Spinrite 6 not discovering drive in IDE enhanced mode

Hi Spinriters,

I bought SR6 yesterday and couldn't get it running. It seemed to freeze
while searching for disk drives. So it didn't discover my drive, even after
waiting half an hour. I went through my BIOS settings and found the setting
"Onboard PCI IDE Operate Mode" which was set to "Enhanced mode". The manual
states that this mode is for "native OS's" like Windows 2000 and XP and
that the other setting "Compatibility Mode" should be used for "legacy
OS's" like MS-DOS and Windows ME/98/NT4. As SR depends on a DOS environment
I of course tried the "Compatibility Mode". And it worked! Great! Spinrite
fully operational on my new XP computer to keep my disk with my NTFS file
systems healthy!

So far the informational part that could help people that run into the same
problem. BTW, the setting is of the onboard IDE controller of an Asus
P4P800 SE motherboard. It's a P-ATA/S-ATA controller. I have a S-ATA disk
connected.

But now I have two questions:

1/ Will SR ever be able to handle this kind of "Enhanced Mode" IDE setting?
The only thing I found on the Net about the difference between the two
settings seems to be the IRQ's the IDE controller is allowed to use.

2/ I left the setting to "Compatibility Mode" and rebooted in XP. XP
doesn't seem to notice the difference, and neither do I (no errors, no
performance change) so for now I'm leaving the setting in "Compatibility
Mode". Unless I get a big DON'T DO THAT from someone for some reason...

Tonny.
0
Tonny
6/26/2004 7:28:00 PM
grc.spinrite 1856 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:28:29 GMT, Tonny Vaes <Tonny.Vaes@net.HCC.nl> wrote:

> But now I have two questions:
> 1/ Will SR ever be able to handle this kind of "Enhanced Mode" IDE
> setting?

Yes, it will, in it's next incarnation, ignore the BIOS settings and go
straight to the hardware.

> The only thing I found on the Net about the difference between the two
> settings seems to be the IRQ's the IDE controller is allowed to use.
> 2/ I left the setting to "Compatibility Mode" and rebooted in XP. XP
> doesn't seem to notice the difference, and neither do I (no errors, no
> performance change) so for now I'm leaving the setting in "Compatibility
> Mode". Unless I get a big DON'T DO THAT from someone for some reason...

As I understand it, modern operating systems largely ignore the BIOS
settings just as SpinRite soon will.  So unless you see a problem, I'd
leave it where it is.

--
Bob Trevithick
0
"Tonny Vaes" <Tonny.Vaes@net.HCC.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Spinriters,
>
> So far the informational part that could help people that run into the
> same
> problem. BTW, the setting is of the onboard IDE controller of an Asus
> P4P800 SE motherboard. It's a P-ATA/S-ATA controller. I have a S-ATA disk
> connected.

I've seen this exact thing with some other tools as well, such as certain
versions of Ghost. Interestingly, in the exact same situation as you, but
with an Intel MB, Spinrite doesn't have that problem; in other words, I can
leave the BIOS on "Enhanced" as usual. There must be subtle differences in
the implementation or something, though note that that older version of
Ghost I mentioned will show the problem on the very same system.

> 2/ I left the setting to "Compatibility Mode" and rebooted in XP. XP
> doesn't seem to notice the difference, and neither do I (no errors, no
> performance change) so for now I'm leaving the setting in "Compatibility
> Mode". Unless I get a big DON'T DO THAT from someone for some reason...

I think the only thing that could change is the DMA mode you run in, as
reflected in the controller section of Device Manager. Whether this would
change dynamically or only on a reinstall of the OS -- or at all -- I'm not
sure. Do you show DMA Mode 5 or 6 there?
0
Milhouse
6/28/2004 3:20:05 AM
Milhouse wrote:

> > 2/ I left the setting to "Compatibility Mode" and rebooted in XP. XP
> > doesn't seem to notice the difference, and neither do I (no errors, no
> > performance change) so for now I'm leaving the setting in "Compatibility
> > Mode". Unless I get a big DON'T DO THAT from someone for some reason...
>
> I think the only thing that could change is the DMA mode you run in, as
> reflected in the controller section of Device Manager. Whether this would
> change dynamically or only on a reinstall of the OS -- or at all -- I'm
not
> sure. Do you show DMA Mode 5 or 6 there?

It shows Ultra DMA mode 5. What does that tell you?

BTW: SR6 reports that DMA isn't used but PIO mode 4. In the BIOS the DMA
setting is on automatic, so it should automatically use whatever DMA mode
the device can handle. I haven't tried manually configuring a DMA mode in
the BIOS as there are many different modes to choose from and I don't know
which one(s) the drive supports. But anyway, everything's working fine, so
I'm not to worried.

Thank you Milhouse and Bob for your responses!

