New to Dev

Hello All,

I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing.
At present, I cannot find any place to start or documentation.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
0
Matthew
10/6/2013 12:24:36 AM
grc.spinrite.dev 1306 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Matthew Reyes <public@reyeslegacy.us> wrote in

>Hello All,
>
>I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing.
>At present, I cannot find any place to start or documentation.
>
>Any help would be great!
>
>Thanks!

There really isn't anything to test at the moment. Steve became derailed
on another project. It could be another nine years before he makes it back
to spinrite ...
0
Danny
10/6/2013 1:44:16 AM
On 10/5/2013 8:24 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing. At present, I
> cannot find any place to start or documentation.

Hi and welcome!

If you have Windows, download a tool called Rufus and make you a bootable FreeDOS thumb
drive.  Copy SpinTest.exe to the drive, reboot to FreeDOS safe mode, and run it.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.grc.com/dev/SpinTest/st15-r5.exe

If you'd like to post your results, use the > operator to redirect the program's output to
a text file.  E.g.:

st15-r5.exe E > st15-r5E.txt

(the E parameter is for extremely verbose output)

Hope that helps!

--
JJ
0

On 10/5/2013 6:44 PM, Danny wrote:
> Matthew Reyes <public@reyeslegacy.us> wrote in
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing.
>> At present, I cannot find any place to start or documentation.
>>
>> Any help would be great!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> There really isn't anything to test at the moment. Steve became derailed
> on another project. It could be another nine years before he makes it back
> to spinrite ...

0
Matthew
10/6/2013 2:16:35 AM
On 10/5/2013 10:16 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> I hope not.  I just paid for a tool I can't use on my Dell XPS One.

Steve will gladly refund your money if SpinRite doesn't work for you.

What's the issue with XPS though?

--
JJ
0
On 13-10-05 08:16 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> I hope not.  I just paid for a tool I can't use on my Dell XPS One.

The released Spinrite will work just fine with your Dell XPS one.  If
you are having trouble with the test, go in to the BIOS/UEFI and change
the SATA mode IDE.
0
meganerd
10/6/2013 6:13:15 AM
In article <l2qh6h$9r5$1@news.grc.com>, public@reyeslegacy.us says...

> I hope not.  I just paid for a tool I can't use on my Dell XPS One.
>
> On 10/5/2013 6:44 PM, Danny wrote:
> > Matthew Reyes <public@reyeslegacy.us> wrote in
> >
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing.
> >> At present, I cannot find any place to start or documentation.
> >>
> >> Any help would be great!
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> > There really isn't anything to test at the moment. Steve became derailed
> > on another project. It could be another nine years before he makes it back
> > to spinrite ...

.... and some of us here bought this not to use it anywhere in particular but
just to support him. Think about the ppl who bought this that have Mac's.

--
-Guy
0
On 06/10/2013 03:03, JJ wrote:

> If you have Windows, download a tool called Rufus and make you a bootable FreeDOS thumb
> drive.  Copy SpinTest.exe to the drive, reboot to FreeDOS safe mode, and run it.
>
> http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus is the easiest way to boot to DOS and run SpinTest on newer
machines and you should also be able to copy SpinRite to that thumb
drive and boot that too.
0
sparky
10/7/2013 1:12:52 PM
"sparky" <paulbyford@DONTSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 06/10/2013 03:03, JJ wrote:
>>
>> If you have Windows, download a tool called Rufus and make you a bootable
>> FreeDOS thumb
>> drive.  Copy SpinTest.exe to the drive, reboot to FreeDOS safe mode, and
>> run it.
>>
>> http://rufus.akeo.ie/
>>

> Rufus is the easiest way to boot to DOS and run SpinTest on newer machines
> and you should also be able to copy SpinRite to that thumb drive and boot
> that too.

I have a question, and when it's answered, I'm sure I'll feel like a fool.
But, I won't know the answer until I ask.  How in the Sam Hill do you use
the disk image that Steve put together?  What utility do I need to move it
from .bin to bootable disk?  Thanks!

"She said it was either her or the ham radio.  Over."

0
Tom
10/7/2013 2:30:45 PM
did yea google it?
http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials/convert-bin-to-iso.html

and many more.

there was an old windows program to burn cdrom(s) called
CDRwin from Golden Hawk
ahh DDG.go says they still in biz
I even think nero would take cue files and burn then from bin files.
Not done it in so long....
0
Just
10/7/2013 3:16:21 PM
On 10/7/2013 10:30 AM, Tom Rutherford wrote:
> How in the Sam Hill do you use the disk image that Steve put together?

