127.0.0.1 8118

Greetings;
I am tinkering with a proxy setup (privoxy), -flailing in the dark
basically:
I have specified proxy settings in Browser (IE5): 127.0.0.1   8118
(localhost 8118 didn't work).
(I think) I know that  127.0.0.1  is my own computer (localhost).
And i think  81 somehow connects my Browser to my proxy program,
but what is the 18?  (a port address on my ISP?).
AND what are some of the standard port defaults (80  i think is standard ISP
proxy port?).
Thanks!
--
��
 V  e r n      www.parentpresent.org

> Greetings;
> I am tinkering with a proxy setup (privoxy), -flailing in the dark
> basically:
> I have specified proxy settings in Browser (IE5): 127.0.0.1   8118
> (localhost 8118 didn't work).
> (I think) I know that  127.0.0.1  is my own computer (localhost).
> And i think  81 somehow connects my Browser to my proxy program,
> but what is the 18?  (a port address on my ISP?).
> AND what are some of the standard port defaults (80  i think is
> standard ISP proxy port?).
> Thanks!

Most proxy servers run on your own computer will use ports 8080 or 8100,
although some will let you specify other ports if you want to and/or will
be setup on a different port.

Port 80 by itself is used commonly for HTTP traffic (meaning web servers).

I don't know anything about privoxy, but if it wants 8118 in your web
browser settings, then it is using port 8118.  Your browser would connect
to port 8118, which would be where the privoxy program is operating on your
system, and from there privoxy would connect to the web through port 80 to
contact web sites (your ISP's or anyone else's).

If privoxy uses a port other than 8118, then the process is the same and
you would just substitute that number for the 8118 in the explanation
above.

HTH.
--
Gorilla
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

It's a sourceforge thing Gorilla, yes it does use port 8118.

Vern Gorilla is correct, the idea is that instead of your browser connecting
to port 80 (The default port for HTML on a web server) directly it is
Privoxy that connects outside, filters what comes in and then passes the
filtered output to the browser. It sends this output to port 8118 on your
own machine so the browser connects to it on that port. It acts as a sort of
go-between. I didn't know if you were aware of the FAQ on this page, I
haven't read in detail but if you still have difficulty maybe the answer is
there?

Let us know how you get on with it, might be of great interest to some
people in the pivacy / security groups too.

Charlie
0
Charlie
5/11/2002 1:05:00 PM
Charlie;
Well, i've been tinkering with Privoxy for a couple days now.

It can do most of what i need. Quite remarkable actually.
The only prob is, its written in C . So i am drivng blind.
I hate to pass it along to my users saying, 'use this, it seems to work
great'.
I would like to find a way to translate it to Delphi, or find a free basic
Delphi personal proxy and
add the features i need.

Check outgoing request for new URL page.
Check URL request against a TrustFile.
If URL is in TrustFile, if its a Trusted site, then go there.
If URL not in TrustFile, Then redirect to new URL.

Any ideas along this line?
Thanks!
--
��
 V  e r n      www.parentpresent.org
"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> http://www.privoxy.org/faq/
>
> It's a sourceforge thing Gorilla, yes it does use port 8118.
>
> Vern Gorilla is correct, the idea is that instead of your browser
connecting
> to port 80 (The default port for HTML on a web server) directly it is
> Privoxy that connects outside, filters what comes in and then passes the
> filtered output to the browser. It sends this output to port 8118 on your
> own machine so the browser connects to it on that port. It acts as a sort
of
> go-between. I didn't know if you were aware of the FAQ on this page, I
> haven't read in detail but if you still have difficulty maybe the answer
is
> there?
>
> Let us know how you get on with it, might be of great interest to some
> people in the pivacy / security groups too.
>
> Charlie

0
vm
5/12/2002 12:37:00 AM
> Well, i've been tinkering with Privoxy for a couple days now.
[snipped]
> I would like to find a way to translate it to Delphi, or find a free
> basic Delphi personal proxy and
> add the features i need.
[snipped]
> Any ideas along this line?
> Thanks!

This may not be too much help because it is not exactly what you were looking
for, but it may be a place to start.

Here is a web server written in Delphi:
http://www.ritlabs.com/tinyweb/

You may be able to convert it to a proxy server if you can deduce enough
about how it works to make the necessary modifications.  I haven't seen any
other Delphi applications along those lines that offer the source code.

