What about non-DOS or non-FAT formatted floppies?

Should SR6_R01 be able to read diskettes created with slackware linux
(nonfat ones)?  I get an unable to read sector zero error with these.

As we are on the subject of diskettes, I tried a level an IBM XDF format
diskette (2mb on a 1.44mb floppy).  It could only see the 393 byte section
that dos could see.

I am trying to find some of my 1.68 or 1.72 mb Microsoft DMF floppies to
test.  If Spinrite cannot use these natively, will Spinrite work if I load a
device driver in dos for them?  I remember such a driver existing and around
here somewhere that would let you read these disks in dos.

Just curious if anyone has tried these things yet.
0
default
5/6/2004 4:54:56 AM
grc.spinrite.dev 1306 articles. 5 followers. Follow

> I am trying to find some of my 1.68 or 1.72 mb Microsoft DMF floppies to
> test.  If Spinrite cannot use these natively, will Spinrite work if I load
> device driver in dos for them?  I remember such a driver existing and
around
> here somewhere that would let you read these disks in dos.
>
> Just curious if anyone has tried these things yet.

I have done a little testing here I have been able to test 1.68 and 1.72
floppies.  SR6 did ok on both.  Something strange though when I tried to
test the same floppies with SR5, SR5 froze up.  Then when I tried to read
the floppies after a run with SR5 they were no longer readable.  I remember
this happened to me when I tried to test a Memtest86 floppy.  I do not know
what format that program uses.  Hope this helps.

David
0
David
5/6/2004 5:24:23 AM
I have now verified this here also.  SR6 indeed now works on DMF floppies
even without a device driver or TSR.  Fantastic!

I have found the TSR for using XDF floppies in DOS from the IBM PCDOS2000
package.  I made up an XDF diskette (2mb, 1024byte sectors) on a 1.44mb
floppy disk.  I then loaded the xdf.com TSR and verified that dos could see
and read the floppy.  Then I started SR6 and it could see the diskette
capacity now, but it produced a write protected error, even though the
diskette was not write protected.  I don't think that XDF diskettes are
common anymore anyway and mine are well backed up so they can be recreated
if needed anyway.  IBM used this format for a while in the early to mid
90's.

Non DOS readable formats like linux diskettes seem to be unusable in SR6 so
far however.  I was hoping that they could be processed in raw mode.  If a
sector was still bad after SR6 exercises it however, then obviously SR would
not be able to know what to do with the recovered data though so it wouldn't
be as useful in this circumstance.

"David Moore" <damikon@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I have done a little testing here I have been able to test 1.68 and 1.72
> floppies.  SR6 did ok on both.  Something strange though when I tried to
> test the same floppies with SR5, SR5 froze up.  Then when I tried to read
> the floppies after a run with SR5 they were no longer readable.  I
remember
> this happened to me when I tried to test a Memtest86 floppy.  I do not
know
> what format that program uses.  Hope this helps.
>
> David

0
default
5/6/2004 7:41:40 AM
[for the unabridged version, see default's post above]

> I have now verified this here also.  SR6 indeed now works
> on DMF floppies even without a device driver or TSR.  Fantastic!

Yes.

> I have found the TSR for using XDF floppies in DOS from the
> IBM PCDOS2000 package.  I made up an XDF diskette (2mb, 1024byte
> sectors) on a 1.44mb floppy disk.  I then loaded the xdf.com TSR
> and verified that dos could see and read the floppy.  Then I
> started SR6 and it could see the diskette capacity now, but it
> produced a write protected error, even though the diskette was
> not write protected.

This may well be the original, annoying, R01 bug.  Get the newer
sr6_test.exe release and see how it does.  :)

> Non DOS readable formats like linux diskettes seem to be
> unusable in SR6 so far however.  I was hoping that they could
> be processed in raw mode.  If a sector was still bad after SR6
> exercises it however, then obviously SR would not be able to
> know what to do with the recovered data though so it wouldn't
> be as useful in this circumstance.

