turning off hard disks

I keep my computer on 24/7...
Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be
turned off after xx min of activity..

Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up
again??
0
Kernal32

Kernal32 <unavailable@nospam.org.net> writes:

>I keep my computer on 24/7...
>Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be
>turned off after xx min of activity..
>
>Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up
>again??

Yes.  My experience has been that drives are best left on full-time, but
other's mileage may of course vary.

--
Jim Crowther                        "It's MY computer" (tm)
Spam no longer a problem: <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/>
>Yes.  My experience has been that drives are best left on full-time, but
>other's mileage may of course vary.

Agreed. The drive undergoes its greatest stress during spinup.
crash@gpick.com
http://lists.gpick.com
0
Crash
2/21/2003 4:44:00 PM
On one occasion I know of a hard disk head crash possibly due to the drives
being turned of. Apparently the head missed the landing zone or something.
All I know is the disk was fine until the power saving function was enabled
and the disks would turn of every xx minutes. I would advise leaving the
disks on all of the time.

""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
> >Yes.  My experience has been that drives are best left on full-time, but
> >other's mileage may of course vary.
>
> Agreed. The drive undergoes its greatest stress during spinup.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com
> http://lists.gpick.com

0
ocol
2/21/2003 7:43:00 PM
ocol <ocol@hotmail.com> writes:

>On one occasion I know of a hard disk head crash possibly due to the
>drives being turned of. Apparently the head missed the landing zone or
>something. All I know is the disk was fine until the power saving
>function was enabled and the disks would turn of every xx minutes. I
>would advise leaving the disks on all of the time.

As long as they don't suffer bearing failure (which can happen at any
time) leaving them on also keeps them at a stable temperature, so that
tracks always align.

I use a 50:50 rule (there was a study undertaken by my company many
years ago on lightbulb failure/replacement cost, now sadly lost[1]) in
that if a device has to be on for longer than 12 hours a day, it is
usually more efficient, cheaper, and even with a 'black box' energy
audit, to leave it on 24 hours a day.  Strange but true then, and I
strongly suspect, now.

[1]     With lightbulbs on a medium-sized site, it was cheaper to
        replace all bulbs at the 'half-way' point in their MTBF lives or
        there-abouts, all at once, than to replace piecemeal.  It was
        also overall more energy efficient to leave a subset of those on
        24 hours a day.

--
Jim Crowther                        "It's MY computer" (tm)
Spam no longer a problem: <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/>
0
Jim
2/21/2003 8:11:00 PM
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:07:59 +0800, Kernal32 wrote:

> I keep my computer on 24/7...
> Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be
> turned off after xx min of activity..
>
> Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up
> again??

So the answer is pick it on. My 7200rpm seagate gets every hot.
I'm adding another case fan to increase ventilation, but I was concerned
about the temperature, its quite warm touching the outside casing of the
disk.
0
Kernal32
2/22/2003 1:19:00 AM
Kernal32 <unavailable@nospam.org.net> writes:

>On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:07:59 +0800, Kernal32 wrote:
>

>> I keep my computer on 24/7...
>> Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be
>> turned off after xx min of activity..
>>
>> Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up
>> again??
>
>So the answer is pick it on. My 7200rpm seagate gets every hot.
>I'm adding another case fan to increase ventilation, but I was concerned
>about the temperature, its quite warm touching the outside casing of the
>disk.

If you can hold your finger against it without discomfort (although
'hot') this should be fine, and well within spec. - if you can't, like
it's !OUCH! then leave it on, buy a new drive, work out what you will do
to copy (xcopy32 /h/i/c/k/e/r/y) or whatever, and add the new drive in a
short (less than 15 mins if possible, so you have a chance of it
re-starting) time.

If the old drive starts from cold (24 hrs off) OK, then use it as an
occasional back-up, other-wise it's the sledge-hammer...

--
Jim Crowther                        "It's MY computer" (tm)
Spam no longer a problem: <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/>
0
Jim
2/22/2003 2:38:00 AM
I also have a 7200RPM Disk Drive and I use a temperature monitoring tool
which utilises SMART and I have installed a hard Disk Cooler with Heatsink.
My Hard Disk Temp stays around 28-30C and with a lot of use rises to 34C.

The cooler I use is
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/vanulhdcool.html

and the freeware to monitor the temperature is

http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

> Kernal32 <unavailable@nospam.org.net> writes:
>
> >On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:07:59 +0800, Kernal32 wrote:

<--snip-->

> >My 7200rpm seagate gets very hot.
> >I'm adding another case fan to increase ventilation, but I was concerned
> >about the temperature, its quite warm touching the outside casing of the
> >disk.

