vpn

pcanywhere?!?!?!
what kind of encryption does that do?
not much AFAIK
best to use something that encrypts the traffic
I have an SME server (e-smith.org   Linux) on my cable modem that is my
firewall, webserver, email server, router, NAT, etc.... Been using for
years, no problems, very secure.
The SME has pptp VPN (128bit) built in. works like a charm, (not as secure
as 3DES)
I routinely nmap my home server and my work server running checkpoint and my
home server gets a higher difficulty rating, much higher, FWIW.
you could then use pcanywhere thru the tunnel,
this is how I ssh into my home server, this makes the traffic encrypted
twice.
there is no way I would pcanywhere into a box directly over the Internet.

anyone have any info on how secure pcanywhere is, does it encrypt traffic,
username, password??
0
steve

In grc.security, steve said...
> pcanywhere?!?!?!
> what kind of encryption does that do?
> not much AFAIK
> best to use something that encrypts the traffic
> I have an SME server (e-smith.org   Linux) on my cable modem that is my
> firewall, webserver, email server, router, NAT, etc.... Been using for
> years, no problems, very secure.
> The SME has pptp VPN (128bit) built in. works like a charm, (not as secure
> as 3DES)
> I routinely nmap my home server and my work server running checkpoint and my
> home server gets a higher difficulty rating, much higher, FWIW.
> you could then use pcanywhere thru the tunnel,
> this is how I ssh into my home server, this makes the traffic encrypted
> twice.
> there is no way I would pcanywhere into a box directly over the Internet.
>
> anyone have any info on how secure pcanywhere is, does it encrypt traffic,
> username, password??

http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/features.html

http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/pdf/Addressing%
20Security.pdf

--
Milly
0
> pcanywhere?!?!?!

I assume you are replying to me. Actually including some of the post you
are replying to is usually considered helpful.

> what kind of encryption does that do?

I find it amusing that you (apparently) have no idea how pcanywhere does
encryption or authentication, yet you have discounted it as an option.

> not much AFAIK

Not much seems to be what you know about pcanywhere.

> best to use something that encrypts the traffic

Like pcanywhere does ?

> I have an SME server (e-smith.org   Linux) on my cable modem that is my
> firewall, webserver, email server, router, NAT, etc.... Been using for
> years, no problems, very secure.
> The SME has pptp VPN (128bit) built in. works like a charm, (not as secure
> as 3DES)
> I routinely nmap my home server and my work server running checkpoint and my
> home server gets a higher difficulty rating, much higher, FWIW.
> you could then use pcanywhere thru the tunnel,

He can use pcanywhere through your tunnel ?
Or do you mean your solution to him is to set up a linux box at home,
set up pptp, and make sure he has a vpn capable device like checkpoint
at the office ?

Is any of the above supposed to be an answer to the original question?

> this is how I ssh into my home server, this makes the traffic encrypted
> twice.

LOL. That makes it twice as secure, right ?
Sorry, I don't feel the need to encrypt my ssh sessions, that seems to
be more than overkill.

> there is no way I would pcanywhere into a box directly over the Internet.
>
> anyone have any info on how secure pcanywhere is, does it encrypt traffic,
> username, password??

Yeah, google has plenty.

--
Bloated Elvis
0
"Milly" <-@-.-> wrote in message =
> In grc.security, steve said...
> > pcanywhere?!?!?!
> > what kind of encryption does that do?
> > not much AFAIK
> > best to use something that encrypts the traffic
> > I have an SME server (e-smith.org   Linux) on my cable modem that is =
my
> > firewall, webserver, email server, router, NAT, etc.... Been using =
for years, no problems, very secure.
> > The SME has pptp VPN (128bit) built in. works like a charm, (not as =
secure as 3DES)
> > I routinely nmap my home server and my work server running =
checkpoint and my home server gets a higher difficulty rating, much =
higher, FWIW.
> > you could then use pcanywhere thru the tunnel, this is how I ssh =
into my home server, this makes the traffic encrypted twice.
> > there is no way I would pcanywhere into a box directly over the =
Internet.