It's a floppy disk image that can be written using the RawWriteWin.exe utility in the same
directory.  However, you're better off using something like Rufus because Steve's image
uses memory managers that doesn't allow SpinTest to run properly in most cases.

--
JJ
0

>I have a question, and when it's answered, I'm sure I'll feel like a
>fool. But, I won't know the answer until I ask.  How in the Sam Hill
>do you use the disk image that Steve put together?  What utility do I
>need to move it from .bin to bootable disk?  Thanks!

I'd suggest you forget Steve's .bin file. It's not the best answer.
Rather, I'd suggest that you create yourself a MSDOS bootable USB memory
stick using Rufus. Then copy spinrite.exe to the USB stick.

You can get the best results with MSDOS, rather than FreeDOS.

Selecting the proper Rufus options will create a bootable memory stick
that will boot on computers that support USB HDD booting, as well as those
that do not have USB HDD booting support. In that case, it emulates a
floppy drive and boots to A:.
0
Danny
10/7/2013 4:45:00 PM
I do not have any spare USB drives.  Any ISOs available?

On 10/5/2013 7:03 PM, JJ wrote:
> On 10/5/2013 8:24 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin testing. At present, I
>> cannot find any place to start or documentation.
>

> Hi and welcome!
>
> If you have Windows, download a tool called Rufus and make you a bootable FreeDOS thumb
> drive.  Copy SpinTest.exe to the drive, reboot to FreeDOS safe mode, and run it.
>
> http://rufus.akeo.ie/
>
> https://www.grc.com/dev/SpinTest/st15-r5.exe
>
> If you'd like to post your results, use the > operator to redirect the program's output to
> a text file.  E.g.:
>
> st15-r5.exe E > st15-r5E.txt
>
> (the E parameter is for extremely verbose output)
>
> Hope that helps!

0
Matthew
10/8/2013 3:39:24 AM
On 10/7/2013 11:39 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> I do not have any spare USB drives.  Any ISOs available?

You can use the FreeDOS 1.0 base CD image:

http://www.freedos.org/download/

Boot to FreeDOS safe mode.  I believe it will have access to FAT formatted partitions.  Or
you could edit the bootable ISO to include the SpinTest application.

--
JJ
0
On 10/7/2013 9:45 AM, Danny wrote:
> "Tom Rutherford" <tom@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
>> I have a question, and when it's answered, I'm sure I'll feel like a
>> fool. But, I won't know the answer until I ask.  How in the Sam Hill
>> do you use the disk image that Steve put together?  What utility do I
>> need to move it from .bin to bootable disk?  Thanks!
>>

> I'd suggest you forget Steve's .bin file. It's not the best answer.
> Rather, I'd suggest that you create yourself a MSDOS bootable USB memory
> stick using Rufus. Then copy spinrite.exe to the USB stick.
>
> You can get the best results with MSDOS, rather than FreeDOS.
>
> Selecting the proper Rufus options will create a bootable memory stick
> that will boot on computers that support USB HDD booting, as well as those
> that do not have USB HDD booting support. In that case, it emulates a
> floppy drive and boots to A:.

Remember that Steve is writing his code to run correctly with FreeDOS
and not MSDOS. This might be important.
0
Gerry
10/8/2013 7:32:48 PM
Gerry <Gerry-13@Juno.com> wrote in news:l31mlc$1ma6$1@news.grc.com:

>> I'd suggest you forget Steve's .bin file. It's not the best answer.
>> Rather, I'd suggest that you create yourself a MSDOS bootable USB
>> memory stick using Rufus. Then copy spinrite.exe to the USB stick.
>>
>> You can get the best results with MSDOS, rather than FreeDOS.
>>
>> Selecting the proper Rufus options will create a bootable memory
>> stick that will boot on computers that support USB HDD booting, as
>> well as those that do not have USB HDD booting support. In that
>> case, it emulates a floppy drive and boots to A:.
>>
>Remember that Steve is writing his code to run correctly with FreeDOS
>and not MSDOS. This might be important.

IF IT WERE TRUE, perhaps. but I don't believe that statement is at all
correct. Steve chose to use FreeDOS because it was free, and at the time,
MSDOS was not. His programming is NOT FreeDOS-specific. He is relying on
FreeDOS to correctly emulate MSDOS. And it does a pretty good job MOST of
the time. But there are some incompatibilities, still, after all these
years, and as I've noted previously, FreeDOS sometimes fails to run
Spinrite where MSDOS doesn't.
0
Danny
10/8/2013 7:56:39 PM
In article <XnsA253A230B64CDdragonslayer2k194910@4.79.142.203>,
dragonslayer2k@yahoo.com says...
> >Remember that Steve is writing his code to run correctly with FreeDOS
> >and not MSDOS. This might be important.
> >

> IF IT WERE TRUE, perhaps. but I don't believe that statement is at all
> correct. Steve chose to use FreeDOS because it was free, and at the time,
> MSDOS was not. His programming is NOT FreeDOS-specific. He is relying on
> FreeDOS to correctly emulate MSDOS. And it does a pretty good job MOST of
> the time.

