Malwarebytes reports Hijack.ControlPanelStyle

Hello,

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes to day and it reported a problem with a
registry setting for the Control Panel. I found the following at their
website:

http://malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php?name=Hijack.ControlPanelStyle

Hijack.ControlPanelStyle
Date spotted:
First seen on 2009-04-17.
Last seen on 2009-06-27.

Detection statistics:
This object is 0.02% of all objects detected.
314,467 instances detected worldwide.

Is this a false positive?  I've been using classic menus since I first
started using XP.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)
1
Chris

Chris (Hunt) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran a scan with Malwarebytes to day and it reported a problem with a
> registry setting for the Control Panel. I found the following at their
> website:

> http://malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php?name=Hijack.ControlPanelStyle
>
> Hijack.ControlPanelStyle
> Date spotted:
> First seen on 2009-04-17.
> Last seen on 2009-06-27.
>
> Detection statistics:
> This object is 0.02% of all objects detected.
> 314,467 instances detected worldwide.
>

> Is this a false positive?  I've been using classic menus since I first
> started using XP.

Unfortunately, there is insufficient info in your post to answer your
question with any confidence. What I'd need to know is location data:
what exactly did MBAM detect (registry keys, files). Is there anything
in the MBAM log file which you could post? Also, what version of the
MBAM database were you using? That should also be in the same log.

Thanks,

--
Le Flake
1
> Chris (Hunt) wrote:
>
>> Is this a false positive?  I've been using classic menus since I first
>> started using XP.
>>

> Unfortunately, there is insufficient info in your post to answer your
> question with any confidence. What I'd need to know is location data:
> what exactly did MBAM detect (registry keys, files). Is there anything
> in the MBAM log file which you could post? Also, what version of the
> MBAM database were you using? That should also be in the same log.
>
> Thanks,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the lack of information, here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2309
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

27-06-09 09:30:02

mbam-log-2009-06-27 (09-29-53).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 96450
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel
(Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

The scan was conducted from admin account. I just ran a scan again from
my limited user account and nothing was detected. So I ran the scan
again on the admin side and nothing was detected either. I haven't
upated Malwarebytes between scans.

Thanks again,

Chris (Hunt)
0
Chris
6/27/2009 9:34:15 PM
Chris (Hunt) wrote:
> Le Flake wrote: edited
>> Chris (Hunt) wrote:
>>
>>> Is this a false positive?  I've been using classic menus since I first
>>> started using XP.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, there is insufficient info in your post to answer your
>> question with any confidence. What I'd need to know is location data:
>> what exactly did MBAM detect (registry keys, files). Is there anything
>> in the MBAM log file which you could post? Also, what version of the
>> MBAM database were you using? That should also be in the same log.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Thanks for the reply, sorry for the lack of information, here's the log:

> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
> Database version: 2309
> Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
>
> 27-06-09 09:30:02
>
> mbam-log-2009-06-27 (09-29-53).txt
>
> Scan type: Quick Scan
> Objects scanned: 96450
> Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 34 second(s)
>
> Memory Processes Infected: 0
> Memory Modules Infected: 0
> Registry Keys Infected: 0
> Registry Values Infected: 1
> Registry Data Items Infected: 0
> Folders Infected: 0
> Files Infected: 0

> Memory Processes Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)
>
> Memory Modules Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)
>
> Registry Keys Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)
>
> Registry Values Infected:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel
> (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> No action taken.
>
> Registry Data Items Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)
>
> Folders Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)
>
> Files Infected:
> (No malicious items detected)

> The scan was conducted from admin account. I just ran a scan again from
> my limited user account and nothing was detected. So I ran the scan
> again on the admin side and nothing was detected either. I haven't
> upated Malwarebytes between scans.

There's a link to another person with the same problem:

<http://malwarebytes.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t15218.html>

I suspect that it's _not_ a false positive for two reasons:

[1] The registry key doesn't exist in my (cough) clean registry of XP
Pro SP3 _and_ I also use classic menus

[2] It keeps coming back after each reboot as other folks have reported.

