Hard Disks and all about them...

I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to defragment
my hard disks that is either free or low cost, and actually does a good job,
especially on ntfs partitions. I have used norton but I don't like it
because I have found it can be destructive and it is also cost prohibitive.
Also what utility is good to optomize my registry under xp, to remove
redundant keys safely and restore my os to a decent performance level.
Everyone knows how windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not
been able to find a product that is good at cleaning it up and restoring its
performance.
Thanks Dave

--
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the

Tails1 <tails@MUNGED.dragonlair.org> wrote:
> I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to
> defragment my hard disks that is either free or low cost, and
> actually does a good job, especially on ntfs partitions. I have used
> norton but I don't like it because I have found it can be destructive
> and it is also cost prohibitive. Also what utility is good to
> optomize my registry under xp, to remove redundant keys safely and
> restore my os to a decent performance level. Everyone knows how
> windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not been able to
> find a product that is good at cleaning it up and restoring its
> performance.
> Thanks Dave

I use VoptXP for my defragger and I use Easycleaner to clean my registry.

http://www.vopt.com/

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

--
Robert
GRC newsgroup tips - http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm
In grc.techtalk Tails1 wrote:

> I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to
[ ]
> Also what utility is
> good to optomize my registry under xp, to remove redundant keys
> safely and restore my os to a decent performance level. Everyone
> knows how windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not

If you are thinking that NT/2K/XP are like W9x in this regard, don't.
The NT family is not subject to registry "gabage slow down" in the
same fashion as the 9x series.  In fact, I don't recommend registry
cleaners for later OSs at all.  They can create more problems and in
some cases prevent booting or normal operation.  But others have a
different opinion and do use registry cleaning tools.  All I can say
is backup, backup, backup.  Meaning a restore-point or manual
registry backup (using OS-provided tools or 3rd-party like ERUNT)
before "cleaning".  This backing up of the registry is as critical as
regular data backups IMO and provides a way out if your "cleaner"
tool does you wrong.

I leave it to others to make a recommendation.  BTW a good registry
installation tracker is a great tool to have.  Some track/un-install
tools are also good.

In general, check out the List of Lists.  http://lists.gpick.com/
0
Mark
7/11/2004 9:01:00 PM
Tails1 wrote:

> I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to defragment
> my hard disks that is either free or low cost, and actually does a good job,
> especially on ntfs partitions. I have used norton but I don't like it
> because I have found it can be destructive and it is also cost prohibitive.

Use the tool that came with your OS: Hard disk-> Properties-> Tools->
Defragmentation. (Win2k and probably XP)

> Also what utility is good to optomize my registry under xp, to remove
> redundant keys safely and restore my os to a decent performance level.

Like Mark V said, you don't need it. Leave well enough alone.

> Everyone knows how windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not
> been able to find a product that is good at cleaning it up and restoring its
> performance.

They do? Mine don't... What does cause slowing?

Example: My friend is neither computer savvy nor interested in them. His
son is both. The problem was that the computer was much slower than it
was new. Sorry I forgot the OS. Anyway, upon inspection I found the icon
tray (next to the clock) had about 20-25 icons in it. It turned out that
his son had installed everything he had found on the Internet,
everything his friends sent him, in short everything but the dog's
dinner. I went through the installed applications and weeded out most of
the 25 tray-resident icons, rebooted, and the computer seemed to be
about 40-50% faster after the cleanup.

Perhaps you should look at what resources you are using.
0
Kerry
7/11/2004 9:25:00 PM
Its not a resource issue, I keep my machines clean and malware free, and I
dont install crap that autostarts and fills my tray, but I do find that
system performance is never what is is after 6 months, even kept clean. I
use xp pro and win2k server on all my machines , and 2 are duel bootable to
knoppix (linux). I was just getting some opinions from experience about
keeping things running smoothly.
Dave

