Another Credit debit card breach

Another Credit/debit card breach.  Here we go again.

This could affect a lot of bank customers not just Regions customers.

============

Bank Reissuing Credit Cards, Citing Security Breach

Regions Bank is canceling the credit cards of 100,000 of its customers in 15
states -- including Indiana -- saying a separate company put their credit
information at risk.

Regions said the security breach involves a company that processes credit and
debit cards nationwide.

The bank, which says it was not responsible for the problem, will issue new
credit cards to its customers soon.

"Many times when this happens, there is no impact whatsoever, but we just
decided to take the extra precaution," said John Kinman, Regions Bank senior
vice president.

Information on how the breach happened and the extent of the risk wasn't
known.

The credit-card processing company works for other banks, so it is possible
that other banks will take the type of action that Regions is taking.

Regions sent letters to all affected customers.

==============================

I sure would like to know the company who processes regions and other credit
cards.

Greg Ro
0
Greg

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:26:19 -0500, Greg Ro
<webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Another Credit/debit card breach.  Here we go again.
>
>This could affect a lot of bank customers not just Regions customers.

>==============================

<Clipped>

>I sure would like to know the company who processes regions and other credit
>cards.

I was called by E*trade yesterday at work. They called my house first
but English isn't my wife's first language. When I called them back
they told my my card had been compromised and that they were closing
the account and issuing me a new card.

I went online and checked my balance and the only things on it were
what I had charged in the last month. Nice of them to call me and let
me know there was a problem.

Annoying because it will be a week or two before the new card arrives.
This was my lowest interest rate card too. Of course I tend to pay the
balance in full each month anyway. ;)

--
Ned
0
> I went online and checked my balance and the only things on it were
> what I had charged in the last month. Nice of them to call me and let
> me know there was a problem.

The one time this happened to me, I didn't find out about it until I tried to
charge something at a local store, and they wouldn't take my credit card! I
called the card issuer and only then did they tell me that the card had been
compromised and they would issue a new one. Needless to say, I was p***ed.
--
Crash

0
Crash
2/7/2006 2:10:16 PM
Greg Ro wrote:
> Another Credit/debit card breach.  Here we go again.
>
> This could affect a lot of bank customers not just Regions customers.
>

> ============
>

> Bank Reissuing Credit Cards, Citing Security Breach
>

> Regions Bank is canceling the credit cards of 100,000 of its
> customers in 15 states -- including Indiana -- saying a separate
> company put their credit information at risk.

<snipped>

> Greg Ro

Yup...

And here is another that you may or may not know about. I see it as
tanatamount to identity fraud

Digital River are now saying that they will not process a credit card order
without a telephone number that is verifiable with my card company. Having
spoken to the card company they say they would never ask for such data to
validate a transaction. So this is data gathering for the sake of it.

So what are DR up to?

I would phone them myself but it is an international call and the music is
not that good :-)

BTW Element5 are a subsidiary I believe.

--
Regards

Ray

0
RayG
2/7/2006 8:32:30 PM
Greg Ro cried "Banzai!" and then wrote::

> Another Credit/debit card breach.  Here we go again.
>
> This could affect a lot of bank customers not just Regions customers.

*sigh*

You'd figure that in this age of security-consciousness,
banks and cc processing companies would be ever more
vigilant in their processes.

My bank had an indirect compromise.  Some stupid employee
had some customer account information on a laptop stolen
from their car.(Unfortunately, my account information
was amongst the list of 'compromised accounts').
  I was contacted and had to close my account
and start a new one. :(  I mean WHO
would put their notebook (containing sensitive
and confidential customer information) unattended in
a car?!!    I was very puzzled by that whole shebang.

Has this always happened?  Or is the media also
getting security conscious and also taking these
events into their reports?