You may need to run other malware detectors - I would recommend
downloading SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Don't set
them to run automatically, just run them "on-demand" to see if they
detect it.

Hope that helps,

--
Le Flake
0
"Chris (Hunt)" <ibz62ma02CUT@CAPITALSsneakemail.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: h263c4$18v7$1@news.grc.com...
>>> Is this a false positive?  I've been using classic menus since I
>>> first
>>> started using XP.
>>>

> Registry Values Infected:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ForceClassicControlPanel
> Chris (Hunt)

Hi Chris,

When you say: "I've been using classic menus since I first started using
XP", you're talking for all your menus, not only the Control panel menu.

This key, when exists restricts the display mode of the control panel
only. If set to "1", the display use the classic view and if "0", it use
the categorised view.

If the key doesn't exist, you can choose between the classic and the
categorised view.

So it's a strange report of infection, or may be they are reporting that
as on PC with a classic (not tweaked) install this key doesn't exist...

Denis

0
Denis
6/28/2009 10:33:17 PM
Le Flake wrote: edited

> I suspect that it's _not_ a false positive for two reasons:
>
> [1] The registry key doesn't exist in my (cough) clean registry of XP
> Pro SP3 _and_ I also use classic menus
>
> [2] It keeps coming back after each reboot as other folks have reported.
>
> You may need to run other malware detectors - I would recommend
> downloading SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Don't set
> them to run automatically, just run them "on-demand" to see if they
> detect it.
>
> Hope that helps,

Thanks for the advice. I deleted the key and rebooted. It didn't return.
Since I had Spybot Search And Destroy I ran it. It failed to find
anything. I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware and installed it. I used a
custom scan. It didn't find anything either. The reply from Denis
mentions a tweaked install. I did use Nlite when setting the
installation up. With this new information in your view do you still
feel this is not a false positive?

Cheers,

Chris
0
Chris
6/28/2009 10:44:24 PM
Denis wrote: edited

> Hi Chris,
>
> When you say: "I've been using classic menus since I first started using
> XP", you're talking for all your menus, not only the Control panel menu.
>
> This key, when exists restricts the display mode of the control panel
> only. If set to "1", the display use the classic view and if "0", it use
> the categorised view.
>
> If the key doesn't exist, you can choose between the classic and the
> categorised view.
>
> So it's a strange report of infection, or may be they are reporting that
> as on PC with a classic (not tweaked) install this key doesn't exist...
>
> Denis

Hi Denis,

I just deleted the key and after a reboot it has remained deleted. I did
use Nlite to set this installation up but that was several years ago. Do
you think that could account for the registry key? I use Classic menus
in all cases. I find Windows fairly unusable with its defaults.

Chris
0
Chris
6/28/2009 10:49:01 PM
"Chris (Hunt)" <ibz62ma02CUT@CAPITALSsneakemail.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: h28s4f$a79$1@news.grc.com...

> Hi Denis,
>
> I just deleted the key and after a reboot it has remained deleted. I
> did use Nlite to set this installation up but that was several years
> ago. Do you think that could account for the registry key? I use
> Classic menus in all cases. I find Windows fairly unusable with its
> defaults.
>
> Chris

Yes, you could have made this tweak when customising your Nlite
configuration.

Now that you have deleted this key, you have the choice to toggle
between classic or categorised view in the Control panel.

Denis

0
Denis
6/29/2009 12:54:27 AM
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:33:17 +0200, Denis wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> When you say: "I've been using classic menus since I first started using
> XP", you're talking for all your menus, not only the Control panel menu.
>
> This key, when exists restricts the display mode of the control panel
> only. If set to "1", the display use the classic view and if "0", it use
> the categorised view.
>
> If the key doesn't exist, you can choose between the classic and the
> categorised view.
>
> So it's a strange report of infection, or may be they are reporting that
> as on PC with a classic (not tweaked) install this key doesn't exist...
>
> Denis

I am puzzled. I use a slightly altered version of the Windows Classic
theme (I have a different font selected, and slightly different desktop
icon spacings), I have Classic Start Menu selected, no trace of the key
mentioned by the OP, and the Control Panel menu behaves like all the
others, with no toggling options at all.

