Valve's Steam Software (posted in security.software also)

Several issues have been brought up recently regarding the security of
Valve's (makers of Half-Life and Half-Life2) content delivery system named
Steam.

I have had some issues as well as numerous posts on their forums regarding
the safety of this program. The first place I decided to come was here to
see if I could find any info regarding this. Since I have not been able to
find anything, I decided to post and see what anyone else has to say
regarding this piece of software.

The link to their site is www.steampowered.com and
www.steampowered.com/forums .

If anyone could, please, inform me (us) as to any security issues with this
program and please explain how to fix these issues. And, btw, this program
is REQUIRED in order to play halflife and the subscriber agreement is pretty
scary...lol.
0
Reeves

In article <cr02oa$lvn$1@news.grc.com>, Reeves writes
>Several issues have been brought up recently regarding the security of
>Valve's (makers of Half-Life and Half-Life2) content delivery system named
>Steam.

[Copied from the subject:  (posted in security.software also)]

You've got several answers over there already. FWIW, the [much]
preferred method in these groups is to cross-post the article to the
appropriate groups and set a follow-up [1] to the one that seems best.
That helps avoid duplication of effort where two [or more] people may be
providing the same information in multiple groups. And makes it much
easier to see all the replies.

        [1] A follow-up _must_ be set on cross posted articles on this
        server or they'll be rejected. Details, methods, suggestions and
        FAQs about that and more re: this server at the link in my sig.
--
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets:
http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm

Securing Windows: Inside Microsoft's Battle to Deliver Secure Software
Securing Windows: Inside Microsoft's Battle to Deliver Secure Software http://www.eweek.com/category2/0,4148,1252525,00.asp (A record of virus/worms/holes since August 2003 and how Microsoft has battled them) -- Kayode Okeyode http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm ...

Hacker's 'Toolkit' Shows Security Flaws Not Just in Software
A "toolkit" that bundles malicious-code exploits for 10 separate Cisco Systems security flaws is now available on the Internet. Take this as a wake-up call -- and a reminder that effective security goes well beyond software. http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=120386 -- Donna, Track or post software updates at http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar ...

Software [In]Security: Twitter Security
Making Your Thoughts as Small and Incomplete as Possible Just for the record, I don't use Twitter. But if this column were a Twitter entry, it might read something like: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350268&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_T -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Open software, secure software
Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say that things haven't improved much since her day. Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing Consortium (SCC), an academic, gove...

Electronic security was a 'secondary' issue, says M$'s security honco???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=1524&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" "Johannes Niebach" <niebach@sprint.ca> wrote in message news:9lgmae$56c$1@news.grc.com... > http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=1524&mode=thread&order=0 > This is exactly what the problem is. "We built really great things that give you the ability to do really great things and often at times it's almost secondary at the back what som...

(Assuming backup software is also security software:) How can I back up my data NOT using MS Backup?
Hi all, XPPRO SP1. I have GB's of data I need to backup. The data changes on a regular basis, so I need to be able to do incremental backups. I don't want to use MS Backup since that compressed data to a MS-format, and I've allready had "can not read, archive damaged" messages on such archives. So, I need a stable product that enables me to backup the original data without compressing it into a specific, non recoverable, format. Of course, the software would need to be able to set archive bits and use these bits in incremental/differential backups. Does anyb...

Is security software becoming a security risk?
"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the problem worse, not better "... <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r -- js http://justheadlines.exofire.net john s. smith wrote: > "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk > by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the > problem worse, not better "... > ...

Radialpoint company based in Canada offers security software for many ISP's
Verizon as many others are using Radialpoint's software for the Internet Security Suite for many of the ISP's customers. I have never heard of them before, and was wondering if anyone knows how effective the protection of the software is. Thanks, Rob. ...

Valve's (makers of HalfLife 1 and 2) required program Steam security
Several issues have been brought up recently regarding the security of Valve's (makers of Half-Life and Half-Life2) content delivery system named Steam. I have had some issues as well as numerous posts on their forums regarding the safety of this program. The first place I decided to come was here to see if I could find any info regarding this. Since I have not been able to find anything, I decided to post and see what anyone else has to say regarding this piece of software. The link to their site is www.steampowered.com and www.steampowered.com/forums . If anyone co...

Light Point Security: a Software 'Jail' for Malware?
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304500404579125412467448986 Imagine browsing the Internet from your desktop without any of the content actually touching your computer. That's what Light Point Security LLC allows users to do to protect their computers from Web-based malware, or malicious software, such as viruses and worms. On 10/12/13 01:35, jay thompson wrote: > http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304500404579125412467448986 >Imagine browsing the Internet from your desktop without any of the > content actually touching your com...

Book Review: Software Security
I'm jealous. No seriously. If Cigital is actually ran as depicted in the book Software Security - Building Security In, I have to give kudos to Gary and the gang for making an impressive environment for software security. I'm a fan of Gary's writing. If you are a regular reader, you know I loved both his books on Building Secure Software and Exploiting Software. This latest book is, in my mind at least, a balancing act between the two previous books on the topic. Gary calls it the "Ying and Yang". Which makes total sense, since the book cover is of exactly that, ...

Security software to secure USB flash drives?
Hello, does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would password protect access to a USB flash drive?) Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. Any help would be appreciated. Paul -- Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11. Paul Jackson wrote: > Hello, > > does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would > password protect access to a USB flash drive?) > > Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. > > Any help would be appreciated. >...

What do security guards and computer security software have in common???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=920&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

Web resources about - Valve's Steam Software (posted in security.software also) - grc.security