--
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the
Borg."
"A product is not necessarily more secure because fewer vulnerabilities are
discovered"
0
Tails1
7/12/2004 2:57:00 AM
I find that the xp "slow down" as you put it isn't from registry problems
like mark said, and it isn't neccisarily from installing alot either.
Granted I do install and have alott of apps, one which I'm rather mad at
right now for zeroing out the first 4 sectors of my compressed ntfs drive
"grrrr" nothing is recoverable unless someone here knows what I can use to
recover the data, like kerry noted use either the windows defragger or if
you want a nice one with set and forget features use diskeeper. It's not
cheap though I've used it for 6 years now with no probs on any of my drives
and it will consolidate your directory tree as well, the choice is yours and
like kerry also noted most slow down's are from installed programs that
possibly have drivers loading during bootup such as nero or other cd burning
software. Has no one here noted that all of the micro$oft window$ os's tend
to occasionally change settings. I find this on computers all the time, but
befor you jump to conclusions format and reinstall a computer from scratch
bet every time is slightly diffrent with xp. Xp is known to react diffrently
with every computer, I'm a network admin and just finished formatting and
installing xp on 5 computers every install was diffrent, but try the install
first you might find that the os isn't at fault it is occasionally hardware
bugs. Mayton82
0
Mayton82
7/13/2004 5:46:00 AM
Yeah thanks for the info, you gave me some things to think about. However
regarding your data loss problem, try knoppix, its a linux "clone" that is
loaded entirely from a bootable cd. Google "knoppix" and get the image from
their site (its free) make sure its the latest version, burn it to a cd,
then boot the computer with the sick drive with it and once its finished you
should be able to mount and view (and copy) the files from your ntfs
partition. (You also have a working os in like 30 seconds :D..Im really
impressed with knoppix and another point as to why open source development
is better) I can't see a bad boot sector like you described stoping you from
doing that. Also the latest version of knoppix claims you can also write to
ntfs partitions once you mount them, however I havent tried it yet but I do
know you can read them, and then use samba to make them available over a tcp
network so you can recover your files. Let me know if you try this and I
will try to help you further if need be.
Dave
--
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the
Borg."
"A product is not necessarily more secure because fewer vulnerabilities are
discovered"
0
Tails1
7/13/2004 1:31:00 PM
Mayton82 wrote:

> ... Has no one here noted that all of the micro$oft window$ os's tend
> to occasionally change settings. I find this on computers all the time

I've never heard of that nor observed it.

> , but
> befor you jump to conclusions format and reinstall a computer from scratch
> bet every time is slightly diffrent with xp. Xp is known to react diffrently
> with every computer,

Different computers maybe, but not the same computer with no hardware
changes. Okay I can't speak for XP but I once installed Win2k on the
same computer about 50 times and never saw the slightest difference. (I
was perfecting a slipstreamed install disc.)

 > I'm a network admin and just finished formatting and
> installing xp on 5 computers every install was diffrent, but try the install
> first you might find that the os isn't at fault it is occasionally hardware
> bugs. Mayton82

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm..."
0
Kerry
7/13/2004 7:08:00 PM
I have had good luck with Raxco Perfect disk.  Used it on 2000 and XP for
some time now with no problems.
0
Chris
7/13/2004 11:02:00 PM
Chris wrote:
> I have had good luck with Raxco Perfect disk.  Used it on 2000 and XP
> for some time now with no problems.

A word of caution:  don't ever uninstall it and then try to re-install.
I did, and now it will not install again.  The Raxco Support has been
no help, and I'm no longer able to use the product I paid for.  Beware . . .
..

--
___
Ted

Installing SUSE 11.4 64 bit on External Hard Disk to Replace 11.2 64 bit on Internal Hard Disk
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and 3 GB RAM. The system has dual iboot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.2 64 bit. Recently I added an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity). I wish to uninstall the 11.2 and install 11.4 on the external drive. There are additional instructions for installing 11.4 on an external disk. a) Will it be possible to uninstall the 11.2 as 11.4 is being installed, leaving the space on the internal disk free for re-allocation to Windows, b) Or should I first uninstall 11.2 repair the Windows ...

Clonning hard disk
Hi, I had managed to clone old hard disc to a new one - multiboot WinXP-DOS-Opensuse 11.3 with Acronis. After solving all (perhaps) problems, I have one question. The last problem - I had to rewrite fstab file. Old fstab: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST380811AS_5PS0EVE3-part3 / ..... New fstab: /dev/sda3 / ... Perhaps there are more configuration files, that use 'by-id' identification. Question - Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification? There is a problem when we change hard disk. How can I rewrite all values with new hard dis...

