How to bind/unbind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' by protocol in Win XP Pro?

Am trying to get Win 98 and Win 98SE machines to see Win XP Pro machines and
vice versa.
Have studied Steve Winograd's Windows XP Network Troubleshooting article at:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/ right through the
section titled 'Missteps' - most excellent resource there, except for the
blanket
acceptance of SOHO networking with TCP/IP and NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP.
If I may be permitted to go off half-cocked, I believe my difficulty lies in
my insistance on keeping 'File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks'
and 'Client for Microsoft Networks' unbound from the TCP/IP protocol bound
to my NIC.
Q.  How to selectively bind / unbind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' from
any given protocol in Win XP Pro?  I am not shy of the registry, so lay it
on me.
What I aim to do is bind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' to NetBEUI and
unbind  'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' from TCP/IP.  I do not want to run
my internal network with QoS running or TCP/IP with NetBIOS enabled over
TCP/IP.
Call me paranoid - I just happen to subscribe to Steve Gibson's line of
thinking on these matters - check it out: http://grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm
k_mcintosh@telus.net
0
Kevin
8/17/2002 12:39:00 AM
grc.shieldsup 2699 articles. 0 followers. Follow

OK ... I finally figured out how to get to 'Network Connections' >
'Advanced' > 'Advanced Settings' and was able to unbind TCP/IP from FPS &
CMS - it turned out NetBEUI was already bound to both FPS & CMS by default
during installation of the NetBEUI protocol.
However, ... I am unable to establish LAN connectivity with any other
machines (Win XP Pro or Win 98 / Win 98SE) using NetBEUI alone - very
disappointing.  I know I can get LAN connectivity amongst machines on the
same subnet if I have FPS & CMS bound to TCP/IP, NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP
and ICF disabled, however, I really wanted to avoid having to go this route,
and, it still does not address LAN connectivity for one other Win 98 machine
I have that's on a separate subnet.  With NetBEUI I had fewer security
considerations, and, all the Win 98 / Win 98SE machines could see each
other- even on separate subnets!
Any thoughts anyone?

"Kevin L. McIntosh" <k_mcintosh@telus.net> wrote in message
> Am trying to get Win 98 and Win 98SE machines to see Win XP Pro machines
and
> vice versa.
> Have studied Steve Winograd's Windows XP Network Troubleshooting article
at:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/ right through
the
> section titled 'Missteps' - most excellent resource there, except for the
> blanket
> acceptance of SOHO networking with TCP/IP and NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP.
> If I may be permitted to go off half-cocked, I believe my difficulty lies
in
> my insistance on keeping 'File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks'
> and 'Client for Microsoft Networks' unbound from the TCP/IP protocol bound
> to my NIC.
> Q.  How to selectively bind / unbind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N'
from
> any given protocol in Win XP Pro?  I am not shy of the registry, so lay it
> on me.
> What I aim to do is bind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' to NetBEUI and
> unbind  'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' from TCP/IP.  I do not want to
run
> my internal network with QoS running or TCP/IP with NetBIOS enabled over
> TCP/IP.
> Call me paranoid - I just happen to subscribe to Steve Gibson's line of
> thinking on these matters - check it out:
http://grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm
> k_mcintosh@telus.net

0
K_McIntosh
8/18/2002 9:16:00 AM
K_McIntosh <k_mcintosh@telus.net> wrote:

[snip]

> could see each other- even on separate subnets!
> Any thoughts anyone?

Could you give us some detail about your network?  Are you using ICS?  Are
you using a NAT router?  Do you have cable/dsl?

--�
Robert
List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/
Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site -
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm
0
Robert
8/18/2002 11:29:00 AM
OK ... I'm in Vancouver, B.C., Canada where the telco provider of ADSL is
Telus(.net).  They allow a residential subscriber two dynamic IP's based on
two distinct MAC's at any given time (the dynamic IP's rarely change unless
my h/w is offline for an extended period of time - it never is).
What I've done is come off the 3Com HomeConnect ADSL modem to a Netgear
EN106TP 6-port hub's uplink port, then from the hub's #1 port to an SMC
Barricade SMC7008BR 8-port router's WAN port and from the hub's #2 port to
my
main workstation PC (Win 98) where I 've installed two NIC's - one 10Mbps
ISA card with only TCP/IP (no FPS or CMS bindings and no NetBIOS enabled
over TCP/IP) for direct connection to the hub and another 100Mbps PCI card
with only NetBEUI (bound to FPS & CMS) for connection back to the router's
#7 port.  All other PC's (Win XP Pro X 2, Win 98 X 2 & Win 98SE) connect to
the router through a sheilded CAT5 home network with one of the Win XP Pro
(dual boot to Win 98) machines running a 100Mbps PCI NIC - others are 10Mbps
PCI/ISA NIC's.
I've done this to take advantage of the two IP's available - one for my main
workstation and one for the router (to supply Internet connectivity to the
rest).  This arrangement worked beautifully until I introduced Win XP Pro
machines to it.
My workstation and all of the other Win 98 / Win 98SE machines run
ZA3.1.291.  I haven't bothered firewalling the Win XP Pro machines with ZA
as of yet as I am still struggling to get LAN connectivity between each of
them and to/from the rest.

