.Net security update KB917283) won't install and repeatedly tries

Help - this security update will not install for some reason and continues to
try to download and install.

How do I kill this inane action?

thx
--
Lionel B. Dyck  <><
AIM ID: lbdyck

I've found that some updates require you to Start > shutdown and reboot
your computer before it will finish the install.

Torrance

Lionel B. Dyck wrote:
> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and
> continues to try to download and install.
>
> How do I kill this inane action?
>
> thx
0
Torrance
7/14/2006 12:38:27 AM
Torrance Bell wrote:
> I've found that some updates require you to Start > shutdown and reboot
> your computer before it will finish the install.
>
> Torrance
>
> Lionel B. Dyck wrote:
>> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and
>> continues to try to download and install.
>>
>> How do I kill this inane action?
>>
>> thx

True but this one would not do a clean install. I found how to tell the windows
update to ignore this update so I won't see it anymore.

--
Lionel B. Dyck  <><
AIM ID: lbdyck
Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com
0
Lionel
7/14/2006 1:20:20 AM
Lionel B. Dyck wrote:
> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and
> continues to try to download and install.
>
> How do I kill this inane action?

I saw a workaround in one of the MS newsgroups. IIRC, a repair of .Net
in the Add/Remove applet followed by the installation of the security
update was successful for at least several folks with this issue. Of
course, YMMV.

--
Jordan
0
"Lionel B. Dyck" <lbdyck@ca.astound.net> wrote in message
> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and
> continues to try to download and install.
>
> How do I kill this inane action?
>
> thx
> --
> Lionel B. Dyck  <><
> AIM ID: lbdyck
> Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com
This is an item of major discussion on the MS windowsupdate newsgroup.
Go to
microsoft.public.windowsupdate and do a find on 917283. There have been
so many
questions that the MVPs have gotten a bit snippy about this and tell new
posters to
do this find. There is a fix as I recall. I personally did a repair
install of .NET 2.0 and then it installed the update ok.

0
Pen
7/14/2006 2:17:55 PM
> Torrance Bell wrote:
>> I've found that some updates require you to Start > shutdown and reboot
>> your computer before it will finish the install.
>>
>> Torrance
>>
>> Lionel B. Dyck wrote:
>>> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and
>>> continues to try to download and install.
>>>
>>> How do I kill this inane action?
>>>
>>> thx
>
> True but this one would not do a clean install. I found how to tell the
> windows update to ignore this update so I won't see it anymore.

-----------------------

Windows updates seem to cause a LOT of problems for people. I've had my
share. One thing you should do: if reading the windows description of an
update indicates that you have to reboot, or might have to reboot after
installation, then you should only install those types of updates one at a
time, rebooting after every download.

I used to have updates regularly fail to install, but since I started to do
the above, I've never had an install failure. Yes, it could be just a
coincidence.

-Bob

0
Bob
7/14/2006 4:25:38 PM
Bob Anderson wrote:
> "Lionel B. Dyck" <lbdyck@ca.astound.net> wrote in message
>> Torrance Bell wrote:
>>> I've found that some updates require you to Start > shutdown and reboot
>>> your computer before it will finish the install.
>>>
>>> Torrance

>> True but this one would not do a clean install. I found how to tell the
>> windows update to ignore this update so I won't see it anymore.
>>
> -----------------------
>
> Windows updates seem to cause a LOT of problems for people. I've had my
> share. One thing you should do: if reading the windows description of an
> update indicates that you have to reboot, or might have to reboot after
> installation, then you should only install those types of updates one at a
> time, rebooting after every download.

> I used to have updates regularly fail to install, but since I started to do
> the above, I've never had an install failure. Yes, it could be just a
> coincidence.

Well, it's always worked flawlessly when I go looking for them. But a
couple of points: I always choose "Custom" install and then remove the
WGA Notification tool from the install list. To prevent slip ups where I
download updates I don't want, I set my firewall to prompt me if Windows
Update tries to download anything.

--
Le Flake
 From deepest, darkest Ontario
"Le Flake" <le_flake@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

> Well, it's always worked flawlessly when I go looking for them. But a
> couple of points: I always choose "Custom" install and then remove the WGA
> Notification tool from the install list. To prevent slip ups where I
> download updates I don't want, I set my firewall to prompt me if Windows
> Update tries to download anything.

--------------------------

Yes, 'notify me of updates but don't download' and  'custom' install is the
way to go. Actually, I have notification turned off as well. I just check in
every patch Tuesday.

And always read at least the brief description of the update. Otherwise you
may end up installing a daylight savings adjustment for Australia  <g>.

-Bob

0
Bob
7/14/2006 8:12:35 PM
"Lionel B. Dyck" <lbdyck@ca.astound.net> wrote in message
> Help - this security update will not install for some reason and continues
> to try to download and install.
>
> How do I kill this inane action?

I had the same problem.  Fixed it by uninstalling .net.  <grin>

But seriously, if you're got something that requires .net (dumb HP printers
for example) uninstalling and then reinstalling the v1.1 .net (and the hot
fix) did allow the patch to download successfully.

-bb

0
bb

Security updates won't install
I have followed the recent discussion in this forum concerning updates that don't install, but as it veered in a different direction I thought I'd start a new thread. I run SuSE 11.0 and the updater offers me various updates. All of them install except four security updates. As soon as I click on the updater triangle it starts updating but within a few seconds the triangle returns as if nothing happened. I followed the advice and used zypper to clean and refresh my repositories. I did an "all packages" update through YaST software management. Lot's of probl...