Right.  I'm going to look into the possibility of a RAW mode
option for diskettes for R02, but I'm annoyed by the problem
of non-relocatibility of defective sectors.  Still, it ought to
only be able to help things, so it would be (much) better than
nothing.  :)

Steve Gibson,     very nearly finished with: < SpinRite v6.0 >
0
Steve
5/6/2004 8:33:53 PM
It behaves the same.  That is ok though.  I am plenty happy to have
Microsoft DMF support now.  That is fantastic.

XDF is probably much too weird.  My suspicion is that it is from the 1024
byte sectors rather than the 512 byte sectors that most disks have.  Perhaps
an int 25 or 26h function chokes on it or isn't properly handled by the
xdf.com tsr.  I don't think it is worth putting too much effort into.

"Steve Gibson" <support@grc.com> wrote in message
> This may well be the original, annoying, R01 bug.  Get the newer
> sr6_test.exe release and see how it does.  :)
>
> --
> Steve Gibson,     very nearly finished with: < SpinRite v6.0 >
0
default

New to spinrite.dev, Non-Windows Testing
Except for a virtual machine, I don't use windows. Mainly use a couple Macs, and several Linux machines. Since there are probably many people who have helped by testing there Macs, I'd be more interested in seeing how compatible the tests are on my Linux Servers. Is there an easy way to setup and run the test without having windows? Is there a quick way to see what particular hardware and machine makes have been tested? For instance, my Dell PowerEdge 2900 with 8 SAS bays (using SATA drives), w/hardware raid controller configured as raid 0 & raid 5+1. Easy way...

non
Name: cool Email: coolestchampion_at_yahoo.com Product: Bon Echo Summary: non Comments: none Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1 ...

non
Name: control725 Email: control725atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: non Comments: how i fix this HELP Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Non-head, non-tail recursion???
Not specifically perl but I did steal the .sig from a perl-ish source ... Any suggestions? a Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler Internet: andy_bach@wiwb.uscourts.gov VOICE: (608) 261-5738 FAX 264-5030 "To understand recursion, we must first understand recursion." ----- Forwarded by Andy Bach/WIWB/07/USCOURTS on 08/02/02 02:26 PM ----- "To understand recursion, we must first understand recursion." Thereby demonstrating tail recursion quite nicely, as distinct from "GNU's Not Unix" which demonstrates (presumably) head recursion. Can you think of...

Non-interactive [non-UI] browser....
We all know you can include a WebBrowser control in a windows forms application to do some pretty neat stuff. I need the same capability for a non-interactive application..... Been struggling with this for some time...looking for any hists, pointers, ideas. A commercial solution may be viable. TIA David. What's a non-interactive, non-UI browser? What application or user-experience are you trying to create?Alister The application in question can be considered a type of automated browser. I am under strict NDA and need to be very carefuly about what I post on a board due to ...

Non Patch list or Non Patch report
We are a financial institution and we need to show examiners a report on what is NOT patched. Which is the easiest way to get a report of a list of IP addresses and computer names and a list of what isn't patched for each one? -- ddonahue22 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ddonahue22, I don't know of any simple way of doing this, and in any case how do you define "not patched"? If you define this by "meeting our mandatory baseline", then there's the baseline detail report, if you want a repor...

Managing non-critical and non-security updates
Hi all,   I deploy WSUS server in my Consolidated Server HMC 3.5 environment. My WSUS settings are: -         Synchronize all update classifications for available in WSUS HMC products (Exchange 2003, ISA 2004, SQL Server and Windows Server 2003). -         Automatically approve for detection all update classifications. -         Automatically approve for installation Critical updates and Security updates.   So, my WSUS server help my to automatically...

Non-DOS Partition?
Every now and then I find that Windows has altered the boot sector of a hard drive, causing it to become unbootable and unrecognizable to DOS. The usual scenario is, I'm installing or re-installing Windows on a client's new hard drive, and the old C: drive is intended to become D:. This seems to be a sort of alchemy bewteen Win9x and certain BIOSes. When a drive D: with existing partitions is attached to the system, its boot sector is altered and it becomes unreadable after one Windows startup. Thereafter DOS doesn't even assign it a drive letter. It effectively dis...