<--snip-->
0
ocol
2/22/2003 2:01:00 PM
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:38:51 +0000, Jim Crowther wrote:

> Kernal32 <unavailable@nospam.org.net> writes:
>

> If you can hold your finger against it without discomfort (although
> 'hot') this should be fine, and well within spec. - if you can't, like
> it's !OUCH! then leave it on, buy a new drive, work out what you will do
> to copy (xcopy32 /h/i/c/k/e/r/y) or whatever, and add the new drive in a
> short (less than 15 mins if possible, so you have a chance of it
> re-starting) time.

> If the old drive starts from cold (24 hrs off) OK, then use it as an
> occasional back-up, other-wise it's the sledge-hammer...

This is a brand new comp, the drive is "warm" but not burning, I guess
these things run hotter overall compared with my old PII450, the cpu had a
large heat sink, no fan...

This is a PIV 2.66ghz and its a tad wamer. paranoid I gues
0
Kernal32

Hard Disks turn on but they should not!
Hi, I have Opensuse 11.2 with KDE desktop on a abit motherboard with 2gb ram, 2 SATA Hard drives and 2 IDE hard drives (master and slave on IDE2), plus the ide master boot hard disk on IDE 1. I programmed the 2 SATA and IDE drives to turn off after 1 min inactiviti with HDPARM -S 12 , but often Opensuse wakes up all drives, wich vanishes the purpose to keep them off when not used. The only running software are the normal desktop tasks : the device notifier the system tray the task manager the application launcher menu the digital clock Any suggestion to avoid this? thank you ...

Installing SUSE 11.4 64 bit on External Hard Disk to Replace 11.2 64 bit on Internal Hard Disk
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and 3 GB RAM. The system has dual iboot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.2 64 bit. Recently I added an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity). I wish to uninstall the 11.2 and install 11.4 on the external drive. There are additional instructions for installing 11.4 on an external disk. a) Will it be possible to uninstall the 11.2 as 11.4 is being installed, leaving the space on the internal disk free for re-allocation to Windows, b) Or should I first uninstall 11.2 repair the Windows ...

Logging: Disk full
Hi how are you? I'm fairly new to groupwise and all of the problems that may occur, but I believe I have a fairly simple problem to fix(I hope). This morning I was told by a couple of people that they have not been recieving their mail for a couple of days. When I looked at the MTA it reports basically continuosly: Logging: Disk full - disk logging turned off. I've been doing research this morning trying to figure out where these log files are... but have had no luck. I'm under the assumption that I could delete these files to create more disk space...is t...

Clonning hard disk
Hi, I had managed to clone old hard disc to a new one - multiboot WinXP-DOS-Opensuse 11.3 with Acronis. After solving all (perhaps) problems, I have one question. The last problem - I had to rewrite fstab file. Old fstab: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST380811AS_5PS0EVE3-part3 / ..... New fstab: /dev/sda3 / ... Perhaps there are more configuration files, that use 'by-id' identification. Question - Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification? There is a problem when we change hard disk. How can I rewrite all values with new hard dis...

Hard Disks and all about them...
I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to defragment my hard disks that is either free or low cost, and actually does a good job, especially on ntfs partitions. I have used norton but I don't like it because I have found it can be destructive and it is also cost prohibitive. Also what utility is good to optomize my registry under xp, to remove redundant keys safely and restore my os to a decent performance level. Everyone knows how windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not been able to find a product that is good at cleaning it up and restoring it...

After installing 11.4 on external hard disk, no booting from primary disk
Hello, I have a laptop, with Suse 11.4 installed and Windows 7, on hda. Now I got an external hard drive (hdc), and I installed also Suse 11.4 there (hdc1 - hdc3); there was an initial question about it: 'How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem) - Page 2' (http://tinyurl.com/3aw2fcb) but that is likely no longer relevant. The installation process installed the boot-loader on hda. So well, seemed necessary to me (though I would have preferred not to mess at all with hda; see below for further comments). Summarising the boot...

external usb disk shows disk, disk-1, disk-2, disk-3, disk-4
Hello all, I am new to linux. I am running openSUSE 11.1 (i586) and I have a maxtor external usb drive attached. I used the backup utility in suse to create a backup job that would copy files to my external hard drive. The problem is that when I disconnect the usb drive or reboot the machine sometimes the drive shows up as a different name. e.g. It first showed up as disk, then disk-1, then disk-2, then disk-3, and now disk-4. This is a problem because the backup utility doesn't know that the drive name changed. I had to update the back-up software to say to write to dr...

Hard Disk frequent head unloads (Disk Clicking whilst idle?)
I created a thread about a problem a I had with my hard disk clicking whilst idle little while ago and I may now have stumbled upon a possible solution. The strange thing with the problem is that Ubuntu/Kubuntu didn't cause this problem but Opensuse 11.2 does. I installed Fedora 13 to have a glimpse of what all the fuss was about and noticed that I had the same problem (hard disk clicking whilst idle ~ every 20 secs or so). Now there's a wiki on this subject and a few bug reports: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues > Problem Description > >...

