Who/what is igmp.mcast.net?

A few applications that, so far as I know, don't even +have+ internet
access components, have started asking my firewall (Sygate Personal
Firewall 5.6) for permission to talk to IP 224.0.0.22.  nslookup says
this is igmp.mcast.net.

whois shows that there is a mcast.net domain, but has no other
information on it.

Firefox cannot locate a www.mcast.net.

These connection attempts did not happen on my old WinXP Pro SP2
machine, but they are on my new one.  The new machine has more current
patches from MS than the old one does.

So, who and/or what is that site, and why are my apps trying to talk to
it?

Googling, I find several results for "mcast", including a few relating
to "multicasting" data to multiple destinations simultaneously.  This
sounds like a possibility, but it gets me no nearer to answering the
question.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.
0
Jeffrey

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:02:40 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan <nomail@gordol.org>
wrote:

>whois shows that there is a mcast.net domain, but has no other
>information on it.

It's a "multicast" address.  Perhaps someone can elaborate on exact
intended use but it does it's own thing to link IP and ethernet
addresses I believe - with the goal of broadcast-like functions on
your local network.

It's more an address to special routing features than a site.

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1700/5.htm
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ip/multicast.htm

HTH,
Bill
--
Expert Opinions $5   I Shut-Up $10
0
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:02:40 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> A few applications that, so far as I know, don't even +have+ internet
> access components, have started asking my firewall (Sygate Personal
> Firewall 5.6) for permission to talk to IP 224.0.0.22.  nslookup says
> this is igmp.mcast.net.
>
> whois shows that there is a mcast.net domain, but has no other
> information on it.
>
> Firefox cannot locate a www.mcast.net.
>
> These connection attempts did not happen on my old WinXP Pro SP2
> machine, but they are on my new one.  The new machine has more current
> patches from MS than the old one does.
>
> So, who and/or what is that site, and why are my apps trying to talk to
> it?
>
> Googling, I find several results for "mcast", including a few relating
> to "multicasting" data to multiple destinations simultaneously.  This
> sounds like a possibility, but it gets me no nearer to answering the
> question.

Doing a Sam Spade IP block lookup on 224.0.0.22 shows this:

| 07/22/06 18:01:03 IP block 224.0.0.22@whois.arin.net
| Trying 224.0.0.22 at ARIN
| Trying 224.0.0 at ARIN
|
| OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
| OrgID:      IANA
| Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
| City:       Marina del Rey
| StateProv:  CA
| PostalCode: 90292-6695
| Country:    US
|
| NetRange:   224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
| CIDR:       224.0.0.0/4
| NetName:    MCAST-NET
| NetHandle:  NET-224-0-0-0-1
| Parent:
| NetType:    IANA Special Use
| NameServer: FLAG.EP.NET
| NameServer: STRUL.STUPI.SE
| NameServer: NS.ISI.EDU
| NameServer: NIC.NEAR.NET
| Comment:    This block is reserved for special purposes.
| Comment:    Please see RFC 3171 for additional information.

RFC 3171 shows this:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3171.html

It looks like another block of IP addresses reserved by IANA for special
use, and not to be routed over the Internet. Something limited solely to
devices on your LAN.

IOW, nothing to worry about.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

> RFC 3171 shows this:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3171.html
>
> It looks like another block of IP addresses reserved by IANA for special
> use, and not to be routed over the Internet. Something limited solely to
> devices on your LAN.
>
> IOW, nothing to worry about.

Thanks.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by
a Great White or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot." -Axel Rose
(Guns'n'Roses)
1
Jeffrey
7/23/2006 2:38:18 AM
"Bill_MI" <bill@mi.no.spam.ath.cx> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:02:40 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan <nomail@gordol.org>
> wrote:
>
> >whois shows that there is a mcast.net domain, but has no other
> >information on it.
>
> It's a "multicast" address.  Perhaps someone can elaborate on exact
> intended use but it does it's own thing to link IP and ethernet
> addresses I believe - with the goal of broadcast-like functions on
> your local network.