Edmund
--
This statement is false.
0

Most Credit Cards are affected by Security breach
Reposted All Brands of Credit Card are affected About 20 million Visa and 13.9 million MasterCard accounts were compromised; the other accounts belonged to American Express or Discover cardholders. The accounts affected included credit cards and certain kinds of debit cards. Greg R http://snipurl.com/fo3m Free subscription required Greg R wrote: > Reposted If you want to repost something, you know you can cancel the original erroneous post. <http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm> -- valid reply-to: kerrynoyes (at) hotmail (dot) com ...

Anyone have this happen with a credit card before? Possible breach in security?
I logged into my credit card account online the other night, and it had a warning stating my account access has been suspended. It stated: "Important Security Message: This is to inform you that your account may be at risk for unauthorized use. To ensure that it remains protected, we have: - Restricted Account Online access for this account number. - Issued a new card to you. I though to myself WTF? I just used the credit card 15 minutes ago. My next step was to call the credit card company. I managed to get to a nice, English speaking rep. I explained to her what w...

Citibank investigates security breach for online credit cards
Citibank yesterday said it was investigating a suspected information breach in its credit card application Web page, quickly assuring customers that its Internet banking service and existing client databases had not been compromised. The bank said it shut down all of its online application Web pages and online follow-up inquiry services yesterday after an applicant, Tsao Chih-cheng of the Wen Tzao Ursuling College of Modern Languages in Kaohsiung, reported that he could view the personal data information of other applicants. http://www.etaiwannews.com/Business/2003/11/12/1068600177....

Online credit card processing service provider security breached.
Just received notice today that one of my credit cards was cancelled due to a security breach at Anacom communications, an online credit card processing service provider. I checked my credit card, no unauthorized charges, but you may want to check yours. Only problem is, it may be hard to tell what companies use Anacom for their processing. Take care. http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO61554,00.html On a related note, here is an article in Information Security concerning new privacy/security regulations for financial institutions which are taking effect on 7/1: ...

"chip and PIN" credit/debit cards
Are the "chip and PIN" credit/debit cards currently being introduced in the UK more or less secure than the traditional credit cards with only the magnetic stripe? I understand some countries (such as France) have used these for several years and it is claimed that "certain types" of card fraud have been reduced by "up to 80%". It seems to me that having the PIN stored in a chip on the card itself has to be a security risk . -- MFPA AFAIK the pin isn't stored on the chip/card, it is checked via onlinex through to the banks computers (in the ...

RFID Credit card vs Smart Card credit card
So... I received a new credit card from my bank today that has Paypass technology and a chip, and I have some questions about it that I thought maybe people could help me with. 1. Am I correct when I say that the chip that makes one need a pin to make a payment is different from the chip that enables RFID? As I understand it, making the credit card a smart card would be good because it makes it harder to duplicate. However, making it RFID enabled is bad because it makes it easier to duplicate. 2. If the chips are separate, am I correct in saying that all known securit...

SN#124: Verisign one time password token football vs credit card: Since the credit card's not time based and allows a window of keys, doesn't that make it less secure?
I think the subject line kind of says it all. The one-type password tokens (whether the football or credit card) are supposed to be "something you have". With any timer-based system, that's a pretty strong guarantee. If I type the code that the device is currently displaying, that means that I have the device. If someone were to steal the device, I would probably notice that I don't have it and would therefore get it canceled. However, since the credit-card style token isn't timer based solution, we lose some of that benefit. It is quite conceivable that s...

one time credit card paid by credit card
Here in the UK if you want to pay off one credit card with another one, you incur interest charges. I think the reason for this is that if it were otherwise you could go on "the never never", paying of credit cards with credit cards and never actually giving any money back. So I reckon this is the reason why you have to pay your one time credit card from your bank account, otherwise you could have a nice little circle of these things paying each other off. T. Sparrow wrote: > Here in the UK if you want to pay off one credit card with another one, > you incur in...

RFID Credit Card Security
What's in your wallet! "Accusations that RFID-based contactless credit cards can be easily read by thieves are nothing new, but this time a group of scientists at the University of Massachusetts has gone quite far to try to prove it." http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2046590,00.asp -- Virg Wall, P.E. ...