But isnt the new project, working with the hardware directly (after
booting and launching)  I.e.  Bypassing 'DOS and the BIOS?

Cant help wondering if in the future, Spinrite could be invoked direct
from the boot sector or MBR of whatever media it's on, if that's
possible these days.  No "OS" as such needed?

That's how all the real old school computer diagnostics used to run that
I remember from my Data General Nova series days.  They had a dedicated
disk (or tape!) you loaded up, before manually invoking the startup
process from the console. (Switches and lights, or very crude ASCII
commands from a serial "Terminal", a Tek 4010 or 4006 BTW.)

But then, no doubt it'd be more dificult to identify what
screen/keyboard etc exists.

"User Output" was either a string of numbers on a "Terminal" or the
program halted with a code showing on the console lights.  You then
spent a long time with an awful lot of fan-fold paper, and often
schematic diagrams.   Happy days....

Back under my rock.

DaveB

0
Mr
10/11/2013 9:32:54 AM
Mr Dave Baxter wrote:

> But isnt the new project, working with the hardware directly (after
> booting and launching)  I.e.  Bypassing 'DOS and the BIOS?
>
> Cant help wondering if in the future, Spinrite could be invoked direct
> from the boot sector or MBR of whatever media it's on, if that's
> possible these days.  No "OS" as such needed?

That is almost what Steve is doing. He is still using a DOS environment, but
really only to provide the screen/keyboard/LPT support. After that he is
planning to address the hardware directly and bypass the BIOS where possible.

One advantage of using DOS rather than rolling his own operating system, is
that for machines where it is not possible to bypass the BIOS, for whatever
reason, he can still fall back to the old SR6 methods of disk access without
having a different product.

AlanD

0
AlanD
10/11/2013 10:10:20 AM
[Star date 47351.49] Danny transmitted:

> IF IT WERE TRUE, perhaps. but I don't believe that statement is at all
> correct. Steve chose to use FreeDOS because it was free, and at the time,
> MSDOS was not. His programming is NOT FreeDOS-specific. He is relying on
> FreeDOS to correctly emulate MSDOS. And it does a pretty good job MOST of
> the time. But there are some incompatibilities, still, after all these
> years, and as I've noted previously, FreeDOS sometimes fails to run
> Spinrite where MSDOS doesn't.

SprinRite ships with FreeDOS, so in the vast majority of cases, that is
what it will be running on. So it makes sense, if you can, to test with
FreeDOS.

"T. Sparrow" <tree-sparrow-a1@hushmail.com> wrote in

>[Star date 47351.49] Danny transmitted:
>

>> IF IT WERE TRUE, perhaps. but I don't believe that statement is at
>> all correct. Steve chose to use FreeDOS because it was free, and at
>> the time, MSDOS was not. His programming is NOT FreeDOS-specific. He
>> is relying on FreeDOS to correctly emulate MSDOS. And it does a
>> pretty good job MOST of the time. But there are some
>> incompatibilities, still, after all these years, and as I've noted
>> previously, FreeDOS sometimes fails to run Spinrite where MSDOS
>> doesn't.
>
>SprinRite ships with FreeDOS, so in the vast majority of cases, that
>is what it will be running on. So it makes sense, if you can, to test
>with FreeDOS.

Sense to whom? If I have a choice between using the real McCoy rather than
a clone, which may or may not give identical results, you can bet I'll
avoid the hassle of "experimenting" with the clone and use the real thing
every time.

I've used spinrite on thousands of hard drives. I've run into numerous
cases where the FreeDOS version failed but the MSDOS version did not. Not
once have I run into a case where the reverse was true. I suppose there is
always a first time, but why bother continuing the "experiment?" After a
few of these instances, I put away the FreeDOS version and now use the
MSDOS version exclusively.
0
Danny
10/11/2013 12:58:14 PM
[Star date 47351.52] Danny transmitted:

> I've used spinrite on thousands of hard drives. I've run into numerous
> cases where the FreeDOS version failed but the MSDOS version did not. Not
> once have I run into a case where the reverse was true. I suppose there is
> always a first time, but why bother continuing the "experiment?" After a
> few of these instances, I put away the FreeDOS version and now use the
> MSDOS version exclusively.

But that isn't testing SpinRite, that's using SpinRite.

