Non-DOS Partition?

Every now and then I find that Windows has altered the boot sector of a
hard drive, causing it to become unbootable and unrecognizable to DOS.

The usual scenario is, I'm installing or re-installing Windows on a
client's new hard drive, and the old C: drive is intended to become D:.

This seems to be a sort of alchemy bewteen Win9x and certain BIOSes.
When a drive D: with existing partitions is attached to the system, its
boot sector is altered and it becomes unreadable after one Windows
startup.  Thereafter DOS doesn't even assign it a drive letter.  It
effectively disappears.

FDISK will recognize the drive but it identifies its partition(s) as
"Non-DOS."

Norton's Ghost will back up the affected drive to an image; and if I
then restore the image to a previously-created DOS partition, it results
in a drive/partition that is once again recognized and readable.  But
that's time-consuming and sometimes impossible in the field.

If anyone knows what's going on here, and has a simpler solution, I'd
love to know about it.

I suspect Steve's SpinRite would provide a means to manipulate the boot
sector and resolve this sort of thing, but I don't own it (yet) and
haven't the ready cash to buy it (That's spelled L-A-W-S-U-I-T).

I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone with this problem, and somewhere
there's a very simple and perhaps free solution.

pchelp
0
pchelp

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:21:07 GMT, pchelp@nwi.net (pchelp) wrote:

<all snipped>

Funny you should mention that.  I recently installed a trial version
of w2kserver on hdd #2 (d:).  I deleted and ran the IBM utility to
write 0s to the disk.  Booted to dos with win98 boot disk and ran
fdisk /mbr.  Got an error that 1st FAT may be corrupt, would you like
to use the 2nd FAT?  Same with the Ghost version.

After all the A+ stuff I never got anyone to tell me how to switch to
the 2nd FAT if the first one is corrupted and NOW my FDISK command is
voluteering to do it for me?

LSS I accepted and all seems OK.

Curiostity is at all time high.
0
El
7/11/2001 2:54:00 AM
I haven't seen that problem in a long time but I believe that has to do with 2
drives having the active partition set on both. If you take the new drive out (or
disable in BIOS) does it then boot okay again off of the second drive (usually
does). Deactivate the second active partition. Or try putting the second hard drive
off of the second controller/connector (if the system got it) so it doesn't try to
boot from it.

Also sometimes drive jumper settings for slave and master not set up (moved) and
dependent on the original (first) drive some drives just don't work well as slaves
to other certain brands.

Regards
0
Tracer
7/11/2001 4:15:00 AM
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:15:11 -0400, "Tracer" <none@none.com> wrote:

<snip>

Never had the problem before when running other MS OSs on 2nd hdd.

Think I will overwrite again, Change boot order, disconnect 2nd hdd
and test.
0
El
7/11/2001 4:55:00 AM
pchelp@nwi.net (pchelp) wrote in news:3b4bae54.23291448@news.grc.com:

> I suspect Steve's SpinRite would provide a means to manipulate the boot
> sector and resolve this sort of thing, but I don't own it (yet) and
> haven't the ready cash to buy it (That's spelled L-A-W-S-U-I-T).
>
> I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone with this problem, and somewhere
> there's a very simple and perhaps free solution.

 I haven't used it in a while but Ranish Partition Manager allows some MBR
tinkering and it's free. Sorry don't recall the URL but a google search
should find it.

Dave AA
0
DAA
7/11/2001 5:13:00 AM
My response above was attached to pchelp's.

I'm a bit confused on what you did but you stated you installed Win2k on the second
HDD and so it's boot loader would still be on the first one. Running fdisk /mbr
after a win98 boot up would overwrite the mbr on the first drive which would have
replaced the 2k version, so you actually corrupted it. And so the second copy would
be looked at (if it's there) and if you asked for it to be repaired you would get
the correct one back (it became second after your 98 fdisk /mbr).

Regards

"El Gato Grande" <elgatograndeblue@watertechemail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:15:11 -0400, "Tracer" <none@none.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Never had the problem before when running other MS OSs on 2nd hdd.
>
> Think I will overwrite again, Change boot order, disconnect 2nd hdd
> and test.
0
Tracer
7/11/2001 5:25:00 AM
"Tracer" <none@none.com> wrote:

>I haven't seen that problem in a long time but I believe that has to do with 2
>drives having the active partition set on both.

That's quite possible.  I've assumed that could be a reason why, BUT I
have run multiple drives with active primary partitions many, many, many
times without this consequence.

>If you take the new drive out (or
>disable in BIOS) does it then boot okay again off of the second drive (usually
>does).

Nope.  It will not boot.

>Deactivate the second active partition. Or try putting the second hard drive
>off of the second controller/connector (if the system got it) so it doesn't try to
>boot from it.

In this latest instance, the second drive WAS on the secondary IDE
controller as Master.  Its boot sector was altered to make the primary
(and only) partition "Non-DOS".  But _precisely_ what was changed, why
and how I can't say.

>Also sometimes drive jumper settings for slave and master not set up (moved) and
>dependent on the original (first) drive some drives just don't work well as slaves
>to other certain brands.

