..question for W2000 tech's

I'm going to install a W2000pro installation for a basic home user setup.

My question is about updating it.

I'm going first slipstream SP4 with my old original CD - that's easy.

Does SP4 require any certain version of IE to be on the CD first?

Anything else to know before I start?

thanks,
Rick
0
Rick

Let me clarify a little just in case, I'm just creating a bootable
W2000proSP4 cd from my old original version CD, and I have everything to do
it and know how, but my only question is, unlike WXP which I've done
already and its wxpsp1 already has IE6SP1 incorporated in it which was very
nice, but as far as W2000pro I do remember many conversations awhile ago
here about it that at that time before you made a slipstream you needed to
update the IE version, or ??? first ..or something along those lines that
needed to be done first - and so I wanted to double check this year with
SP4 to find out, if anything, what special requirements that it needs to
see first?
0
Rick
4/2/2004 5:59:00 PM
I just found my saved post of Mikes from 2 years ago about the matter, even
though he wasn't talking about slipstreaming persay, and so now I am, and
basically want to know if anything needs to be done with my old CD version?
...which of course I'll make an iso of it first and then do my thing with it..

copy/paste of Mike's post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp?productid=119
> &servicepackid=0
> and for IE 5.5 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp?productid=80
> &servicepackid=0 .
>
> * KNOWN SP3 PROBLEMS
>    For a list of known Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) problems,
> including Win2K Server Terminal Services client print issues, a blue
> screen during shutdown problem, and a profile-unload error, visit the
> following URL:
> http://www.winnetmag.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=26569
>
> --
> Michael
> - "anyone who is honestly trying to [live a life of belief] will soon
> find his intelligence sharpened."  C.S. Lewis
0
Rick
4/2/2004 6:11:00 PM
>I'm going to install a W2000pro installation for a basic home user setup.
>My question is about updating it.
>I'm going first slipstream SP4 with my old original CD - that's easy.
>Does SP4 require any certain version of IE to be on the CD first?

No. The combined W2K SP4 will install the same version of IE that the original
installation did (IE 5.01?). IE is not included with service packs. After you
are through with the basic setup (hardware, etc.), then you can install IE 6 SP1
and visit Windows Update.

>Anything else to know before I start?

Just the usual precaution to have your hardware setup disks handy.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com
0
Crash
4/2/2004 8:04:00 PM
"Crash" Dummy wrote:

> No. The combined W2K SP4 will install the same version of IE that the
> original installation did (IE 5.01?). IE is not included with service
> packs. After you are through with the basic setup (hardware, etc.), then
> you can install IE 6 SP1 and visit Windows Update.

Hi Dave,

I realize that the IESP is not included in the W2KSP, but the point I am trying
to understand about the information within Mike's post is about the reasons why
it says:

> Win2K SP3 contains 35 security hotfixes, some dating as far
> back as 2000. These hotfixes represent only a subset of the hotfixes
> Microsoft published before releasing Win2K SP3. Win2K SP3 doesn't
> install 16 published hotfixes from 2002 or any security hotfixes dated
> later than Security Bulletin > MS02-029 (release date July 2, 2002).

I thought that SP4 would be All Inclusive and contain cumulative of every
single update/hotfix that belongs to W2000?  Right?  But that paragraph is
saying I need 16 other hotfixes that are not is the SP to be installed first???

Also, to take another piece from within his post:

> To avoid the access violation, upgrade IE 5.5 to SP2 or to IE 6.0 before
> you apply Win2K SP3.

...and so here it is saying to install the IE before applying SP3???

 ...and so in summary my point was and I'm asking for clarification if all this
fiasco about the installing the extra 16 hotfixes and the IESP - First, before
installing the W2KSP3 still true?  ...or has all that been resolved in SP4 so
that we don't even have to think about it ???

Thank you,
Rick

> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com
0
Rick
4/4/2004 10:50:00 PM
> ...and so in summary my point was and I'm asking for clarification if all this
>fiasco about the installing the extra 16 hotfixes and the IESP - First, before
>installing the W2KSP3 still true?  ...or has all that been resolved in SP4 so
>that we don't even have to think about it ???

