It's Linux !? No, it's BSD ! No, no, it's...

kFreeBSD
http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
0
ObiWan
6/22/2009 7:50:23 PM
📁 grc.techtalk.linux
📃 3969 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 18 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2503 Views

ObiWan wrote:
> kFreeBSD
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>
> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !

Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because they
can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why
It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian packages. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson
Registered Linux User #380263
>> kFreeBSD
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>>
>> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because
> they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why
and it's not just "because they can" :)
> It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian packages. :)
sure; but please, let's avoid starting a "religion war", I love
"beastie"
(FreeBSD) and I think it has a really *good* kernel, and seeing the
linux packaging and stuff running on BSD means to me that we may
have the best of both worlds; then btw others here may disagree, but,
again, I'm not willing to start a "religion war", the distro is there,
so if
one wants to try it that's ok, if not, that's ok as well :)

0
ObiWan
6/23/2009 4:24:06 PM
ObiWan wrote:
>>> kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
>
>> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because
>> they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why
>
> and it's not just "because they can" :)
>
>> It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian packages. :)
>
> sure; but please, let's avoid starting a "religion war", I love
> "beastie"
> (FreeBSD) and I think it has a really *good* kernel, and seeing the
> linux packaging and stuff running on BSD means to me that we may
> have the best of both worlds; then btw others here may disagree, but,
> again, I'm not willing to start a "religion war", the distro is there,
> so if
> one wants to try it that's ok, if not, that's ok as well :)
The point which is really important to me is the ZSF filesystem, while I'll
love to have it in Linux, perhaps I could live with it in BSD. In any case
it is too early in the game to be certain.
--
Mark Cross @ 06/23/2009 3:30 p.m.

Mark
6/23/2009 7:33:18 PM
ObiWan wrote:
>>> kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
>> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because
>> they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why

> one wants to try it that's ok, if not, that's ok as well :)

I've got it downloaded, busy today and I need to figure out what I'm
going to wipe in order to install it, maybe tonight. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
6/23/2009 8:01:03 PM
While ObiWan dreams of electric sheep...:
>>> kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>>>
>>> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
>
>> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just
>> because they can.
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why
>
> and it's not just "because they can" :)
>
>> It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian
>> packages. :)
>
> sure; but please, let's avoid starting a "religion war", I love
> "beastie" (FreeBSD) and I think it has a really *good* kernel,
> and seeing the linux packaging and stuff running on BSD means to
> me that we may have the best of both worlds; then btw others here
> may disagree, but, again, I'm not willing to start a "religion
> war", the distro is there, so if one wants to try it that's ok,
> if not, that's ok as well :)
But why not use FreeBSD (that can support linux executables) with
Debian apps ?
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>>> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because
>>> they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why

>> one wants to try it that's ok, if not, that's ok as well :)

> I've got it downloaded, busy today and I need to figure out what I'm
> going to wipe in order to install it, maybe tonight. :)

Well I took the time to burn it and boot it, I have tried the first 3
choices on the menu, kernel panic so far, it can't find it's "init" on
three different boots, not done with it yet, making this post to see if
anybody has suggestions.
--
Jimmy Johnson
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
6/23/2009 8:23:57 PM
DarkWolf wrote:

> But why not use FreeBSD (that can support linux executables) with
> Debian apps ?
You're sure ? I thought FreeBSD is Unix and executables aren't binary
compatible to Linux - even on the same architecture. Or am I wrong ?
--
Ninho
0
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> ObiWan wrote:
>>> one wants to try it that's ok, if not, that's ok as well :)

>> I've got it downloaded, busy today and I need to figure out what I'm
>> going to wipe in order to install it, maybe tonight. :)

> Well I took the time to burn it and boot it, I have tried the first 3
> choices on the menu, kernel panic so far, it can't find it's "init" on
> three different boots, not done with it yet, making this post to see if
> anybody has suggestions.

OK, I Googled the problem and found out it's a known problem since
before January 6th 2007. Life's to short. :p
--
Jimmy Johnson
Registered Linux User #380263
0
Jimmy
6/23/2009 11:09:53 PM
Ninho wrote:
> DarkWolf wrote:
>

>> But why not use FreeBSD (that can support linux executables) with
>> Debian apps ?
>
> You're sure ? I thought FreeBSD is Unix and executables aren't binary
> compatible to Linux - even on the same architecture. Or am I wrong ?