Of that I am aware.  That's not a factor in this particular bug, though.

pchelp
0
pchelp
7/11/2001 6:18:00 PM
As I don't have an exact example (specs) to the system and drives and what you
did...

You also have to be careful about the BIOS and the mode used when you moved the
drive to the other connector or as a slave. Verify what the drive that was in there
could in fact do or what it was set to in respect to LBA, LARGE, Normal, SMART, PIO,
DMA.

Make sure the drives parameters match to what they were. Also verify that the drive
parameter type is okay. And as this seems to be an intermittent occurence is
probably most likely.

What could have happen in some instances (depends on bioses and hard drives): The
original drive is set to auto. So the file size is detected correctly. But the drive
can't operate properly on Mode 4. So it was set to Mode 2 (usually on a second or
Advanced page and was done at the manufacturer/clone builder/or techie that
installed the drive when it was new). The drive is formatted as such. Works great
for the customer as it should. Now you get a newer bigger drive that does all the
way up to DMA (also backward compatible). You place the old drive on the second
controller but didn't verify the mode it was in. And as usually all blank ones are
left to auto and the advance settings never had to be used so it could also be set
to auto or mode 4. So the drive will get recognized but the data may not and could
become corrupted. Now if you didn't touch the BIOS the new drive will get
autodetected but it will run in the configured Mode 2.

Some manufacturers also do not use auto but also do an IDE HDD detection and so set
up user settings. Also verify the older drive can run in the proper DMA setting as
drives that are not DMA can become corrupted (that setting could have been default
also for the second controller before your new HDD drive was in). Some manufacturers
also have warnings about putting non DMA drives on DMA set channels as to corrupting
data. Especially if you slave off of the same connector as new DMA  drive is setup
on.

If you've done quite a few systems, you may have run into instances also where you
had a drive in mode 2 and tried mode 4 (couldn't figure why the drive was set that
way and so wanted to up it for a customer - actually also LBA and LARGE and Normal
settings also apply here ) and noticed you could not read the drive but when you set
it back down fortunately it worked.

Also remember new drives come in different flavours now also, 5400, 7200, 10,000
rpms which usually represent the different DMA and few non-DMA (very few 5400 rpms I
believe are the only ones left)  modes and so you may not have realized a drive you
got is auto detected to it's potential first and so the second drive is auto
detected correctly size wise but is stuck with the bus type of the first drive that
it may not handle.

As for the not booting part when it was in the second controller that could be the
case due to BIOS. Did you put it back to the way it was (back on the first connector
and removed the new drive, rebooted)?

There are lots of variables (and more I haven't touched on) and without knowing all
the details, can't give exact answers to all of your encounters as they could be
different.

Hoped I helped somewhat.

Regards
0
Tracer

What about non-DOS or non-FAT formatted floppies?
Should SR6_R01 be able to read diskettes created with slackware linux (nonfat ones)? I get an unable to read sector zero error with these. As we are on the subject of diskettes, I tried a level an IBM XDF format diskette (2mb on a 1.44mb floppy). It could only see the 393 byte section that dos could see. I am trying to find some of my 1.68 or 1.72 mb Microsoft DMF floppies to test. If Spinrite cannot use these natively, will Spinrite work if I load a device driver in dos for them? I remember such a driver existing and around here somewhere that would let you read these disks in...

DOS partition
I am planning an upgrade a server from 4.11 to 5.1. I would like to use the same hardware. The current DOS partition is approx 37MB with just over 5MB free. Is it possible to complete the upgrade without changing the DOS partition? Thanks John > Is it possible to complete the upgrade without changing > the DOS partition? > Nope. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Support Connection SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Time to learn about Storage Manager at http://www.portlocksoftware.com You likely will need more Sys: too. -- Dave Lunn NSF SysO...

DOS partition
I have inherited a NW 5.1 server that has a DOS boot partition of 100MB and I would like to upgrade it to NW6. I have read the minimum boot partition size is 200MB plus another 200MB. Will my current boot partition size be ok or not? Any recommendations on how to increase the size of the boot partition without dumping the whole server? Thanks in advance for any replies Scott You gotta make it bigger. Not <500 meg IMO. Storage Manager at http://www.portlocksoftware.com is the best way to do it -- Dave Lunn NSF SysOp http://support.novell.com I...

You must include at least one partition non-empty partition
I am trying to image 2 dell laptops, and I get the same error each time One is a inspirion 1501 and the other is a vostro 1500. I get You must include at least one partition non-empty partition and there is no partition to select when I do a img i at the bash prompt the harddrive is showing as none supported and 0mb. Thoughts -- gator17 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:16:02 GMT, gator17 wrote: > I am trying to image 2 dell laptops, and I get the same error each time > One is a inspirion 1501 and the o...

Rebuilding DOS partition
Hello: I have a Netware 6 SP5 server/HPDL380/Groupwise 6.5 on my network.I�m getting this error : Netware Configuration File Transfer Cache TO DOS Error:0x53.I�ve checked support. I found a TID(10096495) that says that I have to recreate the DOS partition, because it�s corrupted.Somebody has experiencied this problem before?How can I recreate the partition with the same configuration drivers.Could the DOScontents of the DOS partition be different bacause of the Groupwise. Thanks in advance. Hi, Albert wrote: > > Hello: > > I have a Netw...

Extend DOS Partition
I want to upgrade Netware6 to Netware6.5 Sp4 Recently, but I found DOS partition only 200MB. I want to extend DOS Partition upto 1224MB,But I try some methods (Partition & Ghost 2003),they were fail How could I extend DOS Partition?? s841040@mail.yzu.edu.tw wrote: > I want to upgrade Netware6 to Netware6.5 Sp4 Recently, > but I found DOS partition only 200MB. > I want to extend DOS Partition upto 1224MB,But I try some methods > (Partition & Ghost 2003),they were fail > How could I extend DOS Partition?? Do you have room after the existing dos partition...

Mirroring DOs partition
Hi, i've mirrored volume sys and another volume to another disk, it's ok. But, how can i try to mirror the BIG dos PArttion too? Thanks a lot Novell does not provide any way of doing this. You can kinda do it yourself by manually creating a d: drive under dos, and putting commands in autoexec.bat to copy c: to d: each time you boot. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Novell Inc. On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23...

DOS PARTITION SIZE
What is the absolute minimum size needed for the dos partition to do a upgrade from 5.1 to version 6.0.. I have a few 5.1 servers that have smaller dos partitions and really dont want to re-partition the disks and re-load netware. I plan on upgrading those servers to new hardware in 12 months or so.. I can live the with in-ability to have a core dump. A option ?? - If these servers have scsi drives in them, can I add a IDE drive and boot from that instead of the SCSI drives, and there by make the entire IDE drive a dos boot partition >??\ Thanks in advance Doug ...

DOS Partition size
I am currently in the process of upgrading 15 servers from NetWare 5.0 to NetWare 6. One of the questions that I keep running in to is "What is the size of my DOS partition?". Are there any utitlities available to give me this information without me having to reboot the server? I would like to find out my partition size without rebooting the servers. Thanks in advance Steve shepard NWCONFIG Standard Disk Options Modify Disk and Partitions .... -- Edison Ortiz Novell Support Connection SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Or download fconf...

Size of DOS partition
What's the recommended size for DOS partition on nw65 server with 1.5 gb mem? I read somewhere it should be the same size as the mem? TIA Paul > I read somewhere it should be the same size as the mem? Right, in case you get a Memory Dump. The entire dump will be stored in the C:\> drive. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) So if mem in server is 1.5gig, should I make the dos partition 1.5gig? Do you do this on your servers? TIA Paul "Edison Ortiz" <eortiz@nscsysop.com> wrote in message news:4118...

Backup Dos Partition
What is the best way to backup the dos partition on a netware 65 server while the server is running, if possible? Thanks Chris Mount it as a volume and backup / copy from there. Chris Calas wrote: > What is the best way to backup the dos partition on a netware 65 server > while the server is running, if possible? > > Thanks > > Chris Duane Fish wrote: > Mount it as a volume and backup / copy from there. > > > Chris Calas wrote: > > What is the best way to backup the dos partition on a netware 65 > > server while the se...

DOS Partition problems
I have a NW6.5 Server running SP5. After the server has booted all is well, however, after a few hours I can not access the DOS partition. I can use toolbox and see the file structure, but I can't run anything (i.e NWCONFIG, NSSMU etc) it just says "unable to find load file PATH" ??? unknown command ??? Anybody got any ideas ? This could be a driver or a disk controller firmware issue. What kind of disk controller are you using? What exact driver (name and version)? -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums It is an IBM box using the IBM Server Ra...

DOS partition on RAID5?
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can tell me whether or not the DOS partition is also striped on an array for fault tolerance? From what I read, if 1 drive goes bad, the array will rebuild itself with a new disk installed - so DOS partition would be part of that, right? I just had a server with mirrored sys vol go down with a bad disk only to find that the 2nd DOS partition on the mirror disk had not been updated along the way and it was a bear getting that server back up. Just want to know if my other server with array would have similar problem. I didn't configure either ...

Dos partition full
Hi I'm quite a newbie what comes to netware, I've been working with it every now and then for past two months. Netware we use is 5.1 Support Pack Revision 7. When I go to out netware server's console, there is following error: "Netware Configuration File Transfer Cache To Dos Error: 0x4000000c Registry rolling back to last known good registry file." During last 45minutes, this error has occured 4 times. When I've searched from novell's site and from google, I've found documents that says that this error is caused by the fact that the DO...

Web resources about - Non-DOS Partition? - grc.techtalk

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9 simplifies OS migration, adds Storage Spaces support
MiniTool has unveiled a major new update to its partition management software for Windows with the release of MiniTool Partition Wizard Free ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Kim Kardashian Slams Beyonce After Wedding Feud: 'KUWTK' Season 9 Instagram Star Blames 'Partition' Singer ...
It looks like Kim Kardashian is done trying to make Beyonce her new best friend. After putting in a tremendous amount of effort to get on good ...

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...

Watch: The untold story of the Partition of India
http://www.zeenews.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZeeNews Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZeeNews Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Zeenews ...