TheMoon worm targets routers

Watch out there a worm called "TheMoon" targeting mainly Linksys routers. It's main purpose
is to turn on Remote Web Administration on the routers so hackers can then take over your router.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246392/There_s_now_an_exploit_for_TheMoon_worm_targeting_Linksys_routers
0
Dallam

Worm targets security software (article)
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8334809.html "A destructive new worm that destroys antivirus software on infected computers was slowly spreading Wednesday. " "The Maldal.D worm, also known as ZaCker, was written and distributed Dec. 29, according to antivirus software maker Symantec, prompting fears the worm could sneak past security software that wasn't updated over the holiday break." "We always worry when something comes out at the end of the week or over a holiday, when nobody's in their office," said Steve Trilling, director of rese...

Security: new router or no router??
XPH -- My telco DSL connection dropped mysteriously yesterday and I traced the problem to my D-Link DI-604 router, which had given me intermittent cr*p through the years (is it "Lebowski" or "Kingpin" in which randy Quaid says "When life gives you crap, make Crapenade"?) and has either now died or just needs a rest. I pulled the router from the cabling and am connecting directly to my modem (PPPoE). Connection seems stable and fast enough; I went to ShieldsUp! to test things and noted one significant difference in router/direct results: with router,...

Router Worm....
Well folks, there appears to be a worm being distributed by bot armies that initially targets your routers. It looks for routers with remote admin access enabled using HTTP (TCP Port 80). First, the worm probes for routers with no admin password. If the router has got such a password, the worm sends a huge password ~3K bytes to try and crash the password check. /I think it's trying to get the router to go back to default settings/. My router - a DLink 704P - appears to be immune to the huge password crash and happily sends a "No Good" response to the worm's ...

Router security
I have win xp installed and using its firewall. I also have a inexq router hardware with the firewall installed. The test shows I have all ports in stealth which is good but I was reading about checking my Nat routers wan security and do not understand how to do this? When I used shield to test my ports it shows a ip address. This ip address is my wans ip address in my routers settings, which I checked my routers settings. How do I check my routers wan security? Thanks In message <c6tvum$j4k$1@news.grc.com>, Twomilepost <twomilepost@warp.nfld.net> writes >I have wi...

Router for security?
HI, I run BID and ZA on my machine, but have recently gone to cable broadband and use a cheap router to allow the other machines I am building to access the net as well. Since using the router I have had no alarms from BID or ZA. Is a router sufficient security, so that I do not need the software any more?. I know ZA is free, but I've paid for BID, and need to if I still want support. TIA Please remove ns prefix if emailing Paul Steel <ns-psteel@tesco.net> wrote: > HI, > > I run BID and ZA on my machine, but have recently gone to cable > broadband a...

What is router security?
I've got a security question. Akoellh once said: > > Default Re: sshfs vs nfs > . . . If only used in a LAN without _any_ possibility to access the > shares from the "outside world", nfs will perform better, however nfs is > no real option if the shares should be available from outside the LAN. > > (Same story for smb, of course, never make shares accessible to the > WAN.) So I've got a typical home wifi router. None of the machines inside this LAN are setup with port-forwarding, or as DMZ machines. The router uses WEP. One box ...

secure router?
Hi I am new to the newsgroup I find Steve an Leo pod cast a big help I have a wireless network I am using wpa but I have noted one thing the router was a option to obscure the psk key I have changed the password my concern is if some one get my admin password of the router thy could get my network key what else can I do to secure my router thank for any advice Beau "Beau Thompson" <n9mfk@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:ds59ts$nbr$1@news.grc.com... > Hi I am new to the newsgroup I find Steve an Leo pod cast a big help > I have a wireless network I am using...

Router security
I have win xp installed and using its firewall. I also have a inexq router hardware with the firewall installed. The test shows I have all ports in stealth which is good but I was reading about checking my Nat routers wan security and do not understand how to do this? When I used shield to test my ports it shows a ip address. This ip address is my wans ip address in my routers settings, which I checked my routers settings. How do I check my routers wan security? Thanks "Twomilepost" <twomilepost@warp.nfld.net> wrote in message news:c6tvtl$j3t$1@news.grc.com... >...