Format hard disk
i want format hard disk that installed opensuse 11.1 os into a clean hard disk like a new hard disk that haven't been use. i dun want to use it for opensuse anymore, because i already installed opensuse in another hard disk and this hard disk i want use for others os. anyone know how to do it? -- eveckc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ eveckc wrote: > i want format hard disk that installed opensuse 11.1 os into a clean > hard disk like a new hard disk that haven't been use. most hard disk sold today do not come ...

USB Hard Disks
I'm consedring the possibility of installing aan external USB hard disk drive in my Netware 4.11. Could any one tell me if this is possible? (Soft drivers available, etc.) Thanks Guilherme Nope, you need 6.5 Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ Further to Dave's comments == with NW 4.x for performance, I'd very much stick to SCSI and not add IDE drives to the mix either. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

issue hard disk
Hi, i have a issue about hard disk using OpenSuse 10.3 and the default kernel. In fact i obtain "<6>ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)" in boot.msg when i try to used ahci. In detail: <7>libata version 3.00 loaded. <7>ahci 0000:02:00.0: version 3.0 <6>ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16 <6>ahci 0000:02:00.0: AHCI 0001.0000 32 slots 2 ports 3 Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode <6>ahci 0000:02:00.0: flags: 64bit ncq pm led clo pmp pio slum part <7>PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:...

Hard Disk Monitor?
Hey, my hard disk fires up sometimes and runs forever when I least expect it. I don't think it's indexing, I have that off in Windows and Google Desktop looks for a break in the action. Run anti-spyware trying to avoid unwanted downloads and no network activity anyway. Is there a utility that will tell you exactly what programs and processes are using the drives and what they are doing? I can't find one. John Smith said in:<news:ei9p70$23b$1@news.grc.com>: > Hey, my hard disk fires up sometimes and runs forever when I least expect > it. I don't think ...

Replacing the hard disks
Our main server (NW5.1, Backup Exec 9.0, 6 x 9GB SCSI in RAID5, CA, Master replica) is running out of space so I'm planning to replace the 9GB drives with 36GB ones. There is one other NW5.1 server in the tree, our BM server. In my mind I was reckoning on a procedure something like: 1) Take full backup (kinda obvious really) 2) Make BM server the master 2) Down server and swap drives (noteing the order the old drives come out, just incase... 3) Install NW5.1 with same SP, recreating volumes of the same names, but larger. Same server name, tree, and Org, same admin pa...

Hard disk activity
My disk is writing about every 10 seconds. I searched but did not find a solution for my problem. I installed iotop and it seems that the following writes much to my disk: [jbd2/sda6-8] rsyslogd -c 5 -f /etc/rs What are they and can i turn them off or configure them so that they writes not mutch to my disk? Thanks, ps Sorry, for my bad English -- ProClub ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 2010-09-23 03:06, ProClub wrote: > > My disk is writing about every 10 seconds. I searched but did not find a > solution ...

Web resources about - turning off hard disks - grc.techtalk

Turning This Car Around
America's favorite podcast about fatherhood with Lex Friedman, John Moltz and Jon Armstrong.

Three Turnings of the Wheel of Dharma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Three Turnings of the Wheel (of Dharma) refers to a framework for understanding the sutra stream of the teachings of the Buddhism originally ...

PBS Mixes Facebook, Other Social Networks Into Documentary ‘Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity ...
PBS will air documentary Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide Oct. 1 and 2, but Facebook users can get involved ...

Turning Website Visitors into Facebook Fans with the Fan Box
Turning Website Visitors into Facebook Fans with the Fan Box

Widgetbox and Dapper turning widgets into Facebook apps
WYSIWYG widget publishing platforms Widgetbox and Dapper both announced new tools for turning widgets into Facebook applications today. Widgetbox ...

Turning Up The Heat On Spam - Twitter Blogs
... attractive” inflatable boa...... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs &nbsp Turning Up The ...

News: The crane is turning, a clever approach to dismantling it.
Remember the crane that blew over in the storm on Monday? Apparently it still works, and they're solving the problem by turning it, so that ...

How Chemistry Is Turning Science Fiction Into Fact
It is quite conceivable that three decades from today, you might work in a building that generates its own power. You might get there in a car ...

Turning Melo HD Lite on the App Store on iTunes
Get Turning Melo HD Lite on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Samsung Galaxy S 2 Passed the Turning Point of 10 Million Global Sales - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Galaxy S 2, which is becoming a global smart icon, finally passed the turning point of 10 million global sales. Samsung Electronics announced ...