Malicious Software Removal Tool vs Microsoft Defender

I had thought that Defender was the replacement for MSRT, but now I'm not so
certain.

Anybody ?

--
- Fred

0
FredC

"FredC" <fred26cor@primus.ca> wrote in message
>I had thought that Defender was the replacement for MSRT, but now I'm not
>so
> certain.

No, it isn't a replacement, as such.  Since MS doesn't know which computers
are running Defender, they put out a new version of MSRT each month with
updates for new things to check for.  And I don't know the internal workings
of MSRT, so I don't know what it is trying to "remove".  But the idea is to
attempt to remove some kind of malware that might impact the monthly
security updates.

And remember, just because someone is using Defender, or another tool like
it, doesn't mean that a computer can't get infected with some new malware
that hasn't been added to Defender's data base.

--
Robert
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets

0
Robert
5/17/2007 1:23:30 PM
Robert Wycoff wrote:
> "FredC" <fred26cor@primus.ca> wrote in message
>> I had thought that Defender was the replacement for MSRT, but now
>> I'm not so
>> certain.
>
> No, it isn't a replacement, as such.  Since MS doesn't know which
> computers are running Defender, they put out a new version of MSRT
> each month with updates for new things to check for.  And I don't
> know the internal workings of MSRT, so I don't know what it is trying
> to "remove".  But the idea is to attempt to remove some kind of
> malware that might impact the monthly security updates.
>
> And remember, just because someone is using Defender, or another tool
> like it, doesn't mean that a computer can't get infected with some
> new malware that hasn't been added to Defender's data base.

Thanks, Robert.

So they *are* different, but current, programs.  I believe Defender runs as
a service, passing judgement on programs as downloaded, installed or run and
tries to stop them from doing damage.  MSRT sounds like the older style AV
programs that have to be run manually to scan for malware.
At a point in time, I wonder if they are not checking for the same things?

I tried Blink as a solution to the zero day problem, but finally uninstalled
it because it seemed to be in need of further seasoning.  It sounded good
and I'll probably give it another try in a few months.

--
- Fred

0
FredC
5/17/2007 4:06:01 PM
"FredC" <fred26cor@primus.ca> wrote in news:f2huhj$21hg$1@news.grc.com:

> Thanks, Robert.
>
> So they *are* different, but current, programs.  I believe Defender
> runs as a service, passing judgement on programs as downloaded,
> installed or run and tries to stop them from doing damage.  MSRT
> sounds like the older style AV programs that have to be run manually
> to scan for malware. At a point in time, I wonder if they are not
> checking for the same things?
>
> I tried Blink as a solution to the zero day problem, but finally
> uninstalled it because it seemed to be in need of further seasoning.
> It sounded good and I'll probably give it another try in a few months.

IMHO, both microsoft products need a ton of work.  They are not anywhwre
near replacing something like Spybot search and destroy or AV products.
Blink shows promise.
I always liked the idea of a tripwire type product for windows for free.

--
Ciao, Dave
0
<daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com> wrote:

> I always liked the idea of a tripwire type product for windows for free.
Did you find any - even non-free tools?

Tony.

--
Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived.

>> I always liked the idea of a tripwire type product for windows for free.
> Did you find any - even non-free tools?
>
> Tony.

Blink is closest from what I have heard, haven't tried it yet...
Tripwire for windows does exist.
Prevx comes second I guess, but I haven't tried it either.

I just use spybot and avast with safe hex practices.

--
Ciao, Dave
0