Non-
Duplicate post. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Novell Inc. ...

non formatted results
Name: Adrian Mirfin Email: big_adeathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: non formatted results Comments: When using Firefox with HOTMAIL, the list of addresses in my sddress book is not formatted into lines. Similarly if I copy a list from the web and paste it into Excel or Openoffice-calc, it does not fill the cells in the normal way, and produces unintelligible data. IE6 works fine for the above. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

nsIXPCScriptable, GetProperty and non-string, non-integer values
Hi, I'd like to have non-simple properties on an object implementing nsIXPCScriptable. Sadly, right before my getProperty hook gets called, a ID_TO_VALUE looses the detailed object information [1]. For example, I'd like foo[12.4] to give me a result for the number, not for "12.4". Or foo[{f:23}] a result for the object, and not "[object Object]" Is that possible or is that verboten by javascript spec. E4X does something similar by resolving QNames, but I'm afraid it's hooked up deep in the inside of jsinterp. Thanks Axel [1] ...

Sending SMS with an non-certified, non-published App?
Hello, I'm completely new to FirefoxOS. We consider to use a FirefoxOS-Smartphone = for a special project for a customer. We would develop an app for monitorin= g something (without user-control, like a webcam) and send a SMS to notify = a user. I read some docs and blogs about the WebApi and realized, that the = app must be "certified" to do this.=20 But: - The App should not be published, only installed to 10-20 devices for our = customer. - Sending the SMS must work without any interaction e.g a modal dialog to c= onfirm sending. Is this possible with FirefoxOS ? T...

Clustered non-unique index appears as non-clustered.
Hi, I'm having a problem creating a clustered non-unique index on two my biggest tables each one located on its own segment. I created the table on the segment, migrated the data using DBArtisan and trying to create clustered index. Everything looks OK but it always create clustered index idxShowInputCluster as non-clustered. I have this problem only with those 2 tables that locate on its own segments. I tryed this from DBArtisan and from Sybase Central - doesn't work. Script sample for one of them: EXEC sp_addsegment 'segShowInput','MovieFone','ShowI...

finding the right non printing non word character
Hi guys I'm trying to find a character for use in a regex pattern that is non printing and non word. I've been using \0 and \xFF as a means of marking up and splitting a string but have just found out that the regex engine thinks that they are word characters, as in being matched by \w I need a character that people won't type, that isn't a word character. Any ideas. TIA Angie ...

Web resources about - What about non-DOS or non-FAT formatted floppies? - grc.spinrite.dev

Formatted text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Formatted text cannot rightly be identified with binary files or be distinct from ASCII text. This is because formatted text is not necessarily ...

Received a badly formatted email on your mobile? 75 percent of you will delete it
A survey by Constant Contact shows that mobile devices are more important than ever, particularly to those under the age of 30. The study reveals ...

Quickly view formatted PDFs in your search results
Google search results sometimes include documents that were not originally formatted to be viewed in a web browser, such as PDFs. In the past, ...

Now in Google search results: Formatted PDFs
Google has launched a new search option called Quick View that allows users to open formatted PDF filesnot just HTML viewing of documentsfrom ...

Proxy ports showing formatted text in Mountain Lion
An interface bug in the OS X Network system preferences shows unconventional port string formats, but does not affect OS X performance.

It’s Markdown, no, PowerShell. Wait its Markdown formatted PowerShell.
... "Current DateTime is = $([System.DateTime]::Now)" ### Escape characters with the ` (back-tick) "Escape a quotation `"This is quoted`"." Formatted ...

Exploit can control older Macs even after they're formatted
Exploit can control older Macs even after they're formatted

HBO cancels 'In Treatment' 'as previously formatted'
HBO just made it official: In Treatment will not return for a fourth season. The psychotherapist drama won plenty of critical acclaim and Emmy ...

FAA GPS data formatted for your use
[Michael] posted up-to-date GPS data sets in the GPX format . These data sets are an alternative to paid updates. Since GPX is a published standard ...

Converting Mac-formatted iPod to Windows - iLounge Article
Q: In reading your FAQ and previous columns, I see that it is possible to use a Mac-formatted iPod on a Windows PC through the use of a third-party ...