Is there a safer alternative to Skype

If one wants to simply have a free audio conversation with someone else
across the internet. No need for video or file sharing capability
needed, what choices are there other than skype? Which software has as
much privacy as possible in this monitoring-mad world?

Should one insist on a direct connection between both parties? Audio
encryption too, or does that just attract hackers, monitors?

Thanks

Al
0
ARGHH

On 2/23/2014 1:03 PM, ARGHH wrote:

> If one wants to simply have a free audio conversation with someone else
> across the internet. No need for video or file sharing capability
> needed, what choices are there other than skype? Which software has as
> much privacy as possible in this monitoring-mad world?
>
> Should one insist on a direct connection between both parties? Audio
> encryption too, or does that just attract hackers, monitors?
>

> Thanks
>

> Al

I don't know how secure it is from staff, but one of these days
I want to try justin.tv for that. You can require a password for
anyone to see your 'broadcast'. A friend watches you at the
same time that you are watching your friend's broadcast.
May have to have 2 browsers open. Don't know if the 2 casts
are time synched. Don't know if it will work. Just an idea.
PZ
0
PrivacyZealot

Skype security
I just installed Skype but notice that in the 'Skype HOWTO' (http://http://en.opensuse.org/Skype_HOWTO) under privacy and security it says Skype tries to read your mozilla profile >:( and to jail it using apparmor. The profile file that is listed for download seems to be specific to the user that created it. Is it enough if I just replace their -username- with -myusername- in the home directory and change the lib64 to lib in the paths as I only have a 32bit system? Does anyone have a profile for a 32bit system? -- *IBM *Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM ...

Alternative to skype?
Is there a real alternative to skype that works really well on Linux? -- 6tr6tr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ What exactly do you require this skype like app to do? -- Box: Linux 2.6.27.29-170.2.79 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.3.0 | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.3.0)"158" | Intel 965 GM | Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2...

Skype Security
Given that Skype is: a) Apparently a relatively "New" and unprobed subject from the security standpoint. b) Growing in popularity and therefore the likeliehood we will encounter it. We should perhaps know more about it for business and personal environments. And so I am taking the liberty of posting what Skype says about various security and technical issues. And as some of us probe into it furher we can post to this thread. I have taken the liberty of cutting out the irrelevant (from a security standpoint) material. CR Original can be found at www.skype.co...

Skype alternative
Dear friends, Last two days I am trying to find alternative to skype. I started to hate it... I do not like even the idea to use it. It is soooo closed... So I decided to find solution for my family, friends to chat, call (audio, video) using opensource product on linux. I have tried the following: (using same clients and gtalk accounts on both test machines) 1. kopete 1.0.80 Firstly, I like it because it is native in opensuse KDE system. Secondly, it has optional jungle support for gtalk, which is ok for me. The only problem, I cannot turn on jingle support, because ther...

when is secure, secure?

How secure is secure?

How do you secure Skype??
I am using Skype on port 41235 and I am port forwarding TCP/UDP ports (this is what Skype tells me to do along with other pages I read from Google) to my system on my router to avoide RELAYS in Skype. I also have an exception in Windows Firewall to allow Skype. I can't get rid of the Relays unless I forward the TCP port which Sheilds up will give me the following notice after a scan on that port; Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) Unsolicited Packets: PASSED Ping Echo: PASSED Can anyone clarify if there is a serious security risk here, I wish Steve would touch on...

Is Skype Secure?
I'm new to news groups please let me know if I am at the right place. That being said I am not running a lot of security on my network other than I'm behind a NAT router. Some friends want me to hook up with then using Skype. At the very least I imagine Skype will open a port in my router (should I be concerned about this?). Are there any security other issues I should be concerned about using Skype? Any advice is welcome. Bob On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:34:04 +0300, Bob Dobbs <xenochrony22@yahoo.com> wrote: > Some friends want me to hook up with them using Sk...