> > anyone have any info on how secure pcanywhere is, does it encrypt =
traffic, username, password??

> http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/features.html

> =
http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/pdf/Addressing%20Security.pdf=

> --=20
> Milly

Do not forget port forwarding on your router for pcAnywhere if you are =
not in the DMZ IP address range.
Your local firewall settings, program allow or ports allow, block =
servers (internet and/or local).
If on a secure user account OS, its user/password comb. security =
settings.
and one more tip: pcAnywhere port settings (default or custom).
It can encrypt all traffic if you setup public keys at both ends.
0
abcministoragellc

VPN security vrs Internet Security
I think I'm missing something really obvious and simple, but I can't work this out, and I can't work out why I don't know. I've been listening to GRC podcasts (14 & 15) on VPN , very interesting. But I can't grasp a very simple issue. You talk about the insecurity of wifi in hotels, cafes etc and suggest a VPN to your home router as the solution. In the wifi location people could sniff your passwords to email, ftp account, banking, etc ... but VPN your connection to home and it's safe from there. Why is it any safer from your home router ... wh...

security too secure

How secure is secure?

when is secure, secure?

VPN Security Options
I am of the understanding that once a VPN tunnel is set up data is effectively hidden from the internet. I've got a Draytek Vigor 2600 router which gives extra VPN security options so what are the advantages or disadvantages of extra VPN security options. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > I am of the understanding that once a VPN tunnel is set up data is > effectively hidden from the internet. > I've got a Draytek Vigor 2600 router which gives extra VPN security > options so what are the advantages or disadvantages of extra VPN > security options. Not s...

VPN or not for highest security
A theoretical question for y'all: A client wants to set up a machine for an employee to take home and is very concerned about opening up his network to potential damage in whatever form. The at-home employee has no need of Netware services, only to connect to a single, dedicated-purpose computer that hosts video camera surveillance software - basically a way for the shop supervisor to keep an eye on the 24 x 7 shop when he's not there. If we place the dedicated-purpose machine on the private side and set up the VPN client and allow the remote user to come in that way...

VPN Security Levels
My daughter is soon taking her netbook computer on holiday, her hotel has a wifi connection. As I do not know what security is in force I would like to set up a VPN connection to my home network as my Draytek Vigor 2600 has an inbuilt VPN server. My router supports pptp, L2TP and IPsec. I have initially set up a L2TP using IPSec and AES encryption. I'm assuming the username and password are merely for login on so does the TKIP key provide the encryption and if so is it the longer the better. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > My daughter is soon taking her netbook ...

Novell vpn wireless security
Has any one tried this vpn client for wireless security I am tring to see if it is worth my time. My current problem is that with 802.1x auth and EAP-PEAP you have to login workstation only so that the wireless connection can startup authenticate and then get an ip. Then you can login to novell. With the VPN client I have an idea that if I make the wireless network security open the computer will get an ip before I login to the Novell client. Then you can login to vpn and authenticate with novell together. Then if that works the question of roaming and how the vpn tunnel stays connec...

Security
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any explanation of FIPS under Thunderbird help. -- Have a good day R Schwager --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Tr...

Security VS VPN channels
Hi ! We just purchased some LinkSys BEFVP41 and wish to use their VPN inter-connectivity capability to connect distant LANs over Internet connections. Can anyone comment on the inherent security problems it might cause ? Are there recommendations that you can give at tech guy who is not very good at hacking ? :) Or can you give me indications to some good documentation that could help me ? Thank you, KodDiv Their VPN is just as secure as any, it depends on how its set up. I use and setup VPN's at least twice a week. Its usually with Cisco PIX, or Sonicwalls, but I h...

form security against security
i have a form in my website which is to be filled by user and that form stores in database(sql server 2005). but someone told me that anyone can run script  in textboxes in that form and can damage database, so how to avoid such security lack.  it is common practice to use parameterized sql statements or stored procs to insure you are protected from sql injections attacks. if you concatenate user input directly into a sql statement, then you are at risk.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converte...

