ping ping ping ping

Are you guys getting pinged to hell tonight also?
I must have been pinged thousands of times tonight
0
code_wrong

"code_wrong" <tac@tac.ouch.co.uk> wrote in message
> Are you guys getting pinged to hell tonight also?
> I must have been pinged thousands of times tonight

It's the Nachia / Welchia worm.
0
Big
8/22/2003 11:45:00 PM
"Big Tom" <unisteel_tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "code_wrong" <tac@tac.ouch.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Are you guys getting pinged to hell tonight also?
> > I must have been pinged thousands of times tonight
>
> It's the Nachia / Welchia worm.

This is the anti worm worm?
The one that disinfects and protects from the msblast

I am not surprised they manage to find so many hosts.

A newbie friend of mine got his laptop out of the box,set up the isp
and of course the MS firewall was off by default and the machine required 30
security updates..... (xp home)...
If I had not set up the firewall for him he would be none the wiser ..
0
code_wrong
8/23/2003 12:04:00 AM
code_wrong wrote:
> Are you guys getting pinged to hell tonight also?
> I must have been pinged thousands of times tonight

I am not, here is why...my ISP sent out this email today.

"In order to continue stabilizing our network, Adelphia will be taking
additional measures that will impact a small percentage of Power Link
customers that use ping commands. Low-level pings will be blocked for an
undetermined amount of time. If you use pings, you may not be able to
ping anything outside the Adelphia network while this block is in place.
This will only affect the small percentage of Power Link customers who
use pings. As soon as the spread of the worm is under control and our
network is stabilized, we will remove this block. We regret to have to
put this block into effect, but it is crucial to stabilize the network
and reduce the number of requests currently flooding our system due to
the virus."

Sean Kohlmeier
0
Sean
8/23/2003 12:52:00 AM
> This is the anti worm worm?

That's the one.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100559.htm
0
Big
8/23/2003 1:16:00 AM
"Sean Kohlmeier" <sean_kohlmeier@first-source.net> wrote in message
> "In order to continue stabilizing our network, Adelphia will be taking
> additional measures that will impact a small percentage of Power Link
> customers that use ping commands. Low-level pings will be blocked for an
> undetermined amount of time.

Cox Cable is doing the same thing.
0
Big
8/23/2003 1:18:00 AM
"code_wrong" wrote
> "Big Tom" wrote
>> It's the Nachia / Welchia worm.
>
> This is the anti worm worm?
> The one that disinfects and protects from the msblast

Addendum.
The one that (sometimes) installs the patch incorrectly. (There have
been occurrences of machines infected with Nachi and MsBlast.)

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit, what fool came up with
"quit while you're ahead"?

> "Sean Kohlmeier" <sean_kohlmeier@first-source.net> wrote in message
>> "In order to continue stabilizing our network, Adelphia will be taking
>> additional measures that will impact a small percentage of Power Link
>> customers that use ping commands. Low-level pings will be blocked for an
>> undetermined amount of time.
>
> Cox Cable is doing the same thing.

Not RCN--though I have asked them to do so several times.  Deaf, and
definitely, *dumb* ... :-\

    Robert

--�
eMail:              RobertTaylor@SpamCop.net
Web-Address: http://users.rcn.com/robertt.nh.ultranet/Web-SitePg1.htm

                                      SILENCE IS FOO
0
Robert
8/23/2003 7:10:00 AM
In news:bi740c$oph$1@news.grc.com,
Robert Taylor <RobertTaylor@SpamCop.net> sent:

> In news:bi6fb5$9dp$1@news.grc.com,
> Big Tom <unisteel_tom@hotmail.com> sent:
>
>> "Sean Kohlmeier" <sean_kohlmeier@first-source.net> wrote in message
>>> "In order to continue stabilizing our network, Adelphia will be taking
>>> additional measures that will impact a small percentage of Power Link
>>> customers that use ping commands. Low-level pings will be blocked for an
>>> undetermined amount of time.
>>
>> Cox Cable is doing the same thing.
>
> Not RCN--though I have asked them to do so several times.  Deaf, and
> definitely, *dumb* ... :-\
>
>     Robert
>
> --�
> eMail:              RobertTaylor@SpamCop.net
> Web-Address: http://users.rcn.com/robertt.nh.ultranet/Web-SitePg1.htm
>
>                                       SILENCE IS FOO

Correction:  looks as if RCN may indeed (finally) have blocked Pings at the
edge of the netblock I'm on;  they still have not contacted thousands of
infected users on that ipblock, however, who are hammering away at my
firewall like it was going out of style.  (I wrote them, recommending Robin
Keir's program, many days ago.  Silence.)

