How secure is secure enough?

July 28, 2008 (Computerworld) This story originally appeared in
Computerworld's print edition.

If there is a Holy Grail in the information security industry, it surely is
the answer to the question, "How secure is secure enough?"

It's a question that many security managers have either avoided answering
altogether or tried to quickly sidestep by throwing a fistful of mainly
pointless operational metrics at anyone who cared to ask.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=321921&intsrc=hm_list
--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX
7/29/2008 5:09:23 PM
📁 grc.security
📃 16608 articles.
⭐ 3 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2174 Views

"paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message
> July 28, 2008 (Computerworld) This story originally appeared in
> Computerworld's print edition.
>
> If there is a Holy Grail in the information security industry, it surely
> is the answer to the question, "How secure is secure enough?"

The author pretty much answers his own question in "1. Decide how secure you
want to be. "  That about covers it all.  Those more concerned with security
will obviously do more research than those who don't and will implement
(either off the shelf solutions or their own design) protections based on
that research.  Those more concerned will also make sure their protections
are working and keep up with potential threats.

I disagree with the analogy of the "Holy Grail" which would imply an
all-in-one solution.  As the threads here show, there are as many solutions
as there are users and each can justify their actions or views.  I guess the
point of the article was there will unfortunately be so many controlling
views there will have to be compromises to the solutions/protections.

0
Dennis