Secure connections: how secure are they?
*QUOTE* ......... both useful and malicious information can be transmitted via network connections. Standard solutions protect computers against threats present in standard network connections, but aren't able to counter threats present in secure connections. Verifying the contents of a secure connection is impossible by virtue of its secure nature, as demonstrated by the different types of protection listed above. As a result, malicious data within secure channels can cause a significant amount of damage, and sometimes more than if it were to be transmitted via a standard, non-s...

Password secure...is it secure?
Yes I just got this baby and I LOVE it! Its great. I have stored all my passwords inside of it (and yes made a few backups from them in secure locations) How secure is this program really? It uses blowfish to encrypt the database but how strong blowfish? 128bits? 256? 448? Anything else I should think about it? I have putted it and its databases inside PGPdisk just to play it safe...but then again Im a paranoid. :) -- Markus Jansson ************************************ My privacy related homepage and PGP keys: http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/ ********...

How secure is AuthenticationTypes.Secure?
I understand that AuthenticationTypes.Secure requests secure authentication using Kerberos or NTLM (??). However, here is a scenario I am trying to understand. Let us say that I am having a regular ASP.NET site - with SSL certificates not installed on the web server. The login sends the request out to an AD server which also does not have certificates installed. However, I have set Secure flag to AuthenticationTypes.Secure. When the username and password data gets transmitted between the application and the LDAP server, how secure are the password and username info? In other words is this in...

How secure is secure enough?
July 28, 2008 (Computerworld) This story originally appeared in Computerworld's print edition. If there is a Holy Grail in the information security industry, it surely is the answer to the question, "How secure is secure enough?" It's a question that many security managers have either avoided answering altogether or tried to quickly sidestep by throwing a fistful of mainly pointless operational metrics at anyone who cared to ask. http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=321921&intsrc=hm_list -- "Never d...

Web resources about - vpn - grc.security

blackVPN - premium VPN services
blackVPN provides premium VPN services. We have servers in Netherlands, Lithuania, Russian and Ukraine, Singapore, UK & USA where you can surf ...

Surf anonymously - Download now and use for free - CyberGhost VPN
Make yourself invisible with CyberGhost VPN. Its anonymization services give you complete privacy when surfing, downloading, and sharing files ...

Best Private VPN Service Reviews, Free trial & Coupons - 2012
Review top private VPN service providers since 2008, 1000s of real customer reviews help you find the best private VPN service provider and deal ...

Pro VPN Accounts - Buy Anonymous VPN Account Service to Proxy Unblock Skype, VOIP, Youtube, Facebook ...
IP Address: 212.227.97.200 Our service replaces your IP Address with one of our secure and anonymous IPs. It will make you appear to be from ...

High Speed VPN Accounts, 24 Hour Live Help and Unlimited Bandwidth
StrongVPN offers high speed VPN accounts in multiple locations worldwide. Choose a VPN provider with the best service. Orders approved 24 hours ...

SunVPN. VPN service for personal use. OpenVPN and PPTP VPN services available.
VPN service for personal use. SunVPN offers the best OpenVPN and PPTP VPN service available.

FAST VPN SERVICE and EASY TO USE VPN SOFTWARE
Hide Your Online Address & IP with Our Trusted Simple to use VPN. Instant Setup, Only $9.95/Mo, 50 Locations, Ultra Fast Unlimited Connections ...

VPNfreedom - Your Resource to VPN Related News
Learn how to unblock any website such as Netflix and Hulu with VPN and enjoy an open and secure Internet.

FREE VPN Service Provider: Online Privacy & Internet Security - VPNReactor.com
100% Free VPN Service for internet security and online privacy. Our VPN provides online privacy and strong 128 bit encryption for internet security. ...

Super VPN - PPTP and Open VPN Anonymous Web Surfing Services
Super VPN offers paid and free PPTP and Open VPN services which provide you anonymous web surfing without provider logs for personal and business ...