After installing 11.4 on external hard disk, no booting from primary disk
Hello, I have a laptop, with Suse 11.4 installed and Windows 7, on hda. Now I got an external hard drive (hdc), and I installed also Suse 11.4 there (hdc1 - hdc3); there was an initial question about it: 'How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem) - Page 2' (http://tinyurl.com/3aw2fcb) but that is likely no longer relevant. The installation process installed the boot-loader on hda. So well, seemed necessary to me (though I would have preferred not to mess at all with hda; see below for further comments). Summarising the boot...

external usb disk shows disk, disk-1, disk-2, disk-3, disk-4
Hello all, I am new to linux. I am running openSUSE 11.1 (i586) and I have a maxtor external usb drive attached. I used the backup utility in suse to create a backup job that would copy files to my external hard drive. The problem is that when I disconnect the usb drive or reboot the machine sometimes the drive shows up as a different name. e.g. It first showed up as disk, then disk-1, then disk-2, then disk-3, and now disk-4. This is a problem because the backup utility doesn't know that the drive name changed. I had to update the back-up software to say to write to dr...

Hard Disk frequent head unloads (Disk Clicking whilst idle?)
I created a thread about a problem a I had with my hard disk clicking whilst idle little while ago and I may now have stumbled upon a possible solution. The strange thing with the problem is that Ubuntu/Kubuntu didn't cause this problem but Opensuse 11.2 does. I installed Fedora 13 to have a glimpse of what all the fuss was about and noticed that I had the same problem (hard disk clicking whilst idle ~ every 20 secs or so). Now there's a wiki on this subject and a few bug reports: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues > Problem Description > >...

Device hard disk
Regards all For my learning and trying to understand. On the same PC, with IDE disk : openSUSE 10.2 disk were hda,hdb... openSUSE 10.3 disk were sda,sdb.. Tried openSUSE 11.0 disk were sda,sdb... Tried openSUSE 11.1 disk are hda,hdb.. I wish somebody explain me the reasons of that. By the way on reboot openSUSE 11.1, device "/" busy, hope to reboot (or something like that in msg), but reboots always. How I can see why is busy "/"? Thanks I have same problem every time I reboot my computer. umount: /home device is busy umoun...

Noise from the hard disk
Name: Miko Email: svedeonathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Noise from the hard disk Comments: Hello, i am a French user of Firefox (the new Release Candidate), i have been using it for a couple of hours now, and i have noticed that after using it for a few minutes, my hard disk starts to "make noise", (it's hard to explain), like the noise it does when you launch a research on the HD, some kind of "crrrrrrrr"... :-D It goes on during +/- 10 seconds, then it stops one minute or two, and restart. It doesn't really slow dow...

hard disk serial no
Is anyone have the idea to get hard disk serial no by using pb7? Use Win32 API call: Function long GetVolumeInformationA(string lpRootPathName, ref string lpVolumeNameBuffer, ulong nVolumeNameSize, ref ulong lpVolumeSerialNumber, ref ulong lpMaximumComponentLength, ref ulong lpFileSystemFlags, ref string lpFileSystemNameBuffer, ulong nFileSystemNameSize) Library "KERNEL32.DLL" Renato Di Pauli "Teo" <dkteo@tm.net.my> ha scritto nel messaggio news:43d75c17@forums-2-dub... > Is anyone have the idea to get hard disk serial no by using pb7? >...

Hard disk failure
I recently suffered my first hard disk failure in over 12 years of computing (well, I had a Sinclair QL before that in the mid-80s, but lets not get into the reliability of its microdrives!). I had most of my data backed up, but not the most recent stuff. Fortunately, I subscribe to various grc newsgroups, and had recently read of the "drive in the freezer" trick. I'm glad to say that it worked several times - enough to get most of the unbacked up files off - before the click of death became uncurable. One problem using the recovery console (XP Home) was that i...