It's purpose is to solicit subscriptions from other computers within the
local multicast group.
Usually a multicast server on the ISP subnet broadcasts the solicitation to
all it's peer users. Applications that desire the facility to receive
multicast media will respond to the broadcast.
DSL modem/Routers usually have a config setting to enable an IGMP proxy
feature that forwards the ISP solicitation to the LAN interfaces and pass
back any responses to the ISP.

It can be dangerous though as some broken firmware can improperly proxy
other UDP broadcasts like UPNP broadcasts rather than just the IGMP
broadcasts. (enable IGMP proxy only if multicast reception is only option
available _and_ one's tested that all other LAN traffic is kept secure and
no external users LAN traffic is being proxy'd into your LAN in error.

> It's more an address to special routing features than a site.
>
> http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1700/5.htm
> http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ip/multicast.htm
>
> HTH,
> Bill

0
TK

Difference between asp.net security 2.0 & asp.net security 3.5 framework?
 HI, What are the difference between asp.net security 2.0 & asp.net security 3.5 framework? ASP.NET 3.5 security for me is almost the same as 2.0 as the former is built on top of the latter with the exceptions of framework specific libraries added to the newer framework. Most likely, your 2.0 applications will run well on 3.5 but not necessarily the other way around. The number of new classes added/improved from 2.0 to 3.5 is published and you may search them using your favorite search engine.  Patrick OliverosWeb Developer - Emerson Electric Asia, Ltd. - ROHQwebthinker.wor...

(IN)SECURE Magazine from Net-Security (PDF download)
A little more light reading :-) Latest issue, #13: http://www.net-security.org/insecuremag.php (86 pages, with ads [not animated ads] - like a printed magazine) Archives of past issues: http://www.net-security.org/insecure-archive.php ISSUE 13 (September 2007) * Interview with Janne Uusilehto, Head of Nokia Product Security * Social engineering social networking services: a LinkedIn example * The case for automated log management in meeting HIPAA compliance * Risk decision making: whose call is it? * Interview with Zulfikar Ramzan, Senior Principal Re...

Windows Principle security working in C#.NET Windows application, but not on ASP.NET Web Application with C#.NET as code behind
AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(PrincipalPolicy.WindowsPrincipal); WindowsPrincipal usrPrincipal = (WindowsPrincipal)Thread.CurrentPrincipal; WindowsIdentity usrIdentity = (WindowsIdentity)usrPrincipal.Identity; String usrPrincipalName = usrPrincipal.Identity.Name; String usrPrincipalType = usrPrincipal.Identity.AuthenticationType; String usrPrincipalAuth = usrPrincipal.Identity.IsAuthenticated.ToString()   Can you check why this code is not working in Web application, however it is working in Windows application  Is it crashing at runtime? Not compiling? What...

asp.net's built in security. How secure is it?
If I were to use the login control, create user control, and and password recovery control, how secure would my site be? Is asp.net's built in security more secure than the classic session based security? Are there any articles that ouline this? I've got a dba who says he doesn't believe the built in security is secure enough, and invests too much into asp.net (not enough levels of seperation). Though, I personally think that's retarded. The built in security still uses sessions, and if I were building my own session based security I would be using asp.net to create the sessi...

ASP.NET & .NET Remoting Security Issue???
I have a web application that uses .NET Remoting to execute code on a different machine via TCP/IP. This application contains an object that registers a TCPEx channel through the namespace of: System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChannelServices.RegisterChannelInternal(IChannel chnl) I create the object as: MyObject obj = new MyObject(); The first time I instantiate this object the channel is registered A-OK. To keep from trying to register the channel over and over again when ever the object is created I use the following code in a method called by the constructor: ...

