Firefox 2.0.0.2 & 2.0.0.3 niggly problem

I just upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to FF v2.0.0.2 a couple days
ago.  Both began doing the same annoying thing.  When I click a URL
shortcut on my desktop or a link in my newsreader, an error box pops up
saying "File http://blahblahblah or one of its components not found.  Make
sure the path and filename are correct."  Then FF goes ahead and loads the
page.

This doesn't happen if FF is already running.  If it's not running, it
happens every time.

I just downloaded 2.0.0.3.  Same story.

Any clues?

--

Dale Beckett
0

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1618 Views

Dale Beckett wrote:

> I just upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to FF v2.0.0.2 a couple
> days ago.  Both began doing the same annoying thing.  When I click a
> URL shortcut on my desktop or a link in my newsreader, an error box
> pops up saying "File http://blahblahblah or one of its components not
> found.  Make sure the path and filename are correct."  Then FF goes
> ahead and loads the page.

Just a hunch - try making IE your default browser and see if it does the
same thing then switch back to Firefox as the default browser and see...
0
Dennis
3/21/2007 2:19:03 AM
Dennis Henderson said....
> Dale Beckett wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to FF v2.0.0.2 a couple
> > days ago.  Both began doing the same annoying thing.  When I click a
> > URL shortcut on my desktop or a link in my newsreader, an error box
> > pops up saying "File http://blahblahblah or one of its components not
> > found.  Make sure the path and filename are correct."  Then FF goes
> > ahead and loads the page.
>
> Just a hunch - try making IE your default browser and see if it does the
> same thing then switch back to Firefox as the default browser and see...

I'll try that.

But this just gets better and better.  I installed 2.0.0.3 an hour ago.  My
FF just downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2 without any warning.

What's this about?

--

Dale Beckett
0
"Dale Beckett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> But this just gets better and better.  I installed 2.0.0.3 an hour ago.
My
> FF just downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2 without any warning.
>
> What's this about?

Did you install RC1 or the final release of 2.0.0.3?

Bob Vanderveen

0
Anonymous
3/21/2007 3:39:30 AM
Dennis Henderson said....
> Dale Beckett wrote:
>
> > []
>
> Just a hunch - try making IE your default browser and see if it does the
> same thing then switch back to Firefox as the default browser and see...

IE didn't work at all. "IEXPLO~1.BAK not found".  I have no idea what
that's about.  However, when I went back to FF, it worked without a hitch.

Thanks Dennis.

--

Dale Beckett
0
> > FF just downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2 without any warning.
> >
> > What's this about?
>
> Did you install RC1 or the final release of 2.0.0.3?
>
> Bob Vanderveen

It was the final, the one Dennis Henderson posted in
grc.news.latestversions.

I did the first upgrade from the "Help | Check for Updates" menu, which
apparently only downloads some core file(s).

I wiped the whole thing from my drive, including my profile, and used the
5.7 MB installer to put 2.0.0.3 back on.  It seems to be happy now.  I know
I am.  :)

--

Dale Beckett
0
Dale Beckett wrote:

> I wiped the whole thing from my drive, including my profile, and used
> the 5.7 MB installer to put 2.0.0.3 back on.  It seems to be happy
> now.  I know I am.  :)

That troubleshooting step is pretty much guaranteed to work.  ;-)
It's too bad you had to go that far but good that it's fixed now.
0
Dennis