JJ <JJ@localhost.> wrote in news:l30et8$s6s$1@news.grc.com:

>On 10/7/2013 11:39 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
>> I do not have any spare USB drives.  Any ISOs available?
>
>You can use the FreeDOS 1.0 base CD image:
>
>http://www.freedos.org/download/
>
>Boot to FreeDOS safe mode.  I believe it will have access to FAT
>formatted partitions.  Or you could edit the bootable ISO to include
>the SpinTest application.

Safe mode? I presume you are referring to "real mode?"
0
Danny
10/11/2013 6:08:07 PM

>I do not have any spare USB drives.  Any ISOs available?

Not even one itsy bitsy memory stick?
0
Danny
10/11/2013 6:09:19 PM

>[Star date 47351.52] Danny transmitted:
>

>> I've used spinrite on thousands of hard drives. I've run into
>> numerous cases where the FreeDOS version failed but the MSDOS
>> version did not. Not once have I run into a case where the reverse
>> was true. I suppose there is always a first time, but why bother
>> continuing the "experiment?" After a few of these instances, I put
>> away the FreeDOS version and now use the MSDOS version exclusively.
>
>But that isn't testing SpinRite, that's using SpinRite.

Duh! IF YOU ARE TESTING NEW CODE, as is currently going on in this
newsgroup, the one thing any sensible/prudent person should/would want to
do would be to remove ALL KNOWN ISSUES in the underlying platform so that
nothing interferes with testing the new code. And FreeDOS DOES HAVE some
issues that MSDOS does not have. Anyway, the OP was also having difficulty
USING his newly-purchased spinrite, and like it or not, MSDOS is the more
stable environment for USING spinrite.
0
Danny
10/11/2013 6:12:14 PM
On 10/11/2013 4:10 AM, AlanD wrote:

> That is almost what Steve is doing. He is still using a DOS environment,
> but really only to provide the screen/keyboard/LPT support. After that
> he is planning to address the hardware directly and bypass the BIOS
> where possible.

Yeah, once Steve figured out how to address all the memory in the
machine (so he could use much larger read and write commands) and a
couple of other minor issues, there really was no other reason to move
from DOS for SpinRite 6.x. DOS is actually a very nice environment if
you want total control of the hardware.

0
Milton
10/11/2013 10:32:45 PM
In grc.spinrite.dev, Milton Scritsmier wrote ...

> On 10/11/2013 4:10 AM, AlanD wrote:
> >
> > That is almost what Steve is doing. He is still using a DOS environment,
> > but really only to provide the screen/keyboard/LPT support. After that
> > he is planning to address the hardware directly and bypass the BIOS
> > where possible.
>
> Yeah, once Steve figured out how to address all the memory in the
> machine (so he could use much larger read and write commands) and a
> couple of other minor issues, there really was no other reason to move
> from DOS for SpinRite 6.x. DOS is actually a very nice environment if
> you want total control of the hardware.

It might be possible for Steve to integrate only the DOS services needed
to boot and run SR6.1.

--
Terry //
0
On 13-10-11 12:12 PM, Danny wrote:
> "T. Sparrow" <tree-sparrow-a1@hushmail.com> wrote in
>
>> [Star date 47351.52] Danny transmitted:
>>

>>> I've used spinrite on thousands of hard drives. I've run into
>>> numerous cases where the FreeDOS version failed but the MSDOS
>>> version did not. Not once have I run into a case where the reverse
>>> was true. I suppose there is always a first time, but why bother
>>> continuing the "experiment?" After a few of these instances, I put
>>> away the FreeDOS version and now use the MSDOS version exclusively.
>>
>> But that isn't testing SpinRite, that's using SpinRite.
>>

> Duh! IF YOU ARE TESTING NEW CODE, as is currently going on in this
> newsgroup, the one thing any sensible/prudent person should/would want to
> do would be to remove ALL KNOWN ISSUES in the underlying platform so that
> nothing interferes with testing the new code. And FreeDOS DOES HAVE some
> issues that MSDOS does not have. Anyway, the OP was also having difficulty
> USING his newly-purchased spinrite, and like it or not, MSDOS is the more
> stable environment for USING spinrite.

Since spingrite ships (and will continue to do so) with FreeDOS, we
should be testing with Freedos.  If there are issues, Steve will have to
fix or work around them before release anyway.  We may as well discover
them now and avoid an un-neccesary point release.

The point of testing is to test the actual deployment, looking for
problems.  Testing with MS-DOS is just dumb since it will not be a part
of the release.