--
Gorilla
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
"Gorilla" <gorilla@(removethistoreply)accs-net.com> wrote in message

> > Well, i've been tinkering with Privoxy for a couple days now.
> [snipped]
> > I would like to find a way to translate it to Delphi, or find a free
> > basic Delphi personal proxy and
> > add the features i need.
> [snipped]
> > Any ideas along this line?
> > Thanks!
>
> This may not be too much help because it is not exactly what you were
looking
> for, but it may be a place to start.
>
> Here is a web server written in Delphi:
> http://www.ritlabs.com/tinyweb/
>
> You may be able to convert it to a proxy server if you can deduce enough
> about how it works to make the necessary modifications.  I haven't seen
any
> other Delphi applications along those lines that offer the source code.
>
> --
> Gorilla
> http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
0
vm
5/13/2002 9:38:00 PM
> Oh, Thanks.
> Yes, this looks real promissing!
> I'll keep youz posted.

Glad to hear it - I wasn't too sure if you thought that would be too much
work or not, but it looked like a good place to start.  Hope it works out
for you.

--
Stuart (aka Gorilla)
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

I uninstalled PRIVOXY, then (now) trying to get Tiny Web going.
I emailed author, but no reply yet.

--
��
 V  e r n      www.parentpresent.org
0
vm
5/15/2002 1:30:00 AM
<You may be able to convert it to a proxy server >
Hmmm.. whats the diff between a web servr and a proxy server?
Maybe that's why i am having so much trouble getting it to even run!
Thanks!
--
��
 V  e r n      www.parentpresent.org
> <You may be able to convert it to a proxy server >
> Hmmm.. whats the diff between a web servr and a proxy server?
> Maybe that's why i am having so much trouble getting it to even run!
> Thanks!

You would want the proxy server to only accept connections from your
localhost (127.0.0.1) address and not from the Internet or LAN addresses.
A web server, generally speaking, would accept connections from any
internal or external address.

Since you only need the proxy server to provide functionality within a
single system, you would not allow connections from the outside.  This
makes the proxy server faster (doesn't have to deal with outside
requests) and more secure (outside requests or "hacks" can't mess with
it).

Obviously, you still need to proxy server to connect to the remote
websites you are browsing and receive information (web pages, etc.) from
those sites.

Essentially, it would go something like this:
You typed "www.microsoft.com" into your browser.
    	\/
Your browser connects to your proxy server (instead of MS directly)
    	\/
Proxy server processes the request
    	\/
Proxy server applies rules to the request
    	\/
If request doesn't flag a rule, proxy server continues
(if it flags a rule, it sends error message or whatever to browser)
    	\/
Proxy server then contacts www.microsoft.com
    	\/
Proxy server receives the web page from MS
    	\/
Proxy server processes the page and checks it against rules
    	\/
If request doesn't flag a rule, proxy server continues
(if it flags a rule, it eliminates the ad or whatever before passing on)
    	\/
Proxy server then sends that page to the browser, which displays it
    	\/
Process repeats for each link you click on, etc.

That is kind of the general idea.  I'm not sure how else to explain it if
that didn't help.  The only examples of straight proxy servers that I
have seen were written in either C or Java, so they probably wouldn't be
too helpful.

After another check just now, I did find one example that might help:

www.w3.org/Protocols/PEP/PEPmodel/src/classes/doc/SampleSession.html

It has good comments and is a more detailed/better explanation than I
gave above.

Here's another one with some explanations:
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/Labs/Lccn/projects/spring97/project9/

Also, try going through the Google results here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8
&q=writing+a+proxy+server

Even if you don't understand the code, the comments may be helpful enough
for you to be able to implement the same thing in Delphi.

--
Stuart (aka Gorilla)
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

127.0.0.1 Sweet 127.0.0.1
Four days off starting tomorrow and am staying home! Love it!! -- seabirdII ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I think I heard seabirdII say something like: > Four days off starting tomorrow and am staying home! Love it!! Nice! I went through a couple months of 4 day weekends, they get addicting. Stevo On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:38:10 +0000, Stevo wrote: > Nice! I went through a couple months of 4 day weekends, they get > addicting. Same with 4-day work weeks, which I start this week until the end of November...