    Robert
0
Robert
8/23/2003 7:22:00 AM
"code_wrong" <tac@tac.ouch.co.uk> wrote in message

> This is the anti worm worm?
> The one that disinfects and protects from the msblast
>
> I am not surprised they manage to find so many hosts.

I find thousands of them in my ZAP log. What's interesting is that almost
all of them come from my own ISP's IP block. Anyone know why?

> A newbie friend of mine got his laptop out of the box,set up the isp
> and of course the MS firewall was off by default and the machine required
30
> security updates..... (xp home)...
> If I had not set up the firewall for him he would be none the wiser ..

I, too, was surprised at that when I cleaned the Blaster off of my brother
in law's XP Home system. One mouse click turned it on and he came up "clean"
at ShieldsUP. I could be wrong, but I suspect the average home user doesn't
need anything "listening" on a port so it might as well block 'em all
(incoming) by default. If someone wanted to have a server of some kind
listening for connections, they should be sophisticated enough to enable
that port. "Running a server" is against most AUPs anyway.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."
"Sean Kohlmeier" <sean_kohlmeier@first-source.net> wrote in message
> code_wrong wrote:
> > Are you guys getting pinged to hell tonight also?
> > I must have been pinged thousands of times tonight
> >

> I am not, here is why...my ISP sent out this email today.
>
> "In order to continue stabilizing our network, Adelphia will be taking
> additional measures that will impact a small percentage of Power Link
> customers that use ping commands. Low-level pings will be blocked for an
> undetermined amount of time. If you use pings, you may not be able to
> ping anything outside the Adelphia network while this block is in place.

.... and presumably no incoming. So maybe that's why my log shows only pings
from inside my ISP's IP block.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."
0
Jim
8/23/2003 12:47:00 PM
Jim Nugent wrote:

> I, too, was surprised at that when I cleaned the Blaster off of my brother
> in law's XP Home system. One mouse click turned it on and he came up "clean"
> at ShieldsUP. I could be wrong, but I suspect the average home user doesn't
> need anything "listening" on a port so it might as well block 'em all
> (incoming) by default. If someone wanted to have a server of some kind
> listening for connections, they should be sophisticated enough to enable
> that port. "Running a server" is against most AUPs anyway.

Applications like IM (Win/MSN Messenger) or Net Meeting have
listening open ports associated with them .... but they're
not in the common ports list and they change every few
minutes AFAIK.... running them doesn't contravene any
"Acceptable Use Policy"...

Regards,

Marek
from deepest, darkest Qu�bec
0
Marek
8/23/2003 12:56:00 PM
Apparently I can ping outside my block or inside but both have very low
return rates. See below:

C:\>ping www.execpc.com

Pinging www.cwws.voyager.net [169.207.16.48] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 169.207.16.48:
    Minimum = 120ms, Maximum =  120ms, Average =  30ms

C:\>ping www.execpc.com

Pinging www.cwws.voyager.net [169.207.16.48] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 169.207.16.48:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

C:\>ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging a562.cd.akamai.net [81.52.248.152] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 81.52.248.152:
    Minimum = 160ms, Maximum =  160ms, Average =  40ms

C:\>

I shudder to think of all those ICMP packets bouncing around.

I'd better stop pinging or they'll think I'm infected.
--

"Robert Taylor" <RobertTaylor@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> In news:bi740c$oph$1@news.grc.com,
> Robert Taylor <RobertTaylor@SpamCop.net> sent:
>

> Correction:  looks as if RCN may indeed (finally) have blocked Pings at
the
> edge of the netblock I'm on;  they still have not contacted thousands of
> infected users on that ipblock, however, who are hammering away at my
> firewall like it was going out of style.  (I wrote them, recommending
Robin
> Keir's program, many days ago.  Silence.)
>
>     Robert

0
Jim
8/23/2003 12:57:00 PM
In message <bi71pt$nau$1@news.grc.com> PnG wrote:
>"code_wrong" wrote
>> "Big Tom" wrote
>>> It's the Nachia / Welchia worm.
>>
>> This is the anti worm worm?
>> The one that disinfects and protects from the msblast
>
>Addendum.
>The one that (sometimes) installs the patch incorrectly. (There have
>been occurrences of machines infected with Nachi and MsBlast.)

