How secure is secure enough?

July 28, 2008 (Computerworld) This story originally appeared in
Computerworld's print edition.

If there is a Holy Grail in the information security industry, it surely is
the answer to the question, "How secure is secure enough?"

It's a question that many security managers have either avoided answering
altogether or tried to quickly sidestep by throwing a fistful of mainly
pointless operational metrics at anyone who cared to ask.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=321921&intsrc=hm_list
--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX

"paradoX" <paradoX@lupa.cc> wrote in message
> July 28, 2008 (Computerworld) This story originally appeared in
> Computerworld's print edition.
>
> If there is a Holy Grail in the information security industry, it surely
> is the answer to the question, "How secure is secure enough?"

The author pretty much answers his own question in "1. Decide how secure you
want to be. "  That about covers it all.  Those more concerned with security
will obviously do more research than those who don't and will implement
(either off the shelf solutions or their own design) protections based on
that research.  Those more concerned will also make sure their protections
are working and keep up with potential threats.

I disagree with the analogy of the "Holy Grail" which would imply an
all-in-one solution.  As the threads here show, there are as many solutions
as there are users and each can justify their actions or views.  I guess the
point of the article was there will unfortunately be so many controlling
views there will have to be compromises to the solutions/protections.

0
Dennis

security too secure

How secure is secure?

when is secure, secure?

form security against security
i have a form in my website which is to be filled by user and that form stores in database(sql server 2005). but someone told me that anyone can run script  in textboxes in that form and can damage database, so how to avoid such security lack.  it is common practice to use parameterized sql statements or stored procs to insure you are protected from sql injections attacks. if you concatenate user input directly into a sql statement, then you are at risk.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converte...

Security
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm a Mac user 10.4.8 of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 & am wondering how "Enabling FIPS" will improve my security? I can't seem to find any explanation of FIPS under Thunderbird help. -- Have a good day R Schwager --------------080100010401000103080002 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Tr...

Secure connections: how secure are they?
*QUOTE* ......... both useful and malicious information can be transmitted via network connections. Standard solutions protect computers against threats present in standard network connections, but aren't able to counter threats present in secure connections. Verifying the contents of a secure connection is impossible by virtue of its secure nature, as demonstrated by the different types of protection listed above. As a result, malicious data within secure channels can cause a significant amount of damage, and sometimes more than if it were to be transmitted via a standard, non-s...

Password secure...is it secure?
Yes I just got this baby and I LOVE it! Its great. I have stored all my passwords inside of it (and yes made a few backups from them in secure locations) How secure is this program really? It uses blowfish to encrypt the database but how strong blowfish? 128bits? 256? 448? Anything else I should think about it? I have putted it and its databases inside PGPdisk just to play it safe...but then again Im a paranoid. :) -- Markus Jansson ************************************ My privacy related homepage and PGP keys: http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/ ********...

How secure is AuthenticationTypes.Secure?
I understand that AuthenticationTypes.Secure requests secure authentication using Kerberos or NTLM (??). However, here is a scenario I am trying to understand. Let us say that I am having a regular ASP.NET site - with SSL certificates not installed on the web server. The login sends the request out to an AD server which also does not have certificates installed. However, I have set Secure flag to AuthenticationTypes.Secure. When the username and password data gets transmitted between the application and the LDAP server, how secure are the password and username info? In other words is this in...

Secure By Design: How Guardian Digital Secures EnGarde Secure Linux
"EnGarde Secure Linux is not just another "repackaged" Linux distribution, but a modern open source system built from the ground up to provide secure services in the threatening world of the modern Internet."... http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125195/171/ ...."The Community edition of EnGarde Secure Linux is completely free and open source, and online security and application updates are freely available with GDSN registration."... http://www.engardelinux.org/modules/index/index.cgi -- js ...

Netstorage Secure then UN-Secure
Have a problem with Netstorage: I log in under the secure website of https://ipaddress:51443/oneNet/NetStorage and then after drilling down to folder, the secure web site changes to http://ipaddress:51443/oneNet/NetStorage/Documents. Why??? does it go to the unsecure site? Claudia, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com...

Secure page to Secure page
Name: Jonathan Email: jbeldonatopenwaterloansdotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Secure page to Secure page Comments: I have had several crashes going from a secure page to another secure page. The response I often get is that the page does not exist. This only seems to occur on secure pages. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

java.security.Security issue

Are Security Products a Security Risk?
"Approximately 800 vulnerabilities discovered in antivirus products" http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1445 My antivirus solution Kaspersky is one of them... Sigh... :( On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:05:21 +0800, Ryan Ernest S. Selda said: > "Approximately 800 vulnerabilities discovered in antivirus products" > > > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1445 > > > My antivirus solution Kaspersky is one of them... Sigh... :( This has already appeared here, on 8th July, in a thread entitled "Approximately 800 vulnerabilities discove...

Security Trends
Security Trends - What they forget to secure from L33tdawg Sat Apr 20 @ 16:45(Reads: 325) By: obscure Note: This article first appeared over at our affiliates site EyeOnSecurity.net. The original article can be found here. You set up firewalls, e-mail filtering, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), personal firewalls, Censor Software (both on network and personal level) and they still get in. What I'm referring to is those pesky VBS, similar worms inhibiting the Windows platform right now and maybe a few real life crackers here and there. For the network administrator, this can be a ...

Web resources about - How secure is secure enough? - grc.security

California Shooting Motive Still Unclear Despite Alleged Terror Links
The FBI is investigating, but has not determined whether is was a terror attack.

Doctors: Latest brain scan is good news for Jimmy Carter
ATLANTA (AP) — A recent MRI showing no cancer on Jimmy Carter's brain is "very positive" news for the former president but will not end his medical ...

France’s far-right National Front tops first round of regional vote
France’s far-right National Front (FN) party rode a wave of fear over immigration and terrorism to storm to a commanding position in the first ...

No drama playoff: Selection committee has it easy this time
No need to do any Monday morning quarterbacking about the College Football Playoff.

Laquan McDonald Shooting: Chicago Police Reports Offer Different Account From ...
Washington Post Laquan McDonald Shooting: Chicago Police Reports Offer Different Account From ... KTLA Chicago police reports on the fatal ...

SNL reveals the true aftermath of an alien abduction
Technically Incorrect: After the little green people have let you go, you have to reveal all to the NSA. That's not so easy.

‘Crippled America’ Shines Spotlight On Donald Trump’s Other Career
The Iowa Caucuses are less than 60 days away, and much to the chagrin of some, Donald Trump has maintained a comfortable lead on his competitors. ...

As Silicon Valley Bank surges on loans to tech startups, its exposure to risky loans also rises
Wall Street Journal : As Silicon Valley Bank surges on loans to tech startups, its exposure to risky loans also rises — Silicon Valley's Hometown ...

Go behind the scenes of the U.N. Climate Summit with 'Earth to Paris'
Now is the time to act. More than 40,000 diplomats, experts and advocates, including more than 135 world leaders, are currently in Paris to ...

LA Film Critics pick 'Spotlight' as best film
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Film Critics Association has named "Spotlight," which chronicles The Boston Globe's Pulitzer Prize-winning ...