You also mention "KNOWN ISSUES" like it is common knowledge.  Just
saying it does not make it so.  I have no doubt that there are
differences that probably impact Spinrite, but you should be more
specific, ideally linking to the specifc FreeDOS bug report
(http://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/bugs/).  In this way problems can be
worked around or even better, fixed upstream (aka sending patches to the
FreeDOS Project).
0
meganerd
10/12/2013 4:53:35 PM
Does this actually run the SpinRite tool against the drive or only test
performance?

On 10/7/2013 8:39 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> I do not have any spare USB drives.  Any ISOs available?
>
> On 10/5/2013 7:03 PM, JJ wrote:
>> On 10/5/2013 8:24 PM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I'm new to the SpinRite dev community and would like to begin
>>> testing. At present, I
>>> cannot find any place to start or documentation.

0
Matthew
11/28/2013 6:53:14 AM
On 11/28/2013 12:53 AM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> Does this actually run the SpinRite tool against the drive or only test
> performance?

The SpinTest utilities may be found here:

https://www.grc.com/dev/SpinTest/

There is not a lot of documentation available, other than plowing though
the posts here in the grc.spinrite.dev news group, starting with Steve's
May 09, 2013 post and continuing up to Steve's Sep 21, 2013 post.

The SpinTest utilities do *not* run SpinRite.  In fact, the SpinTest
utilities do no writing to disk at all.

I would suggest running SpinTest 15, rel 5.  You will need to be able to
boot your system to DOS (FreeDos or MSDOS) to run it.  SpinTest will
detect and enumerate your drives and determine the max read speeds of
your drives, and display the results.  The results can be sent to a text
file for saving, for example:

ST15-r5.exe >results.txt

SpinTest is currently not compatible with AHCI or Raid, so if your bios
supports it, you would have to flip the bios to ATA or Legacy mode
before booting to DOS to run SpinTest, and then flip the bios back
before booting into Windows.

Besides AHCI, other things yet to be added to SpinTest/SpinRite 6x
include GPT and USB compatibility, and perhaps RAID compatibility.

After his 09-21-2013 post, Steve set aside all SpinTest/SpinRite 6x
development to pursue a new idea he had for secure website
authentication. That idea is called SQRL and is documented in the
grc.SQRL newsgroup and also here: https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm

I was as frustrated as any by this change in direction, but that is just
the way that Steve works. It is, what it is.

To be fair, SQRL has significant and profound potential for changing the
way we will do website authentication in the future and, thus, seems
well worth the time that Steve is putting into it.

Nevertheless, I am impatient for a return to SpinTest/SpinRite 6x
development (as, I'm sure, are many others). Presumably/hopefully, that
will happen some time in early 2014.

HTS!

0
DanR
11/28/2013 7:48:13 PM
It does work on an XPS One (I have done it many times). just set the BIOS
from AHCI to ATA (it might be called legacy, cannot remember now, whatever
it is called, it does work).

Anyway, what are doing with a spinning drive in an XPS One? Drop an SSD in
it, you will love it. Every XPS One we setup has had an SSD put in, it makes
it such a better machine. The only trouble is finding the right 2.5" to 3.5"
bracket (let me know if you find a good one).

0
Ratbat
11/28/2013 8:01:06 PM
I'm curious, firstly, when ACHI support will be fully available.  The
tool scans too slowly to be of practical use for maintenance.  That's my
two cents anyway.

On 11/28/2013 11:48 AM, DanR wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 12:53 AM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
>> Does this actually run the SpinRite tool against the drive or only test
>> performance?
>>
> The SpinTest utilities may be found here:
>
> https://www.grc.com/dev/SpinTest/
>
> There is not a lot of documentation available, other than plowing though
> the posts here in the grc.spinrite.dev news group, starting with Steve's
> May 09, 2013 post and continuing up to Steve's Sep 21, 2013 post.
>
> The SpinTest utilities do *not* run SpinRite.  In fact, the SpinTest
> utilities do no writing to disk at all.

0
Matthew
11/29/2013 7:10:21 AM

>I'm curious, firstly, when ACHI support will be fully available.  The
>tool scans too slowly to be of practical use for maintenance.  That's
>my two cents anyway.

For preventive maintenance, I use DiskFresh. It's free here:

http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html

Installs and runs on Windows, and doesn't interfere with using Windows.
Doesn't have spinrite's dynastat data recovery capabilities, but is great
for refreshing HDD.
0
Danny
11/29/2013 12:37:22 PM
On 11/29/2013 1:10 AM, Matthew Reyes wrote:
> I'm curious, firstly, when ACHI support will be fully available.  The
> tool scans too slowly to be of practical use for maintenance.  That's my
> two cents anyway.

Adding AHCI compatibility was the next thing Steve was going to do with
SpinTest, when he put SpinTest/SpinRite 6x activity aside to work on his
SQRL concept. Presumably, AHCI will be the next thing Steve does when he
resumes working on SpinTest/SpinRite 6x development.

