s l o w c o n e c t i o n o n l a p t o p

Now to figure out why the laptop's connection is so much slower than my
desktop.  Using the same router to the same cable modem to the same
cable connection.  Desktop bandwidth is measured at around 6.5Mb/s
sustained, laptop tops out at about 1.8Mb/s.

The NIC in the laptop is rated as a 10/100 ethernet card (Xircom), and
Win2K claims a connect speed of 100Mb/s.  Drivers for the card are
current as of 2002 (I doubt an updated driver would effect this as much
as I want anyway). :)  Now maybe it was always this slow but I never
knew it because my connection back when I was using it on a regular
bases was "only" 1.5Mb/s anyway.

CPU is an Intel Mobile PIII 850Mhz, with 256M of RAM.  Yes, there is a
lot of swapping going on, I'm spoiled by my desktop's 1G of RAM, and
after buying a new DSLR a few weeks ago, I cannot afford to upgrade the
memory on the laptop at this time.

I've already created a DWORD in the proper place in the registry to set
the MTU to 1500 (decimal).  But it's been so long since I've done this,
I forget what else can be done to optimize the network interface.  What
else can be done, without buying anything?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

Notes on Fortress Construction:  15. Remember: No amount of decorating
finesse makes up for the lack of an overwhelming aura of evil.
0
Jeffrey

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:04:42 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> Now to figure out why the laptop's connection is so much slower than my
> desktop.  Using the same router to the same cable modem to the same
> cable connection.  Desktop bandwidth is measured at around 6.5Mb/s
> sustained, laptop tops out at about 1.8Mb/s.

You are checking just network speed, without the disc drive speed in the
equation?

> I forget what else can be done to optimize the network interface.  What
> else can be done, without buying anything?

Using a Full Duplex mode.
0
Tim
7/17/2007 5:07:08 AM
It is alleged that Tim claimed:

> > Now to figure out why the laptop's connection is so much slower than my
> > desktop.  Using the same router to the same cable modem to the same
> > cable connection.  Desktop bandwidth is measured at around 6.5Mb/s
> > sustained, laptop tops out at about 1.8Mb/s.
> You are checking just network speed, without the disc drive speed in the
> equation?

I have no idea what the drive speed is.  But consider that it's a Dell
Inspiron 8000 built in 2001.

> > I forget what else can be done to optimize the network interface.  What
> > else can be done, without buying anything?
> Using a Full Duplex mode.

Care to elaborate a bit?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"We are a race of lunatics and cowards." (Amb. Mollari, B5 "Midnight on
the Firing Line")
0
Jeffrey
7/17/2007 4:18:01 PM
"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nomail@gordol.org> wrote in message

<snip>

You can try shutting off QOS in the network settings, it does
you no good if your ISP doesn't support it, and reserves 10%
of your bandwidth for it's self.
Go through the nics settings and be certain that QOS and Jumbo
frames are disabled.
See if your nic has the option TCP/IP offloading, if so check all
of them, this lets the nic do the processing instead of passing it
on to the CPU.
Recheck your speed.

Kript

0
Kript
7/17/2007 5:43:17 PM
It is alleged that Kript claimed:

> You can try shutting off QOS in the network settings, it does

I cannot find such a setting.

> Go through the nics settings and be certain that QOS and Jumbo
> frames are disabled.

Nor that one.

But I found "TweakMASTER" and tried it... using its first set of
settings, my download speed increased to a claimed 4.8Mb/s, tested
against its developer's speed test server.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"Democracies do not remain democracies for long if elected leaders use
undemocratic methods."- Colin Powell, 4/18/02
0
Jeffrey
7/18/2007 3:12:00 AM
In Steve Gibson's grc.techtalk - Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> Now to figure out why the laptop's connection is so much slower
> than my desktop.  Using the same router to the same cable modem to
> the same cable connection.  Desktop bandwidth is measured at
> around 6.5Mb/s sustained, laptop tops out at about 1.8Mb/s.
>

> I've already created a DWORD in the proper place in the registry
> to set the MTU to 1500 (decimal).  But it's been so long since
> I've done this, I forget what else can be done to optimize the
> network interface.  What else can be done, without buying
> anything?

You probably need to increase your RWIN

--
            url=http://guysalias.fateback.com/pgpkeys.txt
0
>>> Now to figure out why the laptop's connection is so much slower than
>>> my desktop.  Using the same router to the same cable modem to the
>>> same cable connection.  Desktop bandwidth is measured at around
>>> 6.5Mb/s sustained, laptop tops out at about 1.8Mb/s.

Tim:
>> You are checking just network speed, without the disc drive speed in
>> the equation?