XP HE SP2

--
no nym
0
>> If the key doesn't exist, you can choose between the classic and the
>> categorised view.
>>
>> Denis
>
> I am puzzled. I use a slightly altered version of the Windows Classic
> theme (I have a different font selected, and slightly different
> desktop
> icon spacings), I have Classic Start Menu selected, no trace of the
> key
> mentioned by the OP, and the Control Panel menu behaves like all the
> others, with no toggling options at all.
>
> XP HE SP2
>
> --
> no nym

Do you have the folders pane on the left when you open the Control
Panel ?

If yes, you must close it to see the toggle option on the left pane.

I've just tried it on fresh install XP HE SP3, choosen the Classic theme
and Classic start menu like yours and launched the Control panel; the
toggle option is there on the left pane

Denis

0
Denis
6/29/2009 10:35:16 PM
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:35:16 +0200, Denis wrote:

> Do you have the folders pane on the left when you open the Control
> Panel ?

No panes at all. Just an ordinary menu.

> If yes, you must close it to see the toggle option on the left pane.

Nothing to close.

> I've just tried it on fresh install XP HE SP3, choosen the Classic theme
> and Classic start menu like yours and launched the Control panel; the
> toggle option is there on the left pane

Presumably I tweaked it out of existence so long ago I have forgotten
what I tweaked and how.

--
no nym
0
"no nym" <nonym@example.net> wrote in message
> Presumably I tweaked it out of existence so long ago I have forgotten
> what I tweaked and how.

How to reverse from here ? : http://malektips.com/2000wt0010.html

0
paradoX
6/30/2009 3:06:51 PM
>> Do you have the folders pane on the left when you open the Control
>> Panel ?
>
> No panes at all. Just an ordinary menu.
>
>> If yes, you must close it to see the toggle option on the left pane.
>
> Nothing to close.
>
>> I've just tried it on fresh install XP HE SP3, choosen the Classic
>> theme
>> and Classic start menu like yours and launched the Control panel; the
>> toggle option is there on the left pane
>
> Presumably I tweaked it out of existence so long ago I have forgotten
> what I tweaked and how.
>
> --
> no nym

Or may be, as english is not my language, have I made some mistake in my
explanations.

Pictures will tell more

This one first with the folder pane open:

http://i41.tinypic.com/25iqlux.jpg

next with folder pane closed:

http://i42.tinypic.com/xlj6uc.jpg

It is in french but in the left pane you can see: "Basculer vers
l'affichage des cat�gories" which means "Toggle to the categorised view"

And the last for the result when toggled:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ijs2kw.jpg

Denis

0
Denis
7/1/2009 12:16:37 AM
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 02:16:37 +0200, Denis wrote:

> Or may be, as english is not my language, have I made some mistake in my
> explanations.
>
> Pictures will tell more

No, I think your explanation was just fine, but many years ago I set up
my first XP PC to behave as much like Windows 98SE as possible (because
I was working on several other 98SE PCs at the same time, and found the
layout change timewasting) and since then I have imported those original
settings to every XP PC I have used, so this Control Panel tweak must
date from back then.

And I just found the difference - I have 'Enable Common Tasks in
Folders' disabled (My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance,
Settings) so I don't see any left panes at all.

--
no nym
0

NDS General Object Reports, Security Reports, Users and Groups Reports
--____WNUBBRTGWLGTREETXZYN____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, What snapins do I need in ConsoleOne and where do I get them to = view/use the following objects: NDS General Object Reports NDS User Security Reports NDS Users and Groups Reports Thanks. --____WNUBBRTGWLGTREETXZYN____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____VUQESAZLRJFXXVSYDDUU____" --____VUQESAZLRJFXXVSYDDUU____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <HTML><HE...