SpinRite 6.0 is constrained to access the drive controller, and hence
the disk drive, through the system Bios. Hence, SR 6.0 has a serious
Bios imposed speed limitation that worsens rapidly with increasing drive
size.

The SpinTest utilities have successfully demonstrated the ability to
bypass the system Bios and talk directly with the drive controller and
disk drive hardware. Thus, the current SpinTest can access a disk drive
at the maximum speed that a controller-drive combo is capable of. This
means SR 6.1 will be able to process a TB sized drive in mere hours
instead of the days/weeks now required by SR 6.0.

At this time, SR 6.1 remains a hope on the horizon. There is no way to
know when this hope will become a reality. It will be, when it will be.

0
DanR
11/29/2013 6:43:45 PM
On 2013-11-29 12:37, Danny wrote:

> For preventive maintenance, I use DiskFresh. It's free here:
>
> http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html
>
> Installs and runs on Windows, and doesn't interfere with using Windows.
> Doesn't have spinrite's dynastat data recovery capabilities, but is great
> for refreshing HDD.

It seems as a nice alternative, but running such an app under Windows is
more risky than using it under DOS.

Windows is much more crash-prone than DOS (Windows has many more drivers
and system services that can crash), and if the computer crashes during
data inversion, you'll have corrupted data.

SpinRite is less prone to crashes, and data corruption is less likely.

In any case, you DO need always a UPS to protect you from blackouts.
0
Daniel
11/29/2013 11:40:19 PM
>For preventive maintenance

i think you would be better off with a spinrite level 4, as it does read and
write. Therefore resetting each bit on the disk.

I am getting a low failure rate on drive by doing this every 6 months.

0
Ratbat
11/30/2013 11:26:00 AM
"Ratbat" <websites@nhutton.com> wrote in

>>For preventive maintenance
>
>i think you would be better off with a spinrite level 4, as it does
>read and write. Therefore resetting each bit on the disk.
>
>I am getting a low failure rate on drive by doing this every 6 months.

My suggestion was to people who CANNOT run spinrite for one or more
reasons. Just wanted them to know that that doesn't preclude them from
doing preventive maintenance. Spinrite v6.0 is a 10-year old piece of
software that is becoming less and less relevant as hardware continues to
change, and Steve continues to procrastinate about its continued
development.
0
Danny
11/30/2013 2:07:53 PM
Daniel <filamentoDONTWANTSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in

>On 2013-11-29 12:37, Danny wrote:
>
>> For preventive maintenance, I use DiskFresh. It's free here:
>>
>> http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html
>>
>> Installs and runs on Windows, and doesn't interfere with using
>> Windows. Doesn't have spinrite's dynastat data recovery
>> capabilities, but is great for refreshing HDD.
>>

>It seems as a nice alternative, but running such an app under Windows
>is more risky than using it under DOS.

To totally eliminate the risk, simply don't turn on the computer.

I've been using DiskFresh for months on a number of drives, from 250GB to
2TB. No crashes yet.

An unstable OS that crashes frequently is just as apt to trash your hard
drive doing "normal Windows stuff" as is DiskFresh while systematically
refreshing the hard drive magnetic signals.

>Windows is much more crash-prone than DOS (Windows has many more
>drivers and system services that can crash), and if the computer
>crashes during data inversion, you'll have corrupted data.

Possibly. But as noted previously, you run the same corruption risk simply
by turning on your computer, especially if you're running Windows.

>SpinRite is less prone to crashes, and data corruption is less likely.

Actually, spinrite is buggy, and does in fact crash occasionally. You have
absolutely no way to quantify your statement that spinrite is ... "less
prone to crashes." ESPECIALLY since my posting was directed to people who
already are having difficulty getting spinrite to RELIABLY run, or run at
all, in their particular environment.

>In any case, you DO need always a UPS to protect you from blackouts.

0
Danny
11/30/2013 2:18:44 PM
In article <l7an8v$2udq$3@news.grc.com>, jdr0denz@tcq.net says...
> At this time, SR 6.1 remains a hope on the horizon. There is no way to
> know when this hope will become a reality. It will be, when it will be.

Steve said, during Security Now on November 27, that he wants to tidy up
the SQRL spec and write his reference implementation. Then he returns to
SpinRite. What that means in terms of "when" I leave to your imagination
(my imagination says "pretty soon").

He's already done much of the spec research he needs to do for AHCI,
although by now I'm sure he'll need to refresh that. (That's probably
good: the refresh cycle is likely clarify a few things for him.)