BSD (or at least some BSD's) has a compatibility layer for linux
binaries. Like WINE, only more complete.
0
GourdCaptain
6/23/2009 11:32:08 PM
Mark Cross wrote:

>>> Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just
>>> because they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why
>> and it's not just "because they can" :)
>>
>>> It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian
>>> packages. :)
>> sure; but please, let's avoid starting a "religion war", I love
>> "beastie" (FreeBSD) and I think it has a really *good* kernel, and
>> seeing the linux packaging and stuff running on BSD means to me
>> that we may have the best of both worlds; then btw others here may
>> disagree, but, again, I'm not willing to start a "religion war",
>> the distro is there, so if one wants to try it that's ok, if not,
>> that's ok as well :)
>
> The point which is really important to me is the ZSF filesystem,
> while I'll love to have it in Linux, perhaps I could live with it in
> BSD. In any case it is too early in the game to be certain.

Ah! Well, Check this out; not quite "there" yet:
Nexenta, a Solaris kernel with Ubuntu userland: <http://www.nexenta.org/os>

0
Roger
6/23/2009 11:32:43 PM
Roger Parks wrote:
> Mark Cross wrote:
[snip]
>> The point which is really important to me is the ZSF filesystem,
>> while I'll love to have it in Linux, perhaps I could live with it in
>> BSD. In any case it is too early in the game to be certain.
> Ah! Well, Check this out; not quite "there" yet:

> Nexenta, a Solaris kernel with Ubuntu userland:
> <http://www.nexenta.org/os>
Hmmmm, Encouraging news, I'll try it. Thanks!
--
Mark Cross @ 06/23/2009 8:03 p.m.

Mark
6/24/2009 12:05:30 AM
"ObiWan" <obiwan.try.to.spam.and.get.killed@mvps.org> wrote:
> kFreeBSD
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
>
> a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel !
If an OS based on Linux is simply called Linux, then this OS, based on
BSD shall be called BSD.
Well, it is definitely not Linux if Linux is not used in it.
--
Spence
0
GourdCaptain <saunders.52@wright.edu> wrote:
> Ninho wrote:
> > DarkWolf wrote:
> >

> >> But why not use FreeBSD (that can support linux executables) with
> >> Debian apps ?
> >
> > You're sure ? I thought FreeBSD is Unix and executables aren't
> > binary
> > compatible to Linux - even on the same architecture. Or am I wrong ?
> >

> BSD (or at least some BSD's) has a compatibility layer for linux
> binaries. Like WINE, only more complete.
Caveat, i386 only.
--
Spence
0
Spence wrote:
> GourdCaptain <saunders.52@wright.edu> wrote:
>> Ninho wrote:
>>> You're sure ? I thought FreeBSD is Unix and executables aren't
>>> binary
>>> compatible to Linux - even on the same architecture. Or am I wrong ?
>> BSD (or at least some BSD's) has a compatibility layer for linux
>> binaries. Like WINE, only more complete.
>
> Caveat, i386 only.
Thank you both. Let me learn something new each day !

--
Ninho
0
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:14:44 +0000 (UTC), Spence wrote:
>If an OS based on Linux is simply called Linux, then this OS, based on
>BSD shall be called BSD.
Wouldn't that be GNU/BSD?  :)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"The chief cause of problems is solutions" -Eric Sevareid
Ross McKay <au.org.zeta.at.rosko@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:14:44 +0000 (UTC), Spence wrote:
>
> >If an OS based on Linux is simply called Linux, then this OS, based
> > on
> >BSD shall be called BSD.
>
> Wouldn't that be GNU/BSD?  :)
If you use the term GNU/Linux then yes!! :D
Oh but be aware that the 4 BSDs each have their own kernels, ie there
are no "vanilla kernel" that each bsd builds off from, so it this case
it should be GNU/FreeBSD to be politically correct. Also look at
Gentoo's BSD projects, they actually have Gentoo/FreeBSD and
Gentoo/OpenBSD because they wouldn't be able to distinguish them
otherwise!! ;)
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/obsd/index.xml
--
Spence
0
0
Solbu
6/25/2009 4:45:23 AM
While Spence dreams of electric sheep...:
> GourdCaptain <saunders.52@wright.edu> wrote:
>> Ninho wrote:

>>> You're sure ? I thought FreeBSD is Unix and executables aren't
>>> binary
>>> compatible to Linux - even on the same architecture. Or am I wrong ?
>>>
>> BSD (or at least some BSD's) has a compatibility layer for linux
>> binaries. Like WINE, only more complete.
>
> Caveat, i386 only.
You sure ? I'll have to check my AMD64 install, I could have swore I
checked that option.
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.
0
DarkWolf