A worm with a bug?
--
Eric Erades                                        "It's MY connection"
This message is powered by T U R N P I K E          PGP key: 0xAF50C466

PING, PING, PING
What's the EASIEST way to code a PING method in .NET? I want to test if a W2K server is availble on the network in my asp.net application. Also, does anyone know how to test if a web service is available? (kinda a ping for a site)...

Ping
Frank, what happened to the schedule and inclusions of CAs? Is there any problem preventing us from continuing to process the CAs which are ready for the comments period? -- Regards Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. Jabber: startcom@startcom.org Blog: https://blog.startcom.org On 10/29/2008 11:13 PM, Eddy Nigg: > Frank, what happened to the schedule and inclusions of CAs? Is there any > problem preventing us from continuing to process the CAs which are ready > for the comments period? > BTW, I'd like to propose to cut the comments period to one week, wit...

Ping Robin Keir...ping....ping
Is SuperScan v4.0 compatible with Vista ??? TIA. -- "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Johannes Niebach wrote: > Is SuperScan v4.0 compatible with Vista ??? > TIA. As long as you're pinging Robin... Hey Robin, is Neutron still okay? I haven't been able to reach my NTP servers lately from three different PCs. Got any ideas? Greg wrote: > Johannes Niebach wrote: >> Is SuperScan v4.0 compatible with Vista ??? >> TIA. > > As long as you're pinging Robin... &g...

Ping? ping? helloo?
I'm surfing this "net" thing perfectly well this morning on my XPH system, all browsers work fine (IE7, Opera 9.5.2, FF3.01 under openDNS) except for the login function on one group page which won't load. So to see if they're having trouble I go to ping their server and, indeed, I get timed out. But as I always do I make sure I'm pinging OK by pinging Amazon and/or Novell and/or Microsoft and/or INSERT FAMOUS COMPANY HERE and lo and behold -- every request times out. How can I be surfing verified uncached, brand spanking new page loads, and unable to...

$dbh->ping() not pinging?
Without the extra ping (see the line following the XXX comment) this program fails on the second "select ..." with "DBD::mysql::db selectrow_array failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query at dbitest line 19." Why do I need to ping twice? I am using perl 5.6.1, DBI 1.21 and DBD::mysql 2.1011. I also tried upgrading DBI to 1.32 and DBD::mysql to 2.1022; but it didn't change anything. - ask #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use DBI; my $dbh_cache; sub db_open { ## XXX - add an extra ping so the second ping will work properly! ...

To reply to ping or not to reply to ping
I heard/read in <http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-313.htm> > So exactly as you say, Tom, it seems to me, it's unfortunate, but if the > end user wants more security, being stealthful, looking like there's > nobody there and not responding to a ping is the way to do that Yah, right Steve Gibson.. #1 Quick quote from Title/Location: dslreports.com -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Security -> Security -> What is the danger of posting IP Address(es) online?? the post by DSLR user name Woody79_00 (#1037783) on 2011-06-30 at 13:11:12 Direct URL <...

Good Ping, Bad Ping
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Using Bm36ee all patched runs very nice mostly. Recently we moved to a new = ISP and all routes are good but here's the deal: There are static natted hosts inside the bm server, which I can ping just = fine as public IPs (no vpn client), and with a ping packet size of up to = 7500 bytes. But if I load my VPN client (have tried a few, bm 3.7.4 and bm = 3.8.x) and try to ping the hosts (using their private IPs of course), then = the best packet size I get is ...

ping
Am I still subscribed? Or has this list mostly died? On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 02:16:08PM -0700, Rob Bloodgood wrote: > Am I still subscribed? Or has this list mostly died? Are those my only choices? ...

ping
Hi I install OC on Linux 7.0, all works fine, but i have a little question: how can i ping to a server?? (ie. from DSEdit like Win) In DSEdit i dont see ping button. Thanks!! On dsedit if you right click the name of the server(left pane) you should have the ping option. What version of dsedit do you have? This is valid for the 11.1.1(installed with Sybase Central 3) Regards Marcio "Luciano" <lucianograffi@gmx.net> a �crit dans le message de news: i8GJqjjFCHA.290@forums.sybase.com... > Hi > I install OC on Linux 7.0, all works fine, but i have a lit...