--
Cheers! John W Baxter Port Ludlow, WA USA
0
On 2013-11-30 14:18, Danny wrote:

> To totally eliminate the risk, simply don't turn on the computer.

I disagree. As a Technet subscriber, I'm an early adopter of new Windows
versions as soon as they're RTM (Released To Manufacturing), and I've
had my fair share of BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) crashes caused by
unstable and buggy drivers (usually nVidia, but also ATI, Creative Labs
and others).

To be fair, Microsoft is not to blame in these cases. But the end result
is that Windows crashes and the system halts with a BSoD.

DOS loads less drivers, and normally you can boot without loading any
third party software. So the risk of a crash is lower.

> Possibly. But as noted previously, you run the same corruption risk simply
> by turning on your computer, especially if you're running Windows.

I disagree again. Many of the crashes I've had occurred while I was
simply browsing the web, and I didn't lose any personal data. Maybe some
incoherences in the filesystem that were quickly fixed by NTFS journalling.

Inverting ALL OF THE DATA (flipping the bits from 1 to 0 and viceversa)
is much more risky. Even if you're just browsing the web, the inversion
process can corrupt your personal files.

Regards.

0
Daniel
11/30/2013 7:16:44 PM
On 11/29/2013 11:43 AM, DanR wrote:

> SpinRite 6.0 is constrained to access the drive controller, and hence
> the disk drive, through the system Bios. Hence, SR 6.0 has a serious
> Bios imposed speed limitation that worsens rapidly with increasing drive
> size.

The speed limitations of SpinRite 6.0 don't come from the BIOS, but from
the small (32KB or 64KB) read and write commands SpinRite issues. That's
a SpinRite 6.0 limitation since it runs in real mode with 16-bit memory
addressing.

The BIOS itself has had extensions since at least when SpinRite 6.0 was
released that allow it to issue much larger commands, but SpinRite 6.0
couldn't take advantage of them. Had Steve known about "unreal mode"
back then he probably could have issued larger (32MB) commands through
the BIOS and SpinRite's performance would have been much greater.

When SpinRite goes into dynastat mode, when the drive reports an error
the BIOS resets itself and this does take a long time. So the long time
during dynastat is due to the BIOS.

0
Milton

Moving tempdb from master dev to new dev
How can I do this move....??? Thanks Zul Azmi Ahmad wrote: > > Rabindranath Raj wrote: > > > > How can I do this move....??? > > Thanks > > yes bb Are you having trouble with the posting of notes? On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:31:04 +0800, in sybase.public.sqlserver.administration Rabindranath Raj <rabin@bbmb.com.my> wrote: >Zul Azmi Ahmad wrote: >> >> Rabindranath Raj wrote: >> > >> > How can I do this move....??? >> > Thanks >> >> yes >bb Rabindranath Raj wrote: ...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

New to spinrite.dev, Non-Windows Testing
Except for a virtual machine, I don't use windows. Mainly use a couple Macs, and several Linux machines. Since there are probably many people who have helped by testing there Macs, I'd be more interested in seeing how compatible the tests are on my Linux Servers. Is there an easy way to setup and run the test without having windows? Is there a quick way to see what particular hardware and machine makes have been tested? For instance, my Dell PowerEdge 2900 with 8 SAS bays (using SATA drives), w/hardware raid controller configured as raid 0 & raid 5+1. Easy way...

[PATCH] File::Path::mkpath, /dev, /dev/dir and /dev/000000 changes
While fetching GD with CPAN.PM, I ran into some problems with File::Path::mkpath, in particular with rooted logicals: $ define/job/trans=conceal root_abcd_1 disk:[perl.cpan.build.id.blah.] mkpath('/root_abcd_1/lds') fails with a "invalid parameter" error when it tries to mkdir('/root_abcd_1'). There's a test in the code for a '000000' directory, but not for the lack of a directory....I suspect that the test was put in to prevent endless loops, prior to a modification of the File::Basename code. So here's a change that does the...

*.dev = docs/dev/*.pod ??
Hi all, I've been reading through some of the pdd's and have noticed mention of *.dev files for actual implementation of features. I'm fairly sure these are actually the pod files under docs/dev, but I just wanted to make sure of this before I make the pdd's point to the files in this directory instead of the *.dev files. Thanks! Paul Paul Cochrane wrote: > Hi all, > > I've been reading through some of the pdd's and have noticed mention > of *.dev files for actual implementation of features. I'm fairly sure > these are actually ...