Is .NET Secure?
Here's the scenario. I want to develop a website that is hosted by a third party (shared web host initially) that contains sensitive data.    I encrypt / decrypt the data (that is stored on the SQL server encrypted) at the data access tier to StringBuilders and pass them up the business logic layer to the presentation layer. When the data hits the presentation tier, in this case the web page, I must convert them to String so that I can display them as you cannot simply point web controls to StringBuilders . When the page is rendered, these strings&nbs...

How secure is secure?

Hello I'm happy to announce that we (DDPlus) have just released the first stable version of our new Open Source Project: the Asp.Net Security Analyser (ANSA) Asp.Net Security Analyser (ANSA) is a Open Source, Windows based, online tool, that tests the server's security for known vulnerabilities and mis-configurations. The tool was initially designed to allow the protection of ISPs that provide shared hosting services. You can download the source code, use it in your servers and distribute it to who ever you feel appropriate. The project's objective is to create an Open Source tool that allows system administrators (responsible for windows based shared hosting environments) to easily identify and solve existent security problems. The current version is focused on identifying security vulnerabilities such as: remote command execution, pour website isolation (i.e. the user from website A can see the data from website B), disclosure of sensitive information (such as usernames/passwords, running processes, installed services), ability to do a server based port scan, etc.. Eventually the tool should evolve to a "Asp.Net Security Configuration Tool" where it will also allow the SysAdmins to securely configure their servers This project is currently hosted in a Workspace in GotDotNet (www.gotdotnet.com) and this is the direct link to the project: http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Workspaces/Workspace.aspx?id=36ae9a2c-8...

security too secure

Security in .NET
hi All, I m make a application, here, user can view some page or some not, So which type of security i can use, Page Level security means, every time when page,this check user is valid or not, or User level, means every time user login, check those pages user can visit. which type of tecnique is best regarding security and performence... plz discuss in detial thanx in advance Sajjad Please Mark as Answer, if the post Solve your Problem__________________________Regards,Sajjad RizviC U ON NETreply me : sajjaddotnet@yahoo.com Windows authentication  - for intranet scenarios. F...

Security in .net
Dear friends i have created applications projects and also  give the permission to download through web.but every month client have to  get new registration number then only that applications will work.other wise it will get expires .give the idea how to do that .. Hi, inbaathere are a lot of ways to implement such an application. You have 2 main choices to make - to use the direct URL to your file (for example http://yoursite.com/downloads/somefile.zip) or to use common download page ( for example http://yoursite.com/download.aspx?fileId=23423154243 ).1) If you choose the first way (with direct URL) you have to implement a HttpHandler, which will check if each request comes from logged in user or a guest. If the user is not logged in then redirect him/her to the log in page. 2) For the second way (with common download page) you have to create a table in the DB to save (filePath, fileID) pairs. Then only logged in users will have access to the download.aspx page. The download.aspx page will retrieve the file path corresponding to the fileID parameter and will send the file to the user.I hope this helps http://pavkata.blogspot.com/...

Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0
Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0 http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/01/SecurityBriefs/default.aspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** As I write this column, version 2.0 of the Microsoft .NET Framework is at Beta 1. When I got my bits, I hacked together a little program to dump all of the public members of all public types in the entire Framework and ran it on version 1.1 as well as 2.0. I then used WINDIFF.EXE to compare the two text files, and spent a few hours paging through the changes taking notes, paying special attention to anything that was security related. Security support in the .NET Framework got a lot of love in version 2.0, and this month I'm going to take you on a whirlwind tour of the goodies you'll find there. I won't be able to cover everything, but you'll know where to start looking to stay on top of the new changes. I'll take this a namespace at a time. Oh, and the obvious caveat applies: this is beta software, so anything I talk about here could change before the final release. *********************************************************** Unquote *********************************************************** -- Kayode Okeyode http://del.icio.us/kayodeok http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ ...

when is secure, secure?