Tonny.
0
Tonny
6/28/2004 3:54:15 PM
[for the unabridged version, see Tonny Vaes's post above]

Tonny,

Their replies are right on the mark.  I replied to an earlier post
in the thread "SR6.x and BIOS" about *exactly* this
"compatibility" and legacy issue, and explained a bit more about
it.

Steve Gibson... dealing with a gazillion post SR6 release things!
0
Steve

SpinRite 6 speed vs. SpinRite 5 speed
My old PC is retired as a backup now, but I recently had to replace its HD, and decided to compare SpinRite 6's performance with what I had previously gotten with SpinRite 5. Platform: Intel AL440LX motherboard, 333GHz CPU, 320MB 66MHz RAM SpinRite 5 (level 5) / Western Digital 6.4GB 5400RPM HD / FAT32 --- 40 hours (0.16 GB/hour) SpinRite 6 (level 5) / Maxtor 80GB (76GB actual) 7200RPM HD / NTFS --- 6.5 hours (11.7 GB/hour) That's a pretty big speed increase. Some of its due to the faster HD, but I think it's mostly due to SpinRite 6. :) > Platform: Inte...

SpinRite 6.0 and USB Drives
Hi, A short time ago I purchased a copy of SpinRite 6.0 to do periodic maintenence on my hard drives (my OS is Win2K pro). It work well enough on my main "C" drive, BUT it does not recognize my 200 USB Maxtor 1 touch external hard drive which I use to back all my stuff. Bummer! I was told by the SpinRite Service Desk that if I could find a DOS driver and install it then SpinRite 6.0 might be able to find my USB drive. I was also directed to a couple of DOS drivers listed on the SpinRite FTP site. Here is the rub: I have not a clue on how to successfully merge a drive...

Spinrite 6 and 160g WD drives.
I have 2 WD 160g's which SR 6 will not allow me to select w/space bar. SR 6 does benchmarks ok, but nothing else. Message bios may be blocking access. In grc.spinrite rayhull wrote: > I have 2 WD 160g's which SR 6 will not allow me to select w/space > bar. SR 6 does benchmarks ok, but nothing else. Message bios may > be blocking access. It sounds as though your BIOS does not support such large disks. Or perhaps it is one of those idiot new BIOSes (sorry, cannot recall the vendor) that "help" you too much. You can email support at grc.com for...

Spinrite 6
Hi, Strange issue with SR6 and a WD 160 GByte PATA Hard Drive. Spinrite refused to test this drive; popping up the "AsRock" type "I cannot work with this drive" type warning. I booted the system with Parted Magic 4.9 beta and GSmartControl cannot find any issues with this drive via SMART testing. I noted that there was no paritition table on this drive using GParted, so I created on and formatted the drive for NTFS. SR6 is now able to work with the drive and is testing it as I type! Why does SR6 need a partition table when it's claimed to work on...

SpinRite 6 and my failing hard drive
Hello, I just bought SpinRite 6.0 (I had spinrite 5 since few years ago)and it tells me my hard drive is in imminent danger of failure! Based on the software recommendation I just did level 2 operation. No data is lost, so there was nothing to recover and all the sectors are readable. I'm buying a new internal hard drive anyway tomorrow, and I want to know if there is any easy way to transfer data from the old to the new, or I have to reinstall everything. I have about 10 gigs of data to transfer. Any help is appreciated. I hope this is the right group to post this. -- Thanks,...

SpinRite 6 and notebooks with out floppy disk drive...
I am about to purchase and download SpinRite 6 for a corrupt NTFS harddrive on a laptop. The laptop does not have a floppy drive and I understand that that's an essential part of the process (making a DOS boot disk). I am assuming such scenarios have already been considered and there are (assuming) ways around it. Also, I have an external USB drive kit that can be installed on any computer which allows you to read the drive via an external USB port. Does SpinRite 6 recognize USB devices? Thanks! JT JT wrote: > I am about to purchase and download SpinRite 6 for a corru...

SpinRite 6.0 & USB Drives
Dumb question? As SpinRite 6 will have its own operating systems, are external USB & USB2 drives supported? I suppose the same question applies for Firewire as well. Nick ///// Nick Bailey ///// wrote: > Dumb question? > > As SpinRite 6 will have its own operating systems, are external USB & > USB2 drives supported? I suppose the same question applies for > Firewire as well. Read the posts in grc.spinrite.dev, where they talk about this subject. -- Robert List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/ Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site - http:/...

Spinrite 6 useless on Weestern Digital drive
I just purchased Spinrite 6 and so far I'm extremely disappointed. A Western Digital 80 g drive had failed and I was hoping, based on hype and personal recommendations, that Spinrite could recover the vast amount of critical data (ironically, it turns out my last backup had failed, unknown to me). Spinrite can see the drive, but claims it's empty. At one point the drive was about half full so I know that's not the case. When I try to run any option on the drive I receive a message stating that Spinrite will have trouble operating on the entire drive and that I need to ...