Can't use 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.1
Hello all, I have the following in my system: - cat /etc/resolv.conf search site simba: kdcadm - ifconfig lo Link encap Loopback inet address 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0 inet 6 addr :: 1/128 Scope: Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 ... ... - iwconfig lo no wireless connections - route (I get the following) Destination: loopback Gateway : * Genmask : 255.0.0.0 Flags : U Metric : 0 Ref : 0 Use : 0 Iface : lo I need to be able to configure the host so that it is ~not~ using 127.0.0.1 but 192.168.x.x. I need the host of &q...

!27.0.0.1 vs. 0.0.0.0
I can use any number of tools to see what ports I have listening and/or connected. But among the *Listening* ports, some are 127.0.0.1 and some are 0.0.0.0. What is the difference between 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 ? Since I've got both - there MUST be a difference. Thanks, Alan 0.0.0.0 stands for all interfaces (example: yourIPaddress,127.0.0.1-127.254.254.254) 127.0.0.1 stands for local interface only (127.0.0.1) > 0.0.0.0 stands for all interfaces > (example: yourIPaddress,127.0.0.1-127.254.254.254) > > 127.0.0.1 stands for local interface only (127....

0.0.0.0
Can someone tell me the function of this scan? FWIN,2001/08/28,20:06:43 -6:00 GMT,0.0.0.0:800,255.255.255.255:800,UDP "Ben" <notben@home.com> wrote in message news:9mhion$2hf9$1@news.grc.com... > Can someone tell me the function of this scan? > FWIN,2001/08/28,20:06:43 -6:00 GMT,0.0.0.0:800,255.255.255.255:800,UDP Ben, I haven't a clue. 800 TCP mdbs_daemon 800 UDP mdbs_daemon http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#3.6 http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#3.2 -- ...

0.0.0.0 ????
Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? Thanks for educating the uneducated. In article <MPG.18bf7ade16e851cb989680@news.grc.com>, shr@p.com says... > > > Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? > > Thanks for educating the uneducated. > Any available adapter - i.e. not bound to specific IP address. -- Bloated Elvis In article <MPG.18bf7ade16e851cb989680@news.grc.com>, shr@p.com says... > > > Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? > > Thanks for educating the une...

63.0.0.0.0/255..0.0.0
Has anyone ever heard of this or know where it goes to.It was asking permission to act as a server? Thanks in advance for any help. "pb" <nothing@nomail.com> wrote in message news:9pa1u4$38b$1@news.grc.com... > Has anyone ever heard of this or know where it goes to.It was asking > permission to act as a server? Thanks in advance for any help. If it shows in your firewall log, can you post a copy of it? -- � -- Robert grc.com forum FAQ - http://grc.com/discussions.htm grc.com forum quick reference - http://grc.com/nntpquickref.htm grc.com forum disclaim...

BitCannon V.0.0.0.0.1
I got fed up with how slow file transfers over instant messaging clients are, so I made this: http://ossbox.com/bitcannon.htm (sorry for the terrible web page) _QUOTE_ BitCannon is an easy to use secure file transfer program. It lets you send and receive files over the internet through a direct and encrypted connection. By using BitCannon, you'll be able to send files to your friends as fast as your internet connection will allow. All of your data is securely encrypted and authenticated, so you'll never have to worry about anyone else being able to see the files you send! ...

127.0.0.1 what is this?
When I look at netstat -an I find the following: Proto TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 Foreign address Listening In addition to other 10## port numbers. What does this mean? TIA Cel "Cel" <cyclecel@localnet.com> wrote: >When I look at netstat -an I find the following: >Proto TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 Foreign address Listening In addition to >other 10## port numbers. What does this mean? To your machine, that means "me." It's the localhost or "loopback" address. It's how your machine refers to itself, and it's an address you ...

me@127.0.0.1
Mediacom's smtp server just bounced it... me@127.0.0.1 Of course if the spammer were using a fake "From" address then some other unlucky person would have got the bounce. So I guess it works but in some cases at least results in a second message (the bounce) to someone possibly not involved at all. Similar email to me@nowhere.invalid hasn't done anything... nor I believe should it do anything but sometimes bouncers don't come right back... Charlie "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message news:bo0ref$58l$1@news.grc.com... &...