about net security
Name: Nasir Email: nasi81ataoldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: about net security Comments: Dear Sir Please tell me that if I use firefox for browsing any type of web site, can it would be checked by my administrator that which type of web sites are to be open at my system or not? Mean the Administrator can check or not the sites which I used to open at my system? Waiting your reply Thanks & Regards Nasir Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note ...

mcast.net
For the last week or so, I have been getting an outgoing message from my firewall (Kerio) on startup. The message is: "Application: 'Tcpip Kernel Driver'; protocol: [2]; Remote address IGMP.MCAST.NET [224.0.0.22]: Unknown event" I noted on Google that other people have gotten the exact same message, but there wasn't any definitive explanation that I could find. I checked the name and IP on Samspade.org, but frankly couldn't understand the information returned. Can someone please shed some light on this. Thanks. HankG --- Outgoing mail is ce...

.net Security
Hi.Please explain me about declarative security & imperative security.Thanks in advance.(If this has answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer" on this post. Thank you!)Best Regards,Michael SyncMicrosoft WPF & Silverlight InsiderBlog : http://michaelsync.net Declarative security is where you establish Code Access Security requirements through the use of attributes attached to classes and methods. Imperative security is where you interact with the security engine using method calls.RegardsDave Thanks so much..(If this has answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer" on this post. Thank you!)Best Regards,Michael SyncMicrosoft WPF & Silverlight InsiderBlog : http://michaelsync.net...

Mixing Forms and Windows Security in ASP.NET --> in VB.net
Hi, I searched for a mixed Logon (Form and Windows Security) and get some code in c#. I need the code in VB.net. Can anyone help? I used this code:  Mixing Forms and Windows Security in ASP.NET http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972958.aspx Thanks  ml2h2 There is no code in the link. If you need help in coding in vb.net from c#, i can assist you.   cheersPlease Mark Post that helped you as answer, also include a summary of what solved the problem as it helps others in similar situations naturehermit: There is no code in the link. If y...

Mixing Windows Security and Forms Security ASP.NET 2.0
I have a intranet web application that uses Windows authentication. I want to expose this website to some external users on the internet. Is there a way to use both Forms authentication and Winodws authentication with ASP.NET 2.0? ...

Asp.Net.Vulnerability: Asp.Net buffer overflows (potential security problems)
Have anybody tested if the latest RPC vulnerabilities can be executed from an Asp.Net page running in an un-patched server? Since it is possible to make direct Win32 API calls from Asp.Net there is a high change that these vulnerabilities will work. If that is possible, please provide the test code in order for me to add it to our ANSA (Asp.Net Security Analyser, see http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Workspaces/Workspace.aspx?id=36ae9a2c-8740-4b52-924e-320edf64fba5) so that system administrators can quickly identify the vulnerable servers and patch them. Note that...

Difference between ASP.Net 2.0 inbuilt Security and Security Application block?
Can someone please tell the difference between ASP.Net 2.0 security and Security Application block? Do they complement each other or they are two separate approaches? Which of them results in faster performance as far as user authentication/authorization is concerned?sun21170 Please clarify your question. what do you mean "security and Security Application block"? When I mention 'ASP.Net 2.0' security I mean use either forms or windows or passport authentication and then write custom code to fetch the user's roles for authorization and store this information of roles/username i...

Latest .net security update (KB 928365) breaking asp.net ajax?
Microsoft released a security update (KB 928365) to address some critical security issues in .net framework on july 10th. After installing the update, we found that some of the asp.net ajax related stuff are not working anymore. Specifically we use the Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance().add_endRequest feature of the ajax client side library and it is not working anymore after the patch is applied. Removing the patch brings everything back to normal. We found that the script used to initialize the scriptmanager Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._initialize is not being rendered after...