SpinRite 6 and notebooks with out floppy disk drives...
I am about to purchase and download SpinRite 6 for a corrupt NTFS harddrive on a laptop. The laptop does not have a floppy drive and I understand that that's an essential part of the process (making a DOS boot disk). I am assuming such scenarios have already been considered and there are (assuming) ways around it. Also, I have an external USB drive kit that can be installed on any computer which allows you to read the drive via an external USB port. Does SpinRite 6 recognize USB devices? Thanks! JT As far I know:"NOPE"....but, do you more get accurate answer h...

SpinRite 6 Versus NetApp SAN SATA Drives
Hi. We regularly use SpinRite 6 to hammer all SATA drives before putting them into production. And we always used the same couple of old Dell Optiplexes to get the job done. Today we were pulling some SATA drives out of a StoreVault S500 unit (Division of NetApp) and trying to run SpinRite against them. However, SpinRite hangs during the "Discovering Systems Mass Storage Devices" phase. Now I'm pretty confident that it's not a SATA controller compatibility issue as we've been using these same machines to run SpinRite against a multitude of drives for ...

Spinrite 6 doesn't find my drive...
Hi all, Just recently purchased Spinrite, and I was trying to use it on one of my older boxes. I don't understand why I can't get it to recognize the drive, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly unusual about the system or drive. This system is using an Asus P3B-F motherboard using the latest BIOS (first thing I tried was updating the BIOS) available. It has a Quantum Fireball 40 GB drive in it which the BIOS recognizes just fine. It's got a FAT32 file system on it with Windows 98 SE. It just gets stuck on the "Discovering System's Mass Sto...

Spinrite 6?
Any Ideas when the next version of Spinrite is coming out. Fat 16/32 drives are pretty much obsolete, especially since companies have mostly gone to Windows 2000/XP on the desktop. Or is spinrite ever going to support NTFS"4 and 5" Wonderboy "WonderBoy" <j95661@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b7i1u9$1i5f$1@news.grc.com... > Any Ideas when the next version of Spinrite is coming out. Fat 16/32 drives > are pretty much obsolete, especially since companies have mostly gone to > Windows 2000/XP on the desktop. > > Or is spinrite ever go...

Spinrite 6
I would appreciate some advice to influence a decision on whether to buy Spinrite 6; I haven't used Spinrite before. Is there a recommended sequence to running Spinrite 6 for maintenance? For example, would it be level 1 first then either 3 or 4 to fix surface or error problems? In laymen's terms what is the difference between levels 3 and 4 and, what are the end results? Finally, would Spinrite be the solution when Partition Magic goes occasionally goes awry and states that all partitions are unreadable? . John John Boy wrote: > I would appreciate some advic...

SpinRite #6
Which forum should I post a SpinRite question? Please go to: grc.spinrite.dev ;-}}} -- Regard: Joh@nnes � :-)) 1216771 Ont.Inc. "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" Hobie posted the following to grc.techtalk: > Which forum should I post a SpinRite question? > If it is about testing SR6 use grc.spinrite.dev if problem with SR 5 email support@grc.com or general SR question here is fine. Trevor. ...

Web resources about - Spinrite 6 not discovering drive in IDE enhanced mode - grc.spinrite

The Alchemist Discovering Phosphorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The full title of the painting is “The Alchymist, in Search of the Philosopher's Stone, Discovers Phosphorus, and prays for the successful Conclusion ...

Facebook Tests “Find Friends Browser” for Discovering Real Life Friends
Facebook appears to be testing a Find Friends Browser feature as a new part of its tool for helping people connect with Facebook users they already ...

Twitter Blog: Discovering Who To Follow
Twitter Blog Discovering Who To Follow 2753774245896921782 Friday, July 30, 2010 With more than a hundred million users on Twitter, there are ...

Antiques Roadshow: Discovering America's Hidden Treasures for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Antiques Roadshow: Discovering America's Hidden Treasures on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Too Short on Discovering Lil B & The Pack - YouTube
http://VladTV.com - The Bay Area legend discusses how Lil B changed since he first discovered him and his reaction to B's "I'm Gay" album.

Video shows horrified couple discovering MH17 crash site
Harrowing footage has emerged which captures the horror and disbelief of a couple driving past the burning wreckage of MH17 in a Ukrainian field ...

Authorities push to shut down Melbourne brothel after discovering Chinese woman hidden in wall
Victorian authorities have launched legal action to shut down a Melbourne brothel after discovering a Chinese woman hidden in a secret cavity ...

NRL star Anthony Watmough and wife Elle hoping for a miracle after discovering unborn baby has fatal ...
THEY have spoken openly about their desperate desire to be parents. But yesterday NRL star Anthony Watmough was lost for words.