Ping
Hi, I have been searching a good part of this day for an example of how to ping from ce. I came accross http://www.topwizprogramming.com/ and after figuring out that icmp.dll is now iphlpapi.dll I have had no luck with my attempt to use this api. Any help or pointers i would fully appreciate as my brain is now racked and no longer wants to think :( Matt, following works fine // external functions FUNCTION ulong IcmpCreateFile ( ) LIBRARY "Iphlpapi.dll" FUNCTION ulong IcmpCloseHandle ( ulong handle ) LIBRARY "Iphlpapi.dll" FUNCTION long IcmpSendEcho ( ...

ping
I installed a second server in the network with minimal configuration I mean don�t install anything about web server. I installed and configured the DNS and DHCP and at the console both of them work fine, but when I try to ping to mail.muebleriagonzalez.com instead of 192.168.1.102 the ping respond that the host does not exist. Here is the named console status: Logged in as Server Locator name is [DNS-DHCP.msgzz] Zov: Server obj name read from NCP srvr obj is DNS_NETMAIL.msgzz DNS Server Init complete. Ready to recv data on Port 53 Cache Add Zone: Loaded zone mail.muebler...

ping
Our network consist of 100 WinXP/2K workstations connected to Netware 5.0 server via IP only. WINS, DHCP and DNS are Windows servers. For a few workstations I can ping the workstation name but not the corresponding IP address . Other than that every is fine. Where or what should I look for? Thanks > Where or what should I look for? If you ping the workstation name the IP address should also work unless the workstation you are pinging successfully has a different IP address. This query is not related to Novell Client so it's out of scope in this newsgroup. Please ask i...

ping
Hi, I am having difficulty getting the Net::Ping module to work properly. I am using ActivePerl 5.6.1.631 on a win32 platform. I can ping a server in a dos prompt ok, but when I try to get the Perl Net::Ping to work it always returns a failure. It seems to ponder over pinging the host for a couple of seconds, and then return a zero as a result, which means that it could not reach the host, if my interpretation of the docs is correct. Here is the snippet in question: my ($pingThing, $host, $pingResult); $host = 'www.google.com'; $pingThing = Net::Ping->new(&quo...

ping
I'd like to show, from the web app, a window displaying the ping time between the client and appeon server (and in general to any server). Is there any solution? Cheers, Marco Hi, You can run the DOS command: ping (ping.exe) using the Run function in PowerBuilder, to display the network speed. For example: run("ping 192.0.0.1") Such kind of code is supported in Appeon. Or, you can also write a DLL using Socket Communication Method to provide ping functionality and then call this DLL in PowerBuilder. Best Regards Gao yongfeng Gao, thank you for the a...

Web resources about - ping ping ping ping - grc.security

Ping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ping Pong, Anyone? Uberpong Offers Paddles Customized With Facebook, Instagram Images
Ping pong paddles customized with photos from Facebook and Instagram ? All that’s missing are hashtags on the handles. continued… New Career ...

Ping! 1.2 resubmitted - rejected due to software library
Some good and bad news Bad news is Ping! 1.2 has been rejected by Apple on Nov 14 due to a software library we used, developed by the Facebook ...

Yee Ping Frühwein (@pinkyvyp) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Twitter Blog: Twitter + Ping = Discovering More Music
Twitter Blog Twitter + Ping = Discovering More Music 1820149276968425416 Thursday, November 11, 2010 Every day, millions of people use Twitter ...

Pediatric Obesity, Ping-Pong, and Puzzle Pieces
... for the Editor in Chief of Childhood Obesity, but rather important for anybody who knows a kid or has ever been one- Pediatric Obesity, Ping-Pong, ...

Network Analyzer - ping, traceroute, whois, DNS, net speed, port & wifi scanner on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get Network Analyzer - ping, traceroute, whois, DNS, net speed, port & wifi scanner on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Do not sleep on ping pong table
jurvetson posted a photo: Our MIT Media Lab guide muttered something about the obvious sometimes having to be overt, with signage.

Ping-Pong-a-Thon: Bringing human trafficking to the table
Ping-Pong-a-Thon started with a bunch of mates hoping to raise some money for a rent-boy rescue charity in Thailand. Five years later, it's a ...

Chillingo's Power Ping Pong Is A $5 Game For Those Who Treat Table Tennis Like A Martial Art (You Know ...
When you're really good at ping pong, sometimes you start to feel like a ninja. Look at you, swinging that paddle back and forth, cutting through ...