Many Wireless Security Breaches Reported At Security Conference
Many Wireless Security Breaches Reported At Security Conference http://www.securitypipeline.com/60402137 ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- There were 32 "Evil Twin" attacks and many other types of security breaches aimed at Wi-Fi users of the recently-concluded RSA security conference, wireless security vendor AirDefense claimed Thursday. In an Evil Twin attack, hackers set up bogus access points and try to get nearby wireless users to log on either. Then, they can steal informati...

Security Report
At the end of the Security Report is a User Information section. It is defaulting to a context where my users are not. I've been unable to find how I can change the context for this section of the report. Any ideas? Rhanft, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support to...

Security Report
I am trying to find a tool to provide me a report to show all the security rights for the directory. Please email me if you know how to achieve this task. Thanks Kris www.jrbsoftware.com - FSrights? LtAuditor ? (www.bluelance.com) Suzanne Miles Volunteer Sysop, Novell Support Connection http://support.novell.com/forums/ ...

How secure is secure?

Report Security
I'm using SQL Reporting Serices 2005.  I want to set the security of the report where everybody can view the report.  I do not want to set each individual id. Any idea on how to do this?    Thanks, Brian Pembroke The easiest way is to create a Network group.  Add anyone that should have access to that group.  Then grant access to the report to that group.- Corwin(My Blog - www.ballhead.com/corwin)...

security too secure

when is secure, secure?

NDS General Object Reports & NDS User Security Reports
--____UVEWLAXZSYAOCXXRXQID____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, What snapins do I need in ConsoleOne and where do I get them to = view/use the following objects: NDS General Object Reports NDS User Security Reports NDS Users and Groups Reports Thanks. --____UVEWLAXZSYAOCXXRXQID____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____GWFFMOKGKATKRFFTBGVZ____" --____GWFFMOKGKATKRFFTBGVZ____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <HTML><HE...

Why is it an error to have both X-Content-Security-Policy and X-Content-Security-Policy-Report-Only ?
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/CSP/Spec#Report-Only_mode If both a X-Content-Security-Policy-Report-Only header and a X-Content-Security-Policy header are present in the same response, a warning is posted to the user agent's error console and any policy specified in X-Content-Security-Policy-Report-Only is ignored. The policy specified in X-Content-Security-Policy headers is enforced. Why is this? This seems like an unnecessary burden which prevents groups from tightening their security policies over time. For example, here at Google, I'm interested in helping resol...

about report reports generation and emailing reports
hi i am a bit new to Bugzilla, i am using 2.18rc3version. and i am facing two problems with report generation. 1) the checksetup.pl shows all the perl modules includig optional perl modules to be installed and available including thse required for graphical report generation. but despite this i am able to get tabular reports generated but when i click for line/bar reports of the same tabular report the next page does not show the required pie/bar reports. 2) is there any facility for sending these generated reports to the client via email through Bugzilla? kindly help. regards...

VeriSign Releases Internet Security Intelligence Briefing Reporting Year-End Trends in Internet Usage, Security, and Fraud
Quarterly Briefing Compiles Unique Data From VeriSign's Critical Infrastructure Services Including Domain Name System, Authentication Services, Managed Security Services and Payment and Fraud Protection Services MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- VeriSign, Inc. the leading provider of critical infrastructure services for the Internet and telecommunications networks, today released the second edition of the quarterly VeriSign Internet Security Intelligence Briefing. This quarter's briefing displays clear and dramatic growth in secure online commerce w...

Securing Report Access
I want to create a table to control which records are returned in a dataset on a user by user basis.  The table would have a structure similar to the example below and have a provision to allow certain users access to every record: Employee     OfficesA                  3,9,12B                  8,12,14C               &nb...

SecurAble TROUBLE Reports
Everyone!! Please post your TROUBLE REPORTS on this thread. I'll work with everyone to quickly nail any problems. For CPU misidentification, please post the output of the CPUID Dump screen ... which you can Copy and Paste from the app into your trouble reports posting. Thanks so much!! -- ________________________________________________________________ Steve. -------------------------------------------------------------- During the development of "SecurAble" the current release will always be located: http://www.GRC.com/miscfiles/SecurAble.exe ---...