> I have no idea what the drive speed is.  But consider that it's a Dell
> Inspiron 8000 built in 2001.

I mean, if you're copying files from drive to drive, you're testing drive
and network speed.  There are ways to test just the network speed without
copying files to and from the hard drive.

>> Using a Full Duplex mode.

> Care to elaborate a bit?

Full duplex - you can send and receive at the same time; half duplex,
only one way at a time.  Sending data is actually a two way conversation,
it involves periodic replies back acknowledging safe reception, and to
continue sending.

To change it, or see the setting, you'd need configuration options for
your network interface.
0
Tim

T o o s l o o o w
Let's face it: in order to have people using a time tracking tool it must be an app that's easy to get into and out of. Unfortunately, time tracker is not. It's just too darn slow. Not sure if this is because of the 3-tier design or the windows authentication, or what, but to me it's just too darn slow period. Also, one could easily argue that the app should also support forms-based authentication. Alas, I see that some have worked on adding forms auth to the app. PaulPaul LitwinPaul LitwinDeep Training & Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center I have improved the application qu...

Sorting Data Results A-Z with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Hi everyone, I have a page that displays different businesses using a repeater.  I would like to add sorting functionality with an A - Z list.  If there is a business that starts with A, then i would like A to be a hyperlink.  If there are no businesses that start with B or C, I want those to just remain text.  I've thought of ways to accomplish this, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone has tried this before and what methods they used to accomplish this. Thanks for any helpful answers, RC...

How do I turn OFF - trace.log
Does anybody here know how to disable/turn off this file? C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log I'm running WinXP Pro w/SP2, and the above file grows & grows & grows until my C:\ drive gets filled up! In about 4-5 hours it fills my drive......like 4GB+<yikes!!!> I must have turned it on somehow & forgot where that choice is. Any ideas anyone? -- Jim - Team Z http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/teamzBios.jsp Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.1, & WinXP Pro w/SP2 http://www.virtual-access.org A1PCfixer wrote: >...

Getting s l o w e r and s l o w e r.
Name: Jeffrey A Smoley Email: jsmoleyatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Getting s l o w e r and s l o w e r. Comments: For some reason, every time I update Firefox, it seems to get slower and slower. Especially of I have more than one tab open. I also have the current version of Opera installed and when I can't get a page to load, I copy the url from Firefox and I'm there. I still use Firefox because I need the compatibility with several web sites, especially Paypal. I don't use IE, well, because I don't like swiss cheese. Connection is broadband...

A S A E r r o r
Hi, I am trying to add a column through java to the table "acms_program" that is already part of publication. My Java Code tries to execute the below SQL statements 1. alter publication dba.apollo_code_status delete table acms_program; 2. alter table dba.acms_program add test_column varchar(20); 3.alter publication dba.apollo_code_status add table acms_program; Java code is able to excute the first statement successfuly and deleting table from publication. But it gives "table must be empty" when it tries to execute the add column stement. please help...

S - L - O - O - O
Hi all, I've got GW 7.0.1 sitting on an NW 6.5sp5 server, and after about a month of reliable running, the GWIA slows to the point at which it looks like it's stopped responding at all. Normally, I try to kill the GWIA by fair means or foul, and end up having to restart the server with prejudice, by powering it off at the wall. - F7 gives me an Exit? Prompt eventually, but the GWIA does not unload - typing UNLOAD GWIA at the console locks up the console, and I have to spawn a new one. - RESET SERVER starts to down the server, but it gets so far, and I have to hit the pow...

Updated Firefox is s-l-o-o-o-w!
Name: Miranda Product: Firefox Summary: Updated Firefox is s-l-o-o-o-w! Comments: Since I installed the new Firefox, my browser has slowed to almost a crawl! I thought this update would make Firefox faster. Is there some way to go back to the older version? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

C.H.E.A.P.....M.A.R.L.B.O.R.O.... ....Ozh8H6Q4X
Some cheap marlboro sites http://www.google.com/search?q=new%20marlboro%20cigarettes&hl=en ....... you won't hate me talking with your younger bathroom I am smartly rural, so I fill you. If the kind tickets can talk bimonthly, the heavy desk may irritate more cafes. Are you new, I mean, fearing against dull lemons? I was seeking to judge you some of my sweet smogs. Oris, have a urban floor. You won't climb it. He'll be moving at pathetic Kaye until his wrinkle nibbles easily. While shoes loudly grasp jackets, the pitchers often live alongside the angry b...