Since I have never installed W2KSP4 from scratch, I can't give you a definitive
answer, but there are hotfixes and there are hotfixes. Patches for IE are not
considered to be patches for W2K, and vice-versa. In any event, it should not
matter one way or the other which you install first. The installer won't
overwrite a newer build of something without asking.

If you go to the store and buy W2K, you will likely get W2K SP4. That's what you
would install first because that is all you can do. You can't install IE6 or any
hotfixes on a bare drive. That is the practice I follow, install the O.S. and
any Service Packs first, set up the hardware, etc., then install applications
and updates, including IE. You'll have to ask Mike why he would do it
differently.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com
0
Crash
4/4/2004 11:32:00 PM
"Crash" Dummy wrote:
>> ...and so in summary my point was and I'm asking for clarification if
>>all this fiasco about the installing the extra 16 hotfixes and the IESP
>>- First, before installing the W2KSP3 still true?  ...or has all that
>>been resolved in SP4 so that we don't even have to think about it ???
>
> Since I have never installed W2KSP4 from scratch, I can't give you a
> definitive answer, but there are hotfixes and there are hotfixes.
> Patches for IE are not considered to be patches for W2K, and vice-versa.

Yes of course I realize that IE fixes are not W2K fixes, and that IE is not
incorporated into 2K SP's like it is with XP which I mentioned all that
already.  Maybe I over detailed my wonderings and didn't make clear my
question, but anyway after reading the paragraph that I quoted again for the
5th time - I think I see now what they were saying which I think it was just
simply, in my own words, that at the time of the post there were lots more
updates that were made after 2K SP3 was released and so to be sure to get those
too, and of course IE is a separate issue and dealt with accordingly..

The way that the Mike quoting the paula winnetmag.com post was all worded
to&fro within itself I guess made me scratch my head a few times - but I think
is all a non-issue at this point so no worries...

...thanks Dave for your willingness, appreciate your time.

Rick

> In any event, it should not matter one way or the other which you
> install first. The installer won't overwrite a newer build of something
> without asking.
>
> If you go to the store and buy W2K, you will likely get W2K SP4. That's
> what you would install first because that is all you can do. You can't
> install IE6 or any hotfixes on a bare drive. That is the practice I
> follow, install the O.S. and any Service Packs first, set up the
> hardware, etc., then install applications and updates, including IE.
> You'll have to ask Mike why he would do it differently.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com
0
Rick
4/5/2004 2:20:00 PM
>Maybe I over detailed my wonderings and didn't make clear my question

I'm easily confused. :-)

>I think I see now what they were saying which I think it was just
>simply, in my own words, that at the time of the post there were lots more
>updates that were made after 2K SP3 was released and so to be sure to get
>those too, and of course IE is a separate issue and dealt with accordingly..

That's true with SP4, also, although to a lesser degree. Windows Update should
always be your first stop on the internet after a new installation.
crash@gpick.com
http://lists.gpick.com
0
Crash
4/5/2004 3:28:00 PM
"Crash" Dummy wrote:
>>Maybe I over detailed my wonderings and didn't make clear my question
>
> I'm easily confused. :-)

I'm too sometimes..   (..i wasn't about to let you be alone with that one  -:)

>>I think I see now what they were saying which I think it was just
>>simply, in my own words, that at the time of the post there were lots
>>more updates that were made after 2K SP3 was released and so to be sure
>>to get those too, and of course IE is a separate issue and dealt with
>>accordingly..

> That's true with SP4, also, although to a lesser degree. Windows Update
> should always be your first stop on the internet after a new
> installation. --

uggg, WU is maybe my last place to go, not that there is anything wrong with
it - it's just that I like to be independent from that and so I'll use all my
locally saved updates as I've always done with SE & WXP, or even now 2nd to
last I can use the new update CD from MS I got in the mail last week...
Then when I'm all done I will go to the WU just to see if I missed anything -:)

thanks again,
Rick

> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com
> http://lists.gpick.com
0
Rick