Credit card security on-line
Having read pchelp's problems with ComputerHQ, I was interested in the following snippet from a newsletter . For those who don't know Securicor, it is a long established company dealing with everything from local store security to armoured vans for Bank money transfers, and Court and Prison Security. They also have a countrywide(UK) parcel and courier service. (Just background info. I don't have any connection with them :-)) Seems like a good idea, although its limited of course to the businesses they are signed up with. But checking through their list, its not a bad start...

Secure Credit Card Transaction
I have this problem on how to implement the following security issue. I have a number of websites running which now need s secure Credit Card transaction to be integrated. I have just one secure Web Server(Verisign Secured). 1) If i put a Credit Card Page on the Secure Server and redirect all web sites to that Page , i loose the flow in all the other Web Sites 2) IF i use web services(to do transactions) , client to Unsecure Web servers data will not be secured. There are other solutions which are not practical Can anyone propose a optimal solution to the problem. Let's say you ...

Credit Cards in another pop-up
Name: Adinei Gazani Email: adinei_gazaniathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Credit Cards in another pop-up Comments: Hi. This Firefox is very fast and friendly, but some times I have usued IE7. The problem happens when I try to pay with the credit card and the Firefox not open the other pop-up browser. I have not experience to report this problem, but it is reported in the console error. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no ...

Security codes for credit cards
Name: Stephen Colclough Email: sdotcolcloughatsamsung.com Product: Firefox Summary: Security codes for credit cards Comments: Hi, Just decided to STOP using firefox as my default web browser as it saved ALL my credit card details when making an online transaction. When I came back to the same website some time later to buy something else my card name, number AND security code appeared when I clicked on the boxes. Internet Explorer does not do this on the same website. It might save name and number but never the security code. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; W...

Ecommerce Credit/Debit Cards
How would i go about implementing credit card payments, I have no problem with shopping baskets and such, just with the actual payment. Thanks ______ Bitem2k You will need to get a merchant abank account and an account with one of the payment gateways. Some payment gateways can provide merchant account as well. Check with the websites like Worldpay. You might need to investigate on the net to find the right solution for your needs. Nice one thanks _______ Bitem2k...

Web resources about - Another Credit debit card breach - grc.security

Trump will destroy the Republican party by… leading Hillary in the polls
So this morning I was reading this piece by Michael Gerson in the Washington Post where he explained how Donald Trump winning the GOP nomination ...

El Chapo Captured After Contacting Producers For A Biopic, Says Mexican Crimebuster
Joaquin “ El Chapo ” Guzman was the most notorious drug trafficker on the globe, a ruthless criminal mastermind and a logic-defying escape artist. ...

Abrams skirts Oscars talk for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — J.J. Abrams, director of the blockbuster "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," is deflecting Oscars talk for himself but is ...

New York Police Officer Shot Breaking Up a Brawl in the Bronx
The officer was shot in the ankle and five people were stabbed early Saturday when a large brawl involving as many as 100 people erupted at what ...

Car technology highlights from CES 2016
LAS VEGAS — Car makers didn’t participate in the giant CES trade show until 2007, but you would have never known that by attending CES this year. ...

Egypt hotel attack victims stable, witness recounts ordeal
Three European holidaymakers wounded in an attack in an Egyptian resort were in stable condition on Saturday, as a witness recounted how the ...

N. Korea defiance challenges moral authority of nuclear club
NDTV N. Korea defiance challenges moral authority of nuclear club Hindu Business Line When North Korea claimed triumphantly that it had tested ...

Powerball Hits $900 Million, Giving Buyers 900 Million Reasons To Buy A Powerball Ticket
The Powerball estimated jackpot has hit $900 million. That’s according to headlines like “ Powerball Rises to $900 Million ,” as reported by ...

Iraqi refugee's brother shocked by terrorism arrest
HOUSTON (AP) — The brother of an Iraqi refugee who had settled in Texas said he is in shock after learning that his sibling — who had come to ...

Kanye Announces SWISH Release Date
It looks like Yeezy Season is going to be arriving in the dead of Winter this time around. After a string of new releases over the past few weeks ...