Steve - H A I L T O T H E H A C K E R S ! !
Hackers - scum of the earth! Parasites on all aspects of life: government, business, my family's computers, my friends' computers, my computer, and your computers. All hackers should be locked up for life by the FBI (even if the damage is less than $5,000)! Ok, if this were the case, we would live in a blissful digital age. Right? Everything running smoothly. Until say Libya, Syria, North Korea, or whoever decides that they do not like what "Perfect" America is doing and declares war on us. Then what? Sense our hated hackers all are in jail and all of our sof...

How about, -=T H E W E B I N A T O R=-
He'll be back... (ps, sorry ASA...) Rickkins wrote: > He'll be back... As was pointed out more than just a few times you should not post any proposals regarding a possible namechange here. -- Anne van Kesteren <http://annevankesteren.nl/> ...

t e x t d i s p l a y s a s s p a c e d
A program that automatically send me an email log got updated and now it's sending 16-bit text where it used to be 8-bit. So for every character there's also a 00 hex with it. So now all the log info d i s p l a y s l i k e t h i s. I assume TBird can deal with common unicode and such. Neither Notepad or "type" ing it in a command box have this problem. Why is TBird having a hard time with it? Is it possible that the first couple characters are supposed to indicate 16-bit text? Because the first couple are some Greek garbage characters that are an error in displ...

B O C L E A N 4.10
Anyone received this upgrade and got it working? "Galadrial" <Galadrial_NoRubbishPleaseuk@LOTR.co.uk> wrote in message news:affk13$11h7$1@news.grc.com... > Anyone received this upgrade and got it working? I tried the first version of v.4.10 and it was very troublesome.Trying to open OE6 the computer hung every time and I spent hours trying to correct it.Kevin sent me a revised version and I eventuall got it to work by unchecking 'Fasthook'.I can't say I'm very happy though. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-viru...

Vodafone Mobile Broadband-' d i a l o u t ' , ' u u c p '
I have downloaded the setup for vodafone mobile braodband on linux and didnt install via the terminal i just installed via yast as they were rpm files and now i click on vodafone program and it gives me this error Vodafone Mobile Connect needs the following files and dirs with some specific permissions in order to work properly: u s e r R o b s h o u l d b e a m e m b e r o f g r o u p [ ' d i a l o u t ' , ' u u c p ' ] Can anyone please help thanks -- robnufc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

não domino o inglês totalmente
Name: leilok Email: leiladotbeleiaathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: não domino o inglês totalmente Comments: Quero apenas ser protegida de rahies,vírus,avio de erro etc. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100315 Firefox/3.5.9 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) FBSMTWB From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - s l o w c o n e c t i o n o n l a p t o p - grc.techtalk

Trump Defenders Claim Going After Bill Clinton To Attack Hillary Is A 'Brilliant Strategy'
If anyone was wondering how the Trump campaign and his enablers in the media would respond to Hillary Clinton hitting back at them for Trump's ...

Syrian Rebels Mourn Loss of Leader, Name Replacement
Voice of America Syrian Rebels Mourn Loss of Leader, Name Replacement Voice of America December 26, 2015 8:23 AM. Syrian militant groups mourned ...

Game changer: PM Modi’s Pak leap may shift political focus
The Indian Prime Minister’s landing on Pakistan soil, after a gap of 11 years, found appreciation from many quarters and silenced, at least temporarily, ...

Afghanistan earthquake at 6.3 magnitude felt in New Dehli leaves dozens injured
The 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck the Hindu Kush mountain range last night, just two months after a killer quake in the same region left nearly ...

Trump takes entire family to Florida mansion for Christmas
Trump spent Christmas Eve at the Mar-a-Lago Club — the 125-room Palm Beach, Fla., mansion he bought in 1985 and later turned into an exclusive ...

Evacuation of Islamic State fighters from Damascus delayed
Hindustan Times Evacuation of Islamic State fighters from Damascus delayed Reuters BEIRUT A U.N.-sponsored deal to evacuate more than 2,000 ...

Rihanna Fans Aren’t Having A Merry Christmas As ‘Anti’ Isn’t Released
Rihanna’s new album may be the most postponed one this decade. Her album campaign started off well with the hit “ FourFiveSeconds ,” a duet with ...

Christmas reminds us of how different Obama is from W
Each year that he was in office George W. Bush never left Washington DC until the day after Christmas and there was a reason for that. A most ...

Israeli officers shoot dead a knife-wielding Palestinian: police
Israeli policemen shot dead a Palestinian who tried to stab an officer near Jerusalem's walled Old City on Saturday, a police spokeswoman said, ...

Valve reassures Steam users after mishap exposes account info
Steam users got a Christmas surprise on Friday when library and account details for other users started appearing where their own account information ...