Security issue when migrating from Asp.net 1.1 to Asp.net 2.0
Hello AllI'm in process of migrating my Asp.net 1.1 web application to Asp.net 2.0 and have some issues that i hope you can help me on.my old website has its own functionality for Membership and Profile managment.Now i want to use the new Asp.net 2.0 Membership and Profile management model. after i have checked them out i found that they will not fit to my requriements.So i hope someone will help me to be able to customize them to my needs. No i'm working on the Membership part. after searching the internet i have found that i need to implement my own SqlMembershipProvider Class but i faced some problems here. the problem with the Asp.net CreateUserWizard control that interface with the SqlMembershipProvider Class. i want to add many other fields to this control than the ones it have. i have found 2 solutions, 1- add another steps to the control(i don't want this)  2-Edit the control template. i'm working on the second option now and need help with it. how to make the SqlMembershipProvider Class know about the new fields that i will add to the control cause i see that this class just can deal with the existing ones. Someone told me about SqlMembershipUser Class but i don't know what i should do with it.I hope anyone can help.Thanks in Advance Pls see this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1421063.aspx...

WS-Security with VS.NET 2005 Web Service and .NET 1.1 Client
We ship a webservices client piece into the field which is required to run on the .NET 1.1 version of the framework, this is defined by our business people and cannot change. We would like to work with .NET 2.0 in VS.NET 2005 for the backend Web Service piece. We are able to get the 2 to communicate fine and it is not a problem. The issue now is that we need to introduce security through WS-Security. I have not been able to find much information about interop between the 2 environments and WS-Security and cannot get the security elements to be invoked in VS.NET 2005. Currently we are trying ...

asp.net 2.0 role based security for mysql using mysql/net connector
Hi Guys, I'm nbew to the forumn so here goes. Im currently trying to implement role based security with mysql using the mysql connector thing is i dont know where to start, tutorials that i look at on the internet seem to be based around sql server. I was hoping that somebody out there has implemented this using mysql with the mysql/net connector, Apreciate any and all help guys Many thanks in advance Andy hi, im a newbie to .net and a newbie to this forum so here goes, firstly i want ot create user roles, thing is i cant find a decent tutorial anyway - does naybody know  of o...

Web resources about - Who/what is igmp.mcast.net? - grc.security

Civil affairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The UN uses the term "Civil Affairs" differently from other - mainly military - institutions. Civil affairs officers in UN peace operations are ...

Interview with ikee (iPhone Virus Creator) - ikee virus removal details enclosed
I've decided that it's in the best interest of the iPhone community that I remove the source code for now. Whilst I'm a firm believer of Open ...

Cisco Training Courses
Cisco training courses and certification training delivered around Australia. Learn the latest techniques for installing, configuring, maintaining ...

Pages tagged "trance"
Blog Bookmarker (beta) social bookmarking - the best of the blogosphere Home Login Register About Us Contact Us Privacy all bookmarks tagged ...

ClubbersRadio.com • Tomorrow's Dance Remixes
ClubbersRadio - new and classic dance.

bitmaintech/cgminer · GitHub
cgminer - ASIC / FPGA / GPU miner in c for bitcoin and litecoin

1st Hamrun Scout Group - MCAST Prospectus 2012
Home About Our Country Our Group Commitee Our History Promise and Law Our Location Pipe Band Calendar Sections Beaver Colony (5-7 Y/O) Cubs Section ...

I Voice - Music Release Highlight - Our Weekly Selection :: Hype Lies & Gossip
I Voice New Releases - New section releases & Labels Info, Dance Music Magazine, New Tracks , Mp3, Single, EP, Vinyl, Remix & Album

SessionM partners with Punchcard to reward users for in-store purchases
... active users each month. Finally, with the combination of Punchcard’s purchase data and SessionM’s mobile audience segmentation tool (mCAST), ...

Insiter Online - Student News Malta - Online News Malta - Students Malta - Student News Malta - Insiter ...
... there is only one place to look to - Insiter Online - Your Home for student news in Malta covering stories from the University of Malta, Mcast, ...