Failed Update won't stop trying to install
Name: Ernest M Walk Email: walk_ematcomcastdotnet or walk_em@yahoodotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Failed Update won't stop trying to install Comments: Newest Thunderbird automatic update has failed and continues to try to install over and over. I know this is the wrong place to complain, but I can't stop it or delete it. Is there a fix? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

FF won't add Adobe site to exceptions, can't install update!
Name: Andrew Email: andrewmfryatLYCOSdotCOM Product: Firefox Summary: FF won't add Adobe site to exceptions, can't install update! Comments: I try to update add-ons, your site says adobe plug-in needs to be updated, I go to adobe's site, it says to add to the exceptions list to allow in firefox, I try that, but firefox will not add it to the lilst! I type in the adobe address and click allow but it does not add it. I go outr of firefox and back in and try again, still nothing. Consequently, the adobe plug-in update cannot be installed! I have latest firefox versi...

openSUSE updater won't install updates!
When I click to install the updates (and enter the password) it says, "updating..." for a few seconds and then the dark red triangle comes back and it says there's new software available, and it's the same things as before (and it never installs them). Any idea what this could be? Using: Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-default openSUSE 11.0 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 63.3 -- 6tr6tr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have you tried doing it with zypper ref zypper up or from Yast - Software Management? --...

Won't send, won't receive, won't do anything but send me rejection messages!
I keep getting messages such as these: Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum c= onnections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to re= duce the number of cached connections. Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM= TP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again. I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one = of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s= o there is no way...

Smart Tags won't open and some Intellisense won't fully work after installing LINQ CTP
I have installed the latest LINQ CTP.Some of the Intellisense stopped working. For example, writing:List<int> l=new with a space in the end, generally gives me a list of items, and List<int> is selected by default so I can press tab and get it written. After Installing LINQ it seems to be gone... Means no Intellisense is given. Only when hitting Ctrl+Space the list is shown but the default option is not selected.Another thing, when a smart tag is appears I'm unable to open it, hovering the small line expands the icon, but clicking the icon does nothing. Tried to hit Shift+Alt...

Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin
Name: Scott Coppersmith Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin Comments: Firefox 3 beta 4 "forgets" that the flash plugin is installed and when it tries to autoinstall I get the error "install-977..rdf (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist" It started doing this with Beta 3 after I installed the DownloadHelper add-on. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

I keep trying to install the latest download (update) but it is unable to install. I don't know why.
Name: Deborah Bayer Product: Firefox Summary: I keep trying to install the latest download (update) but it is unable to install. I don't know why. Comments: See above Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

asp.net 1.1 project won't update dll's
 I have a solution containing multiple projects.  I added a refence to each object in the main project but the bin folder never updates with the new dll's. I can see the new dll's in the debug/obj path and the properties for the references are set correctly including copy local = true. Does anyone know how to fix this? The other projects are probably not being built when the first one is.  Try this, highlight your solution, click Build (main menu bar)>Configuration Manager.  When you build one you want to build another right?  If so, check the boxes. T...

Stored Proc won't update from C# .NET code, but will update when testing on its own.
I'm having a strange problem that I can't figure out. I have an SQL stored procedure that updates a small database table. When testing the Stored Procedure from the Server Explorer, it works fine. However, when I run the C# code that's supposed to use it, the data doesn't get saved. The C# code seems to run correctly and the parameters that are passed to the SP seem to be okay. No exceptions are thrown. The C# code:    SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["touristsConnectionString"].ConnectionString); SqlCommand cmd...

The update won't install
Name: Fred Lord Email: cflordatverizondotnet Product: Firefox Summary: The update won't install Comments: I have tried innumerable times to install this update on my computer running Windows Vista. Each time, as it gets to the end of the install it tells me it can't complete it because some permissions are missing or something. this is not a network computer and I installed this version of Firefox without problem. I don't understand the problem with this. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0....

Web resources about - .Net security update KB917283) won't install and repeatedly tries - grc.techtalk

James Harden Falls Asleep on Defense. Repeatedly. [DAL@HOU, 11/14/15] - YouTube
James "Defensive Juggernaut" Haren plays no D against big D. Rockets trainers are still trying to awake him from this deep slumber. Created for ...

NSA broke privacy rules repeatedly, audit says
The National Security Agency has broken privacy rules or overstepped its legal authority thousands of times each year since Congress granted ...

Authorities repeatedly warned of dangers to baby girl
Child protection authorities were warned 11 times of dangers to a three-month-old Canberra girl before her death.

Marketing calls harassing Australians repeatedly
AUSTRALIANS are bombarded with more than a million maddening marketing phone calls every day.

Church pays legal costs of paedophile priests - repeatedly
THE Catholic Church has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees to defend priests and brothers who have already been tried and convicted ...

Lawnton teen repeatedly stabbed in torso
A teenage girl has been repeatedly stabbed in the torso north of Brisbane.

Cop repeatedly capsicum sprayed student
Cop repeatedly capsicum sprayed student

Child abuse royal commission: Staff at Winlaton 'bungled' handling of teenage girl repeatedly abused ...
Staff bungled the handling of a 14-year-old girl staying at the Winlaton Youth Training Centre whose father went on to abuse her for decades, ...

Fischer Repeatedly Asserts That Janet Jenkins Sexually Abused Her Daughter - YouTube
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/bryan-fischer-trying-get-himself-sued Bryan Fischer says Lisa Miller had no choice but to kidnap her daughter ...

Oscar Pistorius lied repeatedly, prosecutor says in closing argument
The chief prosecutor in Oscar Pistorius's murder trial said Thursday in closing arguments that the athlete repeatedly lied during testimony in ...