
0
CK
5/5/2001 9:01:00 PM
"Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:nQx0zRa1AHA.1900@colossus.SMG...

| My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this is
not
| possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on the
PM
| site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.

Hi Fokke,

maybe this helps (no personal experience)
http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/

HiMan
0
HiMan
5/5/2001 9:37:00 PM
>My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this is not
>possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on the PM
>site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.

Use the two floppy "rescue disk" pair. That contains the DOS version of PM
and is fully functional, although it doesn't have any "wizards." You can
also run the DOS version from the PM CD, if you have a boot floppy with CD
drivers.
--
Dave "Crash" Dummy
Dave@gpick.net
0
Crash
5/5/2001 9:55:00 PM
Ah,

my brain must have been empty, not thinking of this..........

thanx,

Fokke


""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
news:fjHQq5a1AHA.1660@colossus.SMG...
>
> Use the two floppy "rescue disk" pair. That contains the DOS version of PM
> and is fully functional, although it doesn't have any "wizards." You can
> also run the DOS version from the PM CD, if you have a boot floppy with CD
> drivers.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy
> Dave@gpick.net
>
>
>
0
Fokke
5/5/2001 10:45:00 PM
Hi HiMan,

thanx for the link, it may come in useful. The Partition magic problem can
also be solved differently (see other reply) but I will I will try it (for
other purposes) when the new machine arrives.

regards,

Fokke

"HiMan" <Please@ReplyInForum.invalid> wrote in message
news:Mdoqyva1AHA.1816@colossus.SMG...
>
> "Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:nQx0zRa1AHA.1900@colossus.SMG...
>
> | My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this is
> not
> | possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on the
> PM
> | site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.
>
> Hi Fokke,
>
> maybe this helps (no personal experience)
> http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/
>
> HiMan
>
>
0
Fokke
5/5/2001 10:49:00 PM
"Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:TBhxGXb1AHA.524@colossus.SMG...

| thanx for the link, it may come in useful.

You are welcome :-)  HiMan
0
HiMan
5/5/2001 10:59:00 PM
You might also look at:

www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/

contains a rather geeky freeware partition program that you might look at.

I have used the geocities MS-DOS conversion for ME and it works. It also seems to
solve a few software conflicts in the process. However, it might mess up safemode so
that needs to be checked. Pay particular attention when using the attrib command or
you can mess up some files. Also save backups of the original files.

Also check out this site for a slightly different way of doing DOS with ME:

http://www.sgmvp.freewebsites.com/WinME_DOS/Win-ME.htm

HTH

c

"Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> wrote in message
news:TBhxGXb1AHA.524@colossus.SMG...
> Hi HiMan,
>
> thanx for the link, it may come in useful. The Partition magic problem can
> also be solved differently (see other reply) but I will I will try it (for
> other purposes) when the new machine arrives.
>
> regards,
>
> Fokke
>
> "HiMan" <Please@ReplyInForum.invalid> wrote in message
> news:Mdoqyva1AHA.1816@colossus.SMG...
> >
> > "Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:nQx0zRa1AHA.1900@colossus.SMG...
> >
> > | My version of Partition Magic Pro version 5 needs a 'real DOS', this is
> > not
> > | possible in Windows ME. I heard about a patch, but cannot find it on the
> > PM
> > | site. Though I love the program, I hate to buy it again.
> >
> > Hi Fokke,
> >
> > maybe this helps (no personal experience)
> > http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/
> >
> > HiMan
> >
> >
>
>
0
commander
5/6/2001 1:16:00 AM
Fokke Zwaan,


"Fokke Zwaan" <fokke.zwaan@wxs.nl> wrote in message
news:nQx0zRa1AHA.1900@colossus.SMG...
>and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden
> partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor
FDisk.
> Is this really possible?

Yes, this is easy to do, as anytime that you "hide" a partition, it will not
show up in windows or DOS.  Drive Image Pro, which is what probably was used
to make the back-up image of ME, also has the ability to hide the image so
that it will not be corrupted by windows when it boots up.  If more than one
Windows OS partition is active and visible at the same time, your hard disk
will be scrambled on start-up.  It would be wise to get a hold of a copy of
Drive Image Pro, and use it to up-date this ME image on a regular basis, so
that if you ever have a major melt-down of ME, you will not have to fall
back on the OEM image of ME, but rather use the updated version.  If you do
this, do not tell your company that you are doing so, as they probably put
that image there so that they can quickly restore ME to OEM status.  But,
what the heck, right?  What they do not know will not hurt them, eh?  Maybe
make sure that you keep a copy of the OEM image on some other media, then
when you are through with the computer, and need to give it back, just
replace your altered image with the original one, and no one will be the
wiser, eh?

Good luck,

Q
0
Q
5/6/2001 4:02:00 AM
Reply:

Web resources about - windows ME questions, questions, questions....... - grc.techtalk

West Lothian question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He illustrated his point by pointing out the absurdity of a Member of Parliament for West Lothian being able to vote on matters affecting the ...

Hillary Raises The Electability Question Again And The Polls Respond
The Clinton Machine is back to the inevitability argument which has served her so poorly in the past. And now, when they're not using the same ...

Question #2 for 2016: How many payroll jobs will be added in 2016?
Earlier I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'm adding some thoughts, and a few predictions for each question. ...

5 questions all first-time car buyers should ask
Don't visit the showroom without this handy set of questions all rookie car buyers should ask both of themselves and the car dealer

Hillary Breaks With Obama On Immigration Raids, Dodges Questions On Deporting Children
Hillary Breaks With Obama On Immigration Raids, Dodges Questions On Deporting Children

The Week Ahead: Three Questions Investors Should Answer
The global stock markets have certainly gotten the world's attention after just five days of trading in 2016. Even the very strong job report ...

Two Stops, No Questions, and One Embroidered Marc Jacobs Sweater: Getting Out the Vote With Lena Dunham ...
DES MOINES, IOWA—At two campaign events for Hillary Clinton in Iowa on Saturday, speaker Lena Dunham did not shake any hands, nor did she take ...

Steven Universe Tells Us That the Answer to All Our Questions is Love—But It's Also Fandom
When last week’s “Steven Bomb” of Steven Universe episodes began, it offered love as the real answer to many fans’ questions about the history ...

Iowa Voters Dismiss Trump's Questions on Cruz Citizenship
ABC News Iowa Voters Dismiss Trump's Questions on Cruz Citizenship ABC News Donald Trump's questions about Ted Cruz's citizenship may not ...

Lamar Odom Faces Rehabilitation,Trials, and Questions After Hospital Discharge
This week, Lamar Odom saw something he hasn’t seen in nearly three months, the outside of a hospital. People reports that Lamar Odom was released ...

Resources last updated: 1/12/2016 8:59:45 AM