127.0.0.1
> dear group > rencently there was a refence to 127.0.0.1 ive notice this i.p address getting > into my browser and certain apps making reference to it why is it at times > ive had this address get into my browser which is IE 5.5 by the way there > have been times when ive launched IE that i see this adress in the bottom of > my browser why is it gets in and stuffs up my browser can u help please what i > mean is i cant access the internet it keeps looping around and around and > going nowhere i know its cause its looping around my computer how do i get >...

Who is 127.0.0.1 :-))
Hi All Well at last Kerio and I are on friendly terms.and it seems to working really well.However I am a little puzzled as to what the log file entry below is trying to tell me.When I first installed Kerio I let it "apply" the rule for Outlook Express in the "make rule and permit" and have had no problems in regard to sending and recieving e-mails.It is the local host IP that has me curious because is'nt 127.0.0.1 my own machine;so why would Outlook Express be trying to send something to that address,and is it something I should be allowing? "Rule '...

127.0.0.1 ?
Dear group, I have been dealing with a series of security attacks on my computer. And recently, my commercial firewall started showing 127.0.0.1. as my IP address. I'm quite the newbie, but I now know that 127.0.0.1 doesn't really exist. I'm told its a "loopback" address used to hide connections to other computers. All of my network settings (in Win98) seem normal. But my computer continues to connect to fake IP's like the one listed above. I suspect that a malicious system file has been planted on my machine. But I can't seem to find it. Can an...

1.5.0.0.3 vs 1.5.0.0.4
I have had numerous difficulties with FF 1.5.0.0.4, in particular, some sites often just hang when I click on links. A particularly bad site is Dell http://www.dell.com/, which - when I try to configure a computer - gets all kinds of "waiting for dell" status bar messages. I tried it with a clean profile, to no avail. It works flawlessly with IE. I downloaded fresh copies of 1.5.0.3 and 1.5.0.4 with the intent of uninstalling the latter and then trying the former. *The uninstall process hung*. So I installed 1.5.0.3 on top of 1.5.0.4. The Dell site now works fl...

Upgrade OES 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 / sp3 to sp4
I need to upgrade 1 OES Netware 1.0.0 server to 1.0.1. Is NW65sp4a.exe the best way to upgrade the OES server? Some documentation says to use the iso, the forums say use the .exe ? Thanks for any advice. The iso is for new installs, the .exe is the upgrade for existing servers. NW65SP4a is for the Netware kernel, is that what you are using ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ Yes - I'm using the Netware kernel - thanks for the response. Would I use the iso to upgrade from nw60sp4 ? Yes. -- Andre...

Web resources about - 127.0.0.1 8118 - grc.techtalk

That Trump terrorist video was Hillary’s idea.
Hillary Clinton in cahoots with terrorists in order to win an election. It’s a pretty interesting thought. Ethics and the Clintons rarely intersect. ...

Indian security forces wind up operation after airbase attack
Xinhua Indian security forces wind up operation after airbase attack Xinhua Indian security force personnel stand outside an attacked Indian ...

Saudi to pay ‘high price’ for executing Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr: Iran
Nimr, 56, was a driving force of the protests that broke out in 2011 in Eastern Province, where the Shiite minority of Saudi Arabia complains ...

Toshiba and Bill Nye take you behind the scenes for New Year's Eve in Times Square
It's 2016 now time seems to fly. On New Year's Eve many revelers around the world gathered in various locations including Sydney, London, Rio ...

Singer Natalie Cole Dies of Heart Failure at 65
Grammy award-winning singer and songwriter Natalie Cole died in L.A. on Thursday at age 65, according to a statement from her family. Read more... ...

Dancing With The Stars' Witney Carson Marries Carson McAllister on New Year's Day 2016
Congrats to Witney Carson and her new husband, Carson McAllister ! The couple tied the knot on New Year’s Day (January 1) 2016 in South Jordan, ...

Bill Cosby, Bill Lynn and undue process
PROSECUTIONS ARE like snowflakes, no two the same. Sometimes, you have a low-profile drunken-driving case where the defendant is a first-time ...

McCaffrey tops off all-time great season by lifting Stanford to Rose Bowl title
Los Angeles Times McCaffrey tops off all-time great season by lifting Stanford to Rose Bowl title San Jose Mercury News By Greg Frazier. Daily ...