SecurAble SUCCESS Reports
Everyone!! Please post your SUCCESS REPORTS on this thread. I'll very much appreciate knowing where SecurAble has succeeded and also whether it's doing a better job now than it was before. Thanks so much!! -- ________________________________________________________________ Steve. -------------------------------------------------------------- During the development of "SecurAble" the current release will always be located: http://www.GRC.com/miscfiles/SecurAble.exe -------------------------------------------------------------- Worked as expected o...

Secure Report Distribution
We are looking for ideas on how to distribute Infomaker reports within the college without compromising database security. We have discovered that removing the password information from the .ini files cause them to be prompted for, but the user still must know a password. Is it possible to use an encrypted password with Infomaker? ...

How Do I secure the Summary reports.
Hi. I would like to only allow logged in users to access the summary reports. Currently anyone can access them and they have all the e-mail addresses visible (The bugs themselves cannot be accessed). Try typing "Bugzilla Query Kitchen" into google and see why I want to restrict access. Thanks. Eamon. Eamon wrote: > I would like to only allow logged in users to access the summary reports. > Currently anyone can access them and they have all the e-mail addresses > visible (The bugs themselves cannot be accessed). Assuming you have Bugzilla 2.16.5 (...

Security flaw report
Name: Paul Mc Kenna Email: pmckennaatfastmaildotus Product: Firefox Summary: Security flaw report Comments: I didn't know where else to send this...... While attempting to connect to this site http://classic-media-player.citywebonline.com/11-installing-media-player-window.html I was quietly redirect to this site http://themymoviessite.com/movie/black/0/21/541/20/ A very convincing dialogue comes up saying that an activeX plugin is missing and the user needs to click "continue" to download the missing file. I did not click anything and was simply view...

SecurAble Status Report
Gang, I wanted to check-in after just finishing recording two SN episodes (71 & 72) with Leo for the holidays, and before I make a new cup of coffee and plow back into SecurAble ... SecurAble's kernel-mode driver is up and running, loading and unloading nicely on the fly, and leaving no debris or trail behind. But the Windows' kernel has been somewhat deliberately crashing over and over for the past day. By "somewhat deliberately" I should explain that while I am wishing that it weren't so, I need to do it deliberately while I'm trying to na...

How to secure session hijacking?
We are using Delphi 2010 for our web based application. So far we have our own session handling techniques to generate the session id. Now, we have been asked to implement industry wide accepted session technique. For handling the session management in Delphi, are there any proven industry wide accepted session techniques? How about web snap session controls? Does it belong to proven session technique? How secure will it be by using cookies or binding the session id & IP address? Please provide your views. Thank you in advance. Kind regards, Srividya. > {quote:titl...

Hijacker and Security--What gives?
Hi, I am running WIN XP HE, IE6.0. I am also running PC Cilin Internet Security with built in firewall, etc. I was surfing today and from a search engine went to a web site that seemed to offer an IT solution I might have needed. As soon as I got on the site it wanted to install an app and the dialog box came up asking me if I wanted to install it--I clicked No. Nervertheless, next time I opened up my IE, my home page was changed to something like www.home-page.com\bm (similar) and my CD drive opened on its own (from an automatic command run by the hijacker)--all of this along with a...

Report Control (report viewer and report designer)
Hi there! ive looked over the forums and other websites that you referred but i dont have any luck for reports. i created a page that has simple data-entry, aside from that, i do want to have a printable report on what are the items i have added this day. i am using a report designer (rdlc) and a report viewer, which is in a aspx page. ive explored how it works for a simple select statement but i want to know how it will work for parameter passing. a referral for a tutorial website for the report viewer and report designer is very much appreciated. or if you want to share your...

Web resources about - Malwarebytes reports Hijack.ControlPanelStyle - grc.security