"Robert Wycoff" <Don't.use.Lockdown@any.price> wrote in message
> K_McIntosh <k_mcintosh@telus.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > could see each other- even on separate subnets!
> > Any thoughts anyone?
>
> Could you give us some detail about your network?  Are you using ICS?  Are
> you using a NAT router?  Do you have cable/dsl?
>
> --�
> Robert
> List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/
> Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site -
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

0
K_McIntosh

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

Index '-n/a-' for table '-n/a-' would not be unique
Mobilink server 9.0.2.3137 ultralite client 9.0.2.3320 I am synchronising an ultralite application written in .net with a mobilink server. I am now running in a duplicate key issue. Unfortunately in the server I get only E. 09/19 10:43:27. <1.24> [GB2993]: Error: [-10035] Download failed with client error -196 and in the client I get Sync Error Index '-n/a-' for table '-n/a-' would not be unique This makes it really hard to see where the problem is. Is this a bug in the ultralite libraries ? The .net code used to catch the error is : while(retrySync...

'To', 'CC', & 'BCC'
Name: Dick Tracy Email: philipdottracyatoptusnetdotcomdotau Product: Thunderbird Summary: 'To', 'CC', & 'BCC' Comments: I have just started using Thunderbird and while I find it quite excellent- I suggest having a button to add addressees to 'BCC' as well. Currently each 'BCC' addressee has to be selected manually. I send e-mail to quite a number of people at a time and I do not wish to readily spread others addresses easily. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0....

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'Tab' N 'Insert'
Hello Friends, I want to insert a new row in my grid datawindow, whenever I press 'Tab' from the last column of the last row of my datawindow. Thanks Rahul Patodi In the user event mapped to the pbm_dwnkey event id put this: string ls_text long ll_row IF key = KeyTab! THEN IF THIS.GetColumn() = dw_1.Object.DataWindow.Column.Count THEN IF dw_1.GetRow() = dw_1.RowCount() THEN ll_row = dw_1.InsertRow(0) dw_1.ScrollToRow(ll_row) dw_1.SetRow(ll_row) END IF END IF END IF Rahul Patodi wrote: > Hello Friends, > I want to insert a new row i...

'''

Why 'and' not '&&' ? (was Cleaning up 'uninitialized value')
> Use: > > if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which tells me I might not fully understand it. Thanks, Peter C. On May 30, Peter Cornelius said: >> if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } > >Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' >here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which >tells...

DetailsView Converts '<' & '>' to '&lt;' & '&gt;'

@DateTimeVariable = N'2009-1-1' , What's the N?
Hi, Trying to test out a stored procedure by right click and execute. Manually typed in a parameter for date time. SQL Script generated as below: What is the N before the date? Why was it added?USE [DBname] GODECLARE @return_value int EXEC @return_value = [dbo].[Query_Result] @ProviderName = null, @TestName = 'auto', @DateAfter = N'2007-12-31', @DateBefore = N'2008-1-3', @ReportStatus = null, @ResultStatus = null, @Abnormality = 'True', @ReportType = 'summary'SELECT 'Return Value' = @return_value GO Hi There, "The N ...

LINQ -- how to do where x in ('a', 'b','c')
How do I write a LINQ expression that does the following: select * from SomeTable where SomeColumn in ('a', 'b','c')  Jay There is no IN operator in LINQ (yet), but you can use Contains instead: http://www.devauthority.com/blogs/jwooley/archive/2007/08/06/69922.aspx Jos...

I'm P*SSed
Hello, I am really pissed. Firefox updated it's self Even though I KNOW I have Always had the auto update setting turned off. I just restarted my PC to clear cache ect. and when I restarted and started Firefox it notified me that it had been updated.. All my Bookmarks are GONE! there is a 2.21 MB "backup" Bookmarks file but it is Empty! I've even looked at it in my editor, HTML-kit and Notepad... It's Empty... All my settings are gone and I can not show the bookmarks bar. What the F* is up with this crap. I'm about to remove and stop recommend...

Web resources about - How to bind/unbind 'F & p s for M N' and 'C for M N' by protocol in Win XP Pro? - grc.shieldsup

Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in their carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion between 1990 and 2009. For more detailed country/region information, see Kyoto Protocol ...

Jarryd Hayne's return to San Francisco 49ers line-up may hinge on NFL's strict concussion protocol
After suffering a concussion in the disastrous loss to Cleveland, the man standing in Jarryd Hayne's way could find he has no choice but to sit ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Stealing PINs and pillaging bank accounts are both trivial.

NFL Considering Changes to Officiating Protocol for Playoffs - Bleacher Report
With the NFL officials under the microscope more than ever, the league is contemplating making changes to officiating protocol for the postseason... ...

Theme parks add extra safety protocols - Videos - CBS News
Major U.S. theme parks across the country, including Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios, are tightening security measures at entry gates. ...

Ongoing MD5 support endangers cryptographic protocols
... hasn't been used to sign SSL/TLS server certificates in many years, but continues to be used in other parts of encrypted communications protocols, ...

'Routine,' 'standard,' and 'protocol' for police usually means overkill for black folks
A neighbor sees someone who may be breaking into a home. Civic-minded and filled with neighborly concern, the witness dials 911 and asks police ...

Imran promises to end VIP protocol in KP
... Imran Khan has said that his party’s government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will take measures to end the practice of halting traffic for VIP protocol. ...

Falcons RB Tevin Coleman is in the concussion protocol because he slipped in the shower and hit his
Falcons RB Tevin Coleman is in the concussion protocol because he slipped in the shower and hit his head. Read more...