DEv
Name: dany shemesh Email: dany74qatgmaildotcom Product: Shiretoko Alpha 2 Summary: DEv Comments: I`m a developer,looking for beta testing and development jobs. I love the community,my work is of course free. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1) Gecko/20090806 Namoroka/3.6a1 From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.6a1/firstrun/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

dev
i have a dream it's... when i add something to my table of the database i want to show in the first page like.... i have a news table in database and when i add a news i need to show automaticlly this news in the news table of the main page... and i u can tell me how to it with the graphica that i made to be added to it i'll be so happy.. Hi, it sounds like you're just going to have a default page that has a repeater/datalist control of which you set the DataSource equal to a dataset filled with data from the news table. Please take a look at the quickstart tutorials for this. Please ...

Communication by Firefox devs to add-on devs
The time has come for the developers of Firefox to start communicating with the developers of add-ons. As a case in point: Recently the classic.manifest file in fx3 has had a large number of override codes added to it that reassigned filenames from example.png to example-aero.png. Suddenly, all third-party themes in Vista are now missing buttons in a number of places - some of them not easy to spot (e.g. - the wrap icon that shows up only when you reach the bottom of a page in a page search). If one of the themers had not had a user using Vista who communicated with him, and if the t...

/dev/hda vs /dev/hdb
Before I go and delete a bunch more files, this is right, right? Primary IDE channel: 2 HDDs Secondary IDE channel: 1 CD-DVD The HDD on the primary channel with the master jumper is /dev/hda The HDD on the primary channel jumpered to slave is /dev/hdb Gonna try this: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb Wanting to clone HDD. Going the wrong direction would not be pretty. :) Greg wrote: > Before I go and delete a bunch more files, this is right, right? > > Primary IDE channel: 2 HDDs > > Secondary IDE channel: 1 CD-DVD > > The HDD on the primary channe...

dev.b2g and dev.gaia redundancy?
I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups. Are the original motivations for having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be easier for more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an awful idea? - A +1, half the emails are sent to both lists to take it further I am sitting alone in #fxos on irc On 4 December 2013 00:22, Asa Dotzler <asa@mozilla.com> wrote: > I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately > in the dev.b2g and dev....

Calendar:Dev Guide -- dev support
Hi calendar team! During todays telco you proposed to get more helpers for LG. Sounds good .... but maybe you can make life a bit easier? Calendar:Dev Guide gives a good overview about the code structure and pointing to a lot points. But how about a CVS link? And how to build a "Lightning.xpi" for testing any changes before going to post a change? I'm using eclispe with ANT (and XULbooster) which is doing very well for CVS as well as to build the XPI. Any help/links for that? G�nter Hello G=FCnter! The Dev_Guide is a bit out of date. Some things have c...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

Web resources about - New to Dev - grc.spinrite.dev

The Real Climate Crisis that the Global Warming Scammers are Ignoring
By Karl Denninger No, folks, it's not "globull warming." I know, I know, we're all going to drown if we don't "stop" it. Of course this means ...

Emanuel dismisses top cop Garry McCarthy amid pressure for change
Chicago Tribune Emanuel dismisses top cop Garry McCarthy amid pressure for change Chicago Tribune Garry McCarthy was appointed Chicago police ...

Cyber Monday sales top $3 billion as discounts spur buyers
Shopping through mobile devices soared on Cyber Monday, accounting for more than a quarter of the $3 billion in sales, but many online retailers ...

The Alamo Drafthouse Just Opened a ‘Star Wars’-Themed Movie Theater…in Nebraska
Up until today, you probably had no reason to go to Omaha, Nebraska. But that will change once you see the new theater the Alamo Drafthouse has ...

Ted Cruz buys his rubbers from a vending machine and other fun things the GOP said today
Hello! Welcome to what should really be a regular installment here at Grist, Shit Republicans Running For President Say . Today, we have a double ...

Hillary Clinton's logo accidentally puts Rosa Parks in the back of a bus
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke Tuesday on the anniversary of Rosa Parks' Dec. 1, 1955 arrest for refusing to give her bus seat ...

Is WhatsApp Blocking Links From Telegram?
Is WhatsApp blocking links to rival messaging application Telegram ? orat.io co-founder and CEO Bernhard Hauser reported in a blog post that ...

The complete gift guide for Mark Zuckerberg's new baby
The holidays are just around the corner, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan's daughter Max was born just in time to celebrate But what do ...

Tuesday Night News Brief: ‘Raped by Bear’, Chris Hemsworth, World AIDS Day, ‘Deadpool’
BLOG. Matt Drudge got all excited about the prospect of Leonardo DiCaprio getting raped by a bear in his new film The Revenant . RIGHT WING ...

This Intense Short Film About Virtual Reality Is Already in the Works as a Feature
“Virtual reality, to me, is the only reality.” So begins Uncanny Valley , a short from Argentina’s Federico Heller that’s on the fast track to ...