We may NOT be able to switch AHCI mode to IDE mode.

Gang...

After easily switching "Compatible" mode to "Native PCI",
I tackled the task of switching AHCI over to "Native PCI".

I haven't given up yet, but my initial impression is that doing
this may be highly chipset specific. The PCI enumeration of my
motherboard in AHCI mode is more different than I expected
compared with IDE mode.

This machine has a Series 6/C200 chipset, and I have the
detailed datasheet for it (which goes well beyond the AHCI
standard.)  So I'm going to learn about it to see whether I
can understand what I'm seeing... and whether it might apply
somewhat more generally.

In AHCI mode:

> Bus# Device Fnc Clas PgIf  Type  Vendor Device Programming Interface
> ---- ------ --- ---- ---- ------ ------ ------ --------------------------------
>   0    31    2  0106  01   AHCI   8086   1C02   Supports non-AHCI legacy modes

In IDE mode:

>   0    31    2  0101  8F   IDE    8086   1C00   Native PCI      Native PCI
>   0    31    5  0101  85   IDE    8086   1C08   Native PCI      Native PCI

Steve... working on SpinRite v6.1 https://www.grc.com/dev/sr6.1/
0
Steve
7/6/2013 9:16:40 PM
grc.spinrite.dev 1306 articles. 5 followers. Follow

On 7/6/2013 3:16 PM, Steve Gibson wrote:

[See Steve's post above]

Could this have anything to do with the fact that IDE only supports two
drives per cable, while as we have seen AHCI can support at least 6
drives (where the cable and master/slave concepts effectively go away)?
I don't know at what point the two drive (master/slave) limit per "IDE
cable" comes into the IDE protocol, but perhaps the chipset is
presenting two IDE interfaces so you can address all the drives you see
with AHCI.

0
Milton
7/7/2013 6:47:55 AM
[for the unabridged version, see Milton Scritsmier's post above]

> [See Steve's post above]
>
> Could this have anything to do with the fact that IDE only
> supports two drives per cable, while as we have seen AHCI
> can support at least 6 drives (where the cable and master/slave
> concepts effectively go away)?  I don't know at what point the
> two drive (master/slave) limit per "IDE cable" comes into the
> IDE protocol, but perhaps the chipset is presenting two IDE
> interfaces so you can address all the drives you see with AHCI.

Yes, that's it exactly.

The AHCI specification provides for up to 32 SATA "ports" per
controller. However, when ANY AHCI controller is operating in
its "legacy" mode, it appears as a primary AND a secondary ATA
IDE controller, each with a master and a slave device. So it can
then ONLY support up to four SATA drives.

In the present case of Intel's Series 6 /C200 chipset, the AHCI
controller supports SIX SATA ports.  So if the AHCI controller
is going to be operating in legacy mode, it needs some help from
another controller to support the other two ports.  And that's
what's going on.  In legacy mode, a secondary controller that
only supports Native PCI mode is enabled and appears in the PCI
I/O space.

Steve... working on SpinRite v6.1 https://www.grc.com/dev/sr6.1/
0
Steve

switch between catalog mode and browse mode
I run the webparts workthrough and found that, each time when I switch from catalog mode to browse mode, my Web page will not execute it, and still stays in catalog mode. If there anyway we can control these modes? Thank  you very much!   You can use the WebPartManager's DisplayMode property to change the mode./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog Thank you very much for your consistant inspiration!...

Cannot switch to online mode from caching mode
When I try to switch from caching mode to online mode, it tells me it needs to restart the GroupWise client. Fine, I say Yes and it closes the client and nothing ever happens after that. Ever. I checked the task manager in XP and it shows that two GroupWise processes are running: gwsync.exe gwreload.exe If I then manually run the groupwise client again (desktop, shortcut, etc.) it loads into online mode fine. If I swtich from Online to caching, THAT always works. But never the other way around. If I whack the gwsync.exe process, then it'll switch into cac...

Mode a la mode
There is a general inconsistency about file permissions throughout the parrot tree. Of the 80+ *.pl scripts, only 8 are 0755 - and Configure.pl isn't one of them. Some tests are, some aren't; and even some docs are. A list follows. Personally, I don't care what mode you make them, although (unless you're rewriting the shebang lines) you'd be making an assumption that /usr/bin/perl exists. .../ops2c.pl .../ops2pm.pl .../optimizer.pl .../icu/source/configure .../icu/source/install-sh .../icu/source/runConfigureICU .../tools/dev/manicheck.pl .../tools/...

want to switch textbox mode to password mode asp.net
I have asp.net login screen and it has userid and password field , I wan to make password textbox field . so when usr type password in password field , then they can see asterisk. Briefly I wan to switch textbox mode to password mode, How can I do this.   thank u maxmax You can set  TextMode = "password" <asp:TextBox id="tb2" TextMode="password" runat="server" />Farooq Kaiser, MCTS, MCPPlease Mark As Answer if my answer helped you.http://www.Fairnet.com You can either add the below code to the page_load event TextBox1.Text...

Attempt to switch from data table design mode to data mode
Data design works fine for a remote SQL2000 database. When I switch from design to data the following error displays. Can not access a disposed object. Object name: 'DataGridTextBox'. If I press continue, the data from the table is displayed in a datagrid, however any attempt to edit the data results in a repeat of the same message. This feature works as intended against a table in a local Access databases, however the same error occurs when directed against a local SqlExpress server. Retired Geek and loosing it fast! I experience the same problem, any solutions to this?...