Router to router
Can I connect a router to an outbound port of another router? Here's why. I have a client who owns the building where his offices are located. He has a tenant, a travel agency, who recently struck a deal with an independent communications supplier to upgrade and combine all his telecom needs (local, LD, and DSL) into one T3 service. (The building is located such that, distance-wise, no major telecoms want to offer anything but local/LD service). Apparently there is sufficient capacity in this setup that the tenant has offered to allow connectivity for my client's inte...

To router or not to router?
Fry's electronics had a router on sale too cheap to pass up so I got it, set it up and gave it a try with Shields Up and a couple of other test sites *after* removing Sygate. Results: All ports are stealthed, everything is fine, it's working well. BUTT! I got exactly the same results with Sygate. I only have one computer, I don't need or want to share an internet connection so.... is there any reason NOT to take the router back to Fry's and use the refund for something else I need? Wandering aimlessly around grc.security, I heard XS11E mention: > ...

when is secure, secure?

ROUTER SECURITY?
Can anyone tell me if a router can be hacked? I have a speedstream router connected to my NT server which shares the internet for our LAN. I have a firewall on the server and it uses a NAT server to share the connection with the LAN. Thanks, JC "Jim" <jcockerham@acsjava.com> wrote in message news:9kurfn$1lvl$1@news.grc.com... > Can anyone tell me if a router can be hacked? I have a speedstream router > connected to my NT server which shares the internet for our LAN. I have a > firewall on the server and it uses a NAT server to share the connection w...

Router to router
This is probably a simple oversight on my part but I'm not finding it. I have a cable modem going to a befsr41 router going to 2 PC's with everything set to DHCP. All is working good. Now I've added a befsr81 router to one of the open ports on the 41 router so I can network a new server and some POS stations that I'm working on. The networking part is going ok, I have the server and one POS station talking happily through the 81, but I haven't been able to get any internet at all. The 81 router setup page says that it got an IP, subnet and DNS from the 41 rout...

Securing a router
Linksys routers characteristics are widely known. Websites warn you to change the default password, and to take other measures to insure that the well-known Linksys defaults can't be used against you. So, I have a newbie question. Everyone knows that, behind the Linksys router, there is a VERY high probability that the IP address range is 192.168.1.*. So, whats to keep someone from sending 253 probes to an address they believe to be a Linksys router with a spoofed address of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254. (IIRC, the DHCP default starts at 192.168.1.100). If they have correc...

Web resources about - TheMoon worm targets routers - grc.security

Some Linksys routers targeted by TheMoon malware
... gain control remotely, possibly turning a group of infected routers into a botnet. The vulnerability has been exploited by malware dubbed TheMoon, ...

There's now an exploit for 'TheMoon' worm targeting Linksys routers
Technical details about a vulnerability in Linksys routers that's being exploited by a new worm have been released Sunday along with a proof-of-concept ...

Linksys 'TheMoon' Malware: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com
If you use a Linksys router, then you may be vulnerable to "TheMoon," a bit of router malware. Here's what you need to know to stay safe!

Worm 'TheMoon' infects Linksys routers
A self-replicating program is infecting Linksys routers by exploiting an authentication bypass vulnerability in various models from the vendor's ...

Worm 'TheMoon' infects Linksys routers
A self-replicating program is infecting Linksys routers by exploiting an authentication bypass vulnerability in various models from the vendor’s ...

Linksys wireless routers affected by worm called TheMoon
The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center discovered a worm that affects older Linksys wireless routers after receiving multiple complaints ...

JAXA/NASA Captures 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The joint JAXA/NASA Hinode mission captured this images of an annular eclipse of the Sun on May 20, 2012. During an annular eclipse the moon ...

The Moon Maid
I MET HIM in the Blue Room of the Transoceanic Liner Harding the night of Mars Day-June 10, 1967. I had beenwandering about the city for several ...

Inconstant Moon: The Moon at Perigee and Apogee
Inconstant Moon: The Moon at Perigee and Apogee

A n d r e w B u c h . c o m
Update: Trippolette has been released on the Rock Band Network, and is currently one of the top-ten best sellers! It's song page is located ...