Alternative Security
Rather than using the inbuilt ASP.NET security I have written my own so I can allow my Oracle users to use their username / password to log-in and I can use my own functions to replace roles to mirror Oracle's menu "responsibility" security. This does exactly what I want, BUT - when users first enter the web site they are being prompted for a user / password for the server itself!!!  I am using IIS to distribute the application from my own server, am I making an obvious mistake is their a simple way around this??    Thanks for any pointers,   OR. ...

How do you secure Skype??
I am using Skype on port 41235 and I am port forwarding TCP/UDP ports (this is what Skype tells me to do along with other pages I read from Google) to my system on my router to avoide RELAYS in Skype. I also have an exception in Windows Firewall to allow Skype. I can't get rid of the Relays unless I forward the TCP port which Sheilds up will give me the following notice after a scan on that port; Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) Unsolicited Packets: PASSED Ping Echo: PASSED Can anyone clarify if there is a serious security risk here, I wish Steve would touch on...

security too secure

The security of VPNs and their alternatives
The push has come at the Credit Union where I work for personal VPNs to allow some employees to work at home with their own high speed internet access provider. The combination of a low level of security expertise among the support staff and the strong desire for convenience among others are making me nervous. I wondered if someone would not mind sharing their opinions regarding the security of VPNs and their alternatives. Some of the alternatives we have looked at are Citrix and Go To My PC ( https://www.gotomypc.com ). -- Nathan Hartley http://ilothlorien.com Nathan Hartl...

Skype??? (security issues)
I'm thinking of getting Skype, just for video conferencing with my friends and family. No desire to dial out. I've already bought a couple cams to test and return the loser. I got an HP Digital Webcam ($20) and Logitech QuickCam ($30), both bottom feeders, but I can aways get something better later if this works out. What I am asking is, are there security issues to installing and running Skype? I think ingress may be a problem, or at least something to configure to permit access should I want to get incoming. Can I skip this and just make outbound? (Not that conve...

Alternate Security Authentication
I have a question regarding security authentication methods for the SQL Anywhere product. We are implementing Siebel Remote at our company and we have a requirement regarding the local database passwords. The security team would like to see the SQL Anywhere DB use the AD password and have AD password changes replicated to the local DB, to be consistent with the Server password. Is there any way to integrate SQL Anywhere with MS Active Directory? Is it possible to upgrade the SQL Anywhere local DB to a version that offers better password management functionality, like forced p...

Web resources about - Is there a safer alternative to Skype - grc.security

Alternative medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alternative medicine methods are diverse in their foundations and methodologies. Methods may incorporate or base themselves on traditional medicine ...

Canberra Liberals' alternatives options paper for Northbourne Avenue
The ACT opposition has proposed bus and cycle lanes on the Northbourne Avenue median or preferential bus treatment at intersections.

Readdle’s Spark has just become an even better alternative to Mailbox
... email app that it acquired in March 2013, on Feb. 26, 2016. If youve been using Mailbox , youre probably already on the lookout for an alternative ...

$1 pill alternative to Turing’s $750 pill gets boost from drug manager
(credit: NEPA Scene/Flickr ) Prescription drug manager Express Scripts Holding Co. plans to make it easier for patients to get a cheap alternative ...

Uber's Testing A New Mass Transit Alternative
Filed under: Green , Transportation Alternatives Continue reading Uber's Testing A New Mass Transit Alternative Uber's Testing A New Mass Transit ...

Trump pushes alternative to gun control after attack
Billionaire hits back against New York Times editorial calling for stronger gun control in wake of San Bernardino massacre

Cabela's 'exploring strategic alternatives'
Sports retailer Cabela's said on Wednesday it is exploring strategic alternatives to enhance shareholder value.

8 alternatives to the holiday newsletter
Is your annual family update feeling as stale as old fruitcake? Reinvigorate it with these innovative storytelling tools.

Paul Ryan Calls For ‘Complete Alternative To The Left’s Agenda’ In First Major Address
Paul Ryan Calls For ‘Complete Alternative To The Left’s Agenda’ In First Major Address

Startup promises a legal alternative to Aereo's TV streaming
TiVo may have dreams of becoming the next Aereo and giving you access to over-the-air TV in the cloud, but one startup isn't willing to wait ...