Switching from Caching Mode to Online Mode GroupWise doesn't Restart
--____IAEFTAKANBRAAJLSGCUX____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable GroupWise Client 6.5.4 on Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client 4.90 SP2. I usually run in Caching mode. I've got several of the Novell Support = Forums setup under NNTP and it works nicely for me thank-you. The few = inconveniences are tolerable for the convenience of having one app for = both. Anyway, I wanted to test a separate problem by going into Online mode to = see if it was just a bug in Caching mode. At the top of the folder pane I = click on Cachi...

usb drive docks and AHCI/IDE mode
according to some reviews I have read, some drive docks, start disconnecting when IDE mode is used and not AHCI. apparently AHCI is required for drive power-on/power-off, which is needed for those kinds of things. I have been using IDE mode with my drive dock, and have experienced similar problems. I am about to notify the manufacturer about the problem. I need that IDE mode, especially with an IDE kind of adapter I would think... :-/ having similar problems with my USB 2.0 stuff... very interesting. they wanted to RMA, but as it turns out it's a design flaw. some of ...

Spinrite 6 not discovering drive in IDE enhanced mode
Hi Spinriters, I bought SR6 yesterday and couldn't get it running. It seemed to freeze while searching for disk drives. So it didn't discover my drive, even after waiting half an hour. I went through my BIOS settings and found the setting "Onboard PCI IDE Operate Mode" which was set to "Enhanced mode". The manual states that this mode is for "native OS's" like Windows 2000 and XP and that the other setting "Compatibility Mode" should be used for "legacy OS's" like MS-DOS and Windows ME/98/NT4. As SR depends on a DOS env...

Is it possible to switch from pure Window's Authenticated mode ro Mixed Mode? (SQL 2005)
Durning install I selected Window's Authentication only, but now it seems we may need to use a Mixed Mode with an SA account etc... is there anyway to switch SQL 2005 to use Mixed Mode after the fact? In the roughly four and a half hour time period it took this post to get approved and listed... I found the solution. The authentication options are located under the selected server's security settings (under properties)....

flow mode or grid mode
I forgot how to get to flow mode or grid mode in designing a webform. Please help. Thanks.Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" its in the <body> tag <body MS_POSITIONING="GridLayout"> for grid, take it out for flowAsk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Luke 11:9 What should I do if the form was started with grid mode and now I want it in flow mode? I'm seeing it still in grid mode after I changed it to flow mode the way you told me. Thanks.Please mark the post(s) t...

mode
Why not install everything and just comment out what you don't want to load in the autoexec.ncf....that way you have everything there if you ever want anything else. For GroupWise? Since what you install becomes a part of the email system, including mail moving and user sync, I wouldn't. -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop ...

Can I switch to caching mode when logged in with /ph switch
I can switch to caching mode if I logon to the server and create a cached mailbox. I am trying to switch to caching mode when I use an offline copy of the post office and use the /ph switch to direct connect The caching switch is grayed out Is this not possible with direct connect? thank you -- ralphenovell ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 12/03/2008 ralphenovell wrote: > The caching switch is grayed out Is this not possible with direct > connect? No. Caching needs a TCP/IP connection to sync the data. Uwe ...

Remote Mode vs. Online Mode
How do I prevent the remote users using the Online Mode and eating up the bandwidth? Kauko, I don't know that you can really. You could try to do "live remote" from an MTA and block the POA from the outside I guess. -- Danita Zanre Novell Volunteer Sysop www.caledonia.net/iris.html ...

Entering into DB mode while run mode
Hi Friends, I am getting unusval problem like my application goes to DB bug mode while I run my applcation from RUN painter. When it breaks into DB bug mode if I click CONTINUE painter , it goes into RUN mode again. Any idea what is going on over here. TIA NARAYANA -- NARAYANA SUDANAGUNTA 115 NUTMEGLANE #111 EAST HORTFORD ,CT-06118 1-860-263-6438(work) 1-860-895-8279(HOME) Do you mean: You start the application in the Debug mode and it stops at some breakpoint. You hit the "Continue" button, the screen flashed, and it stops again at the same point. ...

Web resources about - We may NOT be able to switch AHCI mode to IDE mode. - grc.spinrite.dev

Switch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Toggle button" redirects here. For the GUI widget , see Cycle button . For other uses, see Switch (disambiguation) . Electrical switches. Top, ...

Switch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electrical switches. Top, left to right: circuit breaker, mercury switch , wafer switch, DIP switch , surface mount switch, reed switch . Bottom, ...

Home loan customers urged to switch, as banks stand to reap an extra $9.9 billion
... potentially cost Australian mortgage holders $9.9 billion, new research shows. Nearly 40 per cent of mortgage holders say they have not switched ...

SA bushfires: NT man watches Hamley Bridge farm burn on CCTV, uses phone to switch on sprinklers to save ...
A Darwin man watches his South Australian farm explode in a fireball via CCTV cameras at the property.

GM does not have to turn over its ignition switch documents
... Court Judge rules that attorney-client privilege protects certain documents between GM and law firm King & Spalding over the ignition switch ...

T-Mobile is giving Sprint customers $200 to switch
... customers $200. T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced on Twitter that T-Mobile is going to give Sprint customers $200 for every line they switch ...

Online fraud has increased significantly in the US since the switch to EMV chips
Attempted fraud with stolen payment information has increased significantly in the US since merchants and card issuers switched to cards with ...

Sprint once again vows to halve your smartphone bill if you switch
The promotion targeting customers at rivals AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile is similar to a campaign offered a year ago.

Facebook building a 100-gigabit switch to handle video, VR traffic
Facebook is more than doubling the speed of its Wedge open-source network switch, which is good news both for Facebook users and for anyone who ...

Review: Mighty Switch Force! Academy
WayForward could probably make Mighty Switch Force! games until the end of time, and as long as they retained the basic concept, I'd still play ...