How NOT to rescue your hard disk.
Just a bit of fun. We have the technology... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkv_Q-Gir4 Just wanted to say thanks to Mr Gibson for the spark of an idea from when I was listening to the SpinRite testimonials on SN on the way home from work. (And thanks to the hard disk that gave its life so I could make this video.) On Sat, 03 May 2008 14:09:11 +0100, Bill P. Godfrey wrote: > Just a bit of fun. We have the technology... > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkv_Q-Gir4 That is really, really cool. ...

Wipe Hard Disk
I think this forum is OK to post this. It's not Delphi-specific technical, but hardware technical. Besides, this issue seems to be in the news lately... I'm interested in wiping a hard disk clean before giving it away, so no previously stored personal data can be obtained from the disk. Rather than downloading some tool (like DBAN) from the Internet, which seems risky to me, it seems you could write a simple Delphi program to write text (ASCII) characters to a text file (or a series of text files), filling up every byte of every sector, then deleting the files. ...

Hard disk install
My machine doesn't have a dvd drive. Still, i downloaded the OSuse 11.0 DVD and tried to install thought the Hard Disk install. I've copied the contents of the DVD to a partition (ntfs partition). Then, at the HDD install, i've passed the path of the directory that contains the dvd content. The installer recognizes it, loads some things, and bam, some strange error on LinuxRC occurs (error on 0x000..00). Tried some times, same thing. Anyone has an advice or can lend me a hand? ;) Thanks, Leo. -- Darknessmonk ------------------------------------------------------...

turning off hard disks
I keep my computer on 24/7... Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be turned off after xx min of activity.. Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up again?? Kernal32 <unavailable@nospam.org.net> writes: > >I keep my computer on 24/7... >Was looking at power profiles and noticed that the hard disk could be >turned off after xx min of activity.. > >Does this mean that if data has to be written, the disks will spin up >again?? Yes. My experience has been that drives are best left on full...

Hard Disk and Linux
Hello I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem? I hava a recent configuration. -- Aatish910 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Hello > I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I > noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to > hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem? > I hava a recent configuration. ...

Web resources about - Hard Disks and all about them... - grc.techtalk

Disk storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disk storage or disc storage is a general category of storage mechanisms, in which data are digitally recorded by various electronic, magnetic, ...

Seagate Unveils 10 TB Helium-Filled Hard Disk Drive for Cloud Datacenters
Seagate Technology on Wednesday introduced its first helium-filled hard disk drive. The novelty is designed for cloud datacenters that require ...

Files on nearly 200 floppy disks belonging to Star Trek creator recovered
(credit: churl ) According to a press release from DriveSavers data recovery, information on nearly 200 floppy disks that belonged to Star Trek ...

This New Year's Eve, make sure your PC is safely backed up with our O&O Disk Image 9 Downloadcrew Giveaway ...
... a failsafe backup this New Year’s Eve? That’s right, today, December 31 we’re providing you with a 24-hour giveaway of the brilliant O&O DiskImage ...

Windows 10 disk images let users skip wait for November upgrade
Microsoft this week posted links to disk image files in .iso format for Windows 10's first upgrade, giving users a way to install the latest ...

How To Reclaim Your Disk Space After The Most Recent Windows 10 Update
The Windows 10 version 1511, build 10586 update has been rolling out over the last couple of weeks. If you haven’t already been prompted to install ...

What's Hidden on Gene Roddenberry's Secret Floppy Disks?
... custom-made word-processing software. A company called DriveSavers has finally managed to extract the data, but they haven’t revealed the disks’ ...

A Data Recovery Team Successfully Restores Nearly 200 Floppy Disks Owned by Star Trek Creator Gene Roddenberry ...
A data recovery team at DriveSavers has successfully restored nearly 200 floppy disks owned by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry . The recovery ...

Run Disk Cleanup After the Windows November Update to Save 20GB+ of Space
This month, Microsoft released its first major update to Windows 10 . If you’ve already done this upgrade, be sure to run Disk Cleanup. It can ...

This enormous 10TB disk drive will hold just 15 hours of VR content
Solid-state drives might be all the rage in personal computing, but the bar just keeps on rising in